ThinClient pc

I have seen a bunch of these on eBay over the years a few were even marketed as Windows 98 gaming pcs Usually sold with less than 2 GHZ dunno if the chip is socket'd or soldered.

i see Windows XP and 7 but rarely Windows 10
(you can have a fast absolute bare bones Linux so what *nix os is supported there doesn't tell us much)
Any experience converting the to desktop computers?

Can these be upgraded to be a decent gaming pc for mid 2000s games, how much can you upgrade these are they worth a go?

Attached: hp-thin-clients.jpg (960x573, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GDyL2tPyXFA
youtube.com/watch?v=fQR7jdE3wyc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How much are they going for on eBay?

>thin client
>gaming
>upgrade
Just get a used thinkcentre or thinkstation. You'll be much more happy with that.

less than $100 on avarage

also they say you can run them in the car via 12volt addapter,

Yo dawg,
I heard you like GTA so we got you a GTA you can GTA while you GTA!

I use a t620 as a low power server, it only uses ~7 watt. Bought two for 40 eur each, they currently run Debian but could run any distro you throw at them because they are essentially just low-power semi-custom amd64's in a small case. I gave one 16gb of ddr3 ram and 120 gb nvme storage(added 35 eur). It 's been hosting alot of stuff for me no problem, with 24/7 uptimes.

its not that fast, but its perfect for anything small you might want to host. I'm currently running a gitlab, ts3 server, minecraft server, web server and a few other things on it like grafana. all easily managable using docker.

that said, it will probably suck big time as a stand-alone desktop pc, but it has an apu that can run 2010-era things so thats something.

Attached: 1553541039922.jpg (800x1135, 294K)

>Bought two for 40 eur each,
Losts of these are very cheap
>it only uses ~7 watt.
= good battery life if you are traveling with a leisure battery.

> essentially just low-power semi-custom amd64's in a small case
t620

Random listing describes it as having
>Window Embedded Standard 7 - Possibility to install Windows 7

1,65 GHZ cpu
Is that replaceable though sometimes these are soldered on, as long as its not an obscure socket.

>It will probably suck big time as a stand-alone desktop pc

Because of lag or shitty graphics hardware?

> but it has an apu that can run 2010-era things so thats something.

Guessing it would be fine as a backup pc or something to use during power cuts,

XP or a Distro with similar requirements should run fine?

those are meant for simple things like text editing. they have barely enough power to drive the windows ui.

They're pretty powerful nowadays, but you're not going to do any gaming on them.

They reach high temperatures on idle.

I don't know what sort of integrated GPUs these have, but I imagine some of them would be able to run old games.

What are good stats in 1998, 2001, 2007, 2014?
for a reasonable desktop computer

What are stats for minimalist computers in 1998, 2001, 2007, 2014?
Moore's law projects these would catch up
>They're pretty powerful nowadays,
so you could get a miniature computer matching what were decent stats

>They reach high temperatures on idle.
maybe better cooling can help
>integrated GPUs
probably something basic
external graphics card maybe
youtube.com/watch?v=GDyL2tPyXFA

Attached: Fan.jpg (225x225, 6K)

>probably something basic
Yeah, but something basic may still be able to run games from 15+ years ago.

just get a real computer. even some old core2duo is better than a thin client. they are really meant only for office people that edit their excel crap and do nothing else on them. they can barely run the embedded os that that they come with and its usually only used to connect to a remote server where all the real work is done.

so Crysis in 3 years ;)

Will need to check if decent drivers are available for the model i chose, how far from basic bitch desktops? probably a few laptop parts adapted

Think i will give it a shot, anyone else tried these?

I haven't tried them, but YouTube keeps recommending me videos of people fucking around with these things for some reason, so if you look around you should find information.
>Crysis in 3 years ;)
This isn't clever user, there's a pretty large performance difference between Crysis and games launched years earlier. There's a pretty large difference between Crysis and games launched in the same year, even.

>This isn't clever user,
Just having a bit of fun.
>people fucking around with these things for some reason,
Interesting enough for a look.
>There's a pretty large difference between Crysis and games launched in the same year, even.
So TF2 maybe?

Will see about an upgrade to 3ghz
Enough power for a bit of web browsing, animation and video editing, as long as i am not doing Pixar tier graphics.

>So TF2 maybe?
I'm not sure whether modern TF2 still has the same performance or requirements as it did back then. It has been updated plenty after all.

Minimum:
Processor:1.7 GHz
512 MB RAM

Recommended:
Processor:3.0GHz
1 GB RAM

Going to aim for 4gb and 3Ghz or more

WWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Attached: images.jpg (247x204, 7K)

Got one of these to use as a dedicated build server for a large project a couple of years ago.
Paid about £120 for the thing brand new.

