Why do so many of you seemingly hate python?

Why do so many of you seemingly hate python?

Attached: python-programming-language-vector-11282554.jpg (1000x1080, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

panda3d.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

too mainstream

Yet C++ and C# are fine?

real men use C

Orders of magnitude slower
"pythonistas"
"pythonic"
No encapsulation
Gimped lambdas

Attached: 1546045100464.webm (640x358, 1.91M)

Baby's first programming language.

>Why do so many of you seemingly hate python?
It's good for quick hacky things, but:
No semi colons
Can't compress code
Can't directly access ram
Too simple, to the point where it isn't programming anynore
Super inefficient
Etc...

Don't learn this first, I said it before and I will keep saying, learning programming it's like learning to drive :

Assembly,C,C++ = manual car
C#, Java, jScript (raw not meme libraries ) = automatic
Python = self driving car

Imagine going from self driving to manual because your AI can't go through a part of the city, you will crash... Learn c++/c firstly.

TOO SLOW

It's not bad, just misused
Fine for scripting but brainlets use it for everything because it's easy even though it's slow

>Jscript = automatic
>Python = self driving

JavaScript is that wheel where it fucks you in the ass and mouth and you have to jerk it off with both hands to steer from South Park.

good post

real men use assembly, faggot

Multithreading is a lie and nobody told me.

it's so slow

>Why do so many of you seemingly hate python?

Not statically typed
"Low barrier to entry" combined with no static typing teaches or enables bad practices. Most "python programmers" are fucking awful. (I work with a bunch of non-developers who are "coders" cos they write python. Trust me they can't write code for shit.
Stupid packaging / import system
Horrible unintuitive object oriented support
No private member variables, magic methods and functions everywhere with dumb names like `len(` or `__name__`

Python is for people who are intimidated and scared by programming but want to feel like "coders"
You can make some unholy messes of programs in it
Also its popular, obviously.

I started with Python and had a good time. But it left me with massive holes in my knowledge. I decided to focus my energy on C - at first - so I could write my own C libraries and port them to python. The first time I did this I made a factorial python module in C and tried running factorial(20) ten million times. This took vanilla python ages - it took C about one second. After doing this I thought less of python. The truth is python is a fine language, but you should probably know C if you want to get serious. And then learn C++ once you've earned your stripes.

I'm a rookie programmer but when i tried to webscrape using c# it took MUCH longer than with scrapy?

Is scrapy really good or c# really bad?

Underated

>It's not real programming
>People who use it suck

Is there a bigger cope than this? Imagine having a superiority complex over programming languages.

Not him, but it's true that it's not real programming.

It's not a superiority complex if someone doesn't a like a language because it's not suited to their use case.

Python is fine for simple scripting or gentle introduction to coding for people who know nothing about programming.

It's even okay for some quick data science analysis, it's sure better than matlab.

It's not a serious professional language for software engineering though.

>b-but AI! Machine learning!

Why exactly is it not "real programming" ?

I don't know any language atm, and I am looking to get into one. My end-game (two decades from now) would be electrical engineer in energetics (alternative, fusion or fission ideally).

>b.but AI! Machine learning!

for the people who use this as an argument, can't it be also done in some C language? Why is python on the forefront of those? (seemingly)

Because its not a prpgramming language

this desu

feels like some anons are just jealous that non it chads can get as productive as them

Attached: 1554478659576.jpg (569x760, 46K)

It makes Jow Forums seethe with rage because it's easy to make a working program with Python, thus destroying their snowflake fantasy that programming is some sort of big brain activity.

C and UNIX braindamage have doomed computing for 50 years.

nother person that hasn't used it

This post reeks of AT&T/Bell Labs computer science history revisionism that it's painful to read.

i dunno why ppl don't like the __name__ s
you get used to them , you just assume they are there. v comfy

I know this is bait but I'll bite:

People who think this shit in real life are insufferable faggots who have 0 concept of how much abstraction there already is between them programming in "real" languages bare metal. The amount of abstraction that's achieved by going from logic gates to C is fucking astronomical, and you could probably never achieve writing a C compiler from bare metal in your entire life if it weren't for the work of hundreds of years of mathematicians working all this shit out for you. Comparatively, the jump from C to Python is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. Sure it might abstract away a few data structures and make things nicer to use, but it's nothing compared to carefully organizing bits of sand together in such a way that they perform actual computation.

Computer science and abstraction are tied together at the hip. Losers who can't understand that the continuous abstraction of mathematics is the very essence of computing are the most obnoxious fucking faggots in the world. The losers who can't understand that it's actually harder to think abstractly are the funniest of them all. Sure you can do the equivalent of hand-holding a modern abacus. You're not accomplishing anything by reinventing the wheel for the thousandth time, you're just doing it because someone needs some retarded shit to be fast, but you're not furthering the field of computer-science. You're not developing new fucking algorithms in C, you're implementing something that someone (far smarter than you) has already thought of in a slightly different flavor just so you can get a paycheck.

it's used everywhere for science/data science
it is the default language now

Define "real programming".

idiot

Python is only popular because of the libraries written for it.

