How do you know if you bought a shit motherboard?

How do you know if you bought a shit motherboard?

Attached: MSI-Computer-Gaming-Motherboards[1].jpg (1500x1021, 244K)

Can't oc your racecar ram

Fan controls: 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100%

CPU voltage controls: 1.10v, 1.15v, 1.20v, 1.25v

This is the kind of shit msi does

If it works, it's good.
If it doesn't, it's shit.

>install FreeBSD
>can't boot into it
>do some research
>my shitty ASRock motherboard has a broken UEFI implementation

This but if it has gaymer dragons on it, it's still probably shit even if it works.

WoW! That Red Dragon must make is super fast and powerful!

Attached: marky mark.jpg (800x1081, 144K)

Is MSI worth it? It seems really cheap.

>broken UEFI implementation
>implying this isn't the norm
BIOS masterrace

It breaks or doesnt do what you want it to do

this
fuck MSI
good thing I could still sell it for a decent price

If its gigabyte don't fucking buy it.

T: a retard that made a mistake buying a x470 gigabyte motherboard with limited voltage control

But the Gigabyte is so cheap.

>How do you know if you bought a shit motherboard?
By posting it on Jow Forums after you've bought it and asking if it's any good, and then reading the responses.
This goes for all products, not just motherboards. And remember: Never, ever do any research or ask beforehand.

Attached: F28CE6D8-ADC8-46FC-B49C-11085D6860B2.jpg (2732x2048, 2.17M)

kek

My motherboard coilwhines, so it's partial shit, because everything else is fine

This was written by an Apple Pencil.

You test your motherboard with only the CPU, RAM, and monitor connected. So you can troubleshoot earlier before putting it in the case.

I didn't say "broken", I mean what qualifies as a motherboard that isn't worth the silicon it's made out of?

if its made by MSI, asrock or intel then its shit

This one right here. Don't ever get close or you get aids.

Attached: Screenshot_25.png (1206x924, 765K)

How I know I bought a good motherboard. It's x58 and been running daily for 10 years.

if it doesn't work
this

buy asrock theyre based af
nevermind ignore my previous statement. but seriously are you sure its asrocks fault?

another asrock owner here, yes it is their fault they have retarded eufi implementations on all their boards
their boards are infamous for fucking up on linux, bsd and hackintosh related shit

FUCK them

Also has a broken BIOS updater called M-Flash. The BIOS froze whenever I tried to update it. I had to use a third-party tool from the MSI forum to boot into some DOS thing from a flash drive to update it successfully.

works on my machine

Attached: b450m-mortar-titanium.png (1000x934, 373K)

i had a similar issue with my z87 asrock board with linux. my usb ports also liked to play a game of whac-a-mole on every reboot on whether they would turn on or not. weird thing was it was both usb 3 and the 2 ports. 2 different controllers.

everything breaks if i try to attach more than 8gb of ram

sexy as fuck. to bad its a poozen board.

I love my poozen, though I've been too lazy to OC it yet.

oh nothing wrong with liking or owning a poozen. just as long as you acknowledge its a poozen.

Attached: 1539599848486.png (500x600, 197K)

Never had a bad Asus board. That's why I buy nothing else out of habit.

if
>regulators get fried to death when cpu draws more than 100amps
>you can't overclock when installed more than 16gigs of ram
>you hear a constant coilwhine
>you hear every single pop/noise/flicker of the internal components through its audio jack
>you can't tune the fan speeds
>manually set voltages fluctuate more than 50mv under the same load for no reason

Asus or ASRock are good. Don't buy budget boards

When it starts crashing under load while smelling like burnt electronics. Fucking MSI boards and their terrible VRM

This

Attached: ASRock_Logo.png (5000x866, 135K)

If the word "Asus" is written anywhere on it

Attached: 1549917947101.png (303x279, 18K)

When it doesn't work with lm_sensors or other free software sensor software with minimal configuration.

watch the crazy vdroop

ASSRock was your first mistake. They are a company meant for situations where you've got a bunch of machines you need to get running (limping) along until you can properly replace them. Ever wonder why they make things like motherboards with DDR3 and DDR2 slots? You can't use both types simultaneously, after all... It's so you can use that same mobo to resuscitate several machines; bring one back until you can transfer the data to a new one, retire it, pull the mobo, repeat with next machine. Their shit isn't meant to last, and is made cheaply enough that if it doesn't at least make it to the 1 year warranty point, it won't kill them to replace it.

Yeah but the red makes it run really hot. Should've gotten the blue dragon version

>ASRock
>Don't buy budget boards
I don't even.

LLC to the rescue.

I went from MEG Z390 ACE to ASUS Z390 Strix E-Gaming

And could now get my i9 9900K stable at 1.290v instead of 1.345v

So much hate for ASUS VRM, but damn, those few big ones are better than people claim.

Also best UEFI and good dual boot for Unix.

