Gigabit ethernet

I just realized 1 Gbps is really slow. It's only 119.2 MiB, which is slower than Wi-Fi is now.

So why aren't 10Gbps switches more common in consumer hardware? Even USB is now faster than 1Gbps, and more supported. My cheapo OpenWRT router has USB 3.0, as does my PC, so it looks like USB networking is more viable to setup than 10 gigabit ethernet.

Attached: 1.jpg (600x600, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Aquantia-NIC-4-speed-Ethernet-Network/dp/B07BZ28BCW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The average user consumer doesn't transfer massive files over their network on a regular basis. If they do they can wait the 60 seconds for a 40g file to transfer. Wifi maxes out at 800mbps and that's only if you're beside the AP. 5ghz has shit range.

First 10G NICs would have to become mainstream on consumer mobos. You saw how long it took for 1G to become mainstream over FE.

Soon as 1GB internet speed comes common place then you'll see 10GB or 5GB home networking come down to consumer level prices. That's really the only thing that will spur it.

10G is still too expensive. the next step up from gigabit is 802.3bz multi-gigabit ethernet. it's started getting popular over the last year since aquantia and tehuti released cheap chips.

Doubtful, consumers don't need gigabit internet, because streaming companies like Netflix and Youtube are aggressively targeting low bandwidth over quality/bitrate. And even then, to stream a BD you only need sub 50Mb/s internet speeds to max out the bitrate of a BD.

>Wifi maxes out at 800mbps and that's only if you're beside the AP. 5ghz has shit range.
You what nigger, my laptop currently shows 1233Mbps and that's around 6 meters from the AP.

Because outside of specs wifi is still terribly slow and most routers still use old 150N wifi which in real world use means ~70Mbps max transfer speed at close range. You can get above 1Gbps through wifi but that would require that both the router and device support 160MHz channel-wide 4x4 MIMO 802.11ac gen 2 and only be 1 meter away max.

And even if you DID have that most hard drives tank to ~600Mbps (ie 75MB/s) especially when they're even half full.

Attached: as-1750-graph.jpg (770x603, 57K)

Pretty much this. Manufacturers always love to stick whatever new speed/wifi standard is out on their network gear. Once they can convey a perceived benefit to the user they'll do it.

It'll be nice for my NAS.

It already is.
You can buy a 10GbE PCIe controller for 70 yuros, that works over Cat6 (even Cat5 that I've tried), my local ISP also offers equipment capable of 10GbE too.

Come back when you actually know some shit. Pretty sure you don't even own any ac equipment or anything made in the past 10 years if you even think hard drives are relevant.

>You saw how long it took for 1G to become mainstream over FE.
Ive seen it on consumer shit from like a decade and a half ago
The holdup seemed to be the cost of the switches

>Even USB is now faster than 1Gbps
over very short distances

USB 3.1 gen2 maxes at ~3 feet.

I don't believe anyone makes a 10gbps capable USB 3.1 gen 2 cable any longer.

802.11ac? Is that at 160mhz channel width? 80MHz dual band is 800mbps

>which is slower than Wi-Fi is now
not in any real world conditions

a laptop isn't necessarily 2x2.

Macbooks are 3x3 or 4x4, as are most higher end business laptops and some gaming laptops.

Yup, own a netgear 1200AC AP with 2x2 80mhz wide mimo with gigabit ethernet. The highest speed I ever got was around 200Mbps with a laptop right next to the router.

Even then wifi still sucks ass.

Attached: 2013-MBA-charts.0021.png (640x480, 87K)

just because you're unwilling to pay for the required equipment doesn't mean everyone isn't

I've seen realworld speeds of over 850mbps consistently over wifi.

Attached: c4071432d2f1594afa2ec322505d65d8.jpg (600x968, 80K)

>with a laptop right next to the router
Doesn't this cause too much noise, did you try reducing the txpower?

Hell, my phone which is 2x2 using 80mhz DFS channels gets me around 300-400mbps pretty consistently.

