Shill me emacs

ive been using atom for ages but its bloated and lately its decided to have 4-7 seconds of input lag

>why should i use emacs
>should i use emacs
>what should i use instead
>why

Attached: feelsgnuman.png (1048x1024, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neovim.io/
onivim.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Vim is better but you might like emacs if you're into eating toe fungus

>Vim is better
pls explain

don't
t. uses emacs daily

what should i use instead

Acme

In the process of moving to Emacs here. The defaults are not friendly to Vim users but that can change. You'll like the customization, is one of the first things you learn. Is easier than Vim.

>customisation
visual or functional or both

>im a bit of a theme fag

I didnt do much right now but in Emacs you can do whatever the fuck you want. I wouldnt be surprised you can make it look like Eclipse. I just want minimal visuals but enough information and Emacs let me do that. I saw a guy posting a config with an anime picture in its Emacs though.

im gay

You shouldn't use vanilla Emacs unless you are alright with taking tens of hours just to learn elisp and its internals. Try some distribution like Spacemacs instead.

Also, Emacs without Evil mode will unironically cause you CTS in less than two weeks of use (at least if you are a professional software engineer or a phd student/candidate). Trust me, I couldn't sleep for several days because of the pain...

You can also try:
neovim.io/
onivim.io/

brief summary of differences between vanilla vim and neo/onivim?

>tens of hours
I disagree, Emacs make it easy to copy paste configs from the Internet.

(global-visual-line-mode t)
Thats it to activate word wrap.

Vim has gotten so bloated that now it's just a poor man's Emacs.

The only thing that vanilla Emacs doesn't have to be usable is good default keybindings. Luckily, all you need is install Evil mode (or just create your custom bindings, as I did), and after that, you already have a much better editor than Vim and a dozen plugins. No need to use distributions.

>Try some distribution like Spacemacs instead.
Only a good option if you're mentally deficient and/or lazy as fuck.

>Vim has gotten so bloated that now it's just a poor man's Emacs.
we really need a vi clone written in common lisp

Isn't that what Evils is with the difference is in Elisp?

you're still stuck with all the emacs bottlenecks though

But those bottlenecks can be disable though

vim and emacs are both bloated, use `ed`

I use Vim, but since OP is coming from Atom then maybe Onivim will feel a bit more familiar.
There is literally nothing wrong with Spacemacs, my own .emacs.d is on a practical level almost equivalent.

There's nothing wrong with using it if you are mentally challenged and like every choice being made for you. But people who can follow simple instructions and learn basic new tasks are better off just configuring it on their own.
>my own .emacs.d is on a practical level almost equivalent.
Except you have gained the knowledge to maintain and extend your config and it contains only things you want.

There have been a lot of posts recently implying there is *absolutely no reason* to use Vim above Emacs so I've been trying to switch.
I can't express how wrong that is so far.
I will only touch on a few points here.

>You get your Vim bindings in Emacs using Evil Mode
Except for the fact that Vim keys aren't actually the core of Emacs, so you can't rely on good keys in any of the dozens of modes that come with Emacs or any third party packages.
>Emacs has superior features to every area of Vim either natively or through packages
It does not even have a good layout management package that can be compared with Vim tabs.
I can't get more essential than that.
>Emacs is an extensible editor, you can configure it to your needs
My .vimrc is less than 100 lines, and I still benefit from modern features.
Not even Spacemacs can replace it.
I don't want to maintain my own editor, even if it is written in Lisp.
>Vim is actually heavier than Emacs, it has a VimScript bundled in and other heavy features
Vim has minimal *features* compared to Emacs.
Vim has basically 6 different modes to learn.
Emacs has N different modes with N different submodes which can come from packages.
Every feature has these kinds of tradeoffs, with lots of possibilities but distinctly complicated.

Overall: if you want to learn an existing, consistent, and easy to think about workflow, use Vim. If you want to create your OWN workflow, use Emacs.

>Except for the fact that Vim keys aren't actually the core of Emacs, so you can't rely on good keys in any of the dozens of modes that come with Emacs or any third party packages.
Emacs has lots of packages and is to expect many function unlike Vim's mentality, but that is to expect with so many packages. Even so, many packages have vim compatibility packages outside Evil.
>It does not even have a good layout management package that can be compared with Vim tabs.
Not sure what you mean. I assume you dont like buffers. But I am pretty sure there is a package to use buffers as you like.
>My .vimrc is less than 100 lines, and I still benefit from modern features.
No real comparison here. Everyone knows Emacs is by far more extensible. Even if you like what you have.
>Vim has minimal *features* compared to Emacs.
I tried to compile Vim in a computer and install Emacs in the same. The same machine and Vim complains that I *require* dependencies that Emacs dont, all while Emacs give me far more features.

