Jow Forums approved router?

Attached: hgj.jpg (582x328, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-rb4011-2-4-5ghz-dual-band-sfp-4-chain-10-gigabit-ports-l5.html
blog.silocitylabs.com/post/2018/01/01/flashing-merlin-to-tm-ac1900-or-ac68u/comment-page-1/
openwrt.org/toh/start
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pfsense

That's software, I think OP is asking about hardware.

Attached: 👌👌.jpg (728x546, 70K)

A Pentium 4 Desktop with 5 ethernet cards and iptables forwarding

OpenWRT, PiHole

RUT955

those aren't routers you fucking turd

I like Mikrotik honestly

literally anything Cisco sells

Ubiquity*

Meraki*

Lol nah.

Build your own.

asus

For home use, almost any of them with the right firmware.

If it needs to be Jow Forums approved then you need hardware that at least supports 1GB throughput.

Bought one of these a couple weeks ago and it's been stable so far running pfsense. Massively overkill for my 75mbit connection, I haven't broken 2% cpu usage yet.

Attached: Qotom-Q330g4-Core-I3.jpg (1000x1000, 142K)

Do you run suricata or snort?

Nothing yet. Not sure if I need to.

Netgate appliance like the sg-3100? You'll need a separate AP however.

Well you don't need to but it's nice to have an IDS/IPS. It you haven't already installed it use pfBlockerNG for sure and add good filters. Service Watchdog can be useful too.

I picked up a WRT32X Linksys for $125 about a month ago, and it seems to me that all the reviews about it are lies.

ultimate botnet

mikrotik
ubiquity arent bad
openwrt compatible routers
some asus aren't bad with Asuswrt-Merlin

I have this, is it Jow Forums approved?

Attached: Selection_026.png (707x585, 42K)

balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-rb4011-2-4-5ghz-dual-band-sfp-4-chain-10-gigabit-ports-l5.html

Fuckin badass router.

yes

I have a wrt1900acs. It just works, runs openwrt just fine.

enjoy your 100 watt idle

retards

Attached: ,7-V-245227-3.jpg (468x351, 26K)

OpenWrt changed my life. Simple-Adblock + DNS-over-TLS is magnificent. If only IPv6 worked properly in WISP mode.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-03 23-53-36.png (828x555, 66K)

Based. I have that cutie too.

I use ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro

>literally what the nsa approved company sells

I'm still using my PCEngines box and don't see it being upgraded in the foreseeable future unless we end up with fibre to the premises here in my part of the UK. As it is, the APU2 and PFSense handle unlimited FTTC speeds fine. I just wish FreeBSD supported more wireless cards for Access Points.

Xiaomi g3.

I have 3 or 4 openwrt routers but I still like my Asus Merlin more.
I used to like DD-WRT for the longest time, but since like 3 years ago DDNS just never worked properly on the newer versions and I'd get a soft brick every other update that required TFTP fuckery to get back to stock and then reload DD-WRT. Eventually I just flashed the ones that supported OpenWRT to that, gave away the others that didn't.

OpenWRT is decently stable, but having to download 4~5 packages just to get USB and Samba to work is a pain in the ass, and it gets too bloated fairly fast when you want to run multiple package functions. I also don't want to be arsed to do soldering and jump through multiple hoops to sideload hack OpenWRT on to some routers. Luckily there are a decent amount of routers out there that can be supported with straight upload or TFTP.

Wish there was an easier way of getting OpenWRT onto something like the super cheap xiaomi routers so I can just plop them down everywhere.

hehhehe HaHAHAHAH

I use this

Attached: 51uypRDQ8hL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 43K)

There isn't one.
Some will say Mikrotik, but is has non-free software.
Some will say ASUS, but it has Broadcom.
Some will say Xiaomi/OpenWRT-flashable router, but Xiaomi lacks LAN ports and choosing a router which fully supports OpenWRT is a pain.

Get your own miniITX PC with Linux for $250 and set it up.

fortinet
>fortnite

fucking zoomers.

What about a Qualcomm platform router? Like the Netgear R7800

MTK routers are starting to flood the market.

Yeah, i`m only a 35. Defintely a zoomer.
Btw i work as a network security engineer and i know well fortinet, paloalto (i have a pcnse certification) and asa/sourcefire (ccnpsecurity).
Fortinet firewall is a really good solution for small/home enviroment.

Ubiquiti is nice if you're poor and want cheap hardware and UI designed for literal bottlefed babbys

I've been using their RF equipment since they launched and have recently used their routers. they work, but god damn is it hard when you know just how much better their competition is

Any IPQ4019/IPQ806x piece of shit in ye OpenWrt Table of Hardware that has a recent wiki entry, forum thread, and can be TFTP flashed without JTAG dongles or other fuckery. Not time to fall for the WiFi 6 meme yet.

the joke
--------------------->
you're head

this

mikrotik stuff is amazing because their cheapest smallest routers have the same functionality as their most expensive shit

your market*

there's a big world out there, and this is definitely not the case for most of the world

Considering a gaming router, what are my best options?
Pic released is interesting because it has 8 LANs

Attached: 936x639x1.jpg (936x639, 47K)

if you have any sense, you'll use openwrt

sorry, you aren't a zoomer....

>on the other hand
ZOOMER

thank you for the input dude. i was looking into what i could use at home (thought about grabbing a Watchguard Firebox t15/t35 used on ebay) but they were still a bit too expensive. I think I'll grab the fortinet that you recommend.

also i'm going for a security path, currently studying for ccna r/s. what has your career been like? job prospects good in security? what's your salary like?