Attached: 2019-04-05 22.30.23.jpg (1154x1933, 199K)

Well congrats on beating the system by spending $500 on a gaymen router instead of $5 on an ethernet cable and proving my point, wifi is still slower than 1gbps ethernet.

Tried everything, speeds stayed the same or got slower. I don't even use all that bandwidth, still watch 1mbps 720p youtube videos on my laptop.

this one is a $70 Ubiquiti AC AP Lite at $65. And a Galaxy Note8.

This one however is a macbook pro and a $350 ubiquiti ac ap HD access point.

So that setup is obviously much more expensive.

But just getting 300-400mbps is pretty fucking easy and cheap.

There's also the matter that enterprise and datacenter users really pushed gigabit ethernet along. But with 10-gigabit they stayed with fiber much moreso than they did with 1G. 10Gbase-T on ordinary twisted-pair ethernet is fine for consumer use, just need cat 6 cable. Fiber is very much not suitable at all. It's fragile, doesn't tolerate bending, leave the cables in a drawer without their special caps and dust can ruin them, they're expensive, and oh right SFP+ has a morass of DRM with various makers of switches and network cards trying to make sure that only their SFP+ modules can plug into their gear - so that, of course, they can charge extortionate prices for them.

All this is much less a problem for use in a datacenter, and datacenter people put up with it for the longer range, lower power usage, and slightly lower latency of fiber. But it killed home adoption. If you want 10G in the home it absolutely has to be 10Gbase-T over copper, and that hasn't gotten driven down in price by massive enterprise volume like 1G did back when.

what does your gay ass phone need 300 mbps for

transferring files without having to plug it in

Right which is ungodly slow compared to gigabit ethernet. Unless we start seeing $40 4x4 160Mhz AC routers and people get REAL comfy with being not more than 1 meter away from the router 1gbps ethernet will still have it's place for a while. Even then people who really care about speed will just switch over to 10Gbps ethernet.

the shitty flash inside can't sustain that
smart phone over wifi, what a power user!

fucking joke, tell me more about ethernet's limitations

>Ubiquiti
Do you install OpenWRT on these? And I'm pretty sure literally any router can get ~400mbps given my $30 2x2 Chinese router gets those speeds.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-05_19-49-38.png (393x172, 14K)

There's a big difference between a 10 second internet speed test and actually transfering a big file. Run a 50gb file transfer test and come back here with the averages.

>But just getting 300-400mbps is pretty fucking easy and cheap.
But for $65 you could get a 1gbps switch, nic, and 133ft of cable, and get reliable gigabit speeds, so you've just proven his point.

Yeah im sure that'll work great for a phone or laptop without an ethernet port.

In real life though, your router and PC already has gigabit so they're $0.

Wifi is shit. In real life wifi is usually well bellow stated speed and it's always higher latency and less reliable.

>phone
Throw it in the trash where it belongs
>laptop without an ethernet port
Don't buy hardware with anti-features, that's just consumerist.

>phone
lol
>laptop
usb3 nic

this is not the mom's basement tech support board

What kind of dumb fuck buys a laptop without an ethernet port? Also even if you're phone can't use the adapter are you seriously going to be using it to transfer 1-5 GB files every day?

Attached: belkin-usbc-ethernet-adapter-100690310-large.jpg (700x467, 19K)

Fast WiFi is mostly just stupid bullshit to make normies drool. Second, how is moving 1 billion bits per second slow? It's not the fastest available, but honestly, get your head out of your ass.

what kind of dumb fucks honestly think ethernet is the solution in EVERY use case

There is a reason wifi is ubiquitous, and there is no reason we should stop getting faster wifi because a fucking cable can do the same thing.

No shit copper cables CAN do it, the whole god damn point is to allow wireless access.

>"no bro you don't understand it's all about going wireless and not dealing with the hassle of cables"
>stands right next to his wifi AP trying to prove a point that was dumb to begin with

What good is all this when you can only be 1 meter away from the router and you can't even get 1gbps if you're 1mm away from the router? Might as well use cable if you truly care about speed.