It makes me think, maybe there should be some kind of universal way to run code in any language, like microservices but for any program? and just interface with other languages without much overhead

virtualenv, pip, and the rest of the entire ecosystem of python tooling is just utter garbage.

distro maintainers made things worse by writing their tools in it. this is why we're stuck with python 2.7 on RHEL in 2019.

And what's wrong with that? Unless you are a Code monkey autist, who gives a shit. As a mech engineer whose profession isn't coding, I find python easy to learn and use, it's almost like a scientific calculator. Fuck pretentious faggots who think harder syntax and 40 year old concepts are somehow better because. The computer should do the work for you, not the other way around. Stay mad.

I know people that program in python and do not know the following :

- What ram is
- How ram works
- The types of variables
- The amount of bits different variable types take up
- How to optimize a program
- memory vs CPU usage
- Functional vs OOP
- etc...

I can just keep on going and not stop. I am not saying you should build everything from 0, I am saying that you should use each language where it is strong. Use python for automating your server restarts and what not, not C++... But don't even dare use python in game-developement.

There are different situations for different languages, I use electron.js to make simple programs for a company I work for.
I use C++ when they need to access remote files with wxWidgets, becausae it's faster to make their "special" calculator "apps" that they want in nodeJS electron rather than in C++, I write C++ code when performance is critical.
I am not saying you should use C++ daily for everything ffsake.

Attached: Jesus.jpg (450x450, 28K)

Also, I use python for web-scraping comics, podcasts, whatever I need. I won't write that shit in C++, EVER in my life. I was just shitting how I know so many people that think they are the best programmers, but don't know what a fucking integer is for crying out loud.

Situations define languages.

>It's not a serious professional language for software engineering though.
OK? Not everyone is a professional software engineer, some people just literally want to get shit done. It's really like the manual vs automatic shift in cars. At the end of the day, I want to go from point A to B without too much hassle.

T. European who drives manual but hates it

>I'm not a programmer
>I think everything that is not Python is C
>I think my opinion has any value

Do you know how many people are driving cars who don't know
>how they work
>how to change a tyre
>what differential gears are
>what the Carnot cycle is
>how rubber is made
>...
I could go on for hours. Yet hundreds of millions of people like these drive cars every day. I know so many people who think they are great drivers yet they're completely unaware of anything that goes on under the hood.

I've never written a line of python but I know to hate it anyways.
Because of how I've never used anything written in python without having things break on something completely idiotic like package dependencies being listed in the wrong order or an update to the language breaking old scripts.

no backwards compability
literally fucked millions of projects

Here we go again

significant whitespace LOL fuck off
dynamic typing (no, py3.5 type hints aren't static typing)
absolute idiocy of letting boomers have their way by supporting py2 instead of making people just upgrade to python3, now py3 is half wrappers to py2 libraries because it's easier to manage
slow as all shit, even javascript is miles faster
incredibly abstract, often concealing what's happening by making expensive operations look simple ('if x in y') resulting in 'python programmers' being absolute fucking brainlets who have no idea how to actually program and only to use python's syntax sugar to get shit done
"hey time to run this python script, let's figure out which version it's made for..."
`lambda:`
`elif`

i hope this shitty meme language dies.
this

real men have a job. that being said, c + assembly.

Attached: dindins.gif (473x266, 2.76M)

Python is a script. This means you can use only those commands which are in the script engine.
Python features a dynamic type system. So in Python it's hard to know which variable, parameter, return value has what type.

i find it to be ugly

Succes breeds jealousy

>dynamic typing
Why is that a bad thing?

People who don't know that hardware designed to run C fucked over efficient dynamically typed languages think that static typing is the only way to have software run fast.

people here hate being employable and useful

>Function has a return.
>It's not clear how this return is being generated.
>Only hint of what's inside the return is the variable name
>Return also varies according to the input, just so it breaks your code in a scenario you didn't even know it was possible

>Python is a script. This means you can use only those commands which are in the script engine.
what
did you accidentally stumble here from your minecraft-mods forum or something

Attached: dinosaur.jpg (682x682, 65K)

>No semi colons
imagine actually thinking semicolons to terminate lines are preferable over continuation characters to extend lines

shitty language for students

you're not supposed to use that disgrace of a language in production

yes, dynamic typing is, and always will be slower. you could avoid many problems just by having a good type system, look at haskell for example.

it feels so wrong coding in python
like its coding dumb down for brainlets, its literally a psuedo code

using formatting as syntax is fucking retarded

How DO you optimize a program

Its hard to compile and optimize dynamically typed programs

Fast cpus exist, it doesn't really matter anymore. That's why Terry Davis fucked up, spent too much time on "efficiency" when he could've written an awesome OS in python

congrats! you're fucking retarded

only valid complaint in this thread so far

I love python. I picked it up during my senior year of college to make getting data from the web easier. It works great for my research now in grad school.

