HOLY BASED

youtu.be/jsoNkbJNSXY

is this what Jow Forums would be like as a professor

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-07 (8) FIU Professor Lawrence Meyer database course rant - YouTube.png (457x340, 220K)

Based

based but would be better if he didn't swear so all the buttblasted soibois would have nothing to complain about other than the truth

it's hard not to be emotional when you want your students to succeed. those are wasted seats someone else could have taken.

At my uni people just get failed, either they learn it on their own or they drop out. Really not worth wasting your breath on this.

Lol, university professors in the US baby their students this much? They care about students ignoring them, playing around on phones or computers? There's no mutual understanding that a student's growth is their own responsibility? Kekking pretty hard at this, especially the middle school teacher tier "we'll have a test next week if you're not good" tactics.

If I was in this class I'd make some memes of this retard's breakdown and spread em while in his class

sup guise did I miss anything

Attached: 2019-04-07-191700_765x490_scrot.png (765x490, 287K)

DROP dead if exists;

Holy fucking based and redpilled. But I don't get how can students fuck up in a database course so hard. Databases are easy as shit and straightforward you have to be super fucking lazy to screw up.

kek

>thinking this classroom looks familiar
>click link
>it is the university I went to
rip

I don't recall seeing him as a professor when I was there. The university really sucked and the program was terrible.

So he complains for 15 minutes about people wasting his class time while the fact that he's complaining is wasting class time? Isn't that hypocritical? Couldn't he of taken like, 5?

>joined class after useless rant that taught nothing

is he the most based student in the class?

>Couldn't he of taken like, 5?
>Couldn't he of taken
>Couldn't he of taken like, 5?
>Couldn't he of
>he of
>of

lol

he's blackpilled while the rest only think they've been redpilled

I feel a bit bad for the 6 people in the class he mentioned having to listen to him for 15 minutes because of the shortcomings of the rest, you know they did nothing to deserve to be berated in such a way and even if they realize that, it still feels bad. Happened to me many times

Attached: serveimage.gif (498x416, 89K)

It would be worth it if the talk woke up some of the invalids to dropping out and going into plumbing or the other trades. I can't even imagine being so retarded to not get basic relational database concepts.

mfw

Attached: Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif (225x225, 1.98M)

I'm going to have to go out and say he's probably a terrible professor based off him wearing a fucking tie dye shirt and jeans. Have some professionalism in attire. Even the last dude walking in is dressed well.

>not reveling in smug self-satisfaction

Attached: 1517974857843.jpg (601x601, 156K)

he's already got a job. why would he care? it's not a meeting with shareholders or w/e

Maybe, I don't really know the subject he was talking about. I didn't do CS in college I did IT and this looks like a high level CS class.

Ex-Mil here, I often enjoyed scolding sessions like this. Long story why. Don't ask.

I get the satisfaction there is to be had by knowing you're not one of the people the reprimand is directed to, but still

this is the correct answer

Attached: 1549851738633.jpg (595x842, 465K)

This was one thing I hated , not about college, but k-12 schooling. The zero tollerance , punish everybody for the actions of not everybody bullshit. Would make any time I actually wasn't a fuck up seem so pointless when everyone looks at you as a potential criminal anyway. And this was the 90s-mid 00s.

>"...the business rules that allow you to write the triggers"
>"the triggers"
>using triggers for anything in current year, except as an absolute last resort
big yikes

This frustrated asshole is exactly why I do not want to be involved in the faculty...
There is no point in sitting in the classroom with all those fucking kids with dollars in the eyes, who came to study like parrots to get a wipe ass diploma.

same. apparently this video was uploaded the year after i graduated and i never even heard of him.
one thing i can say is that CS at FIU is godawful and the department should be ashamed to even exist.

the math department at FIU is top notch though and highly underrated

They're in fourth year, so they're probably following the same plan I'm following, which is to coast with C's and try not to burn out any harder.

When he mentions not having trial versions of software is he actually encouraging students to pirate shit? Because you honestly think a college student can always afford that sort of shit?

>is he actually encouraging students to pirate shit?
he's advocating for reverse engineering obviously.

This is from 2013 how and why did you find this

Probably youtube recommendations.
They enjoy shoving stuff that's 5-10 years old in your face sometimes.

