GNU IceCat

Is this the biggest meme browser in existence?
>not available in many repos, making it a pain to install even for Gentoo users and making it difficult to know when there's been a critical update
>Most of the addons are FOSSfag shit that need to be disabled in order to make the fucking thing work (the LibreJS shit is like 90% false positives)
>the third-party request blocking stuff makes a lot of sites non-functonal even when you go out of your way to tick all of the boxes in Searxes' Third-party Request Blocker
>even with generous setting on Searxes', a lot of popular sites like wiki pages or Twitch need you to make specific settings (that often don't save unless you go even more out of your way) to get shit like images to work.
>despite the extra effort, it provides LESS privacy than what you'd get from configuring Firefox ESR with a few addons properly
>hasn't updated in like 4 months, even for security patches, making it LESS SECURE THAN ESR (currently it's like 6 security patches behind).
Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of making some Ultimate No Bullshit Telemetry version of Firefox by taking IceCat and doing all the shit that a /fucko/ guy would do to ESR in order to make it super private, but is it worth being several months of security patches behind?

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuzilla/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOSS
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git
privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2018/09/firefox-hardening-guide/
spyware.neocities.org/guides/firefox.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can apply Icecat scripts to current ESR, you don't need the binaries

Your patches to fix any of these issues are welcome. I hear your complaints but right now it's a manpower issue. The only people who provide any consistent feedback and funding to it is the FSF, who use it to browse like 3 websites.

How and where?

Than what do people who want to use Firefox use?

>Than what do people who want to use Firefox use?
Firefox

Literally just use Firefox with some about:config tweaks + uBO, Noscript and HTTPS Everywhere. If you really want a clearnet browser configured for complete privacy use Tor Browser with the proxy settings disabled. Icecat is indeed a meme.

NoScript is useless when you have uBO.

Why have I never seen this before? savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuzilla/

I mostly agree with you, but you'll need more than just those few. How is Noscript these days? It's been a while since I've used it.

I was using icecat for a bit. It's pretty true. You have to disable almost everything to make it usable.
Ungoogled chromium #1

>>not available in many repos, making it a pain to install even for Gentoo users and making it difficult to know when there's been a critical update
What's to install, just download and run it...
>i use gentoo btw

uBlock can block JavaScript per domain so noScript is useless.

Go on, do it. It's not even in Gentoo's repos.

I know that.
You're not hearing me.
Just download it from their site.
And run it.

>firefox
Firefox is not completely libre. It has some propietary software in it. Do not use it if you value your freedoms.
IceCat is fully FLOSS.
>gentoo
Gentoo includes installation recipes for a number of nonfree programs in its primary package system. It's not safe if you want freedom-respecting programs.

>FLOSS

Your harddrive is not completely libre. It has some propietary firmware in it. Do not use it if you value your freedoms.

Attached: 1546972791983.png (300x250, 18K)

Free, Libre, and Open Source.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOSS

If such firmware is read-only, then it doesn't really matter if it's propietary or not. It's a circuit.

I think you're missing the point of my sarcasm...

That protecting your freedom is bad?

I use icecat on adroid every fucking day with ublock. Op youre just stupid.

What is the point in defending the abusive behavior of certain hardware companies, when you know they are acting against your interests?

Doesn't libre already mean free?

Yes, but FLOSS is catchier than FOSS.
Besides, it makes it clearer that you're talking about freedom, not price.

No, simply that it's ultimately impossible, and ragging on Gentoo for containing proprietary software in their repos when it's entirely possible to have a completely libre Gentoo installation despite this is absurd.
What fucking roundabout left turn did your brain make to get from my snarky comment all the way to "he's defending hardware companies"?

Arguments?

>>despite the extra effort, it provides LESS privacy than what you'd get from configuring Firefox ESR with a few addons properly
Citation needed.

So call it LOSS.

>What fucking roundabout left turn did your brain make
Cute, I'm not the one who jumped from something totally unrelated into a defense of botnet hardrives

>No, simply that it's ultimately impossible, and ragging on Gentoo for containing proprietary software in their repos when it's entirely possible to have a completely libre Gentoo installation despite this is absurd.
There is nothing absurd about not wanting to use a distro that endorses proprietary software.

Not quite, NoScript also blocks XSS attacks clickjacking.

This seems to be another edition in a wonderful series of threads where firefox proponents disparage forks while deceptively promoting firefox. Is this because desperation or perhaps just a underhanded campaign by the unethical.