I study economics not computer science, so I don't really care about "production level" code. If I create a model it doesn't really matter if it takes 30 seconds to run vs 3 seconds.

My knowledge got me a pretty cool data analysis job right out of college and I make almost as much as my friends who actually studied software engineering.

I picked up some R recently through my course work and I think it's pretty similar to python.

My professor who is getting me a data science internship at the end of the semester said that I am not supposed to worry about performance, because that is what the engineers are for.

So why do all of you hate python?

>t. seething commodore 64 fag cant into python

>t.

>lambdas
fuck you and your buzzwords, we did just fine without lambdas for years

Attached: 1552946800556.gif (355x200, 2.66M)

Why do you think there are car crashes? There are people who bribe their way through, or don't bother to learn that you need to change oil, so their car breaks and kills everyone...

Depends on the situation? I am not going to iterate through a list 50000 times, I am going to store shit in a variable like "Highest" "lowest" or whatever is needed. Basics like these, people who learn only python don't know until waaaaay too late.

Attached: Angery.png (255x264, 147K)

We‘re discussing mechanics and automotive engineers in your analaogy, brainlet, not drivers. Nobody sane says biochemistry researchers and mathematicians would be better off learning cpp template metaprogramming instead of just using Python with all its shittiness.

>Orders of magnitude slower
most people just use it as a wrapper for libraries written in C, so this doesn't really apply.

>So why do all of you hate python?
I assume they are the engineers kek

Attached: 1530222026987.gif (320x240, 1016K)

the truth is that there are very few applications anymore that really *must* be written in low-level code.
development time is most often what's being optimized for these days, and interpreted language with fast libraries are simply the most productive way to build software.
C++ is an order of magnitude less productive than python. i can hammer out something in python in about 1/5 the time it takes to do it in a proper compiled language.

the world is now full of buttmad C++ jocks who can't get their head around the fact that most of them are obsolete.

this tho

Attached: a.jpg (761x715, 62K)

Aspergic Jow Forums contrarianism

I don't hate Python, but I do strongly dislike its overall syntax

Real men write and read machine code without any instruction.

Attached: linus-small-w.jpg (1700x1000, 84K)

I wanna see you develop a game in python.

Attached: OMAGOD.jpg (179x282, 8K)

Are you 12? Who gives a shit about games.

If you think something is for kids just because you don't like it you have no right to an opinion

Do you have your ticket to Avengers Endgame yet?

> Being this autistic

Attached: 1553198450957.png (866x900, 95K)

> Tfw kids are overtaking Jow Forums
> tfw kids on Jow Forums care only about gaymez
> tfw you're an intelectual that does nothing but work, you never enjoy anything ( movies/games/dates/etc.. )

I am actually going to go just because of you, taking my date there.

Attached: Dn1udwmW0AAwa7G.jpg (764x551, 124K)

most games are written (partly) in python, dumbass.
sure, you couldn't develop a game engine with it, but most studios aren't building a new engine for every game.

cause i can write 20 lines of code to remove all the the äåö from a 1.4MB text file, instead of my colleague sifting threw it manually.

> Most games are written ( partly ) in python
1 example? That isn't 2D at least, and needs at the very least hardware newer than 1995?

>ctrl+f in any text editor
>replace
Wow that was hard

This is the kind of thing python is meant to do. I think we can all agree that this is where python is 100% superior

Sometimes you need regex replacement, yeah you can do it in vs code, but sometimes it needs to automatically filter every x amount of time.

anything built with panda3d.org/
i know Disney has used it for a few kids' games

also know that Unreal engine 4 uses python as a scripting language

That's a fair argument, but my point is that you won't see any demanding games built on python because of the lack of optimization. Python is still just a scripting language.

What I like about python is that you don't have to reinvent the wheel everytime you wanna do something.
Have an idea? Python is the perfect playground to prototype it.
Used in conjunction with C for critical segments, python is pretty powerful.

Using iterative algorithms instead of recursive ones, using the appropriate data structures for what you need to do, using the most efficient algorithms for a certain task, using the most efficient programming language when you can

>Who gives a shit about games.
Businesses that generate profits by developing and selling games.

> Why is python on the forefront of those?
Because it's easier for mathematicians who don't know how to program

It turns out that when your problem domain isn't computers, all the shit a programming language has for interacting with a computer efficiently end up being in the way, distracting, limiting and painful.

untrue
people here know nothing about python

This only happens on Jow Forums. There's a reason why Python is one of the most popular languages and is the default starter language for many CS classes now.

Jow Forums is full of people who are angry and Jow Forums is not representative of the real world. Please understand this basic concept and stop making threads like this

>you won't see any demanding games built on python
you're completely missing my point.
tons of demanding games have python in their codebase, it's just not used for the performance-intensive pieces.
it's like saying "i want a brick house because bricks are stronger"... that's a fair point, but you're not going to have (for example) brick floors, because brick is a bad material for flooring.
modern games are complex pieces of software, with pieces written in a variety of languages. python is very often part of that toolbox.