>tfw ghosted
>call my point of contact
>ask for up update
>"I regret to inform...."
>yeah yeah that's fine
>ask for feedback
>says he will ask the guys and will text me the response
>ghosted.jpg

Attached: 1554344928977.jpg (278x268, 14K)

okay apply for some others and forget that company. Seriously, move on for all you know the other dude was over qualified or they just had to do an outside interview when moving up someone for EoE shit.

I have given up.

Is this your first "real" job? Getting the first one is exponentially harder than any subsequent job hunt, you just gotta hang in there and keep trying and once your lucky numbers come up you're good.

Where do you even find companies to apply to? Since I live in the Bay Area, all I see on Indeed are top companies. I'm a retard in freshman year of community college, but I can program in JS, use React, and use Linux.

How do I find places to apply?

Good attitude to have dude! Did someone tell you that right out of college with 0 exp making 125k starting? fucking lol. Experience trumps college almost always, especially if 2 years at a company leaving on good terms and has some references willing to brag.

Craigslist, indeed, dice, etc.
> I'm a retard in freshman year of community college, but I can program in JS, use React, and use Linux.
Web hosting company doing bullshit call support just to build a resume, which should be your focus atm.

Network and develop projects on your own you can show off to people

>applying to a job when you don't have an internal reference

I got mine at a university career fair.

>Experience trumps college almost always
I know, but it is impossible to get experience without a friend giving you some stupid first job.

It's not hard, but you need to build a resume that isn't a crayon drawing and be willing to sacrifice on things like top tier pay. Not to mention doing home labs and shit go a long way on things

My first IT job was making 32k/yr (not horrible for my area at the time) but worked well enough to where I could build out a resume and now make waaaaay more than that working a very relaxed schedule.

No, you're just aiming far too high user. No one is going to hire a sys admin for a large company because they have a cool resume. Work a bullshit Tier 1 or 2 gig for a year or two while certing up then aim higher

know exactly how you feel, I was searching for about 5 months for a job, it was always the same
>interview went well
>then coding challenge
some were ok, some were ridiculous
>create an entire app with sending emails in background and various business logic in a day
>live coding challenge, the dude had one 1 hour, we spend 20 minutes setting up a repo, had effectively 30 mins to code a app with tons of business logic
>some technical interviewers didn't even show up to the appointment, well known company

those big players employ mostly russian or indians, because they have no live/their live is so shit in their country they literally sold their souls a long time ago and are easily controlled, they have extreme deadlines and whatnot.

I then found a small company where they still employ normal people and I'm so happy to work there where I am for a month now, the area is rather dry and it already got kinda boring but hell I'm happy I have a job

I enlisted in the military so my job hunt went pretty well.

>Work a bullshit Tier 1 or 2 gig for a year or two
I wish I could, I only have few schools left to apply and even when I asked to work for free in some palces I was rejected.
It doesn't help that someone told me that most job offers on this country are fake, just posted to hire friends or family.

I just want a comfy 9 to 5 job and live the Boomer life.

>I then found a small company where they still employ normal people
Really the way to go if you need a job.

tfw I work at a huge ass company now and do hiring
>get told by HR need to do interviews
>alright get 4 sent over because HR was doing bullshit buzzword lotto
>2 good IT people in the industry 2 right out of college
>finally settle on 1 industry and 1 college grad since it is a Jr. Systems position
>get told we are moving up Ted from Tier 2 helpdesk
>ask why I even bothered interviewing outside people and the applicants were better than anything ted knew
>Well ted has been here a long time and is in our EoE as he is technically black, also we don't have to pay him but the min rang salary(not said but it was damn obvious after I looked back on it)

fucking sucks because I hate wasting peoples time like that

work a callcenter gig where the name is at least something remotely technical, or do contract overseas work if you have a clean record and absolutely do not give a shit

>work a callcenter gig
How do I get callcenter experience? Most of them are asking for 4 months of experience.

>Most of them are asking for 4 months of experience.
lol no, don't worry about shit like this, none give a fuck so long as you don't have a resume that is full of misspellings. It's a wishlist on callcenter job postings, and most in general. Anything under a year or 6 months of exp means there is no thinking involved.

Aditionally TekSystems and other contract gigs like Roberthalf have some staffing shit they do. Just be fine with working on contracts which are generally limited timed shit but they get you in the field

Working as a temp for the last few years, waiting for HR to make a full time position available. Co-workers from other departments ask why I'm not full time yet. My supervisor seems to want to keep me too.
A couple of months ago they gave our department a second temp position. Nothing came of it so it had to be reposted.
Basically, I'm in a limbo of making a sufficient amount in a job I enjoy with a 10 minute commute, but am at the whims of HR on whether it will become a career or not.

These are big ones.

Even volunteer work or personal shit can make a huge difference to a potential employer. Make sure to get references.
I turned running a game server and forum into years of experience on my resumé. It doesn't have to be an actual paying job to matter.

