/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What was the last time you used an optical disc?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis

Attached: 1550917385872.jpg (4592x3056, 3.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

5dmemorycrystal.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yesterday, ripped a couple CDs i got at the thrift store to flac.

5dmemorycrystal.com
U jelly?

>5dmemorycrystal.com
Actually based, hopefully this becomes a thing for consumers.
You can only play those on your PC, are your speakers good enough?

last week, I back my shit up to 100GB Blu-Rays.
how jelly are you?

Attached: 2-1080.2847318446.jpg (1524x1080, 143K)

Brother

Attached: 100Gb BD-RE res comp.png (2000x1500, 1.17M)

It's the one that backs up data from camcorders, right?

What software to use for backing shit up to disks?
Currently I'm using a combination of tar, gpg and split to do it.
I also use par2 for small files to create recovery records if the files can't be easily replaced from internet
Is there something to automate the process?

>What software to use for backing shit up to disks?
Nero back it up or the file explorer, like I do.
>Is there something to automate the process?
You can learn a programming language for that.

I haven't found a headunit for my car that matches perfectly yet, so I've kept it stock. OEM is a six CD stacker, so I have six double album CDs burned for it.

Alright, many people use CD's to listen to music in a car. Any pictures? Of the discs or the system?

>nero
non-free software. also windows only
>learn programming
I already know programming. I don't want to waste a year of my time to implement every feature I want when something like that might have been done already

Someone, maintain this thread while I'm away.

Attached: verbatim vinyl.jpg (500x500, 37K)

I gave it some research. apparently there is a utility called "dar" that does everything I want. compression, encryption, differential backup, automatic splitting and recovery

>BD-REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>You can only play those on your PC, are your speakers good enough?
?????????????????

I love mini CDs, I wish more music had been released on them.
Also mini CDs never had a regula rpackage, anyone know what package did they the first time they came out?

Attached: 1344310683066.jpg (640x480, 67K)

>What was the last time you used an optical disc?

Today. I burned some files for my mom.

It can play dvd's, except I don't have the remote and it has no play button itself. I use it as a an usb dvd reader and burner.

I know this looks cool but it's just a regular cd that looks like vinyl
it's like a sticker or something
see for yourself, they probably have them at walmart, not worth it imo

I've got a few music albums like that. its pretty slick if its got a custom label on it. pretty fuckin lame if it just says "Verbatim CD-R" in the middle

I'm using minidiscs in the last few days, I find them pretty cool and comfy

Attached: img_eggsif_2505623823003259400.jpg (3264x2448, 1018K)

>Be me, last winter
>Programming class
>African teacher with the thickest accent has been doing this shit for nearly thirty years
>Military, PayPal, now a teacher
>Said that we should start bringing our own USBs to class and that the computers would've held more but the school insisted on leaving four sockets to make way for a DVD Drive
"There is no one in this class who has used one of those, they're as old as one of these!"
>Holds up an orange magnetic platter covered in scratches, then an 8'' Floppy Disk
"No one in the right man would use one of those."
>I raise my hand, he calls on me, I just show him my CD in its Jewel case
>He just stares at me like I had called his mother a Pygmy fucker
"Mr. user, why do you have a CD?"
>Be-cause the drive is there and I couldn't find my USB stick?
"So you found a CD instead?"
>Ya
"Why?"
>I got a cylinder full of them at home
>I just shrug like in pic related
"Okay; there is only ONE of you that uses this Drive."

I think they're just neat.

Attached: The Shrug.jpg (500x327, 19K)

*I've been using minidiscs for
I can't fucking speak

I buy PS4 games on optical media.

Attached: 1554248968644.png (470x556, 236K)

I used MiniDiscs up until 2015 or so.
The last decks had ATRAC encoders that were on par with mp3 320 in terms of sound quality, if you didn't use any LP or ATRAC3 bullshit modes that is. Especially if you recorded directly from S/PDIF.
That said, fuck lugging around an autism bag full of MDs. It was certainly better than cassettes, but if you constantly rotate through a huge music collection like I do, it's quite the hassle.

