SSD disk drives SUCK

I stupidly fell for the solid-state disk drive meme (thanks in part by you lot) and went against my intuition and bought a Kingston SUV400S37/240G for $40 Canadian bucks.
The first thing I did was run SMART test and it showed a Bad Block Count of 94, before it was ever even used at all.
I'm sticking with Hard (or non-solid) Disk Drives that have way more storage and don't disintegrate internally after 500 P/Es like your memedrives.

Attached: kaingston.jpg (2400x1500, 357K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=Bad block count of 9&&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-with-bad-blocks.3309865/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ok thanks for the blog post but im going to keep using SSDs

fuck off.

Attached: 1541568402087.png (910x184, 42K)

That's because idiots like you lot keep telling me to buy SSD disk drives.

buy a 3200rpm 128gb HDD from 2006. it is old tech, you will like it. now go

>tfw never had ssd even though they are dirt cheap nowadays

what does it feel like bros

Is it compatible with my new App Base?

If it's not working as intended RMA it and go for a Samsung instead

>solid state drive disk drives SUCK

Attached: 1qf96jro1_500.gif (500x379, 968K)

Dirt cheap?
I am pajeet, buy me one. Pretty please!

>notamused.jpg

Still rocking my ssd from 2014. user how does it feel to have severe latency,
abysmal startup times and lag every time you have more then 1-2 apps on the screen user?
>inb4 uses bfq-lowlatency, which gets outperformed by CFQ in low to medium
stress situations and for me only made the hdd usage be medium ground.
Top == Seagate hdd backup+music+videos+wallpapers+sometimes steam
Bottom left == OS only ssd
Bottom right == /home only ssd
I really should go for lvm setup though, I would probably want to
micromanage what folders are worth getting onto ssds, and which onto
hdd+ssd cache, hdd+ssd cache is still faster than plain hdd, but I don't want to
have firefox running on that hdd+ssd cache setup.

ALSO UNUIRONICALLY BUYING KINGSTONE SSDS KYS user

Attached: AnonYouAreMissingOut.png (1920x1080, 406K)

> I'm sticking with Hard
You know who else is sticking with Hard? Your mom xD xD xD

If you guys have windows installed on hdd and don't notice how bad it is, then please consider suicide user(s).

>not using an M.2 drive in current year
tsk tsk, I only keep questionable shit on HDDs since you can just yank em out and drop a brick on em when the bobbies come lookin for me webcam hackin loisence

>buy SSD which comes faulty from the factory
>instead of using your warranty and returning it, you believe this is an inherent flaw of all SSDs everywhere
How the hell do retards even get to these sorts of conclusions?
>I got unlucky and got faulty hardware, therefore all hardware is bad!!

I just switched to NVME SSDs and i am satisfied

Because I bought it from eBay and don't want to go through the hassle of haggling with the seller and sending it back to China.
Supposedly, some bad blocks are normal for this caliber SSD disk drive.

>bad blocks from factory are now a point of contention
better off never buying anything

>buying anything electronic from eBay
user, eBay is used ONLY to buy non-electronic gear such as bags, holders, cases, etc.
NEVER components, batteries, devices, etc.

>buying garbage from China
What the fuck are you doing? You may even have gotten literally fake shit. You only buy electronics from e-bay if they're minor accessories or replacement components which you simply cannot find anywhere else.
>Supposedly, some bad blocks are normal for this caliber SSD disk drive.
No, bad blocks are not normal.

>lag every time you have more then 1-2 apps on the screen user?
lol. the only difference is application cold start time. which can be easily mitigated with good amount of ram and superfetch.

most of time you didn't notice the difference between hdd and sdd.

>the only difference is application cold start time
Ah, sweet delusion.

>ebay
lmao what the fuck are you doing

>bought literal counterfeit chink shit
>got chinked
And?

Holy shiet user how delusional can you be?
>Never tried using a web browser + any kind of application.
That's how I imagine your computer usage ^
You always use one application at a time, and always close every background application.
Probably turned off caching in web browsers, all forms of logging be it rsyslogd or systemd, and moving all the application assets/data to ramdisk before running.

