You do realize linux subsystem for Windows is a thing, right?

You do realize linux subsystem for Windows is a thing, right?
What reasons are there for anyone to use linux anymore?
Any command line function can be run through this subsystem and any gui program runs a thousand times better on Windows
>inb4 muh botnet
Go take your meds schizo if you think there isn't a backdoor for linux you're delusional
>inb4 muh adds on menu
You can remove those in 5 seconds

Freetards eternally BTFO

Attached: Windows-10-1607-Subsystem-for-Linux-870x489.jpg (870x489, 66K)

In comparison to Linux with Cinnamon desktop, Windows is slow as fuck and its GUI doesn't permit a comfortable workflow.

Why would I want to use a closed source OS?

Windows is like 10% O.S. and 90% viruses.

Why would I use Linux within Windows when I already accomplish everything I need with just Linux?

The reason to not use windows is because how less you can actually control it and the ammount of bloats out of the box.
I would never use winshit 10.
The safer and more reliable option that could save you time would be using windows 7 or 8.1 (turned off update) with Linux on VM. Or just Linux with Windows VM.

>When your argument is just hurling insults and not addressing real issues
Ebin thread, OP.

Attached: 94562c7da78c0c9903d06ffda71bafcef366fc1f332fe60caa145d6f236fe873.jpg (640x360, 23K)

Windows subsystem is extremely gimped compared to regular linux.

Attached: windows-10-blue-screen-death.jpg (1600x891, 43K)

You do realize msys2 is a thing, right?

Attached: 14455473566345.jpg (200x219, 7K)

>Go take your meds schizo if you think there isn't a backdoor for linux you're delusional
I've been auditing the linux code myself and there's no backdoor
t. torvalds

maybe if you're poor and can't afford at least 8gb ram

why does it matter

you can catch viruses on any OS

because you don't have to fix something that breaks every 3rd boot

what can you control on linux that you can't on windows?
>bloat
You don't have to use any of the 5 programs that come preinstalled

the only insult i used is schizo for people obsessed with being watch by the government who probably deserve to be on a watchlist anyway

how so?

because xorg never fucks up
pic related

Attached: MomCancelMeetingsXorgBroke.png (381x399, 19K)

>why does it matter
Cause I want to be able to fix the problems rather then go
>reinstall

>because you don't have to fix something that breaks every 3rd boot
But I don't use Arch

>Or just Linux with Windows VM
Don't do this, it's not worth the pain and suffering.

I was autistic enough to buy a license for my virtual Windows 10 install because I couldn't stand having to look at ads in my start menu and taskbar even in a virtual machine.

I was then autistic enough to try to rice my virtual Windows install. I found out how to enable the "classic theme" that Microsoft used to provide but had since hidden.

Turns out they'd hidden it for a reason: basic fucking Windows software, e.g. explorer.exe, is no longer compatible with it. I wound up softlocked out of my VM in a catch-22 situation where every otherwise-possible way to fix the problem required opening a program that the problem had made inaccessible.

From there, I could have just reinstalled Windows from the iso onto the same VM, but instead, in an astounding display of incompetence, I deleted the VM, made a new one, and tried to install Windows on the new VM. Since I was now working with what was technically a different "computer," it wouldn't let me activate Windows again.

RIP $200. Right down the drain.

>maybe if you're poor and can't afford at least 8gb ram
I have 32GB RAM, eight i7 cores, and a discrete graphics card. Windows still runs like molasses compared to Linux.

I prefer to use a civilized operating system.

I guess I'll respond,,,

I guarantee you have never looked at the linux kernel or your distro's source code to fix a problem

Happens with all distros, DEs, and WMs

have you tried updating and rebooting a couple of times. No OS runs perfect after a fresh install. It runs speedy on 8gb for me

great argument I am officially a freetard again

can I compile C with it?
can I accesss windows files with it?

>Happens with all distros, DEs, and WMs
Works on my machine

My windows desktop started waking itself up from sleep mode lately. It'll come on for no reason, then go off an hour later, and back on a few hours, etc. Sucks ass, I'm about to put Linux back on but it'd be such a waste of an Nvidia 1070.

