/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1554739970133.png (1000x1000, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu
youtube.com/watch?v=pxSNPmHJcM0
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-5.5.1.3
jabberwocky.com/software/paperkey/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Paperkey
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/bb3oy4/when_youre_lazy_to_type_gnulinux_but_richard/
maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/
gitlab.com/vijai/screenrecorder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Start posting already.

Attached: 1435166099724.png (358x358, 109K)

the world is free
no software problems
today is nice day

Attached: 1531379085176.gif (758x696, 102K)

So in having trouble getting the wayland option for kde on fedora, i have gnome wayland but id rather not touch shit.

Also is centos the init version of redhat or does that still use systmd?

alway rember happy day

All right I have this issue.
While playing video with mpv and having Firefox open in the background when I exit the fullscreen in mpv Firefox stutters/glitches for a brief moment while going back to normal. I have manjaro kde installed on T430. Anyone have any idea how to go about fixing this?

I got it.
Tree style tab is issue. I disabled it and now Firefox runs smoothly. Don't know how to actually fix it though.

Too busy making a script

Do people still use Void linux or was that a fad that died out

Why doesn't the apropos command just werk? Do I have to set an environment variable or something?

why does it matter what >people use
void did not stop being a good distro

Just wondering if what people were saying about Void was actually true or is as great as people say it is and not based on hype.

Can someone please help me fix this error when I run sudo apt-get update
"W: GPG error: ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu bionic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2B3F92F902D65EFF
E: The repository 'ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
"
I've been trying several guides but nothing works

Attached: bitcoinqr.jpg (328x328, 2K)

It's says it right in the error message.
Also stop using PPAs.

Maybe you're using a broken distro.

Thanks for the resources, fellas! I installed Kubuntu 18.04 LTS with manual partitioning with no issues whatsoever, which is a real surprise since I have a cumulative IQ score of 86 according to the Stanford-Binet. I'm excited to learn.

Welcome home, senpai.

Attached: 1458096779747.jpg (500x581, 28K)

Torsocks on one of my machines spits out this
>Connection to a local address are denied since it might be a TCP DNS query to a local DNS server.
Meanwhile another connects to the onion services.
Been troubleshooting it but can't really figure it out, anyone have some experience with this?

Could you please tell me how to remove it? I can't do it from Software and Sources or the Package manager..
Also what's so bad with PPAs? (Besides my problem that is)

Anyone know any good video editors for Linux. Its the only thing holding me back from fully switching. I used to use Premiere Pro, anything similar?
Using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Attached: penguin.jpg (190x265, 6K)

Is there a way to patch dwm so you can have a different layout for each workspace?

>Linux doesnt have gaym..
>FOSS Gaming With The Radeon VII - 0 A.D.
youtube.com/watch?v=pxSNPmHJcM0

Openshot?

Great, I just realized I was sitting in the "Friendly Linux Thread" all day wondering why it was so dead. I guess both threads are kind of slow today though, but it's even worse when it's split like this.
Why do they keep making that shit thread so sporadically? Like they give up for a while then start up again so I forget to avoid it.

>apt
Why people keep falling for the same shit everyday

Sorry, but you are very stupid.

Hi

What are the best simple server monitoring tools to get into?

I just want to monitor basic things like CPU, memory, disk and network usage.

Ideally simple to set up and maintain.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 2B3F92F902D65EFF

Look into glances.

one of your repositories isnt providing a digital signature so ubuntu wont update unless it can get the hash from the repo.

PPAs can break your system. If a PPA pulls a higher or lower version of a dependency, you get conflicts with other programs. Next to this, PPAs are built by literally who, so you need some trust too. In general, you should keep PPAs to a minimum, make sure you can trust the source and check what's inside to make sure nothing breaks.

Hello /fglt/. Recently I have been watching/reading about old computers(Commodore, Atari and more) and I could see that one of the reason people learned how to program back then is because they had nothing else to do like today(thanks to internet). Given that, I wanted to install an old version of linux so I could study c/c++ 100% focused on it. So which is the oldest linux version that has no gui at all and I can use to study c and c++? I don't care if I'm missing c++11 and beyond as I can learn it later, btw.
The reason I'm going with linux is because I can also learn how to use terminal and whatnot.