Attached: Screenshot_20190128_124853.png (1920x1080, 1.66M)

>superfetch
>HDD
I too remember the days of booting my computer, walking to the kitchen and making a sandwich, walking back and it still loading. These days with my M.2 SSD i press The power button and am immediately at the login screen

>SSD disk drives
>Solid State Drive disk drives
nice

Retarded. Why ebay of all places? If you want to buy from chinks go to taobao where they actually care about reviews. I've bought 3 ssds off there and they all run fine

Every fucking time someone says SSDs suck dick and they'd rather stick with hard drives they always buy the cheap garbage that is Kingston.

It's almost deliberate. "I bet those nerds are wrong about SSDs being better, I'll just buy the worst possible models just to tell them"

It's totally OK, just RMA it.

top lel
>Jow Forumscsg if you want to buy from chinks

Attached: mpv-shot.jpg (120x111, 17K)

>solid-state disk drive
>disk drive

You get what you deserve for being this retarded.

I spend almost $400 on a 1tb Samsung 970 m.2 nvme SSD. And I use it to store my documents folder mostly. You can bet I'm regretting that decision lol.

Who you shilling for? warosu.org/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=Bad block count of 9&&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

>buys shitty bargain bin SSD
>complains when he gets what he paid for

Just had to pop in here and laugh at you

Attached: 105599686762049imagea19_1551711919294.jpg (634x822, 132K)

OP's like 20 dollars on amazon for 250gb? that's fucking cheap considering a 120gb one would cost $100 5 years ago

I fantasize with a fresh windows install on an ssd
>Kingston
What's wrong with it?

>Kingston
Well here's your problem

>SSD disk drives
SOLID SSD DISK DRIVES

>Still rocking my ssd from 2014
Same.

When you buy an SSD, think of its actual size being 66% the advertised size. When you partition it, leave one third unpartitioned. This is your pool of sacrificial blocks for wear-leveling.

Congratulations. You now have a drive that will last 20 years.

>it showed a Bad Block Count of 94, before it was ever even used at all.

That's because ESD'd it before you installed it you moron.

mine is still at 100 since november

This bait is lame, and you should feel bad.

i know this is bait but for everyone else in this thread. never buy a kingston ssd especially not the model in ops pic, ive had two of these both start corrupting files after a while

You need to get an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for your system. Then none of your equipment will die.

>kingston SSD for 40 canadian bucks
user you are fucking retarded

dude i dont live in the us and ahve never had a power cut, i'm pretty sure it's not a power issue as ive had this happen in both a laptop and desktop machine and it's only happened ewith these ssd, I have a sandisk, pny and some random chink brand yucun i think it's called which are older than the kingston ones that I was having issues with

thats actually about normal price for a 120gb ssd i think check amazon

Attached: u0FND4B.png (723x888, 187K)

>Kingston

Attached: 1528835745426.jpg (727x480, 38K)

They are the best cheap shit SSD
If you want a quality SSD you buy samsung or micron but they're gonna be significantly more expensive.

>dude i dont live in the us and ahve never had a power cut, i'm pretty sure it's not a power issue

It is. Where you live is irrelevant for that.

>laptop

Also irrelevant due to how it is used and differences in how some manage power or don't.

I'm so glad I fell for the SSD meme.

Attached: NVMe and AHCI SSD makes HDD PIO faggots cri evrytiem.png (898x581, 28K)

I had one of the really cheap kingston ssds fail on me as well. I think they are not that well made. Try a decent manufacturer like Western Digital/Micron, Samsung, Intel, or someone who has been in the memory business for decades.

>$400
Oy vey!
You could have gotten 5 WD Blue 2TB HDDs instead. Poor guy.

my old chink ssd just works. was worth it because programs start instantly now

on windows there is always lag with a hdd because it has to access the hdd every time you do something. no menu can be opened without hdd access.

That's not how it works.

nothing wrong with those. just dont buy the gamer brands because you are paying for the brand then

>dont buy the
lol dont buy the

I just installed ubuntu on my samsung ssd.
installs really fast.
ubuntu still sucks

>1 bad SSD from a company with a history of making shitty ones
>"Yep. Don't make 'em like they used to."

Attached: boomer3.jpg (724x540, 29K)

At home I use Samsung SSD. At work I used Sandisk as it was the only way to convince bosses to upgrade to SSD to make encryption much easier over all machines. In the end a success, but they made it 10x more difficult than needed. Everyone was happy.
Should have seen the fight "huuurrr duurrr but 500 gb is bigger than 120 gb" "yeah but we only use 80 gb of it at most with 95% of users, anything more than you have a serious issue with what the person is doing on it from an IT standpoint".