>Linux is a app.
Just a app coming soon. Secure boot, thanks hardware manufacturers.

>have you tried updating and rebooting a couple of times.
Yes, and it made it much faster. Big whoop. Still runs like molasses compared to Linux on the same machine. Maybe that's acceptable to some people, but I for one am simply spoiled by the superior performance offered by a more lightweight system offering the same functionality. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with coddling yourself into holding unrealistic expectations if you're willing to personally go to unrealistic measures to ensure those expectations are met.

Well in the case you want to learn or hobbies related.
Its perfectly fine to just install LTSC and use hwid kms38 (offline) to active it. (All it does is messed up the activation services which runs everytime windows 10 starts so it remained activated until 2038). I paid for home version of winblows 10 too and completely regret it. But I use LTSC VM now.
Consider that 200$ to be what you paif for LTSC version. It will be less painful that way.

I would only use it if I could do raw sockets in WSL. Most of the actual useful functionality is not implemented.

wsl doesn't use linux kernel at all, so it's not linux

You know this simply not true.
What with this exaggeration and fear mongering act of shilling?
Are you working for MS

You do realize linux can be run natively, right?
What reasons are there for anyone to use Windows anymore?
Any command line function can be run natively and any GUI program can be run through Wine when needed.
>inb4 muh games
Go take your meds schizo if you think games actually matter for the overwhelming majority of users you're delusional
>inb4 muh bad UIs
You can uninstall GNOME in 5 seconds

Winshits eternally BTFO

I don't use anything that isn't unix-like

it doesn't have all the distros or server edition etc

bloat: the OS.

A prime real world example of a corporate shill and a retard all in one go. You can thank me later, I know you appreciate it.

But op can't figure it out so must be everyone else that is wrong.

>can I compile C with it?
I just installed and used g++ worked fine
>can I accesss windows files with it?
You can under /mnt/c/User/user/

I'm sure there's a setting to fix that

The speed you save in performance is negated by having to constantly tweak and fix all the things that break

It's really not an exaggeration. If you fiddle with any distro long enough it will break unexpectedly
t. burned out freetard who needs something that just werks

You provided 0 counter arguments, good job. Some (not all but a significant number of) games still run like shit on linux
The UIs on linux are actually superior especially KDE. I never argued that at all but nice strawman

reasonable critique

The only bloat is microsoft edge and like 3 programs that might take up 200mb

>t. coping freetard
t. red pilled freetard

Linturds BTFO!

Attached: 1543696082789.jpg (500x281, 82K)

>The speed you save in performance is negated by having to constantly tweak and fix all the things that break
Actually I only had to configure it once. Nothing broke since.
That's the beauty of a system that has literally nothing installed on it except the self-contained apps you need to use in your daily life.

I'm senior engineer btw.
In my lap we use windows 7, windows 8.1 and 10.
We also have machines that use Ubuntu for training CNN models.
My conclusion is that you exaggerate a lot of things. No distro that will broke after 3 times boot.
Our machines boot up uncountable time now since 2018.
The only reason I still use Windows now is because legacy wireless printer in our office and MS Office as we have a lot of legacy templates that might not be compatible with Libreoffice.

Your fear mongering is unecessary. Let's everyone use what they like. If it suits their needs

WSL is very slow.
Try compiling a large piece of software on it and you'll hate yourself.

You do realize WINE for Linux is a thing, right?
What reasons are there for anyone to use windows anymore?
Any program can be run through this and any gui program runs a thousand times better on Linux
>inb4 muh freetard
Go take your meds schizo if you think there isn't a backdoor for windows you're delusional
>inb4 muh gaymes
You can install those in 5 seconds

Freetards eternally BTFO

Attached: 2016-05-17-171659_1280x720_scrot.png (1280x720, 267K)

check your bios, dumbass. it's some wake-on, time energy saving bullcrap T4, T5 something. I don't remember exactly.