Neither. Forks of Firefox are usually just Firefox with a different icon and some preconfigured settings and addons. The only "fork" worth a shit is Tor Browser because of its unique functionality.

tell me how please

>it's only freedom when we say so

Attached: 1545269018009.jpg (321x357, 17K)

No it's freedom when the license says so.

Or are you really trying to argue that binary blobs with licenses preventing reverse engineering, modification, and redistribution are free as in freedom?

Am I not free to use nonfree software?
Am I not free to be willfully put into leather bondage gear and flogged?

Attached: 1540167820271.png (1600x1079, 342K)

I just use it for kitty icon

Based

tfw almost fell for the FOSS meme

So why are there only two browsers, effectively? Google's shit, and Firefox which has been taken over by hipsters who support everything Google does but want to be the ones doing it instead of Google.

Why are there no ACTUAL third party browsers of note?

Modern browser engines are huge projects, because the web itself is a bloated mess. Only big corporations have the manpower to develop one and even then it's questionable how profitable it is with Blink already having such a huge market share (there's a reason even Microsoft gave up and uses Blink now).
So if you only have a small dev team you can either use an existing engine, fork one and backport patches or write a very basic engine from scratch, that doesn't support most modern websites.

Are you shitting me? Just look up the versions for ESR.

Here's a citation about the version history (unrelated to , I'm just retarded).

>mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/
>git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git
The relevant Firefox ESR last updated in March 2019 (version 60.6.1) but Icecat last updated in November 2018 (from version 60.3.0 of ESR). If you want proof that security updates happened, go through the version history for Firefox linked above.

Less security=Less privacy.
IceCat has less security (see ).

A better argument is to point out what you can do with UMatrix or UBO when properly configured or to mention stuff like how there's no automatic cookie deletion.

Indie projects can't keep up with security updates.

It's really just that all of the Firefox forks are shit and therefore you're betting off piling Firefox with a bunch of addons that make it not shit.

Seriously, can you name a single Firefox fork that keeps up with security updates at a pace close to that of ESR?

The makeicecat script?

Just build it from source it takes legit 30 seconds. Given I suggest you disable the librejs plugin it breaks like everything... Fuck it I'll be back with a custom install script boi.

Attached: image0-2(1).jpg (817x750, 126K)

Icecat legit builds Firefox and just applies custom settings to it. Its not a fork in its common sense its Firefox ESR with changed configs thats it.

The biggest meme browser is that shit that came pre-loaded on my kindle 7 fire.
It's a terrible browser, but it's not safari so I'm okay with it.

I know what you're talking about, you can find it somewhere in savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuzilla/

But you can't guarantee that it works between ESR versions. The only reliable Icecat is an outdated and insecure one.

>Gentoo includes installation recipes for a number of nonfree programs in its primary package system. It's not safe if you want freedom-respecting programs.
Gentoo in particular makes installing a completely free system very easy, as you can mask all nonfree licenses in Portage.
It's a much better approach than any other distro. You can be guaranteed to avoid nonfree packages, like FSF-approved distributions, and at the same time have the possibility to easily install proprietary packages if you need them.

Sadly you are right the closes thing you can get is a repo that auto attempts to build with the old settings using CI/CD to test if it does. Even then its not full proof since when it dies you'll have to rework shit.

And BTW I was wrong icecat is a rebuild they are still using gecko while ESR moved to quantum. This explains why it takes longer for the updates. So even just to port the settings you'll need to do some work finding quantums specifics.

The only problem with IceCat is that it's behind on ESR versions. The rest of your complaints are just user error/you being retarded. I do wish they would hurry the fuck up and fix the icecat script on later ESR builds though.

Are you implying that LibreJS is good?

No but you just disable it and replace it with umatrix. It's not anything worth whining over.

>Icatcat isn't on Quantum
You're sure? I can remember my addons breaking.

Lemme guess, same for Searxes'?

>Lemme guess, same for Searxes'?
Duh. uMatrix does the same thing but better. The default addons are mostly pointless (the tor button is nice though) but they aren't outright malicious or anything (it's just free software), so you disable it and move on.

Then aren't you just repeating the OP point from after the greentext?

No. The OP was complaining about sites breaking because he's retarded and doesn't understand how these things work. I have no issues with blocking third party requests and shit OOTB. That makes sense. IceCat just chooses shitty addons to bundle with instead of the superior ones like ublock origin+umatrix that do the same things but much better.

No user, AFTER the greentext.

I misunderstood. Yeah I suppose so. I use the librefox config (with some minor tweaks) on the latest stable myself.

