/spg/ - Smartphone General

Nokia X71 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: nokia_x71_1.png (1112x1298, 1.93M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mi.com/global/redmi-note-7/specs/
samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-active-64gb--at-t--meteor-gray-sm-g892azaaatt/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tell me about AirMessage
Is it even that good?

My >new xz1 finally arrived. What do?

uninstall bloatware with ADB. download fluid navigation gestures and hide the nav bar.

What's the best chinkphone below $200 with good community support?
I want to get my dad a new phone but I'm not wasting money on a phone that will be pretty much useless 2 years from now.

Anything Xiaomi then, because they're so developer friendly.

If you're in the US Moto X4 is probably the best option, compatible with all the major US carriers. Outside the US Xiaomi is the best option for cheap phones with good community support.

Im gonna get a Mi Mix 2s in a week. Should I use the default OS or should I try Xiaomi.eu Custom ROM on it?

Xiaomi.eu is basically improved stock, so if you feel like experimenting try something different and then flash xiaomi.eu if you decide you'd prefer MIUI.

aw man, the xiaomi note 7 has no band20?! what gives?

it does in the global version:
mi.com/global/redmi-note-7/specs/
>B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28

Here's a question: what video format would be the most battery-friendly? I assume x265 encoded movies would be too CPU-intensive and eat up battery life...
x264 mkv? mp4?

Ah I see, for some reason amazon didn't show the global version then. Thanks!

How do i know which one is bloatware

Is samsung s8 active good

hot meme

Any preinstalled app you don't want or use is bloatware. I had a XZ1C and it had shit like Amazon, Facebook, Spotify etc. preinstalled and useless Sony apps like What's New that kept spamming notifications. Not to mention all the Google apps.

It's trash, breaks really easily for a phone that's supposedly a "durable" phone, just look at all these negative reviews:
samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-active-64gb--at-t--meteor-gray-sm-g892azaaatt/

I just lost my phone (Motorola moto g, can't remember which version) and I think I'm going to buy a new Motorola. Which one should I buy? I'd prefer to keep it in the 200-250 euro range, and I'm not a big fan of the new notch display trend, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I have an old MotoG 1st Gen LTE that I don't use, and I want to turn it into a dedicated Music player, a few questions:

>Is there an OS that is suited to just being used for playing music?
>There is no sim currently, appart from the obvious no data and calls, is there any reason I would need one?
>I'm not sure if I am using a stock OS or I changed it, also the phones bootloader is unlocked, if I reformat the memory, is there a chance it could create issues if I am using a non stock OS?

Probably x264 regardless of container used

Recent Snapdragon SoCs all have x265 hardware decoding so it shouldn't drain your battery

Motorola phones aren't really the best value anymore, I'd suggest Xiaomi or Nokia instead, Redmi Note 7 or Nokia 7 Plus for example. If you want a Motorola I'd get the Moto G7 Power, at least it's got the battery life going for it.

sweet, thanks. I assume the vlc app is the best option still?

>If you want a Motorola I'd get the Moto G7 Power, at least it's got the battery life going for it.
720p screen is gonna look bad though, for the same price he could get the Zenfone Max Pro M1 which is simply the better phone

good point, forgot about the Asus actually, another phone I'd buy over anything Motorola.

Moto X4 is pretty cheap
I also have a 1st gen Moto G. I use it for an alarm clock. I was going to unlock and root and all that jazz but it's simply not worth it because I wanna keep it on KitKat anyway, so I just disabled/uninstalled all the bullshit I never use and called it a day. Works great. I'd recommend the same for a music player. Only thing worth noting, I don't have it signed into any Google account, and all software that I actually use is pulled from F-Droid and Yalp.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with Motorola, I'm buying it mostly for the gorrilla glass and I've simply gotten used to these phones. Battery life is not a problem, I charge it every night.

Has there been a downgrade in the display in the motorola line? Previous phone looked fine to me, I'm mostly going to be using it for messaging and taking pics related to work.

Doesn't work on North American LTE bands.

>I'm buying it mostly for the gorrilla glass
You realise most smartphones have Gorilla Glass, not just Motorola?

>Has there been a downgrade in the display in the motorola line?
No, the displays have just gotten bigger. 720p resolution will look better on a

just use lineage, it has an official build

who said anything about North America? The original poster used euros so he's obviously not a burger >70476147

Well you used euro so I thought you're european

fair, just wanted to point that out for anyone else reading.

I'd like to point out that even though the Max Pro M1 is hands down the best mid range phone of last year I think the Redmi Note 7 has dethroned it even though it's a downgrade in battery, especially if flashing custom ROM is your thing because Xiaomi doesn't apparently doesn't fuck you over by voiding your warranty and since it launched with Pie it's fully Treble compliant meaning you can try the latest Android Q GSI from Google

Maybe some day those phones will actually be relevant at all when they're actually compatible with anything.

They work just fine here in the first world

womp womp

...what are thy not compatible with?!

third world mobile phone networks

Is the 3.5mm jack officially over? I don't buy the typical justifications for removing it - lack of space, design, etc

Are Huawei phones just straight up inferior to Xiaomi stuff?

>third world mobile phone networks
Aka the US.

yeah but Xiaomi tries to get you to buy all their services and shit, so you HAVE to bootload linageOS or lease you're using a ad driven botnet.

In budget and midrange phones definitely. In flagships Huawei has the edge but then again those cost several hundred dollars more than Xiaomi's flagships.

Not yet. There's still a good number of phones released with it despite Apple starting the trend years back. Samsungs, Redmis, P30, Asus etc. all have it. Wouldn't be surprised if it even makes a return. Expandable memory, on the other hand, will be phased out, at least in it's current standardised form.