Has the word '''''gaming''''' printed anywhere on it.

No ECC support
and this

you almost got me, lucky mine says snsv

anything gigabyte is shit.. ANYTHING.

when it has tacky plastic shit that fuck thermals over.

I agree had gigabyte board die on me. buy only MSI or asrock rest is garbage

It has aesthetics as a selling point

not based or rogpilled

If it uses an Intel socket

if it says GIGABYTE on it

>gigabyte is shit
>asus is shit
>asrock is shit
>msi is shit
the fuck brand should i get then Jow Forums? reeeeeeeeee

Made by Assrock

Source Assrock motherboard owner.

>How do you know if you bought a shit motherboard?
You know when there's a pop from a capacitor blowing and your computer turns off and there's smoke eminating from your case after a two years of use.

Yes, this actually happened. It was a common problem with Taiwanese capacitors around 1999-2003 and a lot of boards produced around that time failed like that the following years. I guess it was time to upgrade that Athlon XP anyway but still.. wasn't it wasn't a nice experience.

There's a lot of things to complain about on modern motherboards, they ain't perfect. But they don't just randomly die of capacitors blowing, never had that happen since.

is this a trick question?
if it doesn't work

Attached: confused dog.gif (499x300, 427K)

Dell OEM for your used xeon

It's not a 990FXA-UD3.

Attached: best mobo ever made.jpg (1600x1200, 389K)

Does it still work 10 years later with no more vdroop than out the box?

Cus say what you want about the moar phases meme, my 16+2 P6T Deluxe v.2 is rock fucking solid.

anything ASSUS, MemeSI or Gaygabyte

Attached: 1304214240201.jpg (409x393, 29K)

>everything popular is bad!
yeah, fuck all the conformists!

Attached: 1435775031367.gif (640x360, 1.79M)

>everything popular is good!

Why is this bad?

Gigabyte is good, Jow Forums is memeing. My board is doing great and it was only like $115.

You can't possibly be this stupid..

Right, but you can

>no u
It was rhetorical, simpleton. You've already shown it, remember?

They have done you a favor

>gaygabyte
>not niggabyte

idk it's all nerd shit, if it works it works i guess. everything else is just preference, i like mobos that have everything i could ever possibly need

based

Attached: 1545915126500.png (480x355, 133K)

You don't until it up and died.
Only as good as the CPU and ram u put in.
This I swore off gigabyte a decade ago aweful products from mobos to gpus Fu k them hope they go out of business

The only simpleton here is you
>I'll keep saying LOL U STUPID with pompous wording until it sticks

asrock's highend costs as much as asus's lowend, and it's the best set of boards on the market. It's feature set isn't the greatest at the lowend but it's still better than anything else there.

Gigabyte has an excellent feature set at the high end, but it's VRM's aren't great for almost all of their boards.

Asus's support is dogshit, and they tend to introduce new bios versions and chipsets with literally no knowledge of how they work. They once had me try to throw out a perfectly working WD blue nvme drive because it wasn't "from a reputable manufacturer"

I mean that's fucking pathetic, they just had no clue how to work their x299 boards and were blaming anything that wasn't themselves. They also said my EVGA 1070 was possibly the culprit, despite me testing all my hardware on two other platforms. The documentation was awful and incomplete and they didn't have the info anywhere online for a new launch. I'm sure not all their products have this problem but god damn, you don't sit through an hour of someone who's more of a dumbass then you are and listen to them flip through the same manual you have in your hands to no avail and come away from it enjoying the experience.

msi is bad for all the other shit reasons listed in this thread.

There is no HPET toggle.

Ignoring these fanboy answers:
Here are some actual things.
Low end VRMs
Limited Bios settings (voltage fan speed ex)
Sub $75 Ryzen boards are basically trash.
Low Speed sub 3400mhz ddr4 support.
Lacking i/o
No newer plugs like Type-C
Watching Buildzoid vids will usually give you an idea of the quality of the MOBO.

Attached: Grand Blue Chap 52.jpg (576x1272, 261K)

The way I see it, you should have one VRM phase per core.

This. I had an old IT pro coworker tell me they're great so I emphatically trusted him -- 4 years and 3 boards later I know now gigabyte is the budget (not in a good way) option

it has more than one PCI-E slot

I had a windforce 980 that overclocked like a demon and still stayed quiet. the cooling and power delivery were both really good, plus i rolled a good chip. That was a high end card though. Why you would buy the cheapest of the high end chipset mobos are beyond me. Anyone can make a board so the market is competitive. The cheapest one has to skimp on power delivery because they still have to implement all the other features and no one has the balls to sell a motherboard without the integrated audio that no one with a $1000 computer uses anyway.

I wouldn't bank on that, there are plenty of shitty boards the support dual cards, with is less of a thing nowdays, with crappy VRMs that are generally low end boards, anyway.