Linus says:

>I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.

4channel btfo

Attached: IMG_0907.jpg (960x830, 42K)

But I am a whistleblower.

>we do not forgive, we do not forget
>expect us, Linus

>if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible
I agree because some people take advantage and use anonymity to amplify themselves.

But Jow Forums blows skin flutes every day

Good point, me.

Attached: 1409939538441.png (475x507, 72K)

>your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.
Sure, for today. Then most of what's considered normal and acceptable but slightly triggering today gets branded as a crazy rant tomorrow and is banned as well.
This is how censorship and totalitarianism work - they always start with giving the state power to act on this specific issue, and then you wake up 10 years later and you're in a dystopian hellhole

He worded it poorly but I think his point is that anonymity is a double edged sword, while it's what makes Jow Forums fun at times, it also encourages low quality shitposts

Attached: paint paint.png (660x1023, 231K)

The guy that got the ball rolling to where Linux is now, the guy that can't even install and setup Debian is now giving his opinion on 'anonymity'.

Attached: trash.jpg (268x188, 7K)

Also accountability and shit.

Attached: 1412609379095.jpg (599x359, 22K)

i just start to judge people when they aren't anonymous, i start to judge by their name, by their profile picture. i start to develop a picture of an person and more often than not i don't like that person.
anonymity is great because it's only the post that matters.
fuck off back to raddit OP

Has linus ever not been wrong about something? Serious question.

Slippery slope fallacy. Anonymity is not a right, it's a privilege and can be taken away when it's abused, for example when someone uses it to do illegal things.

>it's a privilege and can be taken away

No man is above me, only God almighty. The fascists always find ways to keep their power.

God isn't real. There are many men who have the power to take your life, not just fascists.

>Slippery slope fallacy
Is it a fallacy if our entire history proves it again and again?

Except it doesn't? There are other countries besides china

>God isn't real.
'God' is used here metaphorically.

>There are many men who have the power to take your life, not just fascists.
No shit sherlock.

>Finnish eurocuck is a government sycophant that will happily discard intrinsic rights because some people abuse them
Sounds about right.

It's important in today's society. He's wrong. Unsurprising since he's an autistic computer programmer and his opinions on sociology should be taken just like any other random guy off the street's.

"I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it."

- Linus (formerly Bastard) Torvalds, Introduction to botnets in computer systems

Attached: Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg (1354x784, 53K)

Linus is super good at one thing, kernel development. His opinions on pretty much everything outside of that are laughable.

this

also goes for literally every expert in a field that talks about another field

>Slippery slope fallacy.
It is quite literally happening as we speak. People go through celebrity twitter accounts and try to call them out for jokes they made years ago. Why are you playing dumb?

But societal pressures are reducing my capacity to share my true thoughts and feelings

>There are other countries besides china
Yeah such as Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, the Soviet Union and the bloc, any nation with a strong alignment towards a religion, and Europe in general during the heretic persecutions, every single one of those examples being of the slippery slope "fallacy" and turning into a dystopia just a decade or two later. It all starts with the conviction by the state that the power to abolish personal liberties will not be abused and only used for this specific case that the majority thinks should be handled, and soon enough those rights are no longer even perceived as a personal liberty. The exact same thing will happen to freedom of speech and gun rights in the US and that's when you'll realize that this is the way that states work - their objective is to maximize their power to prevent the population from revolting and threatening the lives of anyone involved with the state or the ruling class.

If you're too much of a pussy to stand behind your opinions then it's probably not worth sharing

>share opinion
>lose job
there are many documented cases

Twitter is a known CIA honeypot, the only one playing dumb here is those "celebrities" who acted like they didn't know this at the time because they were using it to make big $$

None of those examples make your argument non-fallacious. By your definition the US is also already a large dystopia.
>muh gun rights
I'm not for gun control but conflating these arguments with censorship is even more fallacious and does not help your case.

Yeah if you value your jobs it's probably best to post Jow Forums memes on Jow Forums

>My personal worth is determined by my position on an assembly line
We warned you about industrialization bro

but we aren't about rants

his point is that it's easy to scream at everybody when you don't have to take responsibility for your actions

u saying wat u son of basterd bich

Attached: Pudoo Patel.png (609x664, 272K)

Linus is a fucking retard whenever he opens his mouth about anything not directly related to his projects.

