Do we need computers more powerful in the modern world?

Do we need computers more powerful in the modern world?
I use core2duo librebooted laptop with 2GB ram
which performs all the tasks.

Attached: core2duo_logo_01.jpg (508x600, 31K)

same but with 3GB ram, mordern CPUs are a waste of money, 99% just use it for playing fornite

hardware frugalism: use what you have

Attached: crapple shatbook librebutt muh freedumbs.jpg (3024x4032, 1.36M)

>we are a fucking poorfags: the thread
Cringe

Attached: nerds.png (650x500, 39K)

Fortnite doesnt even need a good cpu, let alone a good pc to run well

isn't there sissy slap-fighting about which company makes the best video card for you to be doing in some another thread?

>2010+19
>Not having atleast 4 cores
Even I use Phenom x4 965 which I got dirt cheap at 30 bucks. Unless you just browse Jow Forums all day this shit is unacceptable for any modern use. Even a mobile ARM with decent amount of cores would outperform it.

This my friend is called a modern day Chromebook

Quad cores? What do you need dual cores for?

2nd hand market is pretty big though

>Even a mobile ARM with decent amount of cores would outperform it.
False

They're barely even more powerful. Every year a new Core i comes out and it's only barely better than the last generation, its almost not even noticeable

Big oof

They get 10% more powerful AT MOST every generation unless AMD forces them to release something better

lel even my little brothers tablet is faster than that.

>Linux
Well to do nothing like that a Pentium II 400 would probably do.

I'm using a old c2q with 2gb DDR2 ram right now, but I surely prefer my kaby lake at home

>Do we need computers more powerful in the modern world?
JavaScript, doing ANYTHING remotely CPU intensive. If you take spectre mitigations into account, even things which ran fine back in the day are sluggish now. Even quake 3 can be too taxing for my core 2 duo right now, and don't get me started on heavier modern sites.
The only reason I'd get another one would be freedumbs on a budget while I wait for RISC-V.

I have a first gen dual core i5 with 8GB ram and a ssd on my soon to be 10 years old laptop and I have no complaints, it works well and does everything I need

If you keep buying new shit all the time you hate money

Attached: pepe.png (1280x720, 405K)

T7300 masterrace reporting in

I still use a Core2 Quad Q9550 system with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD as my main workstation. And the integrated graphics are enough to drive two monitors (one 1600x1200 and one 1280x1024, both 60Hz). I have no plans to upgrade any time soon. I also make use of some old SGI and Sun shitboxes that range from 150 to 800MHz with 128MB to 2GB RAM. Honestly all you really need is one fairly modern x86 machine with a recent Linux distro to run all the essential stuff. I have laptops but I don't really use them unless I go on vacation or something.

I think the modern IPC is only like 30% better

Fairly sure a 4.5ghz core2 is same as like 3.2ghz i3?

Any one know exactly trying to decide if I should oc a super fast core2 in old lappy or use a slower core2quad

Phenom II x4 955
Kingston 32GB DDR3
Samsung 250GB SSD Sata III
Geforce GT 740 2GB

Works well for me. I play only older games (1998 - 2k4) so fuck dx 12. Only thing that even uses all 4 cores is when I do the occasional video encode job.

I upgrade my shit roughly every 5 years. But then again I'm not poor either.

Do you think a computer that's 24?5% faster is worth the cooling noise I brought a 7600k to oc but you can get 4ghz locked 2cores now in pentium range

If the cooling is too intensive at 5+GHz I think I might just give up and buy the new pentium in some tiny single board computer

Gaming hasn't focused on CPU in ages thou even if ps5 n Xbox 4 have ryzrns the new Pentium will be faster but stadia lacked to mention what cpu its using ..

Guess I'll just push my K CPU like crazy one last chance too before cloud rolls over us all

ARMshit is still barely at Pentium 4 levels, let alone Core 2 levels, and even if they get to that level shitty corner cutting SoC architecture will continue to hold them back.

