Is this the future of computers?

Is this the future of computers?

Attached: 2019-04-08_22-00.png (2399x1141, 511K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KNzatcI9Fqw
youtube.com/watch?v=67Jm8IiwURQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably most of the Time.

So the laptop is empty inside except for the screen and keyboard?

nope. flexible touchscreens that expand by unrolling are the future. something like the phones from earth the final conflict

honestly I could see this being a thing

people pay $1k for a high end phone so they can show off (overly powered for their needs)

with this they can benefit from it without buying another $1k laptop

keyboard + screen is all the laptop needs, rest is powered by phone.

i could see apple doing this, charging like $500 for a case kek

microsoft did it first
youtube.com/watch?v=KNzatcI9Fqw

Looks like you have to keep holding the phone with one hand if you're using the laptop in your lap.

desu why doesn’t apple do this
pretty sure the xs is more powerful than the 12” MacBook, so someone could just dock it and use it
it would create a new use case, would probably finally upgrade my iphone

the problem with apple might be the software

this is the sort of thing I'm talking about

Attached: mobile-script_2_oIsuV_69.jpg (1000x652, 184K)

The concept most likely that "product" no, its isn't even new.

>longphone posting taken to the extreme.
Why?

Why would you want to carry around a laptop that REQUIRES the cellphone you are carrying around?
And wouldn't even perform as well as the dedicated laptop you could have instead. The fuck is this poor mans solution?

For casual scum, sure. Not for gentoomen though, not enough computing power.

that phone alone is great for Jow Forums browsing

>android
>future
no and no

give me royalties

Attached: dock.jpg (824x614, 41K)

Essentially

No. This whole thing seems like a solution to a non-existing problem

I mean I did back it, so I'll report in a few months in how it is anons

>le am I cool u guise!?
Fuck off retard.

>backed it
Literally why, if this thing isnt under $100 dollars I don't see a use for it over buying a normal laptop (something that most people who have a phone own)
Even if it IS under 100 I still dont see much of a use

just like how I'm empty inside

No, shit like that has been done before. the problem isn't the hardware, high end phones are more powerful than many modern ultra slim Facebook machines, but rather the software. Look at the just recent iPad Pro, it's pretty powerful, but you're stuck with shitty mobile apps that offer a fraction of their desktops pendant's functionality. No, Adobe, calling your shitty photo filter app Photoshop something does not make it equal to real Photoshop for Windows / OSX.

>Under $100
I know you're poor, but that's barely enough to pay for the screen alone, be a bit more realistic here
>Most people who have a phone own a laptop
I envy your sheltered view, so blissfully detached from reality

>doing work
>on a phone

This might be fine for technology as facebook machines, but for me it's not enough. Also, that price tag...

This is like the fifth Kickstarter for the same idea. For example, the Superbook.

I dont want a laptop with shitty android in it

From a consumer perspective, a good "laptop shell" with a good keyboard and a good screen and a battery which has a slot for a phone you can put in would be great if you had a standardized side. ie. new phone comes out and you've got more power when you use a laptop. You got the same documents and pictures and stuff regardless of what you use.

Nobody's going to make something like that. From a corporate viewpoint it's better to sell you a new laptop and a new phone every few years.

We're going back to terminals lads.
>imagine running this thing over the internet, instead of with a cable.
>imagine having the option to connect multiple of these to a single phone.
>imagine being able to connect to a computer instead of a phone.
I kinda want this. You could have a powerfull family computer and one of these for every family member. Timesharing would be back. Linux would make even more sense. Year of the Linux desktop is coming Jow Forumsuys.

Motorola already did this in 2011. Wish it would have caught on.

Attached: Motorola-Lapdock-100_01.jpg (640x454, 35K)

>I know you're poor, but that's barely enough to pay for the screen alone, be a bit more realistic here
What are you talking about, all I said was that this product is not worth shit no matter how much it costs in the end, but you MAYBE could justify buying it if it were under 100, for the sole fact that it would be a cheap alternative to a real laptop with a real operating system. If it goes for more than 100, a craptop from craigslist running any x86 OS would be more useful than this toy

Maybe. Right now it's too expensive when you could just put that money towards a laptop that actually has Windows. Samsung DeX is neat for a $15 cable but it's just a gimmick right now.

I mean, cuz I like the idea.
Why, is that so bad?

Why not just carry around a keyboard and just use your phone?
>why not JUST use your phone

>950XL master race reporting in

Kinda retarded. Maybe would be nice if it worked wirelessly

With everything in the cloud, this is irrelevant.

Already been done

No. But it's probably the replacement of the tablet.

Such docks existed since forever. I remember motorola atrix had one but it wasn't first.