In my college, they had a website where you could get a license key for any software you needed.

Although I did have one lecturer who wanted us to read some book. So during the lectures he said something like "I don't encourage piracy, but if someone did pass around a USB stick containing a PDF of the book, then I'd have no way to stop that". Next class there was a usb stick left out. I was dumbfounded by how many fucktards didn't know how to work a USB stick, and they're studying computer science.

>many fucktards didn't know how to work a USB stick
were they zoomers

Actually yea. Fucking hell never even thought about it that younger generation don't know what a usb stick is. Usb stick is the new floppy disk/cd.

>Next class there was a usb stick left out. I was dumbfounded by how many fucktards didn't know how to work a USB stick, and they're studying computer science.
They get the implication. They're afraid of taking the bait from that one psycho prof that lives for excuses to admonish students.

>College students can't handle zip diskettes
I am loling out loud

Sometimes though, personally I find some nice gems that I never saw before that are years old. Not always a bad thing.

Where is he now?

lmao
In my first programming class people didn't know how to download a text file.

the unemployment line

Nah they were legit unable to copy the pdf and had to ask other students to help them. Some had no idea where to plug in the usb on a desktop, and some didn't know they had to copy the file to their network drive so that it would be preserved. Some were legit confused as to what the usb stick even was.

I had a lecturer who didn't know how to do that. When she clicked on the link and it displayed the text in the browser she had no fucking clue what to do to save it and was screwing around in moodle trying to make it downloadable. I was fucking screaming inside witnessing this.

too bad they are lowering the requirements for CS so they take less math courses.

"I'd rather have the 6 people up here who want to learn, than have 40 people here, 38 of them with their thumb up their ass"

Math is hard.

>shit professor yelling at his students for not sucking up to him
americans will defend paying $50k/semester for this

Fuck off namefag.
Filtered.

You're out of your mind that he won't be more lenient with those six students compared to the crucifixion the rest will experience.

>The university really sucked and the program was terrible
considering that almost-graduate-lvl students can't even do a proper fucking ERD, not surprising.

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm 35 and had some hard ass teachers (and then served in the military), but this seems pretty fucking mild to me. Anyone who would actually be bothered by this would have to be a massive puss. He's literally just telling them to try harder.

I'm not talking about him specifically, nor college, it's a dif environment. K-12 it was a load of bullshit.

currently taking CS at FIU. It's really fucking wack. I highly recommend against it.

it's a database course you idiot

how much is that shit costing you?

but muh feelings and such

I qualify for financial aid and some other grants. So it isn't really costing me anything.

>SEETHING

Attached: kek.gif (360x270, 1.63M)

>muh lazy students dindu they dont deserve this good students deserve to be berated too
please suck off a moving train thanks

But do you know what it would cost someone who had to pay out of pocket? I'm a europoor, no idea how paying for college works in the us. My college pays me $1000/mo to go there.

When I was attending, it was around $3k a semester, but it was growing higher each year.

Wow seems pretty steep, though I guess thats pretty good for usa.

About $6k to $7k USD per semester if you're a Florida resident and not staying on campus (like in my case).
If you're a non-Florida resident studying and staying on campus it's like $15k per semester.

>no idea how paying for college works in the us
Here's a quick TLDR: Put yourself in insane amounts of debt that might be mitigated by things like grants/scholarships but other shit's still expensive and that doesn't cover everything.

>If you're a non-Florida resident studying and staying on campus it's like $15k per semester.
HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK.

Here is mine in ireland: if you are just out of high school, then its free if you qualify for a grant, or it costs $3k per year. If you are a mature student, then you get paid 200 euro a week, and don't have to pay shit. If your EU citizen, costs like $3.5k per year.

You just live there for a while before you start school then you get the resident price

Yeah I get that but you know there has to be at least one person paying that.

Bitch all you like you little babies, the guy is right.

>that guy who walked in late and missed the whole thing

I can't imagine how you fail at teaching this hard. I can understand being pissed at people underperforming, but you don't give a lecture to the whole damn class about it. Sounds like both he and his students want to put in the minimum effort.