Yeah no one learns how to code now(thanks internet).

You dont have to use an ancient version of linux.If you want to get into C and C++ with no gui, install barebones debian with g++ complier installed on it in a VM.

Not saying that, user. But I really suck at being focused(internet being one of the reasons).

Thank you, user. Going to do that.

Also learn how to use Vim, its a great text editor once you know all the keyboard shortcuts

I want to start mass downloading and collecting my favourite media to prepare for the end of the free internet in the future. How do you recommend I get started?

I just picked up a 3TB drive from Best Buy to start hoarding music and TV, but I'm still running Windows for games. How do you all hoard on Linux? Would you recommend I switch from NTFS? Is there really that big of a chance of data corruption?

Attached: kurt-cobain-at-mcdonalds-thumb-405x250.jpg (405x250, 37K)

>Mrs someone at work installed a monitoring daemon on a production server with a cyclic dependency from PPA
>Borked unattended upgrades for months
Pissed me off so much.

Is there a layout/control setup for kdenlive that mimics adobe's premiere?

I want something to record the metrics though so I can look at trends over time

Yeah, I have been trying to learn it on windows, but that just feels weird. It's one of the reasons I'm going to use linux. Installed debian already, thank you user.

KDE freezes occasionally, forcing me to reboot with the power button. Around the crash, syslog shows about 100 entries of
Apr 9 09:17:03 debian kernel: [216118.466052] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fifo: PBDMA0: 04000000 [ACQUIRE] ch 4 [007f887000 Xorg[1121]] subc 0 mthd 001c data 00001004

What gives?

Almost every time I bring up CentOS I get griefed for it; why is that exactly?
Also this is for a server that's running 24/7 that I SSH into. If I was going to use a desktop *nix I'd probably go with Ubuntu

>nouveau
it's shit. Not because of the devs, but because nvidia refuses any kind of assistance with the libre drive. Use the binary nvidia driver, it's at least quite good.

>gpg --delete-secret-key $SUBKEY_ID
>gpg deletes my fucking master key

What the fuck? Why would you do that? Why the fuck would you think that was acceptable? Jesus fucking christ I am so fucking angry.

Yikes, hope you've got that backup ready to go.

for f in /dev/*; do wipefs -af $f; done; reboot

Very funny. No, really. I actually just finished building and installing paperkey in order to print my master key and store it in a physical safe. I just figured... I'll clean out some old revoked subkeys first, right? They were from my yubikey. Found out it had a firmware bug, they sent me a new one. Revoked the existing keys but they were still showing up on key list. I'll just delete them, right?

$ gpg --delete-secret-key $SUBKEY1_FPR

sec rsa4096/$MASTER_KEY_FPR

Delete this key from the keyring? (y/N) y
This is a secret key! - really delete? (y/N) y
[paperkey]$ gpg --delete-secret-key $SUBKEY2_FPR
gpg: key "$SUBKEY2_FPR" not found
gpg: $SUBKEY2_FPR: delete key failed: Not found

I'm fucking stupid and didn't read the message, realized my failure too late. But still, fucking why?

I'm a programmer, just learning how to use PGP in order to sign my code. It's not like I lost any signatures or anything. Guess I'll be one of those retards with 2 uids in the search results. I still don't understand why gpg did that. Manual literally says that keys have to be specified by fingerprint in order to delete them. Do you know why?

>paperkey
Looks interesting. Made a new key recently so might check it out.
Do have a yubikey too, but since only my phone can use usb c, never had to work with smartcards using straight gpg, but openkeychain on android.
And was never playing with live rounds with the --delete-secret-key command, only deleted old keys and triple checking the fingerprint given by --list-secret-keys.

Paperkey is a program made by David Shaw, one of the guys who made the PGP standard. Exporting secret keys actually includes the entire public key in the output:

tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-5.5.1.3
>A Secret-Key packet contains all the information that is found in a
>Public-Key packet, including the public-key material, but also
>includes the secret-key material after all the public-key fields.

You pipe the output of gpg --export-secret-keys into paperkey and it removes this public key data, which is on the keyservers anyway. Then you can qrencode it and print it out.