Some days I kinda wish minidiscs came back, even if only just to be used as a data-only 1 GB superfloppy. So much comfier than naked CD/DVD/BDs, and somewhat more durable.

It'd also be a perfect fit for those corporate/military offices still using CDRWs due to paranoia about USB drives.

I can only guess the main reason it didn't happen in the first place were typical Sony screwups, plus patents. Maybe it might still happen in a few years; most of the patents are expired now for the pre-2000 elements.

A couple of days ago I used this boi to rip two UHD discs. The process is kind of cool, because it doesn't officially support UHD, but it can rip them with hacked or downgraded firmware. Mine came with firmware version 1.04, which was supposed to have extra downgrade protection, but you can still downgrade it if you cross-flash hacked ASUS firmware first (which works because both the ASUS and LG drives use the same MediaTek platform.)

Attached: BH16NS55-01.jpg (1600x1200, 294K)

Sony has the Optical Disk Archive. But I doubt It will be cheap enough for the average consumer anytime soon.

Attached: Optical Disk Archive.jpg (1280x830, 69K)

>It uses removable cartridges, where each cartridge holds 12 optical discs. Each of the internal optical discs is similar to, but not compatible with, a Blu-ray disc. The latest version of the cartridge, that has a total capacity of about 3.3TB, uses discs that hold about 300GB each.

Oh, that's for very different use cases than I was thinking about. That's more for heavy duty write-once archiving; I was thinking more about everyday office sneakernet.

>But I doubt It will be cheap enough for the average consumer anytime soon.
When I looked it up (because I'd never heard of it before), I saw drives going for $7k and 1.5TB cartridges for $200.

Nigga, those were the shit!

Looking forward to that being available to the masses.

The other day actually. But it's stuck in my CD player. I need to open it up here soon to take it out. Hopefully the drive mechanism in the CD player isn't dead.

Attached: 1536439273651.jpg (1200x803, 386K)

Earlier today when I was playing Pro Skater 4

Death to (((streaming))) media

Attached: efwefkj4jkwejjfkw.jpg (4032x3024, 2.59M)

All the time, burned an M-disc BDXL today, will watch a 4k blu-ray tomorrow
I have no reason to believe it is usable. Previous in development discs such as Hyper CD-ROM and tapestry media were able to hold much closer to their maximum capacity much earlier in development than that crystal. They were able to fit 10tb on one Hyper CD-ROM in 2000 and tapestry media which was a type of holographic versatile disc was able to fit 1.6tb with a goal of 6tb in 2011 I think. 5d crystal can supposedly hold 360tb but after years all they have put on them are individual ebooks, and supposedly a back up of "human knowledge" very recently after all these years but I don't think they stated the specific amount.
Dr. Paval who created the Hyper CD-ROM funded the development himself so the big players wouldn't have got a cut.
Don't get me wrong, I want it to be real and be sold to regular consumers ASAP and for games to be sold physically for PC using them and because hopefully it will get some people to stop paying for digital distribution at the very least.

Based

Anyone know a good tool to make an iso from a disk? The optical drive I'm using sounds like it's about to fail and I'm worried that it's going to shatter my fucking dvds.

going to encode some cds i borrowed from the library because I couldn't find any .flac torrents from said albums that were alive.

Attached: vbtux.png (173x204, 25K)

I have a pressed CDA mini-CD and it came in a paper sleeve.

Based! Oy vey goy, pay for something you can't even physically own.

If I read the scant wikipedia summary right, we don't have them because it would take a kilowatt laser a couple months to write 360 TB, and there's no other way to do it.
But I'm not too worried about optical keeping up; blu ray is supposedly extendable to the 200 GB to 1 TB range, and while streaming is still janky for 4K, those glorious wall-sized 8K microLED screens are coming soon. The manufacturers will be pushing for discs that fully show off their hardware, and the disc capacities that work for 8K movies should also be adequate all the way to the peak of 8K gaming. That's like 20 years.

bump