github.com/mumble-voip/mumble
mumble.info/
mumble.express/
github.com/Jrawke/mumbleExpress
github.com/Johni0702/mumble-web)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>FOSS software
>Free Open Source Software software

Weirdly enough it's still being developed rather actively. They just stopped pushing versions.
github.com/mumble-voip/mumble

ATM machine

>muh frequent updates
haven't you updated Gulag Chrome to version 90 yet?

it literally was updated to 1.3 rc1 days ago, op is a faggot

Oh look it's the thread from two months ago

what updates does it even need retard? it works fine

>what updates does it even need
This is what every FOSStard says lol. Like software can just remain unmaintained forever.

Mumble ftw..
Could it be better? yes
Is it good enough, yes as well

Mumble was ugly and hard to use. Discord is more normie friendly.

you're ugly

You convinced me with that argument.

That's because 1.3 is supposed to be the next major milestone release. I don't know what's on the roadmap but that's their plan.

Well they still haven't updated the Opus codec on the 1.2.x series so that's why people want 1.3

Serious question: how is mumble compared to say TS?

I have a buddy who pays for a TS server and when I mentioned mumble he said something about the voice codecs being garbage and people sounding like crap on it.

Mumble was the first one to use Opus that TS also uses now. 1.3 also has significantly superior noise suppression with RNNoise. It's at least as good or better than TS.

Reminder that you should join:
mumble.n3t.host
port: 42069

i remember paying 15 dollars a month for a typefrag mumble server, eventually it crashed and i lost all my channels with no backup and no option to backup, and at that point i was less retarded so i just bought a cheap vps for 4 bucks a month and put it on there.

no

Because there is added safety by using an application that logs your messages and shares them with law enforcement

I mean I understand the frustration of 1.3 not being finished yet, but they're still publishing nightly builds for all supported platforms, Windows included.

as long as you feed it water each day it shouldnt be a problem

>but they're still publishing nightly builds for all supported platforms, Windows included.
Nobody downloads those and you know it. They need to hustle and roll out 1.3 already or nobody will get the new Opus codec version.

So what? The reason no one downloads them is because no one knows about them. The latest snapshots work fine on all my workstations so I don't see the problem.

You're right, all software in 2019 should receive breaking updates just to add animated emojis, built-in advertising, spyware, etc. These are truly the most important features in modern times.

>just to add animated emojis, built-in advertising, spyware, etc.
These faggot fosstards always do a strawman instead of actually admitting that their 2 year old software is way behind the current state of the Opus codec it uses and its holding back a lot of admin features. Go fuck yourself, fossfaggot. Go eat your mom's tendies.

>implying Discord's VoIP implementation sounds better than Mumble's
I seriously hope you don't believe this. There's definitely a noticeable difference

mumble.info/

Scroll down to Download section, see Development Snapshot column.

Why are you so mad that I spent 2 seconds actually reading the project's website when you were too lazy to even bother with that?

>Scroll down to Download section, see Development Snapshot column.
Again, nobody is downloading test builds, you dumb NEET. Go ask your mom for some money.

Imagine defending bloated malware that happens to have VoIP this hard

The project is mostly run by volunteers so that they don't have to resort to spying and ads to pay the bills like discord does.

The development build is very stable for me, but if you try it and encounter bugs, please report them, user feedback is very appreciated.

Note that you should always search the bug tracker for similar bugs before reporting something, and you should make sure your bug is reproducible and not caused by your system being broken.

Also, note that rudeness such as calling people "dumb NEET" and "faggot fosstard" is typically not welcome in bug reports and will result in yours being ignored.

That retard didn't deserve a nice reply like yours.

>but if you try it
yeah I'm not trying it, NEETboy. Since you have so much free time, go test it for me and help the devs finally roll out a stable version. Tell your mom I said hi.

>Since you have so much free time
Must be nice working so hard getting paid to argue on the internet

Because being FOSS is not a feature.

It's Sunday, Mr. Neet. It's my day off, which is what you get 7 days a week. Now, go tell the devs to roll out 1.3 already. Make yourself useful, and try to help your mom cook Sunday dinner instead of sitting at your PC.

I know you are hung up on trying to insult me to get what you want, but I actually already make money from running mumble servers for people, and I do contribute code back so I am already helping roll out a stable version.

Contrary to what you're used to from using discord where they constantly push buggy development versions to production, the mumble dev snapshots are all made when features are stable enough to be merged. You are free to download them, it takes like a minute, but you refuse to, so the only one you can blame is yourself, not me.

100% false.
I use mumble daily and it sounds better than dicksword, and uses the same codec as TS.

Do I get to use actually secure login protocols like SCRAM-SHA on mumble?