Anything better or equal to the Pocophone for the same price or less? I'm planning to buy the 128gb and 6gb RAM version

ASUS still puts it on all their phones.

Hmmm I didn't have any ads etc on my Mi A1, but that's an android one device, maybe it's different with MiUI?

Never used LineageOS, but I'll consider it for the Note 7 I'll get, that's got MiUI for sure...

Is Mi 8 /spg/ approved?

>so you HAVE to bootload linageOS
You dont. All the ads and bloatware can be easily removed, I'm using MIUI and there isn't a single ad visible anywhere.

I'm using a xperia z2 now,how worse could it be anyways
Thanks,think I'll get a Xiaomi Mi Max3 after getting some more dosh if that's the case then.

It's alright. Probably the best price/camera performance ratio right now though.

Forgot to mention,I'm looking for a phone to play vidya/emulate shit.It is ok for that,right?Or is there a better option for that price/cheaper?

>to play vidya/emulate
Why not Pocophone? It has the SD845 for less than $300, won't find a more powerful phone for that price.

touchscreen gaming is fucking retarded

>I'm looking for a phone to play vidya/emulate shit
For most emulation more than enough, for mobile games Pocophone would be ideal but costs more. Redmi note 7 would do better as well, the 660 is considerably more powerful than the 636 of the Max 3.

You can always use a gamepad though

Because it's much more expensive in my shitty 3rd world country.The price difference is too much to even consider.
Can find a MM3 for 2700 roach bucks,but a pocophone f1 is 3400 roach bucks
For reference,bread is 1.25 roachbucks.

touché salesman

depending on the setting people play in, bluetooth controllers are def an option though. Playing a SNES game on your phone with a controller in bed? Sounds comfy to me

It's not terrible for turn based or extremely slow shit,at least.

Shame about the no micro SD card slot though.

yeah, also about headphone jack and wireless charging, but that's probably as good as I'm going to get for the price
it has unlocker bootloader right? I can install lineage on it? I'm about to pull the trigger here

>it has unlocker bootloader right? I can install lineage on it?
Yes to both.

Why not Pocophone if you want a headphone jack?

anyone here bought pocophone from the day 1 of it's release or 6 months up? how's it holding up?

I want OLED more than a headphone jack
I'm open to suggestions, so if there's something else that's not too expensive, has amoled and works well with lineage go ahead and post about it

or Note 7, also has a 3.5 jack and sd slot

Oneplus 6?

>I want OLED more than a headphone jack
Ok, got it. In that case Mi8 is probably the best there is. There's the Mi9 SE too with AMOLED but it's so new it doesn't have LineageOS yet.

my Galaxy S8 auto upgraded to Android 9 and I've noticed that I can't disable or even force quit Google Services anymore. Help me.

I have an S6 atm, touchwiz has gotten better but I still like non-skinned android more.
Technically there are AOSP-based roms for it but the camera quality is shit and there are some explainable lags here and there.

I didn't find it on the lineage downloads page, so I didn't take it into consideration.
The stock OS is clean enough I guess, but still I'd rather use Lineage.

Mi8 it is then, thanks.

Attached: hasselhoff.jpg (400x597, 36K)

Why would expandable memory be phased out? Increased internal capacities becoming the norm? Shit write speed for micro sd? >Cloud storage?

So this is the power of gcam on chinkphones
absolutely shit details, illegible as fuck.

Attached: 1554663937110.png (1920x1080, 2.46M)

Mi Mix 2S: black or white? can't decide and I want to put in my order.

shitty Notch phone. get a 5T if you want OnePlus no matter what imo.

Better to wait for the OP7

low effort m8

haha I had the 6T, it had:
- fucking bad fingerprint reader
- super shit, inaccurate GPS
- bad screen brightness
.. it's just a bad phone. not sure how the 7 would be better...

lads convince me to not send my s10e back and get a regular s10. is the curved display really that bad? that's the only thing turning me off from it

>inb4 buying samshit

Attached: 12415.jpg (720x960, 66K)

otg

Whats wrong with the S10E? It looks like the best of the bunch imo

felt like if i was gonna blow this much money on a phone, might as well get a bigger one for better viewing content

How is it not that the hole in your screen is the main thing bothering you?

You can't fix shitty hardware with software

Recommendations for 200ish phone for att/cricket? thanks!

Anyone know about bands and networks in South America?
Im buying a phone for a family member in Bolivia and I've found some phones that work with the bands except for 2g of which there are even fewer phones. Does anyone know how prominent 2g still is in South America and if lack of compatibility with these bands is a deal breaker? The front runner in my search is the moto g7 play

black is way more aesthetic, white looks cheap and ugly

I mean, what is this shit, 30x zoom? Low effort m8.

>Why would expandable memory be phased out? Increased internal capacities becoming the norm? Shit write speed for micro sd?
Yes, those two things exactly, especially the latter. It is damaging to a brand's reputation when their newest and best phones "lag" due to users throwing in their ancient SD cards in.

S10 has even worse battery life than S10e. Just go straight for the S10 Plus then. Or Mate 20 Pro / P30 Pro.

Sharpness isn't everything in a good picture

Why zoom when you can achieve the same quality without?

PUBG is the only good game in the history of mobile gaming.

>a cropped photo that's a screen cap off a youtube video
wow, you sure showed us

Attached: IMG_20190409_000119.jpg (1916x1080, 465K)

ewww anything but Huawei.

t. former P10 Plus & Mate 10 Pro owner

Lmao, what did you expect with entry-level chink phones targeted at (poo)rfags?

ordered the black, thanks!

PLEASE

Seriously? I was considering the 7. Tell me all about your shit experience with it because everyone else praises it.