Your post is an example of why he's right, I'd like to see you go up to his face and call him a retard for expressing his opinion

>t-this is fallacy
>proceeds to not disprove anything I said, not point out why is it a fallacy exactly, and not advance his personal arguments further

yeah whatever kid, keep seething over anonymity on a website that has anonymity as its core value and you conveniently post on it instead of reddit. Perhaps repeat the fallacy part for a third time while you're at it

There are many reasons not to do it, but that's also why anonymity can be good. I don't want to lose my job over my opinion.

I'd like to see you go up in the middle of a neo-nazi gathering and tell them that they're retarded racists and that you'd love to see them die in pain

>have Jow Forums-tier """opinions"""
>surprised nobody wants to interact or be around you

Attached: 1554171399967.jpg (276x248, 18K)

I don't have any positions other than that yours is fallacious.
Why does it confuse you when you have nothing with which you can use to attack me?

Where did you get all that? Did you forget to take your meds again?

Attached: 1531740730339.png (499x338, 38K)

>unironically proceeds to repeat himself for a third time after being called on it

at this point it's not even worth to bother replying to you, let me just remind you that your original point was that it has never happened in history other than modern China which is so fucking idiotic that I should've stopped replying at that point

He did point out that anonymity has its merits but he's probably seen his fair share of Jow Forumstards babbling "kill all jews/sjw/trannies" or whatever the boogeyman is the flavor of the month to know that it's a double edged sword

40 posts in and someone outed himself as a thuggish NSDAP worshipper, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner in a Torvalds bootlicking thread

>voicing a controversial opinion? yeah go ahead and voice it in front of his face bro see what happens
>wtf why are you telling me to voice my controversial opinions in front of other people take your meds dude

>wtf why are you telling me to voice my controversial opinions
You don't know me or my opinions though, so yeah, take your meds you rambling schizo

Anonymity is chaos. Jow Forums is chaos. Embrace chaos. None of this matters. There was no beginning and there is no end. Only change and the infinite journey. Chaos is timeless and forever, and all men wither before it. Make your pathetic lives worth something. Join us.

Attached: 1476906098210.png (393x297, 9K)

>n-no you schizo please stop btfoing my retarded logic

We aren't talking about history user, we are talking about now. I'm repeating myself because I have no other point to make, your efforts to insult me and bait me into derailing the argument won't work.

>Torvalds
this thread is about Linus Sebastian, retard

You're too easy, m8, get off Jow Forums and read a book for a change

Attached: 1535406716529.png (600x536, 253K)

>Canadians are faggot cucks
Anything new?

We've had retards do this. We just yell obscenities and mock and deride them until they cry and leave.

t. former NSM member

I'm glad you left user, welcome to the real world.

How about reading the Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers that were written under peseudonyms and illustrate just why anonymity would be beneficial.

epic

Attached: 1402830304245.jpg (939x720, 299K)

I'm not arguing against anonymity, Torvalds also said that it's important if you're a whistle blower, his point that everyone here seem to miss is that it's a double edged sword, it brings the worst in people because it allows them to get away with anything

Anonymity allows for honest debate. People are much less likely to pull punches, if they don't have to worry about be snitched on to their employer, or state agents. Only tyrants fear the peoples ability to speak anonymously. Linus is a nigger faggot.

Attached: 3fe0fe5b5b30b6546b52914316a067fe0813eb0e7be788fc3f70581d1eebfe3a.jpg (570x856, 68K)

>it brings the worst in people because it allows them to get away with anything
and? the "anything" they're getting away with is literally harmless digital letters

People are still going to think those ebil bad thoughts, regardless of whether or not they can espouse those thoughts anonymously.

Your ancestors fought hard for your freedom. Don't waste it by using it solely to shitpost and spread hateful memes.

What "intrinsic" right there is to anonymity? You're sounding pretty spooked, lad.

While true, so too is the opposite. Anonymity allows for easy dishonesty.
>sockpuppets
>false flags
etc.

The worst of people is the truth about them. I'd rather be armed with the truth to plan accordingly.

