Flashlights are technolo/g/y

What flashlights do you own? How do you use them? Do you EDC a flashlight? What models do you recommend?

Attached: DSC00077.jpg (3500x2437, 2.14M)

Anything Surefire
Fenix or Streamlight if you're poor

I legit thought this was a fleshlight thread until this post.

My smartphone and a mini maglite

Rechargable batteries are nice (eneloop)

i have one like this it's really comfy

Attached: 1.jpg (500x500, 103K)

Convoy S2+ with Biscotti is all you need

Attached: .jpg (600x600, 25K)

I have some 4 18650 offbrand monstrosity from amazon.

It'll light up a football field. Think it was like $40. Too big to carry often though.

The thinkpad and bad dragon of flashlights

Attached: Flashlight-Maglite-2.jpg (550x400, 47K)

With the biscotti firmware, it's usable. With the 3/5 firmware, it was severely crippled. I just wish there were an option for a better pocket clip. The one that wraps around the body can pop off easily, and the one that attaches with screws isn't made out of proper spring steel - it has to be re-bent occasionally to retain tension. Fix the pocket clip BS, and it's a God tier flashlight, although at the price point, it can overcome some of that.

What's it called? Sounds cool.

I use picrel on daily basis mostly because it fits in a shirt pocket but my some of my colleagues have cannons of flash lights.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (500x500, 20K)

Because I'm not an edc-let

Attached: EXvdVrwN47k.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

mags are heavy, expensive, and not nearly as bright as its competitors.

I have a few generic Chinese single-AA lights with those bright one-watt LEDs, pretty nice as long as you put rechargeables in em, and cheap too. I have a 3xAA headlamp with a similar LED in it for working on my computer and stuff.

The only one worth buying is that 6x D-cell one, and then only if you need a flashlight that doubles as a bludgeoning weapon. There used to be a cottage industry of people making LED replacement bulbs for mags, since they were incredibly slow to ditch those shitty-ass incandescent bulbs, but I don't know if that still exists. That crazy Wayne bastard at Elektro Lumens shut up shop some time ago.

A flashlight is the best weapon in the world. It allows you to look deep into the other guy's eyes.

>There used to be a cottage industry of people making LED replacement bulbs for mags, since they were incredibly slow to ditch those shitty-ass incandescent bulbs, but I don't know if that still exists.
Right now, there's a cottage industry of people making P60 drop-ins, which fit in many Surefire flashlights.

i need something very bright. I prefer the smaller size to fit in my pocket but I'd really prefer a deer spotter

How big are your pockets and how far away do you need to spot a deer? Pretty much any LED thrower is going to be good enough inside 100 yards. The Manker T01 II and Emisar D1 are about as small as I'd recommend for a thrower. Both are very competent, despite their size. If you're willing to step up a little bit in size, the Convoy C8+ or Emisar D1S will fit in a jacket pocket and have a farther effective range.

Don't get too hung up on lumen numbers for a thrower. The important metric is peak candelas, which is a measure of the brightness of the central, brightest part of the beam. Any 1200 lumen thrower will out-throw something like a 4000 lumen flooder despite the difference in "brightness." Since a thrower produces a tightly focused beam, lumens are highly conserved. This is also a good thing because high lumen output creates a lot of heat, which flashlights deal with in either of two ways: thermal regulation that ramps down the brightness or damage to the flashlight.

This looks like a pretty good one to me.

Attached: BLACKCase-Angled_1024x1024[1].png (1024x577, 329K)

i wear regular jeans but work in an old mill. I'd like a light that can change focus because sometimes im looking in a general area and sometimes im looking at a specific point .

Redpill me on a small powerful flashlight and a holder which I can clip to my clothes so I can focus on something without using my hands. Money is not a big problem.

>carry a 3 cell mag lite on my security gig
>hate everything about it aside from it being able to beat down someone in a pinch

Whats something that can used for a good beat down but also has a decent light on it?

