Proprietary software: source code you can't see

>proprietary software: source code you can't see
>open source software: source code you can see, but don't

Attached: 33979c402223dd81124f4bd49d263b4a.jpg (500x483, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mDVBDOaPGtE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>free software: lmao

Nothing to hide nothing to fear

>implying open source is the opposite of propritary
that is free software tho.
I will only use proprietary if I can see the source, or if others have done it for me.
Nowadays everything has some hidden pay model, instead of a clear one like pay x for software.

>or if others have done it for me.
all source code has been seen by a person somewhere, it didn't write itself

If it's open source, it's open domain. Nobody is suing you for using it in your projects.
>others have done it for me
That's my thesis, that's how you become vulnerable and dependent on others by trusting them.

your point?
do you conduct your own experiments to conclude that global warming is real?
no, we trust the consensus of the experts
non-free doesnt even allow that

>trusting the consensus of the experts
>thinking a scientist can be an expert

There are two types of people who write open source: amateurs and professionals.
I don't trust amateurs who don't have their hide on it and I don't trust professionals who're in cahoots with bad actors.

>some butthurt communist who thinks all software should be free is an "expert"

>but don't
>implying
If I have concerns about anything an open-source package seems to be doing on my computer, I can find out the exact details of what that thing is, and have it stop doing that without having to throw the baby out with the bath water. this is something I've unironically done a handful of times before.

if somebody open sauces their project, it allows the program to be audited by trusted parties and by the people who contribute to it (hobbyists or people trying to get something to put on their resume).
Malicious code is often found in projects by the people who contribute, and as a result the creator can be judged by the users accordingly to the severity of the issue. If the issue doesn't get resolved or the creator keeps sneaking it back in, the project is forked without the creator, and the cycle continues
see chromium and degoogled-chromium
see adblock, adblockplus, ublock and ublock-origin
see firefox, waterfox and gnu icecat

Give me exactly 2 reasons I'd trust NEETs.
>degoogled
Months behind security updates.
>adblock(plus), ublock
Bought by companies
>firefox
Cucked, inauditable browser written in 50 languages.

>Give me exactly 2 reasons I'd trust NEETs.
Not him but:
>1) you don't have to, if you have any concerns you can just address them yourself, closed source doesn't let you do the same
>2) no second reason necessary

>yourself
Yyyyeah I'm not doing that. And neither is almost everyone else.

>if you have any concerns you can just address them yourself
most people are way too dumb and inexperienced to audit software themselves

let me explain it because you didnt read my post
i dont know the facts on the adblock shit, but i know adblockplus is proprietary and ublock had issues. these projects or their parent projects got forked for those reasons, im not recommending them - using as a point of reference.
degoogled chromium is good if a site says it requires chrome and has malicious code put in by google taken out.
i didnt recommend firefox. i was saying that firefox was forked into other browsers (waterfox, icecat) because people were unhappy with issues it had (these are telemetry, and non-free components).
have you never seen a "see also" section on wikipedia? don't be a braindead mutt.

Sounds like cope.
>Guys great idea, let's copycat original works but only make them worse
Open source is made, used, and advocated by imbeciles.

>dumb and inexperienced

Attached: 1459239762488.jpg (723x691, 99K)

nothing wrong with being dumb and inexperienced, it's when you start pretending to be smarter than you are that it becomes a problem

>free software

Attached: 1554173297213.jpg (823x744, 109K)

The freedom in foss is important in case the project you are depending on, which needs regular updates to function as you need it, slows down in progress or the devs make bad choices or they stop working on it all together. If it's free software other people can fork it and develop a new better branch that satisfies your needs. That's just not going to happen with non free software.

>not going to happen
You're right, the slow, dying business will get overtaken or bought by a competitor so you just use their product instead.

>thinking a scientist can be an expert
new level of stupid

some projects are too large to fully scan.
it's better to just accept that.
that also means that it's better to use software that's audited by a large group of people and possibly a company, than it is to use software that can only be cgecked by said company.

you are retarded if you don't read through curl scripts though.

nice bait
you know developers can ruin their own projects, right?

That's irrelevant when NDAs exist.

When a neet is working on a project and he sees malicious code, he won't git pull and test that code. Instead, he will refuse to accept that work into the project so he himself doesn't get hacked. it would be suicide to accept malicious code into your project.

ICECAT HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED IN 4 MONTHS U GAYLORDS
DOWNLOAD FIREFOX AND HARDEN ITYOURSELVES NEWFAGGGGGGGOTS

The point of FOSS isn't so you can audit the code, it's so you can modify the code if you need bugfixes or features.

Try filing a bug to Microsoft and seeing how long it takes before it gets closed wontfix (by the way, you'll have to pay $200 just for the privilege of filing a bug).

Give me all your ID information and bank account login credentials.
I promise I'm not malevolent and I just want to check what you've been doing. It's ok, since you've got nothing to fear.

>calls out bait
>proceeds to bite the bait anyway

Sure it's on my pc come and take it

post it here. you have nothing to hide right?

I'm not hiding it, it's on my desktop, come take it

I don't get it. You don't mind giving your personal info and bank credentials to gazillions of corporations, but you're afraid to post them here?

Fuck open source. Why would I - get this - WILLINGLY give YOU (yes, you) the right to mess with MY code? LMAO, I'm not a fucking idiot.

First off, my code is better than 99.9% garbage produced by meme programmers. Why would I let your shit style and shit logic taint my otherwise angelic code?

Secondly, how the FUCK do you expect me to make money if I open source shit? Even if I offer it for cheap, some asshole will just take it and offer it for free instead. Do you want me to live on donations or what? You sick fucks.

And lastly, a program is a product. When you buy a boat, do you fucking alter the way it works? When you purchase a toaster, do you change the way it fucking operates? Do you even care? Why are you autistic about source being closed? Are you so fucking paranoid? You think my code is spying on you? LMAO, as if it's fucking hard to disprove that. Disassembly exists. Packet sniffers exist. Antivirus software exists. And it's not like open source software can't contain viruses, and how would you know anyway, you NEVER check the fucking source code anyway.

tl;dr Open source fags can suck my balls, you're all a bunch of hypocrites. And your beards probably contain pieces of pasta you ate yesterday so what the fuck does your opinion matter.

Attached: open source designers.jpg (359x301, 22K)

Sure, now pass it onto us the same way you do when you input it on closed-source software.
Are you trying to hide something?

>You think my code is spying on you?
Yes

Because they do all the work and I don't mind it. They also have to follow strict regulations regarding my privacy. I don't think you're such an entity.

Have you ever actually read those regulations?

>I only use precompiled binaries
Fedora, Guix, Fdroid, etc. have up to date Icecats in their repositories because you can use Icecat patches on current ESR

Proof carrying code: you don't need the source code or to manually verify anything for assurance of security and correctness.

>They also have to follow strict regulations regarding my privacy.

Attached: 1509631023761.png (466x492, 187K)

youtube.com/watch?v=mDVBDOaPGtE