It turned out to just be a laptop motherboard, memory, etc in a small desktop case.

The only issue this ever caused was that when I first installed linux it was trying to output video to the 'built in screen' that didn't exist. Had to ssh in and set xrandr, never ran into another problem.

I would be nice if it had spare sata ports and oppertunity for expansion but I have never really needed it.

I wouldn't reccomend one as somebody's primary computer, nor for any kind of gaming.

opportunity*
recommend*

Must remember to proof read.

Where the fuck is the sticker?!

Attached: 00g0g_iWHswZioJ5p_1200x900.jpg (675x900, 91K)

suspect confusing 'thin clients' - basically, a POS so underpsecced, you -need- to offboard half the workload - with 'really small form' mini-PCs here. These are not the same thing, nor can 'thin clients' be useful in gayming, nor for fucking anything else

You can still buy an Ataribox for 240$. Literally the best miniPC under 500$.

youtube.com/watch?v=fQR7jdE3wyc
>was trying to output video to the 'built in screen' that didn't exist. Had to ssh in and set xrandr, never ran into another problem

so default settings can be an obstacle, standard drivers?
>I wouldn't recommend one as somebody's primary computer, nor for any kind of gaming.

I travel a lot for work and sometimes sleep in a van just miss the desktop pc just have the monitor in the hold and the computer in my hand luggage

Traveling with this and power cuts are common at the low budget places i stay at wanna have the monitor on the mains and the pc on the battery power

car batteries can be bought locally and can be cheaper than something specialized for a laptop
airports don't like batteries especially if you want to get some hours, have a monitor and keyboard in the rental car easily replaceable if stolen and insurance covers this while the actual pc is on my person

Attached: s-l225.jpg (225x225, 12K)

> nor can 'thin clients' be useful in gayming
That's where you're wrong, kiddo.
Although CPUs are soldered and it sucks.

I have a dell wyse 7010 (which basically has cut down AMD Jaguar cores) specifically set up as a node between upstairs computers/server and downstairs computer. Linux truly is the best for these little systems unless you are willing to spend the money on M.2 drives because otherwise, youre going to have a bad time as anything you do will instantly shoot up the processes to 100%

>40 eur

Where the fuck do you live? These things start at 110 eur here

Surely a laptop is what you need? Batteries, protable, and many designed for gaming.

>set up as a node between upstairs computers/server and downstairs computer
What do you mean? A node for/doing what?

reverse content filtering adding smut not subtracting it!
>why do you need this?
reasons!

I like to have a big monitor and as long as it has a power brick i can easily convert these run these of a battery.

i sometimes don't have access to grid power but need a bit of power to process and convert video and photos to upload them but dont want to lose clarity, satellite internet is expensive
can hook up to hotel TV if i use an adapter
i want to have the computer(with my work) on my person so size matters,
Keyboard and monitors are very replaceable.

eBay sort by price Low to high

Mirroring processes and data to computers if Im downstairs and Im being a lazy shit, being a dedicated VPN/DNS machine if I start seeding something, also handles some automated home processes (such as security cameras). It also runs remote software so I can remote into any of my main PCs if Im out on the job and need to start something or if Plex is acting up and I need to restart it
It really just turned into a cheap project machine(got it for 30 bucks) to see what I could do with it just for the dick of it
I can also run any emulator up to PS1, anything over that brings it to its knees considering its passively cooled

>I can also run any emulator up to PS1, anything over that brings it to its knees considering its passively cooled
Cooling is an issue, maybe flip the hood and turn on a fan if i want more power.

Lot of these are being solf from Nuremberg wonder why

speedhelp and alles4pc seem to be carrying most of the cheaper listings

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 425K)

Will inquire about socketed CPU.
should be standard desktop or laptop type no?

T730 is is the current model, run around $230 on ebay.

when a big office building decides to replace all their terminals, these things become available on ebay or other local 2nd hand websites for very cheap.

This
Small form factor, Low power consumption off grid potential
Could be a neat little computer, should be perfectly fine for browsing, a few games Photoshop and video/animation software would be fine id guess.

>photoshop
Windows alone will eat 3/4th of its processing power passively. And photoshop won't even run nicely in most core2duo systems its a obese program by Adobe...
giving it a gnu/linux distro will help but rendering or high-poly in blender will lag on any low-power machine.

OK VmWare or maybe Virtual PC/XP mode
The last one explicitly emulated hardware from '95 and '98 era computers.