> Might as well use cable if you truly care about speed.

totally missing the whole point, but thanks for trying

maybe you should read the OP

What i'm not allowed to hold my own opinions?

If I post in a thread I MUST defend the OP or be completely opposite of it?

Fuck off

It's poorfags trying to rationalize their poorness

YOU CAN'T GET 1GBPS THROUGH WIFI YOU DUMB FUCKING BITCH.

>"buh-buh-buh you can get that speed literally cut in half as long as you stay in the same room as the wifi!"
>"don't go outside your room though else your speeds tank to 100mbps h-ha-ha"

Attached: 5E844632970F44D98AE159FBF72458C2.jpg (750x706, 117K)

you can get far more.

60ghz wifi can get you multiple gigabits.

based on your capitalization i think you're on a phone and would just like to let you know you're the cancer that ruined this board

Yeah you just have to stand 1nm away from it. HOW FUCKING CONVINIENT.

Attached: 802.jpg (500x680, 43K)

>moving the goalposts

unless phones suddenly got 4k screens.... i doubt it

Attached: 2019-04-05 23_15_08.jpg (3840x2160, 1.11M)

nah, it's literally how wireless VR headsets work.

And they're roomscale so at least 3-5 meters, if not a bit more.

>tfw ran ethernet throughout my house within the first couple months of moving in
>tfw still use WRT54g as WAP
this pic is out of date though. have more ports in use and went to a TP link switch since the netgear didn't pass Xbox system link broadcasts through

Attached: IMG_20170730_163259.jpg (1000x750, 218K)

>animeposter
You're right, you're practically clinically braindead.

Honesty the only time that GB does bottleneck is when I do multi terabyte transfers (12-14TB). between my servers. Which I've only done 2 times during the initial setup. (3 servers). Took 20+ hrs to copy almost 6TB from one server to an external USB 3 drive attached to my desktop. Server only had USB 2.0 ports so yeah.. would've sucked.

Anymore I just build a raid Z2 array and be done with it. No more fooling with backups or making sure everything is in sync. I've got my data backed up enough as it is. I figure it's cheaper to just buy a spare drive and keep it on hand in case of failure than it would be to roll out a 10GBE network from the ground up and less time consuming to; 3 - 4 days to do data replication over GB Ethernet v.s replacing a drive and letting it rebuild using the internal SATA II/III ports

>anime website

Yeah and they fucking blow, why do you think only the most soi of the sois even has it?

fuck off, it works just fine assuming there is line of sight

I've actually used it on several occasions, it's honestly just as good (or bad depending how you feel about VR on the whole) as normal VR headsets.

let's see that uname, cancerous weeb

Attached: image.png (784x16, 5K)

Linux is the anime OS, not Windows.

>you type properly, therefore you are wrong
>forget the fact that I'm out of arguments

>fuck off
Struck a nerve, I did? Suck my dick, will you? Also I've tried that piece of shit and it's about as enjoyable as trying to ride a bike after 3 shots of whiskey.

Attached: 46355300_1864608303666276_8215805656524692601_n.jpg (734x769, 72K)

Just don't block line of sight with anything but air. Even an empty cereal box will almost completely block it.

i've never heard anyone in my entire life who wasn't a tech illiterate dumbshit that liked wifi

This, now "wifi cable" is a thing now.

Attached: download.jpg (640x853, 66K)

Attached: liwr5EP.jpg (1944x2592, 1018K)

hivemind

I like wifi just fine, but I know and recognize that for many use cases ethernet(if available) is preferred. Im one of these crazy people who would rather have a solid 10/100 connection than AC wifi. However, that isnt always practical or sensible in a given situation. After living with Wifi on my TV, PS4 etc...I ran a cat6 to behind my TV and wired those connections. It was usable with wifi, but is much better hardwired. Many times it isnt the connection type but the interface card itself. My TV only has 10/100 ethernet but it beats the built in AC wifi all day becuase of the shitty way sony did the networking

I remember seeing some stuff about 2gig and 5gig ethernet, something faster than 1gig but not as expensive as 10gig.