Need a 2tb ssd to put in my x1 extreme to add more storage to the already 1tb pcie ssd.

How much slower is a sata ssd than pcie? All are m.2. Form factor.

Thanks!

How does this actual work?

Would Samsungs tool software for their drives do this too?

Could you just always leave some space free or justit be unpartitioned?

I have a Kingston drive that's going on 4 years now.

This.
Also this.
A UPS protects against far more than outages. Voltage spikes and drops happen silently and frequently regardless of where you are, and that shit kills components. A UPS protects you from these and many other power quality issues.

What a damn good roast

>buy a SanDisk SSD
>it fails after 3 months
>buy a Samsung one
>20% of the lifetime TBW used up already after a year
>go back to a 7200rpm hard drive
>everything feels the same
Meh

You have to leave 80% of ssd unused to spread out the p/e wear, otherwise it's toast after 18 months.

Bullshit. But they do slow down the more you fill them. Using 200GB of a 250GB SSD? Expect serious slowdown if so.

>tfw constantly paranoid about my software, and constantly running monitoring software like Crystaldiskinfo, CPU-Z and GPU-Z
>strip naked whenever I even touch the case, for risk of excess static destroying the internals
>wait an entire day after dusting the inside, for fear of any moisture causing a shortout
>keep her plugged in to a power surge protector at all times
>have the weather channel on standby to watch out for any lightning storms
HDD or SSD, it matters none to me. It won't help alleviate my paranoia over my system dying on me. And it's driving me nuts!

ssd is a joke.
modern hdd is more than enough for everyday tasks without any ssd drawbacks

Have you been tested for autism?

The trick is to treat your entire machine like a RAID array and have a complete backup ready on the side. Or a cheap throwaway system you do most of your day to day activities on.

anyone know how to move your home folder to another disk?

Environment variables on Windows, path that gets mounted as /home under Linux, no idea on Mac.

found it anyway

>found it anyway
lol found it anyway

>Bad Block Count of 94, before it was ever even used at all
Should have returned it.

I bet he also reads DC Comics.

Attached: Scribblenauts-Unmasked-Aquaman-27-Variant-Cover-DC-COMICS.jpg (1920x2953, 594K)

This. Never cheap out on your drive, especially solid state ones. It's almost as dumb as cheaping out on your power supply.

>low end products are bad
nice one OP

>buy cheap as fuck chink shit
>WHOA WHY IS IT SO SHIT
It's funny because you posting that npc image describes you more then does anyone else.

Retard advice. I've gotten a shit ton of stuff from ebay and it's fine.

>he takes screenshots before the write speed drops after working through the cached data

You have to have someone destroy your machine in front of you. It will fix your phobia.
I volunteer for the job.

get sandisk imho

Attached: Untitled.png (668x762, 80K)

Solid State Disk Disk Drives? Never heard of her!

Whats the best ssd brand?

>>SSD disk drives
nice bait

switched to an SSD a month ago. I still blame myself for not switching sooner. I was looking for a new laptop because the one I had was getting old and slow. I ordered a new one and realized it came wth an HDD and was kinda slow as well, so I bought an SSD. The thing turned crazy fast, so I decided to install the ssd in the old laptop just to see if it improves it as well, and it did, so I just ended up just returning the new laptop.

this gotta be bait.

Whats the best cheap shit 120 gb ssd? And is dram even important i just want a cheap os drive

you are a fucking idiot.

>heard of her!
lol heard of her!

Kingston 120GB for $20 CAD.

i'm not sure if voltage spikes are an issue either due to uk plugs having fuses

Attached: 1553289496472.jpg (788x1113, 144K)

Jow Forums BTFO out!

>I bought a Sandisk SSD PLUS 120gb yesterday, and when I installed the CrystalDiskInfo after OS instalation, it shows me that the value "Total Bad Block Count" is 150

Best Answer:
>there is always a margin of error, so its probably just a manufacturing defect, but the drive is perfectly healthy.

forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-with-bad-blocks.3309865/

Attached: melmol.jpg (960x960, 123K)

That's just Windows being shit, having shit file systems, and shitty programs that do too much IO.

Literally the cheapest sandisk been working on my machine for 5 years, a substantial part of that with the page file on the ssd cuz im retarded