Which Linux distro for noobie

Hey Jow Forums,
I was wondering what linux distro is best for someone coming from windows 10. My issue with windows 10 is that I don't fully utilize all the features and have been having issues with keeping programs from starting up all the time (especially after an update). I hear linux can be simpler and easier on the system. Based on old info I would have gone with Ubuntu, but i'm not sure now because it seems ubuntu isn't as recommended as it once was. If you guys could give me a handful or less of distros that might be good plus some sources for learning how to use, I can run them in a vm and start working my way to switching over. Thanks

Attached: linuxdchero.jpg (770x602, 108K)

Fedora or Antegroß

Do you guys piss in the sink too?

Debian XFCE

Ubuntu, Linux mint
Do not use arch or any distros that use pacman

Install Gentoo

Debian

Ubuntu or mint . Stick with the xfce versions

#metoo

Actually it's called GNU/Linux not "Linux".

Start light like everyone else and get fedora (or ubuntu if you're fine with Amazon getting all your personal info)

install Xubuntu

Mint is often touted as the best distro for newfigs and I can't say they're wrong about it. It's basically Ubuntu, but with a more Windows-like default DE with more personalization options, as well as with a few repository differences and IMO a better selection of default apps.

Can't really give you outside resources for learning Linux since I learned everything I know about it from college lectures and tinkering, but here's a really basic list of terminal commands to get you started.

pwd
Tells you the working directory of the terminal. This is like the "current folder" in Windows Explorer.

ls -alh
Lists all files and folders in the working directory, as well as some of their properties. The 'a' means list [a]ll the files, even the hidden ones; the 'l' means to [l]ist the files' properties along with the files themselves; and the 'h' means to use [h]uman-readable file sizes when listing the properties.

cd ___
Fill in the blank. Changes the working directory to the one named.

cat ___
Fill in the blank. Dumps the contents of the file named.

man -k ___
Fill in the blank. Searches the user manual for your search term.

man ___
Fill in the blank. Instead of searching the user manual, it assumes you know the name of exactly what page you want (find this out by searching with -k first), and then shows you that complete page. Scroll through the page with arrowkeys, and use q to return to the prompt.

nano ___
Fill in the blank. Opens a text editor called 'nano' that runs within the terminal window. The file will be created upon saving if it doesn't already exist. The filename you specify is used as the file to edit. Use Ctrl+O to save, and Ctrl+X to exit.

sudo ___
WARNING: This can brick your system if used improperly.
Fill in the blank with any other command. The command will be executed with admin privileges after you enter your password.

>My issue with windows 10 is that I don't fully utilize all the features and have been having issues with keeping programs from starting up all the time
wat?
sry if you are too dumb for windows just give up on linux

Ubuntu is the only system my tech illiterate grandparents can use without everything catching fire. Really the only hard part is the initial installation, and that's only if you need to set up partitions for a dual boot.

(cont'd)

cp ____ ____
Copy a file. The first blank is the file to copy, and the second is what name to use for the copy. If an existing directory is specified as the new name, the file will instead be copied into the directory and keep the name it had. If an existing *file* is specified as the new name, it will be *overwritten*.

cp -r ____ ____
Copy an entire directory. The -r stands for [r]ecursive, meaning, copy all the files and directories in the directory as well. Otherwise, the semantics are the same as cp.

mv ____ ____
Move or rename a file or directory. The semantics are the same as cp. The only difference is that after the copy, the original file is deleted. Again, be warned that if the new name to use is already held by an existing file in the same location, then that file will be *overwritten* by the moved file.

rm ____
Delete the file specified in the blank.

rm -r ____
Delete an entire directory.

find ____ -name ____
Search for a file or directory. The first blank is the root directory to start searching from, and the second blank is the search term.

grep ____ ____
Search a file for content. The first blank is the filename, second blank is the search term. The search term is interpreted as a regular expression.

this, without a doubt

>Debian
no.

Ubuntu is fine.

Explain yourself please

just install gentoo

absolute shit native hardware support

Thanks, this is nice
sorry, I didn't know, I've only heard people call it linux before

So far it seems the main distros I'll be looking into are:
>Debian - maybe/maybe not, seems to be a slight difference of opinion
>Fedora
>Mint
>Ubuntu
>Gentoo - never heard of this one, but it looks interesting

Attached: best-free-books-to-learn-linux.jpg (1268x664, 61K)

just pick Mint or Ubuntu, the rest are literal memes

Don't listen to the fag that suggested you install gentoo. It's a meme designed to scare off newbies.

Good distros to start with -
Debian - it uses older packages, but is stable and easy to use. It's a good starter distro that will familiarize you with how to install software, troubleshoot your system and more.
Ubuntu - it's still a good OS now that Canonical de-Amazon'd it by default. 18.04 isn't bad, but I don't like the default desktop environment personally. Good thing it's Linux and you can customize it how you want.
MXLinux - I've been hearing good things about this distro but haven't tried it personally. It's based on Debian and has a pretty active developer community.

what's your hardware

Thanks, can you explain the amazon issue?

this

My fridge and my cat

call me when it supports 144hz

Linux from scratch

>Debian
Debian is really good and was my first distro. Stable comes with ancient packages and drivers, so you'll probably need to enable backports and update the kernel if you want proper support for sound and graphics drivers. Use Unstable if you want to skip this.

>Mint
Probably the best distro for the transitioning Windows user; just werks. Basically a slicker looking Ubuntu without Ubuntu's tendency to pull cuck stunts like search tracking and Amazon shillware.

>Ubuntu
This is the premier JustWerks(tm) distro but the developers are corporate cocksuckers. You may as well just stick with Windows if you're considering switching to this.

>Gentoo
This is the Big Swinging Dick of distros. You will be building this from the ground up and compiling everything. Not really as hard to install or get working as a lot of people think but you should be familiar with Linux before jumping into this otherwise simple shit like getting a desktop environment or WiFi working will leave you scratching your head.

... What, niggerfaggot?