The redpill on CPUs is they only release new ones every 5 years they for this entire 5 years are the exact same part binned the same on the lowest to highest part and just full of artificial limits that oc/hackers slowly override

And releases there new 5year product 2years before Intel or 3years late depending on ya perspective

The truth is ryzen won't get better until 2022 and Intel is about to get 50% faster

A 6700k and a 9350k can both oc to 5.5ghz on air if you know what you are doing 5.7 on water and 6+ on Lnitro have the exact same design and IPC and print quality

Core2duo is only really 2cpus old a fast one is better than most intentionally gimped modern CPUs with "features"

Intel's best CPU of 2010 that's now 20$ is as good as amds best from 2017-2022 so yas amd is fucked that's why they focusing on core count

Intel is possibly fucked too thou as there best from 2010 was impressive and 1700$ but Intel's 2000$ CPUs today are crap n not much faster

That's not true bulldozer was similar to 2500k and ryzen is similar to a gimped 3.8ghz intel

What you are just saying is wrong its worse but the main reason its crap is its not the majority not its performance

Retards keep putting massive pressure and hype on amd because when they was 12 it was the only PC they could afford and they did oc well then

Amd is fine but its a minority player and always was and always will be

I was talking about ARMshit, not AMD chips. Even faildozer half-cores will easily skullfuck a "flagship" SoC for anything beyond browsing Facebook.

Core 2 / Phenom II stuff is still quite useful, unless you're doing gaymen or something resource intensive.

I still use c2d systems. Might phase them out soon as I have now more i5 gen 3s to play with. The issue I have with newer generation CPUs is I want something smaller, cooler, using less power & better graphics support. We have speed and multi-core pretty well set for right now.

Attached: Sure lets go with that.gif (350x197, 1.6M)

umm yes honey i need my $2k macbook pro to take notes on google docs

I have one of these still in good condition. What can I do with it?

Computers have been 'fast enough' for almost 10 years now with the advent of SSDs. Most people have had high-speed internet access for at least 15 years or so, some longer. The boot time and response time of opening programs/web browsers are really the only thing that would spark any interest of more speed (for the average user at least).

Conroe/Merom era processors are modern enough to still be able to run all the modern OSes (except for macOS), and do all the basic tasks. Web browsing on heavy websites might be slow, but that's more because of the web being bloated. A good software decoder running on them will be able to render even 1080p@24 h.264 just fine.

Sandy Bridge was where a big leap is performance was gained, and you can still run them comfortably for high performance tasks. Efficiency might suffer, but they're fast enough anyway.

x265 is nearly unusable on a core 2 duo
av1 is unusable on cpus that old, and will always be, even with better decoders.

>Jow Forums pages are still sluggish to load even on Epyc.
Nah.

To run Electron. Many isolated instances of it.

The fact x265 can even work on a CPU over 10 years old is a fucking testament to x86
Meanwhile a flagship phone not even 5 years old can't do z265 without being a slideshow

Yes it does

Using a core 2 duo and basically i wan to to fucking die. Stop being a poorfag.

Depends on your definition of a "good" PC or CPU
No it's not going to run on a core 2 or something but any beater gaming rig later than that would be fine

/thread

For real. I can get an amazing Thinkpad every few years on Ebay for something like 1/10 the original price. And if you're not using the latest Windows that actually needs modern powerful hardware just to run your OS will fly.

I wish we wouldn't be so wasteful and environmentally destructive with electronics but if there's going to be massive upgrade churn I might as well benefit from it. And using 2nd hand computers is more environmentally friendly than buying new.

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-x250-11.jpg (1920x1277, 1.64M)

Have you tried browsing a modern website? Yes

Secondhand is the way to go, if you care at all about the environment.

Core2 quad really is the minimum today unless all you do is shitposting and using autistic minimal software.

I run Windows 10 on a Q6600 and it's good for just about anything outside gaming
Web is fine (60 fps youtube ain't happening)
1080p media is just fine
Office I'm sure is just fine
Even booting from an SSD is just as fast as a much newer haswell system
For a 12 year old CPU it's really hard to fault

>which performs all the tasks.

Some people need to do more than browse chans and shitpost all day.

the only thing it would struggle with is video, but that still means you need a better cpu or a dedicated gpu

If GT 1030s or RX 550s weren't so expensive it would be viable to get one of those and have hardware decoding for video, it would only be on windows though as I'm not sure if Linux has HW decoding support on either cards

60fps yt werks for me
The most recent game I'm playing is GTA 5 and it runs fine after I overclocked to 3GHz

My hope is that the next generation of Raspberry pi will have at least 2 gigs of RAM. If it does, then I can finally use it as a proper PC replacement.

The arm cpu is still going to be shit

libreboot and install....

Nvidia decode works fine on linux. Only issue recently was HEVC decode which it has support for but would not work with my current repo version.

>even faildozer
Get on with the times and check some modern benchmarks. Faildozer shits on your precious Skylake nowadays.

True, but they'll probably move on from the A53 in the next iteration.

Having an actual 64 bit OS would be nice, too.

Who the fuck is talking about Skylake? Are all CPU fanboys this illiterate or were you just particularly desperate to try and start another console war?

