What's actually wrong with using "botnet" or propietary software?

As a normie I really can't think of any possible real world consequences for this.

There really isn't a "botnet" conspiracy that will result in your data getting used to build in depth psychological profiles of you or whatever it is you're scared of, and nothing worth caring about will happen if you run Javascript or "non free" propietary software.

When you go out of your way to only use half baked open source apps such as GIMP or NewPipe, as well as exclusively using Linux which, although it's fun to customise it and it can be legitimately useful on servers or raspberry pis, isn't actually a logical choice for a main desktop OS due to its utterly crippling lack of compatibility for almost any Win32 software, you aren't actually rising above anything, you're really just making your life harder for no good reason.

>inb4 paid shill
Most people on here are "paid shills" for Linux, yet no one ever complains about them.
>inb4 go back
I actually agree that reddit is shit.

Attached: Screenshot_20190406152238_Opera_Touch.jpg (1080x1061, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zepouet/Xee-xCode-4.5/blob/master/XeePhotoshopLoader.m#L108).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

containment board

Not an argument

I don't mind them doing so, unless they use GIMP, in which they should immediately be executed

>come from /v/
>muh gaymes, muh software
>so tech illiterate that doesn't know what wine is, or that people who use unix on the desktop don't use it because of win32 software but because of things winblows and other proprietery alternatives can only dream of supporting
>on top of that says "proprietey software", which includes macOS etc., but complains about lack of win32 support, therefore calling macOS unusable and contradicting his previous statement
>thinks linux is still like it was in 2003
>shit the board
>is told to go back to /v/
>NOT AN ARGUMENT AAAAAAA

I will take your bait.

Proprietary also stands for "Getting vendor locked", which means that you must live with what ever the retarded choices that management of that vendor make. Often formats for those products are unnecessarily complex and sometimes contradictory to make reverse engineering and providing an alternative as hard as possible (for Photoshop's psd, see this rant on github github.com/zepouet/Xee-xCode-4.5/blob/master/XeePhotoshopLoader.m#L108). If the company decides to kill off the product, you will eventually be unable to use even the older versions of that product because either all the mirrors will die or hardware will no longer support it. This is pretty common in factories, where they still use floppies to load instructions for machines. Replacing all that older infrastructure would be much more expensive compared to custom manufacturing a bunch of floppies and a floppy disk drive.

There's also the question of portability when it comes to being vendor locked. For example, xcode only runs on macOS based operating systems. Visual studio adds custom compiler options and hides everything, making migration of c projects to other tools, or even setting up the same project on another machine, hard as fuck.

Botnet, on the other hand, is a fancy word for analytics. By definition, botnets phone to some "home" server and listen for commands to execute. Be it "collect cookies" or "delete files" or "get 614 last computers that requested time update from this time server and spoof mac and ip addresses to the following". People are just pissed that software comes with its own datamining tools that attempt to extort as much data as possible out of you without interfering with your work. It also comes with the fact that you don't buy software anymore, but rather subscribe to it. Imo people would be fine if they subscribed to updates, instead of what ever garbage is happening now.

I think you have never truly experienced either of those things.

The only thing worse than a linuxfag is an archfag.

>come from /v/
Still not an argument
>so tech illiterate that doesn't know what wine is
I know what it is, but it's so horrible at actually supporting most Windows software that I didn't find it neccessary to even mention it
>or that people who use unix on the desktop don't use it because of win32 software but because of things winblows and other proprietery alternatives can only dream of supporting
Literally what. No idea what you're talking about here.
>on top of that says "proprietey software", which includes macOS etc., but complains about lack of win32 support, therefore calling macOS unusable and contradicting his previous statement
Porting is seperate to compatibility.
Porting is when you convert code to be usable on another platform.
Compatibility is when you don't need to convert the code at all, because it just works automatically, even on another platform.
Win32 software is often *ported* to MacOS, hence why I didn't bring it up.
Maybe I could've worded it better but it's telling that you had to look so hard for any potential small mistakes to bring up.
>is told to go back to /v/
>NOT AN ARGUMENT AAAAAAA
But it's literally not an argument.
Also:
>someone said an opinion he doesn't like
>BACK TO V OUT OUT OF BOARD AAAAAAAA

>Still not an argument
o you're admitting you're from /v/? you should have stayed there, cancer.
>I know what it is, but it's so horrible at actually supporting most Windows software that I didn't find it neccessary to even mention it
no, it's not that great but it's not terrible either. It's miles better than supporting older Winblows software than newer Windoes versions though
>Literally what. No idea what you're talking about here.
i've extensively used both windows and linux and i find linux to be far more agile, far more customizable, have far better command-line (which is very important to me), nativaly runs many CLI programs that you can only dream of having on Windows, far less system intensive, respects my choices and respects my privacy (if you're ok with giving your data to the botnet then fuck you)
everything else is a typical /v/ermin shit so i won't bother replying

Attached: 1554713321877.png (720x697, 162K)

>There really isn't a "botnet" conspiracy that will result in your data getting used to build in depth psychological profiles of you or whatever it is you're scared of, and nothing worth caring about will happen if you run Javascript or "non free" propietary software.
False premise. The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant.

