Honestly...

Honestly, after mastering Emacs( with ebil mode ) watching other people struggle with mice / trackpads to copy-paste shit around looks like boomers typing "google" into google.

Attached: spacemacs.png (1380x718, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

teamten.com/lawrence/writings/java-for-everything.html
marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tootone.org-mode
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I felt the same way after mastering Vim OP.
I head a lot of good things about Emacs, but I should learn Emacs to shape my own opinion and not throw myself in useless flamewars.
I'm a minimalist, so the only thing I fear is the bloat.
How long did it take you to learn Emacs ?

Attached: 06e2286b8f7aa21fed1e6aa8ffb894d8.jpg (638x624, 89K)

>spacemacs
yikes

The time spent typing / navigating code is a minimal part of development. Far more time is spent thinking than editing. Unless you're merely banging out HTML, in which case, hey use whatever's efficient I guess.

Also, you'd want to factor in the time it takes to configure an editor with useful plugins, learn to use them, etc. All time that, for others, might be better spent being productive in other areas.

I can think of some cases where I'd want an advanced console editor, but for the most part I'm happy to use whatever's receiving the most development focus on any platform, which is increasingly vscode.

It's certainly good enough for that 5% of the time (or whatever it is) that I'm typing, vs. thinking about what actually needs to be done.

Basic concepts in a day, about a week to start feeling comfortable in it, and I'm still learning.
The reason I chose Emacs over Vim is because I wanted batteries included, not a fan of minimalism. Emacs is the only IDE I know of that functions like an infinitely extandable workshop, that you can tailor to your specific needs with Elisp. You can think about it not as much as an editor, but as an Elisp interpreter that has some IDE shipped out of the box. Over the years my init.el grows with new functionality that I wrote, with new packages that I found useful, with features that I don't find useful disabled, with keybindings that call my code eventually becoming ingrained in muscle memory.

vscode is only an option for some languages, mostly main stream ones. many of the plugins are immature, buggy, or non-existent.

Keep making up excuses. Emacs is not only a text editor, you know. For example, I use org mode to plan my day, plan working on tasks, codeblocks are lit, being able to link a position in file in an org file is lit, being able to quickly record a thought without leaving the file you're working on etc.

It takes less time to use VS Code than it is to use Emacs or vim. With all the time it takes to master those things, you could have just wrote software.

>with all the time it takes to learn programming it's easier to just suck cock for money
>time spent learning coding could be better spent learning new cocksucking techniques
It's an investment. You spend time to learn in the present so that you're better of in the future.

To make a good analogy Laravel should be morbidly obese, while Symphony being just overly obese.

Right. And while other people are autistically trying to create the perfect text editing workbench, I'm learning new programming languages or actually writing software.
Lifespan is finite, so it's a choice how we want to spend it.

No. teamten.com/lawrence/writings/java-for-everything.html You're on the same end as scripting faggots.

Also
>copying stuff

These.

Still a way better state than in emacs. And that goes for all repositories you could add. Hell, jEdits repos are probably in a better state than emacs ones.

>It's an investment
no, it's called bad UX.
programmable editors were existed for ages, but it tooks vs code only few years to be the most popular. this is prove how useless vim, emacs are.

>programmable editors were existed for ages, but it tooks vs code only few years to be the most popular. this is prove how useless vim, emacs are.
This, like many UNIXy tools they are revealed to be garbage, technically as well as UX wise.

>popularity=quality
Moron

Why are you responding to yourself?

>less support = higher quality
Moron

>Still a way better state than in emacs.
No proper support for linting and automatic formatting is an improvement? I guess this is the quality VSCode users expect from their tools.
If I'm going to use an IDE, It will be specifically made for the language with all of the features working correctly with each other. Not some hodgepodge of plugins which routinely break and has incompatibilities with each other. VSCode was made for webdev, and it's fine for that. For anything else, there are better alternatives.