>Freetards eternally BTFO
You forgot to replace the last line

Good job not fixing the last part dumbass

>not having multiple boxes with multiple operating systems

Attached: 5345347375.jpg (259x194, 7K)

Actually, I just reinstalled Windows and was looking for arguments on if I should keep using linux since WSL exists. I knew the mobs of freetards would seethe if I posted something pro-Windows and would give me some opinions on which route to take

and congratulations your bait work like a charm

OK dumbass, but it was fine for at least a year or two now. After the most recent Windows update, it's possessed. Really annoying when I'm working from home on work computers and it keeps going on and off.

you do realize windows subsystem for linux has always been a thing, right?
Also using botnet in bare metal is retarded, at least in linux you can isolate it from touching your linux hardrive. You can't control windows, ever.

>needs something that just werks
Windows is the exact opposite of that.

Btw anyone who does serious work knows that WSL is a toy and not a real option, just like Wine.

Also Linux is a kernel and is not important. I have been able to run GNU on windows for decades with cygwin.

If your work is hardware oriented. I suggest you tried to keep things as they are.
Because windows 10 update is not really perfect. I can't count how many times it broke our hardware, that is not to mention it force install new drivers everytime.
The reason to be aware of windows 10 is simple, it could broke what you are working on.

In one of my colleague case, his code broke and cannot connect to he camera after lastest windows 10 update, turns out it change something from the driver, so he has to fix the code for it to works again.

Not everything new is great, I say let it mature for a few years more before actually working on it.

check out msys2, which might be already all you need. it comes with pacman and a good set of packages to install, integrates nicely, and you can even install git for win from it if you add those sources to the config file, which is also nice. Then slap on some conemu, and you're good to go.

sounds more like a pajeet problem if you ask me. Besides, just remove the driver and slap on the older one that worked. Problem solved.

>why use windows when powershell for linux is a thing?

Attached: 00453-smug2.jpg (337x404, 29K)

The mere fact that you have to use WSL to access linux functionalities means it is in fact a bloat and binary incompatible to the whole operating system so no, I do not want to use WSL since it really isn't Unix-like.

Also I hate Microsoft and Windows.

Also fuck you OP, You are one hell of a shill and a faggot..

Thanks for your concern, we already fixed it months ago.
It is not good to have something change every update when everything is working perfectly.

The compatibility is shit so I just put Windows in qemu and run all my services on the hypervisor.

> What reasons are there for anyone to use linux anymore?
Not using windows.
Not having their shitass telemetry right up your soiboi ass.
Not having to deal with niggerfaggots like you because I can just say "I don't use it"
Not having to deal with anything I don't install myself
The list goes on.

>why use powershell for linux when bash is a thing?

Attached: baby-on-board.png (1408x1179, 1.09M)

WSL is cool to have but kind of sucks dicks if you try to actually use it like a regular Linux distribution. A lot of networking programs don't work right, it's slow as fuck compared to bare metal or even most VMs, and it's basically just the same old shit as the old linux as an NT service stuff was

nice r*ddit spacing let me guess you use Arch

>The only bloat is microsoft edge and like 3 programs that might take up 200mb
This might be because I am out of the loop, but last time I used windows, it was very hard to do without needing 40-50 GB. I did that because I used the windows subsystem to run inventor. Literally the only thing I installed. Removing edge was not enough to make the distro take up less space.
XP was able to shrink down to 1.5GB for the operating system. Windows can barely shrink to 30gb anymore.

>It's really not an exaggeration. If you fiddle with any distro long enough it will break unexpectedly
>t. burned out freetard who needs something that just werks
Well obviously it is, what does
>Fiddle with a distro
Mean in this context?
Adding deprecated config options to the point where it won't start up? Why would anyone (sane) do that?
I have been using Linux for 12 years and stuff doesn't break very often.
I have also tried running arch for a couple of years and that breaks stuff so you can't boot one day.
But arch is not for everyone, I think most Linux users will tell you that. And it is obvious that it will break when you change major versions of vital applications without updating config files, the surrounding applications etc.
But thst stuff is rare and there is almost always people who can help you. The only dumb part about that is the lack of a heads up if you don't follow the news.
But I have not have stuff break randomly on any other distro, the software installation and update system is vastly better than on Windows, it is not even close.