>I can't imagine how you fail at teaching this hard.
you can present the material, but if they really just don't care, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, you can do or say to make them give a shit.

if you weren't one of the tards who did a bad job, then you have nothing to feel bad at. People direct their communication towards you, at you, and it's up to you to decide whether that conversation is for you or not.
You don't need to think like a hub and try to replicate everyone else's issues, you need to be more like a switch and filter the frames of shit that doesn't pertain to you.

This fucking CHAD walks in late like its nothing, and not only skips the rant but arrives on time for the actual learning part of the lecture.

>get off reddit
literally one of ours

I've seen retards upload shortcuts instead of the assignment. Also, it's very common to see morons uploading the console output instead of the source code.

An art degree is exactly what you want them, faggot

I can't take him seriously with that fucking shirt on.

tl;dw

thats true but why do you support career centric academia bitch ass??

we need more teachers like him. I have and had some like him, they are a very rare species.

you gonna hate his guts at the beginning, but in the mid/end of the course, you gonna love him(almost literally).

Attached: 1501263372337.jpg (500x563, 214K)

They have to. Being a "hard ass" or expecting students to take responsibility for their bullshit is exactly what fucks up your ratings on professor rating sites and hurt your chances at tenure. Lawsuits are also a thing.

>t.brainlet faggot who would have been the archetypal target of this based rant

This was extremely mild, lol @ people getting butthurt in the comments section
>he shouldn't have used profanity cuz it hurts my feelings
Well that's the only way to get through to zoomers, nice words don't cut it
>I didn't pay for this
Correct, but if you weren't handing in hand-drawn sql diagrams and browsing 9gag thinking that your degree is just handed to you because your parents spent money on it
>he doesn't teach anything
He is teaching them that the real world doesn't give a shit about excuses for shit results.That is what you're paying money for.
>it's his fault for not teaching correctly
No it's your fault for not even reading the book or doing anything but the bare minimum. It's the fault of all previous teachers and the parents that allowed this behaviour to continue for so long. My parents did not allow me to have a smartphone until I could pay for it, and I really have to thank them for it. This whole overprotective parenting and "don't hurt my child" is the fault for this. Teaching is done using carrots and sticks, but if you ban the stick and give people only carrots you get this. If the prof wouldn't tell them, then the real world will wake them up about six months later.

>asshole professor gatekeeping people from graduation for trivial shit
they'll just find another prof

dont get me started on dumb fucks in CS

i work for my colleges help desk for students.The amount of CS and CPE majors who couldn't figure out how to install a .exe file, WHEN WE PROVIDED STEP BY STEP FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS, is terrifying. We also have requirements for incoming freshman, stating that they need windows to run most of the software needed, and it is not recommended to use a mac.

Sure enough every semester, a bunch of fucking freshman come in with there $2000 macbooks, that dont even have enough space for macOs, Windows, and the major software they need. Than they get pissed of at us because we tell them we need to give most of the partition space to windows, and they wanted more space on the macOS partition for there stupid photos.

no wonder the engineering drop out rate is so high.

school i go to is like 30k a semester with room and board

im torn on this issue, on one hand i know how fucking lazy students can be. On the other hand, if you are able to get to a high level four thousand level course, you probably worked hard to get there, so i dont know why he is treating them like there freshman. I bet 75% of those kids, dont give a shit about the class, and just want to graduate so they can start working their jobs they already have lined up.

>if you are able to get to a high level four thousand level course, you probably worked hard to get there
It's an IT program at a shitty university. I guarantee you most of those student did not have to work very hard to get there

pls dont use your name to trip

is this what community college is like?

Based as duck, but this really could've benn condensed into 5 minutes

lmao

too bad linux won't make your voice any deeper

Jow Forums incarnate.

t.teenfag
He is not telling them to suck up to him.
He is telling them to do their job correctly or get out.

I'm still amazed how many people connects USB drives to random computers at school(s) and university.

all these bloatniggers
university is for retards and every single poster in here is a retard

He sounds like a nigger. If the students suck, just fail them, who cares? He is probably the one who put the camera there and posted the video on Youtube and created this thread six years later. Fuck off!

Because that's the only way to be sure you really know your shit. Do you think these self taught "coders" can do well as someone who went through college? No they can't. And some areas like medicine you just need a college degree because otherwise you'll be hiring a literal who. So yes, academia is a good thing and you are just a bitch.