/wdg/ - Web Development General

Weekend Dead Thread Edition

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: 1554331999574[1].jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.Jow
stackoverflow.com/a/51245326
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.aspnetcore.http.iresponsecookies?view=aspnetcore-2.2
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/mvc/controllers/filters?view=aspnetcore-2.2
keen-tereshkova-3d9f24.netlify.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any recommendations on how to improve this for small screens?

Attached: a.png (2110x1152, 166K)

chrome has a responsive mode.

why don't you try it?

is a salted SHA1 session token strong enough to prevent a birthday attack against users who are logged in indefinitely? poking around some sites it seems like they use a 64+bit user ID appended to a SHA1. overkill or better safe than sorry?

sorry am newb and bored

>birthday attack
I am shit tier what is a birthday attack?

Its about fucking time.

I plan on making a portfolio page but github pages is too limiting/restrictive. What alternatives for webhosting would you guys recommend.

netlify and heroku let you basicly import a github repo and launch

Neato.

use xampp and host your own website, you might need to buy a domain name
this is noob advice but it will work, won't be secure though unless you know what you're doing

I'll go with what suggested. Its safer and easier.

So i've been playing around with JS animations/games.

I want to strictly control the animation speed and came across setInterval as a way to do it. Seems like a good solution.

However, I'd like a way to separate the execution of the function to draw onto the canvas, from the function that updates the game data(eg coordinates). So they execute independently but access the same data (draw with read access and update with read/write). That would be ideal wouldn't it? I guess that's parallel processing?

I wanna build a site using Java Spring and React. I'm starting to learn React, and have lots of experience in Spring.

I think I read that React can run its own service to serve files. How should I set up the stack? Users go through an nginx and it pipes them to the react or spring service? Compile react into static files that are then served by nginx? Or use React's Service and pipe the Java Spring service through React?

Attached: Untitled Diagram.png (692x336, 19K)

decided to use timestamp to limit updating and not drawing

What's a good registrar? I'm leaning towards name.com to host my .moe domain.

I've heard NameSilo is solid

hello I'm a new webdev is there any way to have complete anonymity when hosting websites? I know prq accepts bitcoin for both domain and hosting but is there any alternatives?

SHA1 is not recommended anymore. Use SHA2

>Hey guys help doing this in JS pls?
>JUST USE THIS PACKAGE MAN ITS EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT XD

Has NPM Ruined webdev?

Attached: 1541682080341.jpg (1894x1066, 611K)

A bit.

Gandi is good in my experience. NameCheap is also recommended often.

Nonono, not namecheap.
They are lying to customers about letsencrypt not creating "real" certs so they can sell their own.

I'm a neet dropout from college, that is learning frontend. I already know stuff like html/css, some vanilla js so that i can build some basic webapps using apis etc.

Problem is, i don't have any neetbux to get by, and soon i'm going to starve. Currently looking for a 1stline suport/helpdesk job because i heard they are easies in it to get. But i might consider build websites using CMS to get a bit of experience working with clients or professionaly in general, and maybe some experience in building websites.
How long should it take me to get to know WP to get any entry/intern level job, and would it be worth it, or is it better to ditch it all and flip burgers till i get my first job with JS?

Attached: download.jpg (474x293, 16K)

Do people still use WordPress in 2019

Usually not a good idea to use setInterval for animations.
Using requestAnimationFrame() makes more sense for that. Then in the callback you can vary the animation values.

MAAD Stack
MariaDB
Arch Linux
Apache
Django
Sound good for making an imageboard?

The process for installing on of """their""" certs is annoying as fuck. It goes through some 1990s looking website that emails you stuff to do. It took me several hours.

Once I learned about certbot it took only 10 minutes or so and most of that was creating the challenge file.

>Arch linux
Worst idea I've seen.
Use Ubuntu or CentOS

Explain

Distros and Apache/Nginx shouldn't be considered part of a stack.
>inb4 LAMP/LEMP
yeah, that's dumb as well

What's the UI/frontend part of your stack then. Or is it just templates in Django?

I guess its HTML, CSS, JS, and React. Im gonna make the whole site from scratch.

I am building a google maps api app, and I am now working on a filter function.
I have a question related to PHP / Javascript mostly.