Honestly not sure, but you can set up required TLS E2EE by forcing users to authenticate via certificates. Not sure what algos are used though

>Go eat your mom's tendies.
>Go ask your mom for some money.
>NEETboy.
>Tell your mom I said hi.
> try to help your mom cook Sunday dinner instead of sitting at your PC
You're either 17, a butthurt wagie with a shit job envious of NEETs, or some sort of b8 master.

nice LARP faggot

None of the above.

>implying I use discord.
I'm just making fun of you fossfags for acting like open source software never needs an update because "muh Windows 10-type" boogeyman

Because most FOSS feels like someone (maybe) got the underlying functionality right and then put less-than-zero effort into the UI or initial setup.
No one looks at mumble and thinks "this looks well-constructed".
You can claim form-over-function all you like, but Discord got both, and Mumble or made it halfway.

>for acting like open source software never needs an update
Said no one ever, but updated does not necessarily mean better. See: uTorrent, Winamp, Skype for examples

Discord I'd still call its own case though. The voice quality is still subpar compared to Mumble and it still has major outages from time to time. Want text and media sharing too? Okay, Mumble falls short but you should understand Mumble was never originally designed for text or media and the current implementation is literally an afterthought. Mumble's most dominant usage dates back to when it was better suited as a companion to IRC or for using the local in-game voice chat functionality.

>Said no one ever
Nice try, fag. Your cohort here said it.

>what updates does it even need

Typical fossfag logic. They want all their software to be stagnant for fear of muh boogeyman.

Attached: you in the window.png (735x629, 399K)

Ventrilo was proprietary and esteemed as well.

Fuck off, (((HypeSquad))) shill

>maybe if I completely miss the point I can still win this argument

Attached: 1548428414958.jpg (718x617, 76K)

They're voice chat functions are both primarily for people playing games, or just chatting. This is a ven-diagram of a single circle.
Voice quality needs to be acceptable to the point where the layperson doesn't find it distracting. Both succeed there.
I'd argue that the average jackoff running Mumble blows up their server more often than Discord ever would.
The only use case for Mumble over Discord is local LAN, which is basically never.
Face it, Mumble only really beats Discord in places where it doesn't matter, or security (which practically everyone fails to actually implement, so it fails there too).

Strongly disagree. Mumble is vastly superior for smaller groups of users playing games or chatting together via VoIP. Discord is better suited for larger communities

steam will update its voip soon to have less latancy than mumble so who cares.

I trust steam with my shit they will still sell my data but in a intelligent way that maximizes profit vs privacy unlike discord that are sluts..

Steam is nonfree software and therefore harmful. Maximizing profit for them means less benefit for you.

The development version is more than stable.

lol sure

>implying the crude masses have good tastes in ANYTHING
tiktok was a mistake.
discord was a mistake.
windows was a mistake.

This. Have never had an issue with the 1.3 snapshots ever

Holy shit you're STILL here? You were BTFO a long time ago just give up already

Last commit: 7 hours ago
Fuck off with this shitty thread AGAIN

>click on "download version 1.2" instead of "download version 1.3"
Only ABSOLUTE RETARDS don't download the latest version. How fucking mentally handicapped do you need to be to download an old version of something when the latest is right next to it?

Simple: Because it's painful to setup, had shit echo cancellation and requires a fucking server instead of being register and sign in.

retard :)

>another fosstard neet gets triggered
I love it.

>he thinks he BTFO'd anybody
kek

Nobody is downloading anything that isn't release-ready, user.

>Nobody is downloading anything that isn't release-ready
You already are. See: Windows

I use Ubuntu.

hi I just wanted to share a web interface I made for mumble. I think this would make it more accessible to people who don't want to download the client

mumble.express/

Yeah, been using it for literally 5+ years. The server daemon has issues, but there's nothing wrong with the desktop snapshots which are perfectly inter-operable with the stable version.

desu this is the official Jow Forums and /tech/ mumble

This is actually pretty cool. Can you make a popup like pic related for that site?

Attached: GBUZ2HY[1].png (428x230, 6K)

Thanks, glad you like it.

I probably won't have time to add this popup. But if you create a pull request for it, I will merge it in. Or, you can create a github "issue" for it and maybe someone else will pick it up later.

github.com/Jrawke/mumbleExpress

If you're using LTS then you already are using software that is a year or more out of date, so you have no grounds to complain about being stuck on 1.2.
If you're using non-LTS then you're already using unstable rolling release software so you have no grounds to complain about upgrading to 1.3rc.

How does it compare with mumble-web (github.com/Johni0702/mumble-web) feature- and sound quality-wise?

1.3 daily builds are coming to flatpak
stop being bloatniggers and get rid of discord

Perfection can't be updated
[spoiler]They are still actively updating it, just not the stable build you gigantic discord slut[/spoiler]

I was really hoping that mumble would implement channel member limits. My friends and I eventually switched to discord where that feature exists. It really helps when your guild is large and people keep jumping in to talk about anime while you're busy playing a team game.

You can make private temporary channels, or restrict access via acl.