How does this compare to Bash?

Attached: powershell.jpg (591x457, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_command_shells#Security_features
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's slow as fuck. Literally. Import-module, you wait a million minutes. Tab complete takes a second, like what the fuck. Nobody ordered this.

Extremely verbose but you can use the complete .net library. Allows for nice scripts to do some offline processing.

Absolutely awful. Ugh. The fact that they have to alias their own language into something which is actually understandable shows how terrible the syntax is, as well as the logic. I've written some stuff in powershell script, worst thing i've done

Oh, for a second I thought you were asking for the gnu/Linux subsystem, my bad.

The power shell is way less powerful than bash. Autocomplete cannot compare to bash and it's slow.

Never tried scripting in it because I will always prefer Python® over anything else.

Even though you can use .net in it, it entirely misses the point of a scripting tool.

disgusting honestly, bash or any unix shell shits on it

Ignore the freetards crying. Its fine just different than bash because its built for windows management. Bash is subpar in comparison for this because that's not what its for. Plus most people are really comparing the bash+ entire default linux toolset to one program on windows which is funny.
Bash & powershell as languages both suck but they work.

Not worth your time unless you’re administering Windows machines. I use it daily. You can quite literally make changes to, or pull info on, a few thousand Windows machines with a one liner in minutes.

Pajeet detected.

It's pretty neat if you learn it but you have to spend a long time reading pajeets.net horseshit.

Autocomplete is better, but everything else is worse. Tab-complete is mandatory to use Powershell anyway, since it's so extremely verbose, as if they want to give you arthritis.
There are a few things it can do okay, but the default behavior of many commands is worthless, and trying to pipe things together is difficult.
I'd recommend even mksh over powershell. Any Unix shell.

This too, Microsoft's documentation, Get-Help pages for Powershell itself isn't as good as your shell's own man page.
Powershell's documentation is even worse than GNU Info, in that you have to read many, many separate pages to try to learn how to use the language itself.

I wish bash syntax was that of PS, so easy to use, help function is miles better than the man pages too.

That sounds ripe for abuse...

this is the true soldier of Jow Forums.

not a freetard or a pajeet. He just works with tools and discusses them.
Good on you my man.

powershell is still slow as fuck. a perfect match for a slow as fuck os.

There is nothing like set -e, you have to check the exit code of the previous command with if statements, as && and || do not work.

A shell where you cannot combine processes in a meaningful way. Retarded shit language.

But you can write C# code inline, and call it from PowerShell! To be honest that is actually a better way to use that shit than its own syntax.

Scripts are not executed in a subshell, so if a script fails halfway down its job, you have yout cwd messed up.

CWD is handled in some messy way, the .net System.Environment.CurrentDirectory when invoked from PowerShell return different value than the directory powershell is in...

The total shell is a clusterfuck.

Better, since it supports objects and arrays and not just passing strings that have to be parsed again and again.

The fuck are you talking about, bash is probably one of the slowest languages on earth due to being literally interpreted, as text, line by line.

It's an object oriented shell.
So it's quite obviously trash.

better in every possible way except that it's actually GUI dependent and the language is slightly less straightforward than an already un-straightforward shell script.

Powershell was developed by Windows sysadmins who envied unix shells and wanted something just as powerful. It's one of the actually good softwares to come out of the microsoft camp and it was practically forced down the company's throat.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_command_shells#Security_features

>except that it's actually GUI dependent

Hmm? It works over ssh, on the linux console and over serial.

useless crap
get the real thing
or just kill yourself

PS is made for abuse. Quite possibly the most dangerous tool in a window box.

True; when it debuted there were a fuckton of PS vulns. But right now it's way more reinforced to avoid that kind of abuse

It offered way too much unrestricted and unmanaged power over the machine initially.

Fully featured with completions and all?
I only dealt with it on powershell.exe and I have to do some stuff like mode changes via the right click menu.
For the most time I thought the remote powershell was a stripped down core that lacked some features from the powershell.exe

So is PS retard. They're both interpreted. The only difference being you can get shit done with one of them.
>softwares
pajeet detected

>it entirely misses the point of a scripting tool
This

I thought pajeets loved windows lol.
'softwares' is a homage of sorts to the 'wares/z' term from ye olden internet days. has it been a minutes since you last checked your xbox account, zoomer?