On my index page I have

$allData = $edu->getAllPlaces();
$allData = json_encode($allData, true);
echo '' . $allData . '';

In order to filter the places, I change the function to:

$allData = $edu->filterPlaces();

What I need is an if else statement , depending on whether there is a filter request or not. Default should show all, and then on a input form submission, I want $allData to be changed to $edu->filterPlaces();

At the moment, I have tried using
if (isset($_POST["filterSubmit"]) && !empty($_POST["filterSubmit"]))
{ // change the variable }
else
{ // nothing }

But this did not seem to work. It might be because my form action="php_filter.php" , it goes to a different page, where the isset thing works. Can isset be used again on the index page for the same form submission?

i have learned the basics of html and css, gonna start js. what steps should i take next?

uh, learn JS and make a site to practice what you are learning?
Once you got the basics of JS, DOM manipulation and how Promises/Async work, give React or Vue a try.

Can someone give me a push? Just ... I need to studdy today and do fucloads of homework ;_;

Attached: 1550512432335.jpg (544x841, 48K)

> Arch Linux
Why using Arch Linux as a server distro ?
It wasn't made for that purpose in the first place, you should use CentOS or Debian stable instead.

The rest of your stack is well-chosen tho :)

There are still some pajeet "Wordpress Developer" on upwork.

Let me help you with memeing your stack to the max
PostgreSQL/mongoDB
Debian/CentOS
Ngnix
.NET/GO

Attached: 1550436457907.jpg (825x959, 69K)

Except for MongoDB and Go which are meme technologies (both hard to use and uncessary complicated), this is a decent stack

Attached: 9d840c8f8fcd9a09b23cf8638373fadd.jpg (750x750, 111K)

Curated off the best /wdg/ memes.

Am I even going to have chance of getting an image board up? I did some research and it looks like $1000 per month to handle the same traffic as Jow Forums with a host. And it has to be in Sweden since most hosts dont allow copyrighted content.
Or I could host it myself but I would need thousands for racks, cpus, and hardrives, as well as paying for business internet to get a proper transfer rate.
Please tell me if im wrong, but if im right whats the alternative?

i have a shit static site for my resume, purely basic html and css. what should i use to take it up a notch to be more robust to different screen sizes, mobile, etc?

Yes/No can be achieved with a HTML checkbox.

media queries if you wanna lrn how it's done, bootstrap if you want someone else to do it for you

> 1000$/month
Probably true, but you need a reality check user, you'll never have to handle the same traffic as Jow Forums.
For what you want to do, a small VPS will probably be enough.

"It's easier to handle one million requests per second than having one million user"
Programming wisdom

Attached: f629784ef7dcbe3415ccae6164445bb6.jpg (1080x1350, 151K)

>I did some research and it looks like $1000 per month to handle the same traffic as Jow Forums
It's way more than that. You think Jow Forums costs only 1k a month to operate?

What are you even concerned about?
There is no way you are getting even remotely close to that amount of traffic.

Use something like Semantic UI or Bootstrap

Attached: 8d6bb526b3995a54173fee903e221faa.jpg (700x960, 80K)

bump

Promises being eager are fucking everything up. And AWS is too fast. I'm hitting the 1000 TPS limit on a third party API like it's nothing. I've had issues with services running too slow but this time it's running too fast. Help.

Ok so what web host do I use? Every single one says no copyrighted content. Which means an imageboard is instantly screwed, nevermind the other illegal shit people would upload.

My brainlet guess would be to host it on some cyber paradise, my brainlet intuition says Russia, but I have no clue really, there must be such a thing as cyber paradise where you can even host CP and shit like that.

stop being a bitch. you need discipline to achieve your goals

dooood you are 62 iq. here is what you do:
rent a dedicated server from hetzner
put the site behind cloudflare
you can host Jow Forums on like $150/month
do pay for "web hosting" like a wordpress retard would do

as for copyright, you host from the usa. you dont have liability of your users for anything except assisting in sex trafficing. if someone posts copyright content, you do nothing unless you recieve a dmca request, then you remove it.

Keep dreaming nigga. Your image host will die before it gets 100 users/day. Setting up a site is easy. Getting an audience is hard.

I know, I only got discipline when I'm at work, not at home. At least I've finished 1 our of 4 exercices.

