What does Jow Forums think of the state of audio for Linux?

What does Jow Forums think of the state of audio for Linux?

I think PulseAudio should not exist, and ALSA should just be improved

Attached: alsa-alsamixer-c.png (774x860, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

foxdot.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: alsa pulse.png (716x750, 219K)

>JACK
>Department is very skilled and quick
>However they require you to fill in various forms regarding "realtime privileges" and "soundcard configuration"

You can thank Red Hat for PulseAudio, and get ready for their latest poo: pipewire.

Is OSS really the best? I haven't really looked at it much, but none of my sound worked when I tried FreeBSD.

I have a pretty good setup with just ALSA right now, and it has two microphones, six speakers, and an obscure chink soundcard

Its been years since I tested both. I did test out Pulse few weeks ago and the sound quality is trash and doesn't scale up well at all.

Makes sense. I haven't tried JACK yet but it seems to have the biggest brained users

unfortunately Steam seems to require PulseAudio. I tried installing it so I could get sound in CS:GO, but it didn't work and I ragequit

arcane black magic tier
I got problems with jack yesterday out of fucking nowhere, I know neither why it shat itself nor how I fixed it

Pray to the God Jack and it will fix it self. No one knows how JACK works. Literally requires PhD in Music Science.

I see the point of PulseAudio but improving it in the kernel would have been a much better solution. Faggots can't kmalloc

I like alsa better than pulse too, but I couldn't get it to work with bluetooth headphones.

>OSS
>ALSA
>PulseAudio
>JACK

Ahh, the ol' Linux philosophy. Keep adding/forking shit till it works some of the time.

Attached: linux audio.png (663x694, 235K)

OSS has been dead for 20 years
Pulseaudio apparently still has low quality resampling by default

Fucking garbage and should be redone entirely by people who actually give a shit about it

Ugh you're right

ALSA is the purest and most Unix-like solution. PulseAudio wouldn't be needed if ALSA was improved even the tiniest bit.

FreeBSD generally avoids this unnecessary adding / forking bullshit, but at tremendous cost in this case

>Pulseaudio apparently still has low quality resampling by default
That makes sense. Is it a limitation of the engine? Or a reason why its got such a trashy resample quality?

>Is it a limitation of the engine?
It's just the default setting, you can change it in a config file to pretty much anything.
What is annoying is that pulse apparently only allows for 2 possible output qualities while the underlying alsa can output anything at pretty much any rate that the hardware supports.

ALSA just werks™ for my workflow
I've never needed pulse audio but I don't use any shitware that has it as a hard dependency.
I tried compiling OSSv4 on void musl a while back to try it out but it fails outright. I tried fixing it but all things considered retrofitting it into modern linux is a clusterfuck.
I have OpenBSD on a few systems but I've played audio through zero(0) of them so I can't personally say if it's better ot not. I've been kicking around putting OpenBSD on one of my spare thinkpads but since I like some of the features that only have a sane/safe implementation on Linux, mainly file systems like reiserfs and better disk caching to ram.

>all this autism just for audio
I don't get it

Driver support seem to be still lacking from interface manufacturers so state is not so great.

its alright
pulseaudio is kinda bloat but you woldn't need it if you don't need i/o controls

Attached: Screenshot_20190405_072737.png (1145x809, 84K)

Alsa is good, using Jack in tandem gives nice low latency. Justwerks

Use apulse

>uses kde

Attached: 11023957573819.png (500x493, 322K)

PulseAudio + PulseEffects is pretty good for watching Chinese moving pixels.

It's horrendous to make music on Linux because of that alone. The midi doesn't work if I select the alsa driver on Pure Data. Same for SuperCollider, and it doesn't seem to work with Pulseaudio. Mixxx audio quality is shit with Pulseaudio, same for Bitwig, and Ardour requires me to use Jack (iirc). I tried to channel everything through jack, it was as tedious as configuring a badly supported wifi card or printer, and the end result not worth the hassle. It's a big fucking mess and I stick with hardware music devices for now.

It's honestly easier to figure out and use jack via command line rather than qjackctl, in my opinion. I use it for Pure Data and my midi justwerks

I didn't know how to troubleshoot this midi problem, this is a well supported interface but selecting the alsa driver for midi never worked, be it in plain alsa or with jack. I may check that later then, but I'd like to make SuperCollider work first to play with this :

foxdot.org/

Arch actually has a pro audio community, ask them if you're stuck

>I think PulseAudio should not exist, and ALSA should just be improved
Agree, what we most need is an easier way to automate ALSA dotfiles setup. One would think at this point an script would exist.

I remember a point in time at which my old Xonar DG would be supported to the point it would let me adjust headphone amplifier settings.

And then it disappeared and was never there again. So when I see some fucker say "on loonix everything improves over time and never gets shittier" I call bullshit on that

I suggest trying Cadence instead of qjackctl. Manjaro linux also has linux-rt kernels pre-builr

>uses anything but KDE in current year.

Can someone redpill me on what pulseaudio is for to begin with ? The only difference i saw is that my ps3eye didnt work anymore

alsa is a kernel interface you twat.
What you are talking about is called dmix and pulseaudio IS the replacement for that.

Seriously, just fuck off with your retarded shit.

It has CIA nigger backdoor that constantly listens to all input and output devices, which is good for CIA niggers by making their CIA nigger job easier to do.

Huh, it doesn't on my machine. Source games have no sound issues with bare alsa.

Having mixing and resampling done in kernel space is pointless, you will always need a userspace daemon to handle some of this. Literally the final step to "improving alsa" is to write pulseaudio or something similar.

Use Jack for any pro audio. You pretty much need it. Get Patchage or Claudia or another visual routing/session management tool and that will handle the hassle of configuring it.

too bad alsa has no usable and working implementation for emu10k dsp manipulation

PIPEWIRE WHEN

Pulse werks great.

>The applicant is interviewing the interviewer
0/10

>not turning the tables during your interview as a power move
This is why you make 60K instead of 600K

>make music on linux
Are you braindead or something? If you need make music (music production) you need MacOS or Windows.

My God, who the hell uses Linux to make music? Jesus fucking Christ!

Attached: 1468901374214-1.gif (320x192, 666K)

>implying a misplaced causal link
This is why you make 6K instead of 60K

Same.

ALSA works fine. Pulseaudio breaks, has buzzing and randomly swaps input devices.

Linux audio is absolutely based

>Alsa
Obviously based

>Pulseaudio
Based, lets you switch inputs / outputs on the fly, reminder that winfags cannot do this and changing your mic for stuff like source games on windows requires restarting the entire program.

>Jack
Most based of all, winfag audio is no where close to this and all windows DAWs have to reinvent the wheel every time to provide their own routing solution.

These get me in stitches every fucking time.