/hpg/ /esg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice:
pastebin.com/Fkxm4BBA

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 2719772.jpg (400x559, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png
pastebin.com/mk4eNULE
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
youtube.com/watch?v=FTzTcPdNYXg
youtube.com/watch?v=55AalrbALAk
npr.org/sections/allsongs/2018/12/18/676559970/tiny-tech-tips-finding-the-perfect-headphones
amazon.com/Marantz-HD-DAC1High-Definition-Headphone/dp/B00NTR459S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Marantz HD-DAC1&qid=1554693022&s=gateway&sr=8-1
dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-epz-mdr7506-sk-elite-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-sony-mdr-7506-headphones/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Redpill on STAX for newbies: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt. They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/, plus they pay Zeos to shill their crap.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

Recently Rtings rated STAX across various dimension, it's worse in terms of sound than mid-priced offerings from Hifiman and Audeze, and only got a 7.7 rating.

i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc [Open]

Oratory (respected sound engineer) on the build:

i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, with shrill highs that appeal only to near-deaf boomer. STAX is Made in China snakeoil for the audiophool.

pastebin.com/mk4eNULE
real pastebin

fuck stax

Should i buy myself a pair of massdrop plus universal iems?

Attached: AI7B5335_copy_20180118180656(2).png (783x522, 188K)

Why'd you post a new one? Use the real original one: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Is there something similar to the dx3 that has the RCA bypass the amp? Or maybe something with a speaker out? Might just get a standalone dac. The headphones I want have their own amp, and they aren't STAX.

Attached: TOPPING-DX3-Pro-HIFI-DAC-USB-Bluetooth-5-0-Headphones-Amplifier-Audio-Decoder-XMOS-XU208-AK4493.jpg (800x800, 264K)

daily reminder that unless you're a performing musician, you're a fucking retard for buying IEMs

*squeal*

i would guess it's just a DAC out, unless they specify otherwise.

First for electrostatics

Attached: images(15).jpg (199x253, 7K)

Iems are literally just the things with the rubber/foam tips rather than the sponge cover
Barely anyone sells earbuds anymore and the only good ones for the price are monks

Its portable, everyone i see outside has them apple earbuds on them

monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

>the triggered staxlet incel continues trying to push his meme mudphones after losing the war
sage

what’s listening to, user

Attached: 6A9EAB8E-02F2-47C9-81E1-AADEE2822511.jpg (4022x2496, 2.42M)

youtube.com/watch?v=FTzTcPdNYXg

youtube.com/watch?v=55AalrbALAk
on the best headphones ever created (st*x)

Attached: 929C6DB0-5FB7-44A5-95EB-ACE342D0CBDE.jpg (3571x3024, 1.69M)

What was that album called? i remember liking it, but i can't remember the name

Exai

Attached: B025BC3E-3230-4E83-9A6D-2731D4D6E434.jpg (3024x3528, 2.57M)

Got some MDR-V6s as a gift, I am not used to audio headphones and the difference between my overly boosted gamer headphones is pretty apparent; some songs are good others are just plain bad I think its just the quality of the recording. Would getting an amp help me? If so, what is a good entry level one to get around the $100 range? Mainly using these at my desk, no mobile listening

Attached: 1554622142669.png (492x643, 174K)

Thanks mate!

fpbp

Attached: fuck stax.png (581x668, 32K)

based and objectivepilled, fuck stax

any of you have grados?

Attached: babar.jpg (4572x5751, 2.16M)

we do NOT talk about grado

Attached: 9749f4.jpg (960x247, 27K)

yeah

grado are stax tier

I ask because of this;

npr.org/sections/allsongs/2018/12/18/676559970/tiny-tech-tips-finding-the-perfect-headphones

and i respect the engineer who does the tiny desk concerts a lot because those sound fantastic
He recommends Porta Pros, DT 770, 7506 & Grado SR325e

which ones have you got lad?