>harmless
Yes, never mind that people have spread pedophile bait and other assorted garbage in this website
Not sure what you're getting at here, I'm not a fan of thought policing

Part and parcel of a (semi) free society.

The right to not be branded like cattle by the government by forcing you to have citizen ID which it then stores permanently against your will. And since this is never going away it is therefor in my best interest, and technically my natural right, to break the connection between my online activity and that ID as the "you are accountable for what you post" is not only a retarded statement, but the accountable part isn't constant either and changes as governments change. Today you can openly announce your disgust with nazis which is an acceptable post in modern society, tomorrow those nazis can come into power, win WW3 and execute you using their absolute power over Earth for being a potential dissident because what you posted was permanently linked to your ID and stored in a database.

>Don't waste it by using it solely to shitpost and spread hateful memes.
but shitposting and spreading hateful memes are the first thing they will take from us, so we have to enjoy the times where i can call you a nigger faggot and stay user.

Attached: 1536125420367.jpg (1280x1283, 319K)

The assumption here is that anonymity is inherently abusive.
What anonymity does is create safe spaces for people to express opinions. It allows people to shitpost and allows people to talk about being gay in societies where its punished by death. There's all sorts of variations between those two that banning anonymity outright will never account for. It's a bandaid for people who can't handle seeing offensive shit and aren't equipped with the rationale or maturity to walk away or hit mute/block/etc. People have been shit posting in conversations since the beginning of time, it's not any more or less prevalent because of anonymity.

Attached: da31msvf8am21.jpg (1100x1650, 168K)

What makes it "intrinsic"? The only rights you truly have _intrinsically_ are those you can defend yourself.

No they aren't. If anything that's the only thing they'll leave because they know it's a great way to keep the outgroups fighting with each other and not assembling, causing a mass distraction from the real issues

>easy dishonesty
>sockpuppets
>false flags
You seem quite concerned with what people think or what people are "brainwashed" to think according to you, so have you perhaps asked them whether they want to be babysit by someone like you who gets to police them about what they're allowed to read online?

linus is a kernel

Colonel*

Pointing something out is not inherently an expression of concern.

Correct, doing it when you don't care is concern trolling, but you don't hear us wanting to strip you of your anonymity because you're doing it.

It looks like you're trying to present some kind of false dichotomy where if I don't agree with you I must agree with some arbitrary other group. This is inane and I fail to see your point or intent.

Well your argument was that you're very concerned with how people are abusing anonymity and "influencing opinions", wasn't it? If you're not concerned then why exactly are you wasting hours defending it?

so they will just nuke the relevant stuff?
why did New Zealand go berserk because the video got spread then?

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Attached: Oscar Wilde.jpg (752x962, 104K)

Rights aren't real, bud
>natural rights
Bruh, look at this dude

Because their legal system has no experience dealing with terrorists and terrorist propaganda

I have made no argument at all, and don't intend to. As stated already, highlighting something is not an expression of perspective. It is what it is, an observation. You're making too many assumptions and hasty conclusions without basis.

why can't i call you a faggot here but can't call you a faggot on youtube?

fuck me,
>why CAN i..

All I learned from this thread is there's unsurprisingly a massive overlap between people who don't value anonymity and people who don't believe in human rights.

Because the age limit is not enforced well enough here

Was that Linux Torvalds from Linux Tech Tips?

kek
no seriously, you want to tell me they are not gonna take the shitposting and hateful memes from us when that is what at the moment literally happens all over the internet?

What are you talking about? I was just pointing out that you were concern trolling, pointing out something isn't an argument.

That's funny because the boomers populating Jow Forums are only able to express their genocidal opinions thanks to the anonymity afforded by Jow Forums

>What are you talking about
The fact that this statment
>you were concern trolling
Is false.

>pointing out something isn't an argument
It looks like you're making some kind of assumption in 2 cases.

They aren't taking those, you can still do them.

You're making the assumption shitposts can't be ignored.

I'm still a white nationalist. That's never going to change. The reason why the NSM and groups like it exist is because they're right about everything related to race and modern politics. I left the NSM because of their incompetent and greedy leadership. If anything I've become more radical since I left.

That's not the claim, not originally nor now.

No wonder he shills for NordVPN, the honeypot.