Programming without knowing math

>programming without knowing math

Attached: 1554248968644.png (470x556, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2011/12/23/science/pigeons-can-learn-higher-math-as-well-as-monkeys-study-suggests.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Learn programming in 3 months with this simple trick!

What math? For most purposes knowledge of math is not required.

nice thread, animetard

>triggering brainlet koders 101
Ery tim

You guys are prime canidates for getting replaced by Pajeet.

Programming is a form of mathematics.

>programming without knowing math
Why don't you introduce us to her?

curry howard lambek

better pajeet than animetards

Mathematics is just a form of philosophy.

Coding yes
Programming no
You must learn math to program, but worry not just learn basic arithmetic, calculus and linear algebra concepts..
Everything else can be learned later when you really needs it.

>math
I believe you mean maths.

Attached: B43A40A5-2B0E-4011-8E8C-2A2DDAC11B0D.jpg (157x117, 3K)

Thank you kindly, sir.

Mathematics studies quantities, patterns, processes, spaces, etc.
Philosophy studies arguments, linguistic logic (stay triggered), qualities, experience, reality, etc.
They're two sides of the same coin, but they aren't the same.

You cannot have Mathematics without Philosophy.

Coding is far more mathematically intense than programming. "Coding" is when you organize, compress, and define information. Writing a script is still programming. Working with PHP is still programming.
You can tell if you're coding because what you're doing is en*coding* and de*coding* information. If you're not working with codecs you're not coding.

fuck math, fuck programming, fuck STEM, fuck liberal arts degree

Without discrere math you can't programming

programming = math without the abstraction layer

Yes you can.

print 'Hello World'

Explain where I needed knowledge of discrete math to write this program.

Of course you can. Even animals are able to count. Some researchers would have you believe animals can add, too.
nytimes.com/2011/12/23/science/pigeons-can-learn-higher-math-as-well-as-monkeys-study-suggests.html

When do the two meet in a practical or semi-practical forced sense? I'm half way through college algebra and am having trouble linking the two together.

I realize pre-calculus or calculus is what most CS or engineering majors start at, but I'm a frightened neanderthal.

Oh shit I just answered my own question.

You should know the basics of linear algebra and calculus if you're a programmer. Otherwise you're just a pajeet code monkey.

Counting is not mathematics. Mathematics involves rigor. If you don't know WHY 2+2 is equal to 4, you don't have the right to consider yourself a mathematician. And to understand that, you need to a deep understanding of philosophy.

Its not programming.
What exactly did you "program" in it?

>When do the two meet in a practical or semi-practical forced sense?
Computer science. P=NP or the Halting Problem are two common examples

When you do graphics, physics, or encryption, it becomes math heavy.

Neither of those involves calculus or linear algebra.

I programmed the computer to output 'Hello World'.

>still uses python 2

you're doubly wrong

>thinking that's Python

>graphics, physics,
Faggot shit.

Good thing I can't be replaced by pajeet.

Counting requires you to recognize ordinality, a mathematical concept.
Is a child doing mathematics when they're learning 2+2=4? Saying you're not doing REAL mathematics isn't an argument.
Neurologists would have you believe there are even regions of the brain dedicated to mathematical processing. Evolution takes a long time.

I think you only need to learn algorithms.

Calculus and linear algebra aren't mathematics.

>programs
>can't do a proof by induction

Attached: IMG_20190403_223243.jpg (678x593, 30K)

>Counting requires you to recognize ordinality, a mathematical concept.
Cardinality is only a concept in the context of set theory, founded in philosophy.
>Is a child doing mathematics when they're learning 2+2=4
No, they are repeating patterns that were taught to them.

Proof by induction is a basic philosophical concept anyone can learn in a couple of hours.

Well, that is a finite-state machine...

Get a job, Omar.

print('hello world').

>not using python 3 syntax

>thinking that I was using Python

Cardinality and ordinality are abilities we learned as toddlers, without philosophical knowledge.
Recognizing, and formalizing a definition of that ability doesn't necessarily mean you're creating the concept itself.

There's several languages where print 'hello world' is the correct way to do it. Also several where print('hello world') is the answer. Lua falls into both camps, for example.

Thanks for proving my point that you don't need a formal understanding of mathematics to do programming.

That's true. We also start learning mathematics long before we learn anything about philosophy.

>programmin without nowin da alphabets

Attached: 1545919546362.png (300x198, 107K)

You better know math.

Damn, so is just really salty CS Majors bitching about discrete?

pls excuse my deer ant sally

Attached: 1554261664162.jpg (1819x1786, 507K)

>programming without knowing core business principles
Remind me who's paying your shitty pointless research in functional programming again?

Attached: __yorigami_jo_on_touhou_drawn_by_piyokichi__30dad2947a992bcd98670de3f1601e0c.jpg (837x622, 556K)

Retarded boomers in suits xd.

>Need to do CA based simulation of gas dispersion
>Oops need maths for that
>Do numerical modelling of spontaneous biomass combustion
>Need something to go over building plans to find optimal bookshelf-door sizes
>Determine the colour of light going through stained glass windows with certain molecules suspended in the glass based on found values in linear optics
>Oops need maths for that as well!

UE Blueprint demonstrates that programming doesn't have to be an esoteric text with magic syntax.