Zooming LED flashlights exist. I am not a fan of them. You've got to free yourself from the Maglite mentality. It's easy to make a flashlight that does one thing really well. It's just as easy to make a flashlight that does many things very poorly. That's what zooming flashlights are, in my view. Most LED throwers with a reflector design will have a broad "spill" so you can see the area around your feet. The zooming flashlights I have experience with do not have this. When you zoom them "in," it's like you're looking through a tube. All of the area around the narrow bright spot is black. This would be incredibly annoying if you are actually in the woods on a trail and need even a little brightness around your feet to see where you are going. Better to get a thrower that just has a slightly broader beam, or a flooder that has just a little more throw than average.

so whats a good thrower with a broad beam?

They suck unless you wear skin-tight clothes. When you clip a flashlight to a pocket, the direction it points changes as you bend over and your shirt drapes forward with gravity. Some flashlights solve this by designing the LED as a "mule," bare with no reflector or lens, for example the Zebralight or Maratac right angle lights have this option, which has practically a 90 degree beam. I've tried to use them this way, and it doesn't really interest me because with such diffuse light, you need to use it on high, which kills the battery very quickly. The drape of your clothes still has some effect, just not as much, due to the diffuse light.

Have you never heard of a headlamp? A headlamp has literally none of these problems.

Convoy L6?

Emisar D1, Convoy C8+, Manker T01 II. You might have to order the Convoy from China (the seller has an Aliexpress store), but it's definitely worth it, for the price- or any price.

I did too

Attached: 1551944858937.gif (245x240, 1.02M)

Whoa.... so this is the power of Linux font rendering?

This will be fine right?

Attached: change butts.jpg (500x375, 90K)

Try it and report back. Do lithium primaries still discharge when they are down to 2 volts? Li-ion rechargeable cells would be causing fires if you used them like that.

Oh dear.

Attached: Battery Explosion.jpg (800x600, 329K)

Lithium primaries are even more violent than rechargeables. If you run mismatched cells and send one into reverse charge to the point where it goes into thermal runaway it will vent with flame. Forcefully. Inside a sealed metal tube.

Attached: HA-III vs BK.jpg (1400x1000, 577K)

>not having a brushed aluminum look
Absolutely disgusting

I got a Streamlight 1L-1AA secondhand. Not a terrible light, but the cool white is annoying, and they're way too expensive if you buy one new.

Attached: 88061_protac_1l1aa_main.jpg (400x400, 55K)

Bought a bunch of Hatori Mini LED flashlights and most of them have fallen apart or ceased to function.

Avoid

Some Maglites I found at the thrift store and retrofitted with LED bulbs.

And not exactly a flashlight, Lume Cube video lights, and a cheap knockoff version.

Attached: lite.jpg (800x450, 79K)

>retrofitted with LED bulbs.
How do? I've got a couple of old mags and the only reason I don'y use them is the shitty globes.

I'v previously found other globes (had a noice bright red mini halogen that just chewed thru batteries!) but never an led that would fit into the concave reflective aperture where the globe sits.

yeah, hence the "Thinkpad of flashlights"

I got one of the copper maratac AAA floodlights from massdrop.
It allows me to larp as a Silent Hill protag during my walk home from the bus stop at night through dark alleys where they never bother to turn on the street lamps.
Clip slips onto shirt pocket.
All I need is some monsters.

Attached: 7HiJXMZ2QaGU9J6OflPw_pc.png (600x600, 119K)

Any good? Is the lense prone to scratching?

I bought mine off eBay, just search for "maglite led bulb." They just drop in place of the original bulb. But compare the light outputs before you hit buy, the second one I bought is nowhere as bright as the first one I got, and seems barely brighter than the original maglite bulb. Might also check for a Batteries+Bulbs store or similar if you have one in your area.

One caveat though is there's a "dark" spot in the middle of the light it throws. You can adjust the reflector to close it, but that'll only be for that distance. There are other retrofit kits I've seen that require modifying the reflector, but I don't know if they throw a more even light.

Next, I'm keeping an eye for one of these guys at the thrifts.

Attached: Vintage-Eveready-All-American-6v-6-Volt-Battery-Lantern.jpg (400x300, 18K)

>chink shit lights or over priced rebadged chink made shit light
>subpar leds
>shit batteries and knock off 18650s
>that weird flickering thing some of them do