It seems you just want to hold on to Vim. But is not as minimal as Emacs or as extensible, that's for sure. And is far more consistent knowing all that it supports. While I many Vim addons break or just wont work.

@70443116
>*absolutely no reason* to use Vim above Emacs
No reason which can't be summarized by laziness and shit taste in software.
>so you can't rely on good keys in any of the dozens of modes that come with Emacs or any third party packages
This is just blatantly retarded and wrong. I don't know how to do basic navigation in emacs mode and I somehow still use emacs with more than 80 packages installed.
>an existing, consistent, and easy to think about workflow
It's only easy to think about or consistent for someone who doesn't want to learn anything different and is just trying to replicate his exact workflow by using shitty ""features"" like tabs.

A lot of your points are stuff I wanted to expand on but I didn't have space for. Sorry, I'm just trying to give a quick run down.
>many packages have vim compatibility packages outside Evil.
It is not as deeply integrated as it is in Vim itself. I have no desire to ever drop out of my zone and think about what I'm going to press next, which I *personally* find I do whenever mnemonic keys are not available.
>Not sure what you mean. I assume you dont like buffers
No, I work primarily with buffers in Vim and I like buffers in Emacs. Tabs have a very specific function, and that is for persistent window layouts. It shouldn't be the primary way you work with buffers but its purpose is essential.
Think of it this way: in Vim, window layouts are automatically saved, easy to navigate, visually present, easy to distinguish, and trivial to manage. In Emacs, you manually save your layout to a register and reload it when you need it again by default. The packages that get closest to achieving everything Vim does are not actively maintained, or have any community involvement, and they look terrible because they're very old and no one has written themes for them.
That's not to say that there is no use for the Emacs way of doing things. I simply have no use *personally* for rolling my own window layout management when I already have a system that is fully available.
>Emacs is by far more extensible
I'm not contesting that at all, in fact, if you like that above all else, you should use Emacs.
>The same machine and Vim complains that I *require* dependencies that Emacs dont, all while Emacs give me far more features.
When I talk about minimalism or simplicity, I am not talking about Vim's size on the disk, or its language, or its compile time.
I am talking about user-facing features and *nothing* else.

Not to say any of this is bad in Emacs' favour, it is simply different - but VERY different from Vim. Liking Vim's workflow is a good reason to use it.

>vim is better

Attached: but_thats_wrong_you_fucking_retard.jpg (400x400, 22K)

Idk why people bother with editors like emacs and vim. I learned vim. I don't like it.

Use Geany or if you're alright with proprietary stuff, Sublime Text. Geany's damn good.

>laziness
>doesn't want to learn anything different
Somewhat underpinned by the fact that I have been and continue to learn about Emacs and the Emacs way of doing things.
>I somehow still use emacs with more than 80 packages installed.
How many of those packages don't have mnemonic, standardized, ergonomic keys out of the box?
0 of my Vim plugins have that problem.
Not that there's anything wrong with liking that level of configuration, I'm simply saying there's nothing wrong with not wanting to maintain that.
>just trying to replicate his exact workflow
And a different workflow it is, hence there are reasons to use Vim.

Switch to Witchmacs

Attached: gnumarisa.png (674x626, 117K)

im lazy af

Because they are more powerful than anything that's been made since

If you read less than two books you didn't learn Vim

I wasted the best years of my life using emacs
.t visual studio code user

they're both still unironically single threaded
install visual studio (code)

>Somewhat underpinned by the fact that I have been and continue to learn about Emacs and the Emacs way of doing things.
I'm mainly talking about how you think maintaining a config is somehow a downside or a hard task.
>mnemonic, standardized, ergonomic keys out of the box?
The ergonomics are highly subjective, but they are mnemonic and standardized. I didn't dislike any of the default keybindings for the non-evil packages I've encountered, and the uncommon ones I just call from M-x anyway. The only customization I've personally made is opening specific files or doing other utility stuff through a leader key.
>I'm simply saying there's nothing wrong with not wanting to maintain that.
The level of maintenance is about the same you have with your .vimrc (excluding the initial hurdles) and depends entirely on you. I just write my config in org (which is very simple to learn), so it's really well organized and I don't remember most of it until I need to make changes.
>And a different workflow it is, hence there are reasons to use Vim.
This again boils down to your laziness/inability to configure emacs to recreate your workflow efficiency-wise or even adopt a potentially better one.