Hello /hpg/ What is your opinion on Marantz? Looking to get one of these: amazon.com/Marantz-HD-DAC1High-Definition-Headphone/dp/B00NTR459S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Marantz HD-DAC1&qid=1554693022&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Would be paired with an HT OMEGA Claro card and HD 650s.

like em?
are they comfortable?
what kind of music do you listen to?

yeah I still like em. stock pads can get a little uncomfortable after long sessions though

Attached: 1CCB6C67-F7D8-40DB-9407-2F8E77EB22DB.jpg (4032x3024, 2.51M)

Yeah, I think you get 'more' from the sound with an amp, and it will bring them inline with what you're used to, in a good way
It is however definitely not necessary or a huge improvement. The main reason imo is to get a nice physical volume control.

don't have any specific recs sorry, i just use my regular amp

Attached: IMG_4141 (Large).jpg (1620x1080, 161K)

Thats alright, at least knowing that its an improvement from someone whos using them is good to hear. Reminded me I also need to get something to hang them on, with the small plastic clips theyre in I'm worried that repeated use of flipping the headphones in and out will cause them to eventually snap.

don't worry about that user, they're very durable
you can fold them all day every day for a decade, many sound recordists do just that

i can't decide if i like how they look or not

>massdrop

Anyone make decent earbuds for gaming/music?

Just want something with a wide soundstage and good sound for footsteps/gunshot. I really hate headphones and IEM.

Attached: APLEARPODTCH_gall1.jpg (500x500, 27K)

>>>/iemg/

LMAO @ RETARDS BUYING THESE

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 1.23.57 AM.png (1592x1644, 1.82M)

>I really hate headphones and IEM.
>hate IEM

venture electronics
the VE monks i got off aliexpress for only a few bucks are better than ipod earbuds so i would assume their expensive model earbuds are very decent indeed

My friend got Massdrop Plus.
Tried them for few hours. Coming from Etymotics (sold them), Tin Audio T2 (daily beater model) and Campfire Orion, I found that Massdrop Plus has a little bit more bass than I enjoy. They sound good, nothing wrong with sound signature, but I would probably turn down bass on the EQ a little bit for them.
Everything else - build quality, fit, looks are nice.

The scratchy 1980s foam tips is a pass for me

Attached: VEMONKPLUS-SMOKEE1L.jpg (600x600, 35K)

I don't even use them
although they're not uncomfortable
I'm not sure exactly what you imagine earbud covers should be like
when you get to rubber covers, they become iems

also obviously don't just get the monks. If you want 'wide soundstage' to at all rival entry level headphones, earbuds, and extremely cheap then you're delusional.

>what you imagine earbud cover
single ergonomic plastic shell like earpods

>at all rival
I didn't say it should surpass headphones I just said it should be good enough

yeah you don't have to use the covers
I don't

Get some VE ZEN for $150 if you want something good.
imo monks are not 'good enough', but if you think ipod earbuds are somewhat close to being good enough then i guess they are good enough, it's all relative.

either way a pair of monks is like $10 with shipping so give them a try if you're a poorfag, i think they're pretty great for what they are.

the monk lite also looks more ergonomic but i have both and find them less comfortable i think it's probably personal though, you could get both and see.

>Get some VE ZEN for $150 if you want something good
Are they really better than cheapest Monks?

>are $150 earbuds better than $5 earbuds

prolly

Attached: stevebrule.jpg (375x281, 28K)

hpg isn't as funny as it used to be

Attached: TerryMcAuliffe.jpg (900x750, 225K)

They sound worse than they measure

>he fell for the shitheiser meme
Enjoy your hair loss lmao

Attached: grty8g3h1rq21.jpg (2320x3088, 712K)

>buy brainwavz sheepskin oval pads
>exactly 1 year later they begin peeling around the earlobe
Welp I got fucking chinked
Do actual leather pads (that fit sony mdr 7506) exist? I don't really give a shit if they cost as much as the headphones themselves did

dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-epz-mdr7506-sk-elite-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-sony-mdr-7506-headphones/

neat there is a reputable store in my country reselling these which immediately reassures me more than any number of reviews saying "its real leather, trust me m8"
now how can I test they're real leather without destroying them in the process? wikihow says real leather should unless its waxed absorb a droplet of water

also damn I was half joking about cost being no issue since the headphones themselves were only $50 more but I guess this is the nature of this rabbit hole of a hobby

