Ultra-portable PC

ultra-portable PC
in pic [Fujitsu's LOOX]
any better ultra-portable PC's out now?

Attached: Fujitsu-to-Offer-Solid-State-Drive-LOOX-U50XN-Notebooks-2.jpg (440x440, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/limboemu/limbo/wiki/Downloads
gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_372953.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bought one recently someone installed windows 10 on it for some reason anyone have ulpc xp home edition link for me

Attached: kill me.png (1024x600, 55K)

MacBook (Not Air or Pro) is good, if you want smaller either get GPD Win or wait for GPD Win 2

I'm gay btw, not sure if that matters.

You're better off waiting for x86 MTTCG QEMU support on pc emulators for android.

For example limbo for android:

github.com/limboemu/limbo/wiki/Downloads

>GPD Win 2
Isn't there something more professional for people who aren't gamers?

Attached: 1554262823461.jpg (444x322, 23K)

I know, but the more it sells the more likely they're going to do a professional version

>QEMU support
Performance suffers when you emulate x86

that's just a twinkle in someone's eye right now, nothing tangible

Honestly, nothing GPD could put out would really be good enough for me because I just hate the whole chinky feel that surrounds their brand. Maybe it's a stupid reason to discount a line of systems, but it's not like a UMPC is really something I absolutely need to begin with.

Right but not as much as people think it does. The reason it SEEMS bad is because at least through QEMU you cannot emulate more than a single x86 core and 1-2 GHz A53s have less IPC than a pentium 4 so you end up with sub-1GHz P4 perf in most phones even on "high-end" ones since they resort to little A53 cores when CPU load is low to save battery.

A rooted SD 820-855 phone with CPU set to performance mode 24/7 to use performance cores would see near 3-4 GHz P4 performance. Once MTTCG is finally added to qemu we'll see C2D performance.

Point is UMPCs are obsolete now.

physical keyboards though

IMO you're better off just getting a very small normal laptop these days. None of those ultra-portables are truly small enough to fit in a pocket unless you're going full autism with overstuffed cargo pants, and once you're carrying a bag to carry one of these you may as well get a vastly more usable modern-ish laptop. You can get a refurb 11" Lenovo Yoga for like $250 these days, I have one and it's been perfectly adequate for my needs. (Which include some light lightroom/photoshop work.)

Meh, just learn to touch type faster with your thumbs. On a good day I easily get 50-60 WPM on my phone.

Attached: Screenshot_20190408-000057.png (720x1280, 144K)

gpd micro pc just came out

>gpd micro p
NOICE

Attached: 1552515560687.gif (428x498, 1.61M)

>UMPCs are obsolete now
not until we get slider phones with a usb port and a quarter decent os

>Point is UMPCs are obsolete now.
Nah, no unexpandable iClone capacative touch device with an advertising agency's Facebook Terminal firmware running on it will ever really surpass a UMPC, regardless of how edge-case the advantages might be.

already pretty much said it for me, but I just wanted to show solidarity with that opinion.

buy thinkpad

The GPD Pocket exists (pic related, mine), the GPD Pocket 2 has come out recently which has a better processor than this stupid atom x7 bullshit (iirc M8100Y is in the new one), and they're *also* releasing the GPD MicroPC, which has a full spread of i/o including an RJ45 jack, a full touch pad instead of the nub or the optical thumb tracker whatever the gpd pocket 2 has, and a smaller screen. MicroPC is going to be priced like 300-400$. If you care about your display though I'd recommend the Pockets though as they have a much better display and a touch-sensitive one at that.

Also what might interest you is the Gemini PDA, which has SIM access and is designed more to be a mobile phone supplement or in some use cases a replacement. Really nice keyboard, but unfortunately you are restricted to touch capabilities only in terms of maneuvering the screen unless you wanted to set up hotkeys.

Attached: 20190407_221121.jpg (1504x2016, 460K)

continuing off of this, there's also the One Mix Yoga, which I'm not thoroughly convinced isnt being made in the same facilities as the Pockets are because the keyboard is literally identical, it's like they just use a different hinge design. The Yoga has the benefit of being fully flippable if you want to just use it as a regular tablet, but I've heard the touch sensitivity and everything else are kind of garbage so I'm really not sure it's super worth it with the weaker hinge. I've also never personally tested a Yoga or its successor, the Yoga 2S, but they're also worth noting here

I've been looking at the pocket 2 for a while. It would be grand for travelling and short business trips.
What do you use yours for?

as someone who is fully in support of UMPCs, where are ppl actually planning on taking their devices?

