Why did we stop using classic batteries in favor of rechargeable ones that are built into the device?

Why did we stop using classic batteries in favor of rechargeable ones that are built into the device?
The capacity of 2 AAs is higher than even modern Smartphone batteries and you can just carry about 10 of them and not have to worry about running out of capacity.
Maybe it makes sense for smartphones that need to be flat, but why game boys and cameras and such?
You would save on the cost of shipping with an included battery and you wouldn't have to worry about compatible charging cables. So why did the class throw away battery die?

Attached: gba-black_1.jpg (979x734, 65K)

Disposable batteries are bad for the environment. Although the real reason is probably for limiting the lifespan of devices and incentivize upgrades; which is even worse.

bulk, weight, customer expense

>customer expense
fucking retard

conts money to keep buying replacement batteries, m8

I just bought three rechargeable AA batteries for my shortwave radio, and I wish I had bought them sooner.

A radio is a relatively simple and low-energy device, but I was changing batteries once a week. I spent $20 in two or three months with that shit.

Imagine what using a smartphone with alkaline batteries would be like. You would need ot buy new batteries twice a day. It's expensive and impractical.

Cost money to buy new phones when the battery dies and you can't replace them. Also there are recharbable AAs

Who the fuck uses non rechargable batteries in 2019?

Buy 3 sets of 2 recharable double AAs with one emergency set in your wallet.
Keep 2 always charged. And if you ever forget them just buy normal ones.
No such options with phone bateries

THEY sell pair of alcaline AA for $1
facktards

Attached: KIDS_PC.jpg (1360x1281, 224K)

New macbook lookin sleek

I get packs of 100 at Fry's Electronics for $19.99, so fuck rechargeables when that deal exists

The Apple effect.
Apple were the ones that started this trend with the ipod and iphone. In typical apple fashion, they proclaimed it was for ease of use, but actually it was so users would have to buy a new device once the battery crapped out, rather than simply buy a new battery.
Other tech companies followed afterwards.

>Why did we stop using classic batteries in favor of rechargeable ones that are built into the device?
It's a combination of bulk, weight and planned obsolescence. Cylindrical Alkaline and NiMH AA cells are both heavier and much bulkier than an equivalent energy capacity in li-ion. As an added bonus for manufacturers you can't keep using their products forever because li-ion batteries degrade relatively rapidly and they can cut off your supply of replacements when they choose.
>The capacity of 2 AAs is higher than even modern Smartphone batteries
5Ah @ 1.5V = 7Wh, 4Ah @ 3.7V = 14.8Wh
>So why did the class throw away battery die?
You could argue waste, but planned obsolescence is far worse so that argument would be bullshit.
One perfectly valid reason is recharging and given that the average person is a retard who can't be trusted with a NiMH charger or to not mix cells, it makes sense to have the battery+charger built into the device so all they have to do is plug it in.

Attached: AA Batteries.jpg (900x667, 94K)

Hell even lithium batteries are non-removable these days simply because the retention mechanism for a replaceable battery adds bulk to a device.

Because running out of batteries and having to either scare them up around the house or go all the way to the store to buy more is a fucking waste. Nobody likes that shit, and some people get confused by all the different sizes. Especially the button batteries, fuck those personally because it always seemed like the store didn't carry the specific one you need at a given moment and then you might gamble with one that's similar but might not be compatible, oh what a mess that is and for some fucking reason they still make new shit that uses them.
Way more convenient to just plug shit into a wall with one of the two standard usb cable types that are used for everything rechargeable these days.

Microsoft despite being shit realised this and kept double A batteries in their controls.

Total bro move

> putting AAs inside one's wallet
what

Not having to replace batteries that often is better for the environment. Plus, modern phones ir other devices tend to consume a lot more, so the capacity being larger is a myth.
>planned obsolescence
Not necessarily. If the battery can be easily replaced, then it's not. The real problem is when you have a non-removable battery, like most phones nowadays. But rechargeable batteries per se don't mean planned obsolescence.

Better yet, they offered a choice to have one or the other.

>The capacity of 2 AAs is higher than even modern Smartphone batterie
Source?
As far as i can tell an average Li–FeS (AA lithium) battery has a capacity of [email protected] which is only 3000mAh@3v when pair up which is much less than the [email protected] of an average cellphone battery
Judging by the 14500 batteries which are the exact same size as a AA and have a capacity of about 3Wh vs 4.5Wh on the Li-FeS, Li-ion is less energy dense for sure, but only by a factor of about 1.5x, which when you take into account the space wasted by the way cylinders pack, probably comes up about even.

Shit, I'm still using a 360 controller. Got a chink battery with an external usb port, I can even charge the thing while using it. When it dies I'll just try and grab another battery for peanuts.

A lithium battery being replaceable doesn't help you much when its dimensions, connector and pinout are specific to one product and they go out of production. That very much is planned obsolescence. Maybe you get lucky with a popular product and aftermarket batts keep being made for a while, but certainly not with the original manufacturer's blessing and even those will go out of production eventually.

>Apple were the ones that started this trend with the ipod and iphone
Palm pilots were doing it for years before then. All cellphones at the time also used custom batteries.

form factor, along with voltage, Ion and polymer can be flat batteries, and deliver 12 volts+ in a smaller form factor then others.

life is bad for the environment, but limiting the lifespan is only a factor in high end shit.

rechargeables are typically 1.25 volts, while non are 1.5 volts, the difference isnt large, but its big in certain applications, such as flashlights.

imagine a smartphone with AA batteries, now imagine they are replaceable.

smartphones typically have 3000-4000 mah, my batteries typically start at 2500mha per batterie, 2 of these would have the phone going for longer then what's inside it already, and fully replaceable means I can swap with fully charged ones.

so we should cater to absolute retards?

this shit is fucking gay

GAS GAS GAS

Attached: ae.jpg (800x533, 50K)

But the Li-ion battery is 3.8V and your AAs are 1.5V, so you need AT LEAST two to match the wattage of your cellphones Li-ion battery. Even worse if you use Ni-hm rechargeables.
But there's a couple of good reasons why we don't use AAs for cellphones.
First, they leak more often than Li-ion batteries do, or explode, or anything, and that's not good.
Second, the rechargables deteriorate faster than Li-ion in general.
Third, they're huge. Like Energizer phone huge. The energy to area ratio is worse than Li-ion, especially when you compare to Ni-hm which cap out around 2000mAh for AA, and you need about three to match the voltage of a Li-ion battery.