Buy a $40 factory refurb AC1900 and flash it into a $150 AC-68U for free: blog.silocitylabs.com/post/2018/01/01/flashing-merlin-to-tm-ac1900-or-ac68u/comment-page-1/ not my blog, no ban pls

See
They're all the same so just pick one that's easy to flash. Qualcomm's reference designs literally run a hacked up OpenWrt; the OEM has to fuck up pretty bad to break upstream.

> 300 dollarydoos for a non-upgradeable box
Cap it at $100, $150 at BEST, if it has some neat things like SFP. If you're OK with paying $300 for a router which can't be repurposed or upgraded and will only act as a router - it's great. Otherwise, too expensive.
Yes. MTKs are supported by OpenWRT, so no reason to not trust them, if MTK-based routers can be upgraded to newer kernels. Still, Mediatek is infamous for their bad SoCs for Android phones: no sources, no documentation, wacky performance. I'll pass for now, bc no need for a new router right now.

where did u buy that for 125?

im using the old WRT1900ACv1.

this guy fucks

if you guys like free opensource routing/UTM capabilities look into Endian. They have a community edition that's completely 100% free. Linux based.

recently installed one of their APs, the setup is just weird compared to other products, theyre trying to be so easy to setup with that app, but for an experienced user thats just weird, couldnt even give the AP a static ip, and then they have the controller thing which again seems to be targeting enterprises but even that is just weird compared to standard shit

R7800 from china is only $70
Doesn't come with the normal case though.
Still, I already have a AC68U. I'll upgrade when ax becomes common.

Mediatek's network chips are actually Ralink IIRC.
Realtek does networking under their own name now after selling Ralink.

What router should I get if I I have about 1400 connections open at a time?

this + openwrt

Attached: 517C14Xx-JL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 12K)

Be aware that if you want L7 security (with ssl decryption) you need the threat prevention bundle / utm bundle and it`s not cheap at all.
Without the license you are stuck at base Layer 4 protection, and you don`t need a Fortigate for that.
As for career i can suggest you to take ccna, then ccna security. After that you can start with the ccnp security path.
I think the network security will be more and more relevant in the future as every device is gonna be connected in Internet and must be protected in some way.

Is it easy to rollback from OpenWRT to native firmware? Does this depend on hardware?

Yeah it's dependent on hardware, some are as easy as just pointing to the original firmware in the update firmware page, some it's TFTP, some, you have to open up, solder on the serial port and other bullshit.

>ccna - ccna security - ccnp security
basically the path i'm taking now. thanks man

What's the modern, OpenWRT supported version of the WRT54G?

this, but average Jow Forums is probably too stupid to setup an mt device

My favourite router is a cat6 cable plugged straight into my system.

but what is that cat6 cable plugged into on the other side you turd eater

openwrt.org/toh/start

the information superhighway

oh but what is the superhighway connected to? it all leads back to one dusty old router in a cabinet somewhere....

What is the best solution to this problem?

I don't know if i can even trust those thing to have enough bandwith since they don't have any kind of ratings.

Most people seem to use them to connect their TV or satelite connexion.
What do Jow Forums?

Attached: Retarded Coaxial Output.png (2946x1544, 1.04M)

I would find a modem/media converter that would convert the coaxial signal to whatever you wanted, then plug that into your own router.

Have a separate router and modem,

>he still have coax and not fiber
poor man

Attached: teen-girl-laughing-and-having-fun_hlpal_zmg_thumbnail-full01.png (1920x1080, 3.2M)

Kane lives!

Peace through power.

idk man, coax is plenty fast for me.

Attached: 8163592632.png (350x200, 13K)

The RB4011 is the best home router you can buy right now.

True, I doubt a frogposter could configure a Mikrotik.

>less than 1/10th upload
Fucking cable niggers.

It's not the cable tho, it's an arbitrary ISP limit. I could get more if I paid for more.

Can i use my AC86U in AP mode with pfSense on an old pc
or do i need to buy new AP's and a PoE Switch ?

Attached: .jpg (473x620, 47K)

I prefer my speed

Attached: ok.png (510x232, 18K)

You can use that as AP only mode, no need to buy new hardware.

Holy shit that thing would cost me another $100+ for shipping and import taxes, just when AX wifi is starting to hit the market.

>marginally faster.
Ok, for what purpose tho.

Behold glorious FTTH

Attached: fiber.png (483x96, 8K)

They probably have a distributor in your country. The 4011 has 4x4 MIMO which has greater performance impact than Wifi 6.

>marginally
for you

Attached: uh sure.jpg (720x450, 41K)

I mean, honestly, who the fuck needs more than this, or even 1/8th of it really? I grew up with 14.4 modems. I don't even know what to do with my 500-1000 mbps download speeds, and I sure as fuck don't know what to do with 500-750 mbps upload speeds. What am I running, a fucking public 4K video streaming server? I'm not.

>I don't even know what to do with my 500-1000 mbps download speeds

Attached: 951.png (474x711, 90K)

there's only so much content that interests me out there.

This.

fucking seriously...

>4k stream server
kek

RT-AC68U w/ Merlin

I use a routerboard

>hdds set on fire

you know fiber "somehow"(those isp fuckers) isnt everywhere, i even offered to pay the installation and still nothing