are ppl actually carrying around UMPCs? thats so uncomfortable. whenever I have my backpack on me ill bring a macbook (like the other redpilled user mentioned) since its really thin and light so it'll be unnoticeable even with my work laptop (mbp 13 2015)

i manage a decent amount of self-hosted stuff at home and theres nothing i havent been able to handle from my phone (bb key one). we need better productivity focused phones not more UMPCs

It's my daily driver, although I don't particularly perform any intensive tasks with it. basic scripting, responding to emails, shitposting on Jow Forums and irc, neglecting my real work to watch anime (very poor performance actually on this processor, do not get a Pocket 1. Literally maxes out the cpu just trying to run Firefox + MPV + compositor + irc). There certainly more nefarious things that could be accomplished with it, although I've yet to see anyone report on how well it works as like... a pentesting tool. I know there's an available Kali live install for it though if that tickles your fancy.

But I can certainly ssh into my desktop fairly easily and borrow its processing power, but I have a very administrative position at the company I work for so as long as it can handle word processing and responding to emails it's a pretty handy little device. And no bulky laptop case to carry around is a huge plus-- just this, my Note 9, and a Type C mobile charger. Great EDC-ware this one. I've yet to test its output power to a primary display though or like display sharing though. I know a couple people have had great success with it on Win10, but I've never had a reason to, and i run arch and never bothered/had a reason to

Mine literally fits in a handbag/purse perfectly, it's great not having to add the extra bags to what im carrying around anyway. inb4 tranny, im well-aware. But even then a lot of the smaller devices fit in like every pocket i've tried that a standard smart phone would fit into comfortably.

I also just really have a weird fetish for tiny tech so I'm also going to note if you don't necessarily *care* about having the keyboard but want the full spread of i/o, there's *also* the Ockel Sirius, specifically the Sirius A. This thing is roughly the size of your standard smart phone and has a full suite of ports including a full-size HDMI port *and* a displayport for display output (although with graphics processing being done all through an atom x7 processor, I can't attest to whether or not it will actually be driven well). On its lonesome the Sirius A does come with a fully touch-sensitive display (I dont know the res off the top of my head), but no attached keyboard, two USB 3.0 (maybe 3.1?) jacks, RJ45, an SSD card reader, anndd yeah. The Sirius B has no display iirc and there are a couple other differences, but I never looked into them. THat said the Sirius A with 4G of ram is like 800$ so unless you reaaallyy have a use case for it i'd recommend any of the aforementioned devices over it (though i want one anyway solely because I think it's cute)

Attached: sirius-a-pro-moon-silver.jpg (600x900, 80K)

imagine this but there's lattepanda in it

well there's always this thing gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_372953.html

and a plethora of 7 and 8 inch windows tablets from various chinks too

Attached: higole.jpg (494x450, 41K)

Has anyone tried running an ARM linux distro and THEN run wine on a phone?

Win 2 is waaaaay to expensive to take out on the go, and I got it cheaper than most (£500). It's a one of a kind thing.
I have a i3-7020U ideapad laptop for taking out and about. That only cost £150 so if it died I wouldn't be upset.
The lounge laptop I got just for £340 is a 2500U ryzen 5 laptop. Gaming laptops are a meme, but cheap laptops you can increase the TDP of and play the odd game on isnt. Laptops age pretty quickly so there's little point in buying something high end. Battery life on those kind of laptops are dire. I remember I had an old 2670QM laptop with a dedicated GPU. It cost me £700 and it would struggle to last 2 hours on stock battery and aftermarket you'd get 1 and a half if you were lucky. And its bulky and heavy and only had 1366x768 resolution.
The Win 2s browsing battery life is pretty great. Can easily get 6 hours out of it. 7Y30 is very efficient. We've come a long way

>not taking an ultraportable out on the go
doesn't that literally defeat the object

I'm just kind of poor user. I save up for things a lot, and my Win 2 is very precious to me. If I had a better job with more pay I'd take it out for a spin more.
Its mostly when I fancy playing a PC game on a handheld and wonder around the house rather than be glued to one spot.

ramlet

gpd micropc(pic related) or alternatively gpd win2.

this thing is tiny but still has more I/O than 90% other laptops that are much, much larger.

Attached: gpd_micropc_2.jpg (660x279, 23K)

Attached: 1553442356558.jpg (800x732, 91K)

I'd love to have one but i dunno if $414 is worth it to me for an N4100

I get being poor but like.. if you're afraid to take it anywhere doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose, or are you really getting your money's worth? A switch'd be cheaper

this

>GPD
>gamers
>Shit Intel Graphics

>gpd win2.
fuck I ment gpd pocket2

Attached: HTB1ER02X5DxK1Rjy1zcq6yGeXXat.jpg (1000x1000, 118K)