>I turned running a game server and forum into years of experience on my resumé. It doesn't have to be an actual paying job to matter.
I have a home server running an imageboard, got into top 100 of Hack the box and made a couple of dumb videogames. Nobody cares.

>just got rejected over the phone because I didn't have a driver's licence
what the fuck kind of requirement is that for a junior programmer

>just got rejected over the phone because I didn't have a driver's licence
Yeah naw, unless you live in absolute nowhereville with no bus service or whatever and regularly shuts down due to snow, unlikely.

Most just want reliable transportation, if you can state that no one cares. Unless travel was included in the job description

how do I land my first job if I have a 48 wam?
I did really bad in my first year, was going through some shit, so I failed around 6 units
I got hd's in multiple units afterwards like data structures and final group project
But I was never able to make my GPA recover
It seems to me as soon as they see my transcript they just trash my application no matter how well I explain my circumstances

Go on triplebyte and take their battery of tests
You get referred for an interview but the starting wage will of course be lower, but who gives a fuck. You could also just apply to toptal or some other freelancing outfit and do it P/T for exp.

>get coding challenge
>been working on it for the past 7 hours and nowhere near finished
i-i think i'm just really dumb

Start applying, you're being strung along.

theyre talking shit and have no intention of making you full time

because they want you to drive to customers and sit in front of your laptop in a small closet there until they send you across country to another plant, stay the fuck away from those companies

Technical interviewer here.
9/10 of the applicants we get are people who do not know:
- design patterns
- SOLID and KISS principles
- Don't properly study a language or framework (basically stackoverflow copypasters without looking into how that shit REALLY works)
- Don't know what best practices are
- barely know how to use GIT with pull and push, no rebase or merge strategies

OR if they manage to know, it's only academical knoweldge never applied IRL work.

I bet it's the same with you stupid niggers

Honestly nobody cares about that shit.
My average is hot garbage and i didn't even go to university , just did a 2 year course (wich i took 3 years to complete anyway).
Did an internship worked hard and to this day i've been employed and i receive offers on my linkedIn all the time.

Just go and do whatever you can to get real actual job experience. Doing real world stuff is really different from programming foobar in class.

Usually it's easyer since it makes fucking sense and motivates you and also no silly restrictions.

>got hackerrank test for job
>5 questions worth 75/100/50/50/75 points each
>got all the test cases on 100/50/50 ones but only a few on the first 75 because I hit recursion limit with DP solution and didn't really solve the last 75 and only got a few test cases because it wasn't expecting any output for those
how fucked am I

>be entry level
>have entry level knowledge and experience

>Don't properly study a language or framework
What does that mean? most of the time you don't need to know the whole language to make some dumb homosex webapp.

Start at new place on monday!

The ones that do know SOLID only know what the words are but don't know how to apply it when designing a system. My question to anyone after asking what SOLID is has always been what problem does each part solve.

Our job postings ask for at least 3+ years experience in our software stacks (J2EE for BE, Angular for FE), so we're looking for medior/senior profiles. We sometimes engage juniors if they show that they have BRAINS (difficult to gauge), but foremost, PASSION.

Even then, what are unis even teaching? OOP design patterns and SOLID should at least be mandatory in any respectable software engineering/compsci course.

The worst is when we get guys with 5+ years of experience and can't tell me the benefits
of abstract classes (really fucking basic concept) or the scenarios in which to use them, even though he knew what they are (just had this one guy yesterday). The frontenders are usually the most retarded of the bunch, literal stackoverflow monkeys with 0 problem solving capabilities (literally NONE of the guys I interviewed for FE knew what hoisting is, or block scoping vs function scoping and other really basic retarded shit that you learn if you only pull your head out of your ass).

Well, that's if they're monkeys. What I really want to know in the end is if they know what polymorphism is, use cases and why you use interfaces everywhere. Dependency injection is basically a tool that's already available with EJB or Spring.

>go to interview
>get asked what I did previously
>was NEET, but say freelancer
>get asked what projects I worked on
>tell them about server software (actually twitter bot written in elixir)
>tell them about some drone control shit I wrote (actually kerbal space program + kos scripts)
>think it's time for white board, but instead
>"So user, when can you start?"
am working as backend c++ programmer for a year now, it's going quite well.

>Even then, what are unis even teaching?
After years of being a high performing student who consistently ruins the curve, I can confidently tell you that I know absolutely fuck all about object oriented programming.

Never needed to know what a dildo factory pattern was beyond answering test questions on it.

I'm not a particularly good software engineer if it isn't obvious already. I'm still a student with zero experience and the first time a professor actually looked over my code the only feedback they gave me was that I was hopeless and at the bottom of the class.

>inb4 you went to a devry tier uni
I go to a mid tier school that the FAANGs recruit from regularly. I've been through it myself and they literally didn't ask about OOP concepts, only "implement this thing in O(goatse) time"

Nobody wants to learn boomer OOP shit they want to learn whatever the goolag is hiring new employees off of

people still use OOP retard it hasnt gone anywhere

No shit, never said they didn't
I'm just saying it's pretty irrelevant for college level programming and interview prep