/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

/t/'s Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: fglt.jpg (324x499, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2rdY4tTufxY
gnu.org/gnu/about-gnu.html
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Gentoo
zdnet.com/article/the-linux-desktop-is-in-trouble/
github.com/mockturtl/lmde-faq/wiki/Debian-and-Linux-Mint-Debian-Edition
pureos.net/
tracker.pureos.net/w/pureos/tips/install_kde/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>implying nginx is not cross-platform

Maybe a stupid question.

My laptop screen died, and since it's still on warranty, a technician will come look at it.
Now, since he will probably take the laptop away and give me a new one (they told me to back up my data), can I copy-paste the full hard drive on the new one ?

If I am stupid, how can I "save" my OS exactly as it is ? I don't want to spend two days to configure it again.

Can I make some sort of ISO ?...

Attached: Surprise 01.jpg (500x314, 64K)

I can't tell if this is an Ubuntu issue or a GNOME issue. But is there a way to make file dialog boxes view thumbnails like the way your file manager does? For example, if I'm trying to post a screenshot from a folder of 900 other screenshots, it's a bitch to find the one that I want without a thumbnail.

Basically, I want to go from the left to the right in pic related.

Attached: 1554639369909.png (1882x648, 64K)

New to Linux.
Mesa3D ver. right now: 18.2.8
Want to update to 19.0.1 (or 19.1.0-devel)
GPU: RX 570

How? Also, can I use the terminal to do that?
Thanks. :)

> You cannot run nginx on windows
But you can, although it's more of a PoC, no support and it lacks features.

Want to use freesync and using debian stable, I assume this is the proper way to do what I want to achieve?
install linux-image-5.0* and mesa-19 from experimental repos then remove --purge old kernel and mesa?

Migrating to Linux
Asus laptop:
ram 4gb
intel core-i5 3217 1.8ghz
hdd 500
mediatek mt7630 wireless adapter(laggy and buggy shit, so I prefer to use cheap USB wifi adapter from tp-link)

Ubuntu LTS, Xubuntu LTS or Lubuntu LTS?
Tried Debian Live with non-free firmware, but wicd decided to not connect to wifi, and trisquel mini does not support driver for both wireless card and usb adapter.

Each version of Ubuntu is the same writh a defiant "desktop."
XFCE and LXQT will feel more familiar to you as would KDE.

Wifi form makes other then (((Intel))) can be uncooperative but Ubuntu is genially good about working writh non-free hardware.

Neither. PCLinuxOS.

if a webapp only runs on internet explorer and safari then what the fuck can I do on ubuntu since neither of those I can install

Install Gentoo.

>/flt/

Attached: 1241928491024891028.png (621x467, 193K)

dear sean.. u c.. every1 is difrent..
as a gamer ive exp alot of predjujizzes..
what realy maters i8s taht u stay
tru 2 who you r.. no1 taht makes fun of u
4 taht is a toal..

youtube.com/watch?v=2rdY4tTufxY

Attached: fd.png (769x452, 224K)

So you're telling me that an engine without the rest of a car is just as usefull as a car if you need to drive 100 miles?

ok, i'm in a real stupid situation.
just installed herbstluftwm and opened it, believing I would find out how shit is done through my phone, but now I can't do anything, the alt+return doesn't do anything and I'm just lost. don't want to hard reboot though, what do?

Try Super+Return (Super being the Windows Key, probably).

Well, the problem probably is that I run it from VirtualBox. It doesn't work somehow

Can someone post their sources.list for LMDE? I screwed mine up and can't get x to start

>need to plug in HDMI cable
>oh okay that should be a quick X11 edit
>edit files
>brick laptop
>chroot in and delete files
>laptop only works via a tty and startx shows nothing
Fuck. I tired uninstall and reinstalling Xorg but I still get nothing. What should I delete and reinstall to have a clean slate? how do I get rid of fucked config files? I'm on debian with openbox
Thanks anons

Install Microsoft Windows.

>linux
thanks for doing gods work putting the monkeying stallmandrones in their place OP :3

Attached: 1b84899f98a3644e6b9b9762467449ed1d647329ebaeccfeae61e4494a5f42f4.jpg (953x1048, 139K)

Anyone know any good video editors for Linux. Its the only thing holding me back from fully switching. I used to use Premiere Pro, anything similar?
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Attached: pete-burns.jpg (512x709, 116K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

So I am kinda new and I just wanted to ask where all the programs/commands are that I can use, just bin and sbin or also in different palces?

ubuntu is shit use mint or manjaro

kdenlive should have everything you need

i want to play around with compiler stuff for the hell of it.
How would i pull in the base packages and then compile them with the package manager without harming the system?
Is there some legit way to do this then some janky shit with a for loop running each build config in a folder?

> ubuntu is shit use mint
lel

still better than ubuntu

About the GNU Operating System:
gnu.org/gnu/about-gnu.html

The relationship between GNU and Linux:
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Why the ‘Linux system’ should be called GNU/Linux:
gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

GNU Users Who Have Never Heard of GNU:
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html

A GNU/Linux FAQ:
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

Attached: 1552394839984.jpg (347x1023, 40K)

Is this the kernel hacking thread?