As for (some games) running poorly, just play other games. It is not hard to tell friends about a cool new game they should try if you want them to play with you. There are so many games being made, stop obsessing over the few that doesn't work and start obsessing over the few that works.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, not microsoft, but the company of your shitty camera is in the wrong here? Usually there's a good reason for a new driver, so microsoft pushes that for you. Maybe that company shouldn't release shitty drivers? Ever thought about that?

If you care about games, use linux. I don't give a fuck. That doesn't make linux bad, especially when it completely embarasses windows in
>boot times
>context switching
>system management flexibility
Not to mention, linux improves more rapidly in areas where it is found to be lacking, e.g. browser benchmarks. Critically, it also doesn't shove those updates down your throat when you don't want them.

Attached: embed-1.png (600x498, 28K)

>if you care about games, use linux
Meant to say windows, fuck

No, I use Debian sid because I don't want my system to break everytime I do full package updates.

I'm using Debian right now and I think it's kind of gay so I will probably install Arch tomorrow instead.

Not him but have you considered that the camera manufacturer's release policy is not within the other user's control, and, as such, even if he had "ever thought about that," it wouldn't change anything? Regardless of whether the fault lies with Microsoft or the manufacturer, he, the consumer, is the one left with the problem, and so he has every right to take whatever measures reliably solve that problem.

I've had Ubuntu, Mint and Arch installs last for years with smooth updates while my Windows 10 install shits itself every year, and even after I fix it I have to undo all of the changes to defaults that I need for it to run correctly. And even when shit does break on my Linux setups, it's a hundred times easier than having to fuck around with the Registry and Windows' inane permission system.

It's ok to be a little faggot sometimes user.

Well, if you're using Xmonad, Xmobar and customizing all of your workflow so much that you don't have time to be doing actual work then I wouldn't say you're a little fag.

>it wouldn't change anything
No, but it's always easy to blame microsoft for every shit. Not even a microsoft shill, but most of the time it is exactly the manufacturer of your shitty pajeet hardware that is to blame for crappy drivers.
But I agree, I wouldn't like my os pushing new drivers on me just like that either. That's kind of an odd thing to do.

I'll leave the Debian on the server (top)
but it sux on a laptop desu, too much shit isn't configured nicely out of the box. Arch gets it right

Attached: 2019-04-04-230340_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 157K)

I use a Mac, it's a real BSD and it has even better GUI applications

>maybe if you're poor and can't afford at least 8gb ram
i have 64 gb ram and a 7700k in my windows box
it takes 30 seconds minimum to drop postgres tables, create them, load table schema, and load seed data with WSL on a 1 week old win10 install
it takes less than 5 seconds to do this on my mint box, which has 16 gb ram and a fucking 3770k
WSL is insanely slow for doing anything useful
this thread is about as dumb as "who needs windows just use wine"
you'd probably be shilling for cygwin if daddy nadella didnt let winshits like you believe they can into linux

also WSL cannot into high performance computing
running any parallelized applications has a significant performance penalty in WSL

But I like my void. I don’t have problems with it so why would I use windows. There aren’t any windows apps I need and I don’t like all the frills in windows so why would I use it? Just because it has forced a little linux in itself isn’t a reason for me to move to it.

I’ve never tried it but I can’t imagine the linux subsystem is nearly as quick as a prober full OS nor that I would have the control over the system through shell commands that I have with any *nix os anyway. Plus better terminal emulators to choose from.

What happens if I don’t like the DE? Can I replace it with a WM? StumpWM is cozy and gives me control via lisp. (Tilling windows aren’t actually useful isn’t a rebuttal because they are and this works way better than windows DE for me.) Can I make setup scripts for windows so I can get a fresh windows install on a random computer up and running the way I like it with all my config files, packages, and settings? How much can I change the environment?

Void just works; windows are for those who don’t need a computer to do anything more difficult than Microsoft office or are too lazy to better their workflow.

except I did not blame anyone?
I share what is the most stable and reliable way to work from my experience is using older windows (or LTSC with update disable) with Linux VM and Linux with windows VM.