Your estimates are off

blog.Jow Forums.org/post/152411853897/Jow Forums-bandwidth-was-3pb-last-month-Jow Forums-doesnt

Also this. You need to build up a network of people from popular sites in your niche.

They will CARRY you if they like you and your work compliments theirs instead of competes with it.

Awardspace gives out free 1gb space

Give me an idea for a website
I'm thinking a sound board board where you upload sound instead of images

Someone please help me. I've a project in one of my CS classes, I was orginally working on Python and testing, but my group leader has decided to switch me to front-end doing HTML, CSS, and JS. I know none of these and there are 3 weeks left to finish the project. Is it possible to learn all three within a week, or is my group leader just retarded?

just made a pretty decent resume site with makefile and bootstrap. took like 30 minutes

sounds pretty cool
*Idea: make it so you can edit the sounds you upload, at least chop them and/or loop them

codecademy.com for Indian tier basic knowledge
Also yes the guy is retarded

howlerjs seems to be made for this idea

then integrate it into your website, it seems useful, same people would be visiting a website to get a sound board would also more than likely like to edi their sounds since most of the time they'd need that functionality. Also:
* Make the buttons for playing the sounds also accessible with keyboard key strokes, make the keys programable, as you can assign each button a key. AND you can record your session.

Just copy/paste bootstrap example templates then google whatever else.
HTML + css is all you'll (probably) need anyway.

Take a few 1 hour long youtube videos to figure it all out properly. It'll look decent by default, can't go wrong

website's fucked on mobile vertically but decent with everything else. it's just a resume website. think i should leave it or fiddle with it more? no idea how to get the navigation bar to work on devices that small width

>implying I'll get past the basic framework phase
Someone else will steal the idea

I'ts a great idea bro, go for it. Make /wdg/ proud.

basically if your website has cookies with a session ID to keep users logged in, a hacker could keep guessing session IDs until he landed on one that was in use. this type of attack is a lot easier to brute force than targetting a single person's account.

Asp core is hell to use
Suggest something else which is fast and isn't php

Why is it? What problems do you have with it?

I can't get the IP address of a client easily
Adding a cookie was a simple function in mvc, now it's action result bullshit
Adding simple authentication is a nightmare
What the hell is a filter
Honestly I'm just being retarded. Other than that razor is a dream come true

i was about to make a thread

alright guys, here's the deal. i was a web dev for 5 years, quit my job almost 10 months ago for a few reasons which i don't want to get into but it was the right choice. regardless on my resume i say i am still working there part-time remotely (i moved 3 hours away) so there's no major hole in this

in the 10 months of applying for 1,000+ jobs, i have gotten maybe 10 phone interviews, 3 in-person interviews, and 0 job offers. i have a meme business/econ degree so it's not related to comp-sci. i must be doing something wrong

apparently most of the shit i used was outdated. PHP, javascript (mainly jquery), mySQL, obviously HTML & CSS. did some wordpress (hate it honestly)

what the fuck do i need to learn and put on my resume & get a job? i get different answers all the time, it's like i would be spending a year learning all sorts of new languages, libraries, and frameworks just to get the opportunity for a job using 1 of them?

so confused, but i'm on my last $300 so i need a job

Attached: schizoid-butt.jpg (500x500, 262K)

What's the best route to take to get into the web dev business? I want out of this third shift factory hell.

so what's the right way to do it?

here

also if anyone wants to work on a project with me, let me know

i am pretty good at PHP and JS. i know HTML/CSS better than english. i'm kind of a sperg so the programming part comes a bit easier to me, but with the downside i have no formal education i kind of just taught myself over the years as i had a job doing it

Schizoid + Machiavellian = ubermensch

An agency. Get into being a temp, they'll find you work and then try to get hired on to a real company. Polish your LinkedIn and recruiters won't leave you alone. I got offered a job for Ruby and I've never once touched it. I had to Google shit for the interview. Factory work is rough dude. Get out ASAP.

>dev tools docked on the right sometimes trigger responsive elements and make the UI switch from desktop mode to tablet mode
>dev tools docked on the bottom take up too much screen estate
>dev tools on a separate window are annoying to use
>only savages use dev tools docked on the left
I don't think I will ever be happy with dev tools placement until I buy a fucking ultra-wide monitor

stackoverflow.com/a/51245326
seems pretty simple.