I'll be damned. Not much lower single thread rating than the econo-box lenovo I'm using for school.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-08 22-45-55.png (1920x1080, 278K)

Piledriver is better than Skyshit for modern applications, Intel drone. Turns out more cores do matter nowadays.

Apple has the best ARM chips around, but it's crippled by iOS. All the remaining competitive chips are on high-end Android phones. The shitters are the ones that go to SBCs.

not him, but care to show some source? I want this to be true

This $400 pc can assblast any battlestation that isn't designated for gayming.

You are literally retarded if you don't pick one up.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.52.15 PM.png (1037x1219, 271K)

>gaymerbyte
end yourself

Did I hurt your eFeelings?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.55.13 PM.png (654x390, 58K)

Pretend I was talking about the miraculous sandy vagina bridge which gave bulldozer it's bad rep instead of skylake. Anyway point still stands, sandy sucks now and piledriver (faildozer+) is actually good.

Honestly, the CPU in the RPi is barely not fast enough for most tasks. RAM is a much bigger issue.

There is a rumor that the next RPi will get the BCM4908, which will be a fairly big upgrade over the current BCM2837B0. We'll also be upgraded to either VC5 or a Mali GPU.

>all the tasks

Attached: 1534973234399.png (321x321, 12K)

nice ctrl+alt keys

I built a $500 computer a decade ago that would still assblast that $500 integrated shit

Sorry pajeet, I don't want the sounds of a helicopter on the desk. I'd like something silent and fast, and aesthetic to boot.

>being poor is somehow bad
This is what I don't get about you fags. You parade "not being poor" as if it's some sort of badge of honor that you've earned. Most likely you were born in the right family or got lucky.

Genuinely curious what your reasoning for this is. A Snapdragon 855 can easily emulate the Wii at 60fps.

Not the dude you are talking too earlier.

Quit being a bitch. I was born poor and now I'm middle class due to my own efforts. I understand there could be "luck" when it comes to your birth but there is no luck for upwards mobility. You have no idea how destructive your thinking is on a personal level or cultural level for that matter.

Not him but ARM's problem is the fact that it's needs sooo much supporting hardware do to anything efficiently (Think hardware decoders, DSPs, ISPs, etc)
You tell an ARM CPU to do anything purely in software like x86 would and it's either A: Fall flat on it's face due to power constraints or B: Suck up so much juice you might as well have an Intel Atom or similar

ARMshit is still gimped by individually weak cores and narrow buses among other things, the 855's memory channels for example are only 16 bits wide. It suffices for a Facebook/gaming toy, but if you give a smartphone anything actually intensive to chew on that it can't offload to some kind of dedicated logic it will shit itself because SoCs are still only meant for Facebook.

Imagine being THAT poor.

What is libreboot?

this
quadcore 8GB is the new standard unless you have the computing needs of a boomer

We aren't all gamers, kid.

And?

>t7200 here
go forth my successor, bring balance to the world

Still have an old c2d laptop with 945 chipset, browsing without adblock/noscript would kill its performance

No they haven't you yard 8th gen gaming is just shit a ps4pro CPU is no caster than a 360 CPU this gen has just been two GPU upgrades of 7th gen hardware

That's why ya CPU feels fine but in literally 6 months we will have stadia (that uses a overclocked Intel CPU) and xbox4 that uses a ryzen and ps4 that might use some thing crazy that's when real first new gen since 2006 will start

CPU limits gameplay its also why last 15years of gaming has been crap

i would hope not being as you're comparing a top of the line (in it's day) cpu to a bargain basement pile of shit.
in other news; water is wet

>2GB ram
Isn't that like good for one chrome tab

for a web 2.0 site like 2004 election personal websites, yeah

>all the tasks
i'm sure any core2 is enough to run feh waifu.jpg in your moms basement
for the rest of us who use our computers to get shit done, its not as simple as that

itt: NEETs think that earning decent money is an impossible dream

What is CFM dipshit

>CPU for games
???
All you need is entry level athlon for games, and a good GPU
CPU don't do shit for games

Internet sarcasm sucks my tits

Try training a neural network on less than 8 cores

well it is
try to earn good money without talking to people

Dirty commie detected. Get a real job for once. 0.000001% of well of people are working at their dad's law firm. Most people make it on their own.

Based and redpilled.

maybe you should try talking to people then

I'm choose the same setup op. I'll keep my T500 for another ten years.

Depends, if you're not crunching heavy numerical workloads (analysis, new games, compiling browsers) all the time then its not needed. Block webpage botnet and some system configuration goes a long way for normal application use and battery life. Theres always not using the new bloated botnet version of stuff.