Icecat hasnt been updated in 4 months which makes it gay
Also there were things in about:config that was on by default, like geo location and webrtc +++

Modify firefox yourself, dont let some autistdo it for you
Heres 2 firefox guides just modify as much in about:config as u want, with these
privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2018/09/firefox-hardening-guide/
spyware.neocities.org/guides/firefox.html

Addons i recommend for firefox:
Decentraleyes, cookie autodelete, ublock origin, noscript, https everywhere, privacy badger

I don't use Privacy Badger/Possum. What does it do that the other extensions don't?

It blocks third party trackers. Its redundant with umatrix, but noscript is better than umatrix because it blocks xss, javascript exploits like spectre and meltdown, which umatrix doesnt
Privacybadger works great with noscript and ublock origin together

Yup so you're right some addons don't break but one of reasons is in the manifest.json there still is a gecko id addons that have these are also compatible with mobile Firefox. In quantum Firefox auto generates a random id so you don't need to specify one on gecko it doesn't. Also are you sure that you aren't using older plugins can you post a pic of them too.

Miss read the post. Yea check the manifest.json for the plugins and add a gecko id your plugins are gonna work.

Sounds like you feel for the noscript marketing buzzwords friend.

>noscript is better than umatrix because it blocks xss
uMatrix absolutely blocks cross site scripts. Nonsense.

>javascript exploits like spectre and meltdown, which umatrix doesnt
This is bullshit. uMatrix blocks javascript exploits exactly the same way noscript does: by not connecting to the domain. There's no secret magic in noscript that makes it somehow block javascript better than how uMatrix blocks javascript.

Wrong, noscript can block xss with javascript enabled. Umatrix cant

You don't understand how it works. In noscript if you enable a script from a certain domain that is whitelisted and that script calls code from a different domain that is not whitelisted, it will give you a popup asking you whether or not to let that script run. If this happens in uMatrix, the script just fails to run because you did not whitelist that other domain. The only difference is that gorhill did not invent a marketing buzzword for it.

Well i main tor on tails so i win

It's packaged for Guix which can be run on foreign distros.

Is this guy legit retarded?

Attached: umatrix.png (873x346, 41K)

How do I even get this on Windows, the github repos sound shady af

>Seriously, can you name a single Firefox fork that keeps up with security updates at a pace close to that of ESR?
Waterfox. That was easy. Next question.

How do I debotify ffox nightly

You don't, the windows builds were discontinued because there is no point to running a botnet-free browser on an os that is botnet.

I think you should be free to use nonfree software if you wish

just use waterfox you fags, you have no excuse if you still have to go out of your way to remove shit to make the browser usable, might as well do so on a fork that at least has the latest firefox ESR security updates.

is this another example of Jow Forums spending hours to make something usable and then pretending it's good because they already spent so much time on it they delude themselves it's the best thing ever? or are people just jacking off because it was "gnu" on its name

Are you a retard?

Fennec F-droid is usually only a few days behind Firefox mobile.

who gives a fuck about phones you stupid phoneposter

It’s super great, OP’s a fag.

Maybe?

NOT UPDATED IN 4 MONTHS
M
O
N
T
H
S

Like you would with normal Firefox. The only thing you can't disable is the data collection in about:telemetry (Note: the data gets collected, but you can disable the transmission of those telemetry pings and their archival).

>still based on ESR 52
Come back when the new alpha gets released.

that's done on purpose you retard, to keep compatibility with firefox legacy addons, as long as the security updates keep rolling why the fuck would you care about something as mundane as that other than you like the newer UI

How do you get the security update when the repo is old as fuck?

>why the fuck would you care about something as mundane as that
You realize the new alpha will be based on ESR 68?

Wait, I thought the only reason morons promoted Waterfox was for "muh legacy extensions". You're telling me that the dev is deciding to kill those off?

As far as I understand it he plans to use the same compatibility layer as Thunderbird to keep legacy addon support.

What? It's on like version 56.

Icecat has the best icon out of all browsers and it seems to be a browser that does browser stuff, I save the icon because its nice but don't use the browser. The meme browsers are brave and firefox because they are shilled so hard on here.

Attached: verified.png (32x32, 1K)

>icon
Yeah it's fucking lovely.

Enjoy 4 month old browser

And that's somehow a bad thing why? What part of still getting security updates and supporting legacy addons don't you understand? Don't tell me you're one of those fags who think New = Better

Listen to this man, he has a verified account