Is there a way to see if there are any forked projects on github that are ahead in commits from the forked repo?

Please disregard this.

Hello there, Jow Forums.
I was using Arch but now I'm tired of copypasting commands and not learning something.
I'm going to install Gentoo on my X200. Anything that I should know before going full ball deep?

Read the wiki.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Gentoo

Hello guys. I am new to Linux, but I would like to try it. Which distribution do you reccomend? I will use it for daily usage and Java & Android development. Also wanna try some Python dev.

zdnet.com/article/the-linux-desktop-is-in-trouble/

I kind of agree, there needs to be more universal things between distributions. A lot of the reason i stick with Ubuntu is because it has a ton of support and is the typical "target" for third party linux software.

Android

the linux mobile does not have this problem

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis-take in your post. Luckily, the users of GNU/Linux are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have referred to the GNU/Linux system as "Linux", but Linux is just a part of the system! Whoops! Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. You should always remember to say or write "GNU/Linux", unless you are referring to the kernel "Linux" alone!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to your new operating system!

After playing around with KDE quite a bit I concluded that there's no way to make it perform well. I tried quite a bit of shit and I cannot make my RX570 give it enough dick to chew on so that it can have no stutter, no input lag and no tearing on any applications. The only effective way I found is by using tearfree and disabling composition which is not exactly what I'm after.

Anyways I'm looking for a different DE. GNOME by default always seemed really limited and the last time I tried it (around 2 weeks ago) it also had a case of the stutters. Any recommendations?

I'd just like to interject for a moment.
What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it.
Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system.
Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux.
All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: rms.jpg (720x960, 61K)

is it possible to have a conversation without this meme constantly being spammed?

>LMDE
I don't use it fren but i hope this helps github.com/mockturtl/lmde-faq/wiki/Debian-and-Linux-Mint-Debian-Edition
the right way to fix this is finding their source repository and copying their sources.list

>there needs to be more universal things between distributions
You mean the same toolchains that compile the same source code in to the same binaries that the same people use to then use the system?
Distros are a personal preference, everything else is standardized

hook up an identical drive, slap in a live version of linux, dd that fucker over, take out copypastad drive

linux is a kernel

B-but my libs and deps!
Why isn't everything like Winshit.. . .,.,.,.,

What is the best GNU/Linux-libre distro? I've heard that Parabola is good. I think Arch and its derivatives are for faggots though. Not big on muh power user meme. I've been using Debian and want to switch. Bonus points if if supports KDE.

PureOS (Debian fork)
KDE is not installed by default, but it's available on the repos and it just takes a few commands to set up.
pureos.net/
tracker.pureos.net/w/pureos/tips/install_kde/

Dont use a cucked distro like debian that turns a 5kb package in to 50 split packages for who the fuck knows why.

How do you use the curly braces with grep? Whenever I try it gives me nothing or things that don't actually apply to my search.

For example
grep '{2}line' file.txt
gives nothing even if there is a line with 2 instances of the word line.

I tried adding the -E option, but that just makes it give me lines with only one instance of line.

Is there a way i can login to say 20 websites, alter the expiration date to a far off date and then export this to a cloud storage and then download them to different devices and maintain the session?

> Cucked
> Debian
Ha

Attached: 1542783144259.jpg (680x794, 71K)

manual line 240:
>Repetition
>...
>{n} The preceding item is matched exactly n times.

IE can run in wine I believe. If you don't want to use wine it's possible that the webapp could run on a different webkit-based browser like epiphany.

>preceding
I sure am dumb.

>gnu
>freedumbs
fuck off

>need to plug in HDMI cable
>oh okay that should be a quick X11 edit

Wtf, what did you need to do that required a written change. A cable plugging into a monitor will just work, if nothing just use the displays applet that comes with 99% of distros to turn it on.

You want my Unix fundamentals notes?

Does anybody know of a good way to implement a NAS on Linux?

I want to try Linux From Scratch this weekend while I'm stuck at work. Anyone else try it? How did it go?

Installing Linux from scratch is pretty easy. First you need an operating system, install it and then install Linux from your package manager. Since you're new, try Ubuntu. You can install Linux by running the command
sudo apt install linux-image-generic

Anyone else having issues with Fedora 29 freezing? Both on Gnome and KDE?

Separate /home makes upgrade/reinstall/backups easier, for nearly zero downsides.

retard

Wow, never see this place on page 10.

Anyone?

Where can I find a gentoo manual besides the official one?

It's a GNOME issue. KDE does that.

I was referring more to Ubuntu's shitty homebrew of GNOME.

PCLinuxOS

shitty distro and shitty name
overall, shitty post

Is there a benefit to switching to Manjaro from Mint? I'm saying Manjaro because I don't actually wanna bother installing Arch and the like.

Yes, Mint is literal botnet.

Alright, followup question: can I just replace Mint by installing Manjaro on it's current partition? I'm dual booting, and don't want to break stuff.

You mean that it's somehow got worse recently? Before it was just the worst kind of frankendebian

Best current AUR helper? I was going to install yaourt or pacaur but apparently both are deprecated

Install Gentoo.

How can I turn my "fn" key into a toggle key like shift or ctrl in i3?

there is a new dev for pacaur
But yay is exceptionally better