>because xorg never fucks up
If xorg fucks up, at least you can drop to tty
When Windows BSODs, you have lost ALL your unsaved data and your entire session
If Windows saved open applications like OS X does, you might have a point you could argue with, but Linux DEs half-assed implementations are still better at recovering open programs than anything Windows currently has
I used Ubuntu for 2 years and only opened terminal to add repos for shit like Java. Nothing ever broke. That's how well Linux works.
The 1803 and 1809 updates both managed to destroy GPU, NIC, and audio drivers and mess up a bunch of file permissions until I reverted the updates
Took multiple tries before 1809 installed without causing problems

Never really considered it, but looks interesting. How does Gentoo run on it?

Attached: 1496610127381.jpg (1268x1422, 213K)

Had a similar experience with trying to convert signal files. It took over a monute per file on my new work desktop (quad core i5, 8gb ram) with windows and less than 30 seconds for identical files on my 3year old laptop with the same ram and an older dual core i5. Plus windows would freeze up while my laptop had little issue doing other things while processing lists of files. And windows would always go into “not responding mode” despite the program running fine which meant it wouldn’t print any info to the console whereas on the laptop I could have a log file open while it was running alongside progress updates being pronted to the console

OP, you're a fag for making your question bait, but I will answer it anyway.
Microsoft is not happy with actually having to sell a product, nor do they like people owning their own operating system, so they will be moving towards subscriptions for Windows. That is one of the reasons they forced windows 10 on everyone for "free". This isn't even tinfoil hat shit, they've mentioned their plans.

My deep learning. CUDA doesn't work on WSL cus it doesn't do GPU drivers or Nvidia GPU drivers or something.

>running any parallelized applications has a significant performance penalty in WSL
It's outrageously bad. Running a parallel mergesort, for instance, gives me a 2x speedup with WSL. A fresh Kubuntu install gives me an 8x speedup.
In addition, all the fucking WSL terminals are bad. They're almost all JS-based and have really bad input lag. I'm not going to install gnome-shell just to have a decent terminal running in a half-assed translation layer when I can get lower input tag in a VM with complete compatibility if performance is not a requirement.

>there are complete retards like this on Jow Forums right now
good god

Attached: 1553375583414.jpg (1170x742, 70K)

What do I need to do to get i3-gaps working with WSL::Debian and VcXsrv? I know getting gaps specifically to work with Debian is kinda wonky, but I got an issue where i3 only works as intended one time and then the bar and hotkeys fail unless I redo everything. Especially if I make my own i3 config. Anyone encountered this?

i switched from win10 to ubuntu and i decided to drop playing games. i was mostly playing them out of depression or something as i never really enjoyed games for a long time. needless to say i think im happier now, but i will work out now etc too. windows really does suck

>you can catch viruses on any OS
Yes but only win10 is itself a virus.

NICE TRIPS. That said you're still a dumbass.

>tfw running nvidia 1070 on linux RIGHT NOW
>tfw sekiro running at 75fps in other monitor

TempleOS fits in 2mb.

At least Ubuntu WSL doesn't have (((sytemd)))
It's literally a better Ubuntu than Ubuntu

ok, it has linux but why do i need the windows part too

Gentoo also (usually) doesn't have systemd, and is a better Ubuntu than WSL

>MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH

Attached: mpvshot0002.jpg (1920x1080, 185K)

Windows 10 reminds me of those laptop windows that had massive bloatware preinstalled. The main difference is that in those you could just uninstall all that crap normally. With Win10 you have to go and rip out the useless bloat from the installation files and do a fresh install and you still can't get rid of all of it. Win10 is like a prime example of HOW TO NOT MAKE AN OS. It's so fucked that they haven't abandoned it already.

>But I use LTSC VM now.
Do you run that VM off linux or Win7?

I actually want to do this but I can't afford to put together a new box right now and I've no clue what I'd need to do to easily use the same kb+mouse+monitors setup for both machines.

>same kb+mouse+monitors setup
KVM - look into virt-manager
alternatively, if you have multiple monitors, synergy is ok

0.01 shekels have been deposited to your account

Thanks. I'll look into those.

Windows is slow and bloated.