I will also take your bait.
>There really isn't a "botnet" conspiracy that will result in your data getting used to build in depth psychological profiles of you or whatever
Actually, that's exactly what ad companies to. So Facebook and Google for example, but also every other company in the ad business.
>When you go out of your way to only use half baked open source apps such as GIMP or NewPipe
GIMP is absolutely no photoshop, but nobody here is a professional artist so GIMP is actually enough for most people here. NewPipe is literally excellent and works perfectly.
>Linux which, although it's fun to customise it and it can be legitimately useful on servers or raspberry pis, isn't actually a logical choice for a main desktop OS due to its utterly crippling lack of compatibility for almost any Win32 software
But Windows isn't a logical choice for any OS due to its utterly crippling lack of compatibility for almost any POSIX software.

Weren't you satisfied with the results of your last thread? Or do you enjoy getting (You)s so much?

I personally prefer free software cause it's less bloated and annoying.

Of course some free software sucks, GIMP isn't really user friendly for example and libre office is an inferior product imo.

But others are just as good as propietary software, while being less bloated.

I mean who doesn't get annoyed by winrar reminding you to fucking buy it.
Who isn't tired of propietary software installing some tool bar or other unnecessary stuff if you don't pay attention while installing that shit, of course it's my own fault if that happens, but I kinda dislike the software for trying to fuck me if that makes sense.
Also it's just bloated in general, you may only want to use one feature of some software but you have to install the whole thing which is 1000times bigger than it needs to be just so everything is included and you can do everything on every system even though you don't want that.

>I mean who doesn't get annoyed by winrar reminding you to fucking buy it.
Shows that you don't know why it's there to begin with.

Winrar folk do not care about regular users. Even their CEO says that the box is there for BUSINESSES (surprise, it's a commercial product) and that trial ending is not enforced to prevent users from pirating and in turn infecting themselves with malware.

Botnet? depends on the botnet used
Proprietary software? literally nothing wrong with it

Dude relax

>There really isn't a "botnet" conspiracy that will result in your data getting used to build in depth psychological profiles of you or whatever
Stopped reading there. How naive can you be?

Attached: 1505966143008.jpg (308x457, 83K)

love this trannyboy

Been dual booting for a decade, couldn't give a shit about privacy, actively shill my worldviews to anyone who listens using my real name all over social media, happily install botnet spyware without a care.
That aside Windows has really gotten bad lately, it's a terrible UX these days. From dual control panels to broken start menu and uncontrollable updates reverting your settings I've found myself using it less and less.
Since forever have used linux for software development and windows for entertainment, only just switched to linux as first boot choice recently and have no urge to go back.
I get about 40 mins extra battery life with Debian/KDE over Win10, the menubar search just works whereas win10 literally won't show skype also built by MS and that I installed from the MS store, it shows me a fucking Bing search instead. I bought a new laptop last year and blew me away how much crap I had to fix on win10, you forget how bad it is out of the box, and this if just basic settings, not bothering with disabling telemetry. Debian took 20 mins to be working how I wanted, even with downloading a stupid wifi driver.

> newpipe
Plenty of opensource apps that are garbage but this was a poor choice of example. Newpipe is unequivocally better than the normal app, runs faster, offers both video and audio downloads. Hard disagree.

My 2 cents anyway.

Attached: 1554252692242.jpg (800x450, 50K)

This is why people don't use Linux.

Based

>There's nothing wrong with being milked and abused by big corporations

>use linux and windows software
why? you just wants to customized your desktop don't you?i doubt that anybody even have a personal server

wait i meant to reply to

Daily reminder that many /v/irgins will still have to migrate to Loonix when Micropenis starts jabbing at Valve
Steam isn't getting furiously improved in Linux support for the goodness of the company's heart or something.
Once you do make the move, you will realize what you've been missing out on.

PS: The 'botnet' very much exists. You are being analyzed and your data is already used to further advance AI. Read around in CS/Data Science research papers. You will realize it's just not a hot topic for the masses but it's been going on furiously for over a decade. It's a matter of 'when', not 'if'.