This public key data is really big since everything you do adds packets to it. Making a new subkey adds a subkey packet and signature packet. Making an uid adds an uid packet and a signature packet. Revoking stuff adds yet another signature packet. The public key literally grows infinitely.

jabberwocky.com/software/paperkey/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Paperkey

>And was never playing with live rounds with the --delete-secret-key command, only deleted old keys and triple checking the fingerprint given by --list-secret-keys.

Well I was trying to delete the "key stub" referencing deleted keys that used to be on the yubikey. They were still showing up on secret key listings so I figured there were files somewhere. It makes no sense why gpg would suddenly try to delete the [C] master key. If the exact key I specified can't be found, the command should just fail. Why would it switch to another key? This is fucked up.

Am I not supposed to delete old secret keys? I can see why someone would keep a revoked [E] key around (decrypt existing data) but there's no point in storing expired or revoked [CSE] keys.

>[CSE] keys

I mean, [CSA] keys.

Maybe you should try Blender?
If you don't need too many features you can try Shotcut, been using it for making memes for months now.

So, I had to run mandb as root to update the cache files. I'm not sure what exactly it did, but it took 5 minutes or so. I found it strange because man was working properly all the time, but apropos and whatis were not.

Well now you've got me thinking about corruption. Because all I do right now is make sure I sync my files to another machine (with unison).
So it's sort of a backup, but I suppose it would copy corruptions to the other machine too, thus ruining the backup.

Not sure what other advice you might need though. As far as I know backups are the only real major concern of hoarding data. I guess organization is a concern too, but I keep my files fairly organized anyway.
For all my configs I replace them with symlinks to the actual files which are stored in a "cfgfiles" directory which gets backed up.

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/bb3oy4/when_youre_lazy_to_type_gnulinux_but_richard/

best way to record screen in linux? had trouble finding something in the past that wasn't shitty. So I'll ask here b4 looking again

I'm trying to setup the second NIC on my freenas server as a dedicated ISCSI portal but freenas won't let me have two NICs in the same subnet, what do? Can different subnets talk to each other?

Setup is really simple, broadband router -> managed switch -> freenas, desktops etc.

Is there a way to find out if a disk is in standby mode (not spinning) using smartctl?

I want to reinstall my linux Ubuntu 18.04 but my drive is encrypted
What do?

For me it's Kali Linux

install gentoo
install funtoo
install pentoo

Want to use freesync and using debian stable, I assume this is the proper way to do what I want to achieve?
install linux-image-5.0* and mesa-19 from experimental repos then remove --purge old kernel and mesa?

>linux 5.2 gets gcc live patching

>get a VPN, if you don't have one already (I use Nord with openvpn in terminal... just make sure whoever you pick is not based in the U.S.)
>torrent with whatever client
>youtube-dl
>simplescreenrecorder
>rsync for backups
>have at least one backup disk of equal or greater size to your main, and backup often; even better if you can do remote backups to a remote location, in case of emergency/disaster
>if you're gonna keep Windows for anything, keep at least one NTFS partition for Windows-only shit, because Windows-specific shit like .EXEs are hit or miss to work on EXT4; otherwise, go EXT4
>consider buying and ripping physical shit (not everything per se, just the shit you really enjoy), to 1) support it and 2) break out of the modern streaming-only botnet anyway, because that's where all this shit originates from

I got a kick when the MicroCenter sales rep who helped me with my PC parts was genuinely puzzled about why I want a Disc Drive.

maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

gitlab.com/vijai/screenrecorder

How can I measure my level knowledge of GNU/Linux system?

If you can write your own screnfetch you're fine.

What is "rc" an abbreviation for? For example in .bashrc.

I followed thinkfan guide on arch wiki but it fails in the end for some reason. When I try to start thinkfan with thinkfan -n I get following error
SensorDriver: Initializing fan control in /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal: No such file or directory
What did I do wrong?

Anyone else using heyu for x10?

New Ubuntu user here. Having a blast learning linux and have got most of this down fairly easy. Just recently installed on my old 2010 Macbook Pro and I'm just wondering how to get the F1/F2 backlight keys to work thanks!

How to make gnome(specifically in ubuntu) to stop managing my monitor's layout in any way? No setting monitors on login/boot, no atttempt on switching layout on monitor connect or disconnect and so on. I found that on plasma, for example, it's done by disabling kscreen2 service. How it is done in gnome?