5gig card
amazon.com/Aquantia-NIC-4-speed-Ethernet-Network/dp/B07BZ28BCW

Honestly though even IF you did have 10gbps ethernet or some hacked 720MHz 20x20 mu-mimo wifi abortion chances are you'd never be able to take advantage of the possible speed because:
A: you'll have a HDD which is limited to 120-150MB/s max
B: you'll have your OS and gaymes on an SSD and chink toons or other big data files on a HDD

Stop pretending like any of you would buy 4x2TB NVME drives and put them in RAID 0.

Attached: 1510356576676.jpg (540x540, 34K)

I seriously hope you don't give your TV internet access.

>But just getting 300-400mbps is pretty fucking easy and cheap.

Not the point the thread was trying to make. What you are saying is irrelevant and mute in the context of this thread

Same with

What in fuck sort of wifi are you getting more than 120 MB/s on? I'm using 802.11ac on the higher of the two 5 GHz bands, and I only get 50 MB/s.

Or are you mistaking total theoretical bandwidth across all clients with the actual speeds you see in the real world?

>Openwrt
>Ubiquiti
The state of Jow Forums....
Ubiquiti produces enterprise-grade equipment.

1Gbps is more than fast enough for almost every home and small business use. I'd bet most people average under 10Mbps over the day.
I transfer a lot of media over my network and haven't really found 1Gbps to be a problem.

It does exist for $125

Attached: MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4SIN-Switch.jpg (1351x900, 96K)

>I'd bet most people average under 10Mbps over the day.
You can average under 10 Mbps but still when you want that gigabyte file and want it now, speed still counts.

not on your gay ass phone, faglord

OpenWRT support some of their hardware. Open Source > proprietary. Next you'll tell me you use your ISP's router.

Actually, enterprise grade equipment usually includes quite a few more features than openwrt does.

he doesn't care, it's proprietary, not open source.

It could be 100 million times as good and the fact it's proprietary would be the end of the discussion for him

freetards are unironically cancer

>enterprise grade
Like "enterprise grade" encryption? That's worked out so well. Or like all the enterprise-grade Cisco vulnerabilities?
>unironically enjoying having software backdoors into your networking equipment

>pretending there are no hardware backdoors in his equipment

oh okay

Tell me how a 50ft USB cable works out for you.

Where did I imply phone? When you want to move a file to or from the NAS, you want it to happen fairly quickly, even if you don't transfer large amounts of data back and forth 24/7.

You are a fucking moron. Jesus christ.

that's the theoretical link speed for a 3x3 antenna (you prolly have a macbook pro), the actual speed is roughly 60% of that near the AP.

add the 8 sfp modules to the cost (disregard fiber and the nics) and you're at $300 at least, without poe.

My home lab server mobo has 10baseT built in :) was only 145 bucks.

user just buy some cheap second hand SFP cards for $25 and enjoy your 10Gbps speeds while you laugh at the normies.

you don't need fiber for 10g.

iperf and show results.

2x SSD on 6 gbit SATA would require 10 gbps ethernet to max out the SSD.

I just got 2gbps advertised internet last week. Was the same cost as other 1gbps offers.

Attached: IMG_20190406_194858.png (350x200, 18K)

>which is slower than Wi-Fi is now
Yeah good luck with those, theoretical speeds.
Show me your iperf of your Wifi beating your Gigabit.

you're gonna stick cat6 into those sfp my friend?

>Wifi
Fuck off normie.

>which is slower than Wi-Fi is now.
But that drops packets. Eww.

I've always wanted to build a 10Gbit LAN... The prices have come down a lot since 2010 and 10Gbit NICs are slowly appearing on more high end mobos.