Hi, it was me, your lovely OP that sucks dicks.

$5 says he's rewriting the entire fucking project with currently_hyped_framework.js because he read about it on a blog as we speak.

>No proper support for linting and automatic formatting is an improvement?
VSCode had proper statical checkers and autoformatting from day 0. Emacs on the other hand has shitty clang plugins at best.
> For anything else, there are better alternatives.
Like real IDEs.

Because the Emacs audience isn't a bunch of drones. It's mostly hackers, many of them mature, who develop their own tools and share them with their peers. Emacs is one of the oldest pieces of software in use, it's continued use is a testament to it's relevancy.

Why are you responding to yourself?

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (1183x413, 59K)

>VSCode had proper statical checkers and autoformatting from day 0.
Through plugins. Trying to use Haskell in VSCode was the last straw, the plugins just didn't work or were buggy and slow. I had to learn Emacs because there was no alternative.
>Emacs on the other hand has shitty clang plugins at best.
This is literally what VSCode uses also under the hood dingus.

>Emacs on the other hand has shitty clang plugins at best.
I use Flycheck. Problems weren't.

>It's mostly useless spergs that create lisp implementations but no other lisp program, most of them NEETBUX receivers that don't even have anything to note into their orgmode, who extend emacs therapist scripts and share them with other useless retards.

>Emacs is one of the oldest pieces of shit in use, it's continued use is a testament to my own appeal to masses argumentum.
FTFY

>Through plugins. Trying to use Haskell
Topkek.
>This is literally what VSCode uses also under the hood dingus.
Actually, VSCode has good clang plugins.

>navigating code is a minimal part of development
NEET detected

Just use CTags and grep like God intended

Attached: 1554163975620.png (1000x1000, 243K)

Can we all just take a moment to marvel in the fact that the messiah of text editors has come to save us and it was created by Microsoft of all people?

VSCode is a rebranded Atom though.

Couldn't be more wrong if you tried

But you're not better. There's nothing vim and Emacs can do that VS Code can't. Emacs can't even force tabs. You have to manually mess with every major and minor mode and sometimes it's not even possible without extensive knowledge of lips. After years of vim and Emacs I went to VS Code and use Nano for the rare times that I need to be in the terminal.

M$ took Atom and added their own Intellisense/Botnet to it and re-skinned it to look like windows 10 crap. And now they are doing the same with chromium.
Of course windrones can't comprehend that microsoft would try passing off the work of others as their own after realizing their own products were unpopular.

>force tabs
What's that? Are you talking about dedicating windows?

>There's nothing vim and Emacs can do that VS Code can't.
org-mode, you lying faggot

Clearly you haven't used either. It's written from thru ground up as a competing product. It didn't have any of the stupid bugs Atom did.

No, I mean name a way to make Emacs always insert a tab regardless of mode instead of spaces.

>Muh org mode
marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tootone.org-mode
Seems like it's in development but it's there.

>Seems like it's in development but it's there.
A poor facsimile which can't even be fully implemented due to limitations in VSCode.
No reason for an emacs user to use this.

(add-hook 'after-save-hook 'tabify)

>Muh org mode
It'll never be fully ported because of the limitations of VS Code. I'm telling you windows has a shit ton of software, you're telling me Linux has Gimp.

kek

Generously assuming you learn your first text editor at 16 years old, and given that no one actually used VS Code until 2017, everyone born before 9/11 should be using VIM or Emacs.

I vomited a little
Can we use Clojure instead?

>grep
>not ag like god wanted for you
The future is now, old man

hey emacs master I have a question

Running i3
I have bindsym $mod+e exec emacs which runs fine
however when I type: sudo emacs *file* it runs as it is not reading my .emacs file. No melpa no theme

>It takes less time to use VS Code than it is to use Emacs or vim.
It takes a few hours to get started in either of those, it's not a big investment.

I meant to say if you use spacemacs in the case of emacs, otherwise it's maybe a different story.