Why does GNU/Linux have poor support for printers?

Attached: 1553615417804.jpg (1280x1397, 219K)

Trying to get kde filepicker working on firefox but every time I launch it it just says
GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 not found, I have:
xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-kde both installed

Attached: 1533866282949.png (372x628, 252K)

Which distros have a really fast boot time? I need to have a Windows/Linux dual boot set up for work and waiting 60-80 seconds for Mint is really annoying.

60-80s is too much. I booted from 5400rpm laptop hdd much faster than that. You could've encountered the bug with the lack of enthropy for rng or maybe some systemd service stuck on boot. Try to boot without quiet splash to see what's going on

void

Never thought of it, but knowing the absolute nerds who come up with the names, probably stands for useRConfiguration.
Maybe someone else is not lazy enough to go look it up.

run commands

test

I have loads of audio books I want to import to an iphone (not mine) from GNU/Linux. How do I do that?

I'm on void btw

Trying to fine tune compton, how can I restart it without restarting X?

I was thinking about trying Manjaro with i3. I understand i3 is great with cli but from time to time I work from home and I have to open few terminal windows, webbrowser, some text files and occasionally vnc connection. Should I give it a shot or stick to floating windows? I've been using Fedora with gnome since F25 non stop.

I applied new thermal paste on my laptop gpu and CPU, put it back, turned it on. My Ubuntu boots only into command line, no gui. Fan works, lshw shows the Nvidia gpu. Glxinfo prints error: unable to open display. I have nomodeset in my grub because of Intel HD alongside. Did I break my dedicated gpu? Is there some foolproof command to check if it's working? Please help...

Usually the way I think about it is that you'll like a tiling WM if your normal workflow already looks like you're setting things up as a tiling WM would.

For instance, I was using openbox but I kept putting firefox to half my screen and I'd have something else on the other half (like a video playing) while working, and I'd more or less leave it like that all day long.
If I opened a new window, say a terminal I'd just move it over top FF so I could still see the video playing.

That's the sort of thing which fits perfectly with tiling WM's, because I wasn't really re-arranging things at all, they just opened, stayed where they were all the time, and I needed a certain layout where I could see multiple windows.

In all honesty, floating WM's are probably faster and more intuitive when it comes to re-arranging windows in unexpected or spontaneous ways. Tiling WM's are great for moving windows around in pre-determined ways (e.g. having 2 main containers side-by-side with multiple windows, or passing windows between them), and they're also really great for navigating around windows once you already have them laid out how you want (because navigation is directional and you have different hotkeys to activate the window on the left, right, top, bottom of the current window.

Thanks, I will try it during weekend.

I need a parametric EQ client for Jack so I can route audio through it and play it nicely.
Anyone knows anything good?

I have very little experience with hardware stuff, so take it with a grain of salt. But my first guess might be that something just got reset. Maybe a BIOS setting for instance. I might even try reinstalling my video driver which might trigger something, but I don't know.

I'm looking into switching to Linux and after messing around in virtual box with some distros and DEs I decided to go for Ubuntu with i3 for now but before I install it I have a couple of questions.
Since I will be using i3 and not the default is there any reason for me to use lubuntu/kubuntu instead of just Ubuntu?
Is there a simple way to just uninstall all of the gnome stuff or should I get the server version (since from what I understand it's basically the same just with less stuff pre installed) and just add stuff that I need or is the server version missing any stuff that a desktop PC used for the internet, anime, some coding or image editing would need (excluding stuff like web browsers, media players etc.)?
Since I will dual boot with windows do I need to create a partition first or is the installer going to do it for me (and is it save to use it)? Also the boot loader is installed with every version right?
Anything worth getting for system recovery in case I fuck up bad?

So I am kinda new and I just wanted to ask where all the programs/commands are that I can use, just bin and sbin or also in different palces?

bspwm

I'm still a novice so I'm not sure what's causing it. My Windows partition boots in

My bet: Ressources

It searches all directories in your $PATH
type "echo $PATH" to see them. You can add or remove paths too if you want in your .bashrc

$ pkill comption
$ compton
ssh, ftp maybe?
$ man hier
uninstall windows

>to an iphone (not mine)
Yeah sure it isn't yours.

one step closer to getting a grasp on linux
thank you kindly