Are you fucking serious
youtube.com/watch?v=67Jm8IiwURQ

This is kind of pointless if phones cant run stuff like photoshop and video editing heavy stuff. Maybe im wrong, are there apps that are comparable? sure to bait hipster techies for sure though.

Exactly, i dont get it, why not just have a fucking battery powered usb c monitor and a wireless keyboard that folds out as part of the cover at that point, heres the innovative shit, use the phone touchscreen as the TRACKPAD, so you dont have to carry a MOUSE.

BOOM That'll be twentieth millions kickstarter bux please, thnx bye.

Yep, as i said, why not just use a fucking usb c screen and the phone as the mouse.

Perhaps if phones had low power pc chips they could be a usb c/thunderbolt tethered gpu in the keyboard /screen dock and turn it into a high power gaming/editing/multimedia rig that way.

A cheap 25 dollar keyboard and trackpad in a laptop shell with a 50 dollar screen seems like a cool way to charge idiots who dont know any better 250-500 dollars though.

continium is much better. it's not just a dock for your android. it is truly a universal platform where border between phone and desktop is blurred.

Essentially... i just want the opportunity to build my own cloud and not rely on outside resources, fortunately most of the tools already exist.

Yeah but its only a matter of time until it becomes the standard. smartphones are pretty fast now or imagine the zotac pico pl225 that is optimized for raw performance that is smartphone sized but twice the specs ryzen style. as it exist now though its prime scammable territory.

Heavy stuff will be run off your company servers for corperate, or leased cloud for private users. Computers are effectively going to devolve into terminals for cloud and web apps. Well, i'm sure there will always be a enthusiast fringe of power users, but due to market shrinkage the typical PC would probably double in price to build.

It's shit.
How many Smartphone support MHL or micro HDMI, a few.

What is TDP, TJ MAX, throttling?

>I, I, don't even-

Project linda is a concept, for a couple of very specific phones, that will never go into production.

Nex Computer is considering doing that for future versions though.

I pre ordered one because I also pre ordered a librem 5. They seem like they'd work well together.

Is it THE future? I dunno, maybe if they make a 15" 2-in-1 shaped shell with a slot for the phone where the trackpad is and sets of rubber shims for your particular model, but even then, the machines doing heavy computation still have to exist in some form, so it can't be the future of all computers.

$50000 to make a laptop that doesn't work without plugging in a phone? Shit m8 I could do that for the cost of a hammer

It will probably be uncomfortable as fuck because th phone will get hot. But you can already do it with samsung dex

VNC/Remote Desktop exist.

Think of it more as a USB-C monitor, keyboard, trackpad, and hub, in one conveniently shaped package. For $200 I think that's reasonably priced. For $300 maybe not. You could essentially make the same thing with a USB-C portable display, a keyboard, and a 3 ring binder (or other similarly shaped hinged object), but IMO it wouldn't be quite as elegant as this and would cost about the same.

Yes but what happened to our non botnet Jow Forumsospel of truly freeware decentralized independent tools. its over

For 99 percent of people absolutely.

didn't Razer already do this?

Build your own, i'm sure enthusiast level tools will exist, and people like us will build a big box wired up with multiple GPUs and a threadripper-like processor and our client devices... be they something like a NUC, a self build tiny PC, a RasPi or a Phone/Tablet and tap into them to do our gaming, heavy computational lifting, graphics processing for rendering, etc.

Personal servers are the future of enthusiast computing.

the play button doenst work on your video

>200 usd
Fuck no.
Just get a big phone with a Bluetooth keyboard for 20 usd.
Then you just got a better notebook.

>sell an overpriced mobo less "laptop" with "non removable battery"
>sell another overpriced mobo less "laptop"
Why not?

No. Nobody wants an empty shell of a laptop for the price of a full laptop.

bluetooth keyboards are and always will be garbage

I see the light...

Incidentally they're saying you can easily remove the battery in this dock thing.

only for normies

Probably i have no idea m8.

whats wrong with this?
ok, the android experience wont be mindblowing, but then again, you dont have to use smartphone, as any SBC will do.

I could see this being thing in future.
Imagine if your stuff gets stolen but you have autobackup of your phone, and your phone is also your laptop. nice right?
It could also help with some people with broken screen, given that this will work plug and play

Im interested to see its insides, could there be space for rpiw

>No. Nobody wants an empty shell of a laptop for the price of a full laptop.

Dont be so fucking sure the normies and npcs wont eat that shit right up. People buy 1200-1500 dollar iphones and android phones every 12 months.

A 500 dollar phone connected laptop shell, would probably sell if it had marketing behind it.

So what happens to the non normies who dont use a phone for anything but tethering for mobile internet.

I, and i guess im not alone, couldnt give a fuck about the latest smartphone. id rather spend the 1000 dollars on other tech.

this has been done so many times
even palm tried to force something like this back in the day
predictably it always failed