Also i literally never memorized the alphabet in order or months of the year, and I'm doing fine im Aerospce.
Why the fuck ever memorize trivia that you xan look up any time?
Its the same as being an autist who's proud to remembr the fourth digit of Pi while i use 3.14 most of the time for real engineering work.

cringe

>i use 3.14 most of the time for real engineering work.
instead of using the built-in pi constant? what are you doing?

*avoids taxes for funding research*
n-nothing p-p-personnel, onii chan!

Attached: __yorigami_jo_on_touhou_drawn_by_oshiaki__d5f796a2c7906736aaa28be110c8fd98.png (1094x1448, 1.96M)

that's simple arithmetic brainlet

So, can animals program?

How many programmers are in the world? How many of them "need" to do those tasks?

The difference is sub - meaningful anyways and rounds down if you get pedantic about rounding.

>The difference is sub - meaningful
if you are fucking typing 3.14 instead of Pi which I'm pretty sure is a constant in any language especially ones you'd use for engineering you're an awful programmer

>doesn't know the alphabet or the months of the year

nice bait

The most math an engineer really needs is comprehension of integrals, derivatives, divergences and visual imagination to figure out the tendencies like
>Positive value detivative declines to zero, dets negative
>Thats the peak of the function

That will enable you to understand physics and gas dynamics formulas and apply them.
And you don't really have to be able to solve a third integral of a fuckoff function on paper anyways, computers would do that for you.

However the comprehension of what those are is necessary to understand physics, a practical skill of solving - not.

>Encounter a numerical date
>Count months in my head to figure out that 06 is June.
Yep i literally did tgat my entire life.
Counting to 12 isn't hard anyways.

As for alphabetic order I remember ir very loosely but i literally never had to.

>Also i literally never memorized the alphabet in order or months of the year, and I'm doing fine im Aerospce.

That explains the Boeing plane crashes

Engineers are brainlets though, you should be aiming higher than that.

I'm not a programmer at all, I'm a turbojet design engineer providing supervision to msnifacturing.
>Oh shit we drilled a hole 0.3 off center what do?
>Drill both holes a bit larger and fit with a larger bolt.
>Oh shit we machined a shaft 0.2 too thin
>Apply 0.07 chrome coating and that would ensure minimal viable bearing fitting
>Oh shit our engine stator is our of tolerance
>Apply thicker insulating coating and it will do once it hits maintenance it would fit maintenance tolerances since thise are bigger.

The funniest thing i did was personally drawing a one of a kind pin with different dimeters and instructing them to use it.

They fucked up an important precision hole in a very expensive part and I gave the a drawing of a pin that fits one side into 5mm and another into 6 mm with correct tolerances, I'm not even kidding.

That shit is flying somewhere right now.

>college algebra

This is that American shit where they teach you high school math in university, and not actually learning about groups rings and fields like you'd expect, right?

You're fucking scaring me.

durr durr

Groups, rings and fields are covered in highschool if you go to a decent school in a decent country though.

/sci/high?
>tfw Lang is a meme

>not programming with quantum integral-dirvative helio-postic shit centric-cucktwirling equations with a phd in physics

Ok, thx for the math lesson

That was literally called university math when I went to high school.

>doing math without knowing programming

what

Attached: 1551849127162.png (292x292, 113K)

I went to a school which consistently ranks in the top 5 for K-12 in Belgium, it was taught in the top mathematics class in 12th grade.

While well-known type designers, such as Hermann Zapf, have collaborated with Knuth to create new fonts using Metafont, the system has not been widely adopted by professional type designers. Knuth attributes this to the fact that "asking an artist to become enough of a mathematician to understand how to write a font with 60 parameters is too much."

assmad retard

based, possibly christ himself

>Engineers are brainlets
i never get tired of this meme. whatever helps sciencefags sleep at night . lol

If you want to be a real programmer, you need to know math. A lot of math.
I you want to make stupid games and shitty Android apps, get a udemy account and move to India.

People who can't math can't possibly be programmers. They can be coders at most, people who just enter dumb lines into an editor without thinking. How would you ever be able to develop a time and space efficient algo when you are too dumb to math. It's basically the same thing. It's really sad that there are so many "coders" today who are proud of being brainlets.
The absolute state of software.

To be fair, even mathematicians have to constantly ask Knuth for help with the tools he has developed.

>programming fragment shaders without remembering anything from high school math

Attached: 1551049455446.jpg (692x610, 56K)

I tutor them for a living, your average engineer is an abject retard who has issues understanding the basics of multivariable calculus or linear algebra, and they have even more issues once they hit PDEs. They're brainlets. You should aim to be better than that, to have more knowledge than that.

>knowing math without programming

Attached: c7w1ed1-1.jpg (182x166, 37K)

>anyone who don't have the same skills as me is dumb

>Things that were never said: the post
They're not dumb for not knowing it, they're dumb for how many issues they have grasping the concepts even when you tailor the tutoring to their specific learning style.

CS and mathematics student here.
You don't need maths for most programming.

Everyone knows this guy is right, yet they will sperg and screech to look smarter.
t. math major, programmed professionally for over 5 years.

Math is for computers. My job is logic.

Math is essentual for designing algorithms, solving problems and analyzing complexity.
But when it comes to actually writing code, you really don't need it. Hell, I think being a good writer is more beneficial in that regard than being good at math.

shitty bait

sue me :)

>do 3D modelling of underground geology
>need linear algebra skills and an understanding of what is a rock

>Also i literally never memorized the alphabet in order or months of the year

Kek this is the worst bait I've ever read. You couldn't post on Jow Forums if you hadn't memorised the alphabet.