Thoughts on using VIA x86 as an alternative to AMD/Intel?

Thoughts on using VIA x86 as an alternative to AMD/Intel?

Attached: 1-4GHz_VIA_C3_Processor_image_2.jpg (1181x722, 552K)

Other urls found in this thread:

viaembeddedstore.com/shop/boards/epia-m920/
lmgtfy.com/?q=via kx-6000
viatech.com/en/silicon/processors/
github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/rosenbridge
valid.x86.fr/b0f6u4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not usable in a normal circumstance

Explain?

You can't buy them. Not the modern ones anyways. The new VIA chips are only for use by the Chinese government and sensitive industry. China is using VIA's chip as their home grown chip.
Supposedly they do now have the IPC of Haswell.

why cant China just use Intel?
I bet they would get them cheap (per piece, when bought in mass quantities) if they asked for it from Intel

>why cant China just use Intel?
Because they're backdoored, and even beyond the backdoor they have dozens of known used in the wild security flaws that a state actor could take advantage of.
FYI there has been word out from years back that Russia also has their own home baked x86 compatible chip thats used for sensitive government work as well. Obviously they don't give a shit about acquiring a license from intel. There have been x86 clone makers in Russia since the 8086 days.
Tons of interesting chips out there that the average person will never see, and only maybe get some scares info about

Even the via chips that were available were ridiculously bad performance

Just suck it up and buy Raptor Engineering.

fastest was something like 1.4GHz single core and was equivalent of 800mhz Intel Pentium 3

Because Intel doesn't want to share their secrets.
In order to release a product in China you have to give them your product and how make it.

Centaur designs are what you get when you apply RISC design philosophy to a CISC ISA. Light on power, but dogshit performance otherwise.

There's always ebay too.
>You can't buy them
viaembeddedstore.com/shop/boards/epia-m920/
What's this about then? Says windows 10-7 in the datasheet and linux

Those are ANCIENT user, the new chips are a 3 way partnership with a firm called Zhaoxin and the Chinese government.
Latest chip they produced is called the KX-6000, but thats actually the 4th or so gen of x86 chips they've worked with them on, the prior gens has very little public info out of, the kx-6000 chip though does actually have some public benches.

they've got some pico-ITX ARM boards on there too, that's cool
post them nigger so we can jerk off and pointlessly argue over them

lmgtfy.com/?q=via kx-6000

You also find them on newegg. The have some neat stuff.

>Supposedly they do now have the IPC of Haswell.
That's basically Ryzen. Why is not VIA making back if that is true?

you were the one who namedropped it and wanted to correct everyone, don't be a lazy retard and not post any actual content to contribute to the discussion

Because it's funded by the Chinese government for Chinese government use and use in the security sector... in China.

A list of x86 processors but not all of them
viatech.com/en/silicon/processors/
I'm not really interested in arm that's why the focus on x86, the original link I posted you could choose a 2 GHz but that's not on this list, idk why.

I think back in the day I had a VIA battulstation…
And then I switched to a T-Bird and stayed on AMD until I got my my G4 ibook and after that I went with intel thanks to thinkpads.
Kinda miss competition in the CPU space. It's really incredible with what intel gets away.

Attached: 40yoboomer.png (827x883, 724K)

Intel Gemini Lake long surpasses the performance of VIA low power CPUs

Intel Elkhart Lake will be even faster, VIA is pretty much irrelevant now

It's always been that way, even when Cyrix and AMD were at the top of their game they still only really competed in the entry level and mid-range segments at best.

BOTNET, stay away github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/rosenbridge

Does it even have the required instruction sets for games or real applications

It doesn't seem too bad
valid.x86.fr/b0f6u4

I got a old computer with amd processor but via chipset motherboard for free, its what got me interested in checking out via. I didn't know they existed before.

Where does it reference via?

Bookmarked though, literally a tool to check and disabled any backdoor if it exists.

I mean where does it reference any othe than c3 chips, which supposedly aren't available according to all the trying to scare people away but not saying much besides be scared, run away posts.