Attached: gnome-mpv-shot0001.jpg (519x446, 38K)

it's not their fault you have acidic sweat you unwashed neckbeard

yeah nah they don't absorb a water droplet on any of the 3 stitched together faces (inner, outer or flat to the skin) made of supposed sheepskin
even trying to scuff it and get it to soak up a drop of water doesn't work which did work on the outward face of my full grain leather belt of 9 years and counting
brainwavz is chink shit.

whatever you say toxic slime man

Can someone explain what i should expect from a headphone amp?
I recently bought the AKG K712 Pro and despite everyone saying that they need good amplification to sound good i think that my on board soundcard (some asus supreme fx meme that says it can drive headphones upto 150 Ohm) drives them good enough. In fact maxing the volume can be too loud (i usually sit around 50-70% in ncmpcpp). So would it be worth it buying a dedicated amp?

The stock cable attached to my earphones are too short.

What brands make high quality 3.5mm extension cables? I need extra length and don't want to lose any fidelity.

Attached: extensioncable.jpg (225x225, 7K)

primarily it makes your music louder, if your headphones are good (true in your case) a good amp that gives it sufficient power will help bring out microdetails, increase the soundstage, enhance imaging and instrument separation etc. Amplifiers will often add a certain texture or flavor to the sound, by making it a little bit warmer, a little bit brighter, etc, but those are secondary to the primary purpose.

K712 would sound better with a good amp, for sure, but as with all things audio these things costs exponentially more for diminishing returns. It's up ot you if you think these returns are sufficient enough to upgrade.

Thank you

TVCOM, CableExpert, 5Bites

Can't find any of these on Amazon

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1549576276816.png (1920x1080, 1.58M)

What's a high quality mini xlr to 3.5 that isn't ridiculously long

Where can i find wireless headphones like these that hold onto your ears?

I tried looking up but i just fall on shitty wireless earbuds.

Attached: 81usjXEoywL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 141K)

Why do sony walkman PMP's cost so much? Are there any more cost-efficient alternatives?

my setup is fucking lit

Best standalone dac less than $100?

Schiit

how big of a meme are those headband headphones for sleeping? any of them have acceptable sound?

What`s better buying a Fiio M3K or finding a good portable DAC for my Redmi Note 7?

Are Sennheiser HD 559 any good?
I have no clue what to look for in headphones and these look similiar to what I've been using for 5+ years

The latter.
A dragonfly black/red will sound better, and you won't need to carry 2 devices. On the other hand, I'd be hard pressed to leave my ANC BT headphones in favour of better quality sound from a DAC, considering I'm on the go and won't be paying as much attention to the sound, specially with outside noise coming in.

Thanks, do I need a hight quality OTG for the Dragonfly or any OTG will do the job?

Just save up and get HD600. That's all you need, forever.

>330€
Yeah nope

Nah, i wouldn't care too much. Any decent cable will do.

>dynamicshit
Not even once

Check Thomann. And yeah, it's worth it. Or you can keep buying crap every one or two years, and you'll spend more at the end, while enjoying worse sound.

Drop headphones.

Buy speakers and speaker amps.

Attached: music-hero.jpg (1440x800, 526K)

I know this is a general about headphones, but I have a really nice pair of headphones and want a microphone that I can use for voice chat over a headset. Possibly one that clips onto the headphones or sits on the desk.

Can anyone who's got experience with them recommend a decently priced one? I don't really wanna spend over $40-50.

what's your really nice pair of headphones user

Well, pretty much the standard here - HD600.

what’s on your head, user

Attached: 642EBED6-D5E3-4612-BEC0-9191888B7297.jpg (2694x2522, 1.2M)

IF THEY BUY STAX, GIVE THEM THE AXE
>IF THEY BUY STAX, GIVE THEM THE AXE

Maga hat

what’s in your anus?

Shit?

at least you’re being consistent

Attached: holygrail.jpg (1024x590, 142K)

2 scoops
2 genders
2 terms

2 words

Buy S T A X