Cookies can still be set using the Response property.
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.aspnetcore.http.iresponsecookies?view=aspnetcore-2.2
But why even use cookies today.

If you want basic authentication then enable it in your webserver, not in ASP.NET.
For super simple log-in just use cookie based sessions and set a flag on the server side.
So far I've only used JWT based authentication.

Filters:
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/mvc/controllers/filters?view=aspnetcore-2.2

maybe tie sessions to their IP address or user agent as well as the token? i'm not an expert

>What I need is an if else statement , depending on whether there is a filter request or not

like said use checkboxes

i would have a function that is triggered any time you click or change a checkbox

it will check the number of checkboxes that are checked, if there are any checked do that

i would have to see the codes though

should one learn all the css properties, if not which ones do you guys recommend?

. the ones that have to do with the box model
. the ones that have to do with positioning
. the ones that have to do with color/background and all their variations
. then ones that have to do with sizes and attributes of font
. the ones that provided you with cross device scaling (media queries)
. etc.

that's a minimum, ideally you just build some shit and learn along

thanks fren

nobody wants to work on a project with me?

reeeee

i can't think of any ideas for anything to make

this may seem retarded, but if i ever learn to make websites, i want to create a website similar to top5 channels on yt, but with sound effects and small animation so the person is feeling like he is reading and experiencing the book.

>i want to create a website similar to top5 channels on yt
what is this?

i googled "top 5 youtube" and just a bunch of clickbait channels

>but with sound effects
eh, sound effects for a website are gay IMO. annoying from personal experience

>small animation so the person is feeling like he is reading and experiencing the book.
wat book

I was looking for a site to easily compare screenshots or images in general, but couldn't really find a good one, that did what I wanted, so I just made one myself.
This is how it looks right now in the current version:
keen-tereshkova-3d9f24.netlify.com

Buttons and input fields are kind of ugly, but I was more concerned with the functionality so far.
With the buttons on the bottom it's possible to switch between 2 different ways to compare the images and also a button to load 3 example screenshots (or you can just drop your own images to anywhere on the page).

It's only for local files right now without any upload or sharing feature.
Not sure if I should add that even, since it seems like it would be a major pain in the butt to make sure, that people don't upload a bunch of bs to the server.
Anyway, let me know if you have any useful suggestions or maybe you find some problem I didn't notice.

>no idea how to get the navigation bar to work on devices that small width
you usually switch to a burger menu, that expands on click, at mobile sizes
Just learn the properties necessary, as you go.
how to set display, position, font, color, background, padding, margin, border, learn about flex, grid, shadows.
No way you are going to retain everything if you just go through them all without any practical examples.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-07 imageCompare(3).jpg (1920x984, 390K)

1 out of 3 websites is on wordpress

What are you working on?

I have a shit ton of work to do.

>What are you working on?
nothing right now. trying to find something to work on

i know html and css very well. javascript (especially jquery) and php

i am NEET trying to find a job and can't find one. i have 5yr work experience i made over 100 websites

>I have a shit ton of work to do.
like wat

>cant come up with a decent domain name

Attached: pepe.jpg (396x385, 101K)

>Jow Forums estimatedly costs 90k usd per month

Holy shit, where does Jow Forums get its profit? Hard to believe they can equalize this from Jow Forums pass and ads.

it doesnt cost that much. thats just what (((they))) want you to think

I'm the guy that makes twitch extensions. Finishing up my best one yet. After this I have to setup my freelance websites. Going to have a few different ones for a few different services. Then I have a delivery app/website to make and then I am finishing my CMS.

That's if they went with AWS at the time. It was a lot cheaper for them to just run their own servers which is what they ended up doing.

meatballnuts.com

Anyways, you should look into doing a twitch extension. The dev community is pretty cool. My first extension was in jquery with a php back-end so you already know what you need to. Plus it'll make some cash if it's good.

>I'm the guy that makes twitch extensions. Finishing up my best one yet. After this I have to setup my freelance websites. Going to have a few different ones for a few different services. Then I have a delivery app/website to make and then I am finishing my CMS.

so what do u need someone to help? i don't know twitch. just

html, css, js, php, mysql

what is that

>tfw cant find a job because average at best