What OS would you use if Linux wasn't available? Why?

Attached: hell.jpg (540x413, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsdfoundation.org/contributors.html
firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

TempleOS nigger what's even this question

BSD

Plan 9

GNU

Attached: 1553369481233.jpg (843x720, 81K)

gnu+hurd

Attached: 1554395034538.jpg (418x464, 99K)

Haiku

GNU/Linux-libre

Attached: Paul and Martha.jpg (808x500, 100K)

This

Jow Forums

>michael croft windsor's ben
probably reactOS if that can run blender im ok

Attached: 1553000192904.jpg (600x418, 106K)

Mac osx

Oh wait I already do

freebsd

GNU

windows 10 like I'm using right now

HP-UX
best UNIX

FreeBSD.

I use Windows

DOS cause I'm not a gen x or z faggot

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with my own AIK setup similar to Tiny7.

Attached: -NTR -ugly - guro -gore -vomit -futa -scat -yqoi -shota -toddler -fisting -torture -vore -urination (3000x1687, 1.54M)

openbsd. i guess it's the second OS by the ratio of quality to autism.

imagine the smell

OpenBSD

I would be enlightened by the Devil him(her)self and write my own OS with his hellish guidance.

Linux is a kernel. If you meant if GNU wasn't available then I'd probably use Android and dual boot BSD. Otherwise I'd use BSD.

>Shadman
kek

probably macOS

>What OS would you use if Linux wasn't available?
macOS

>Why?
It's like FreeBSD, but without the autism and has a functioning desktop environment. The file system is shite though, so would probably run FreeBSD on my servers.

pen and paper

The question can still be relevant with OP referring to the kernel. I’m sure if GNU was on a different kernel then many people would move on.

OpenSolaris with a GNU userland.

GNU's reimplementation of Genera. There were exactly two ways the GNU project could've gone.

The same I use now.
Windows 10.

BSD

GNU!

haikuOS

Minix

Freebsd!

kek Is Minix useful for something other than study operating systems?

I already use MacOS and FreeBSD. The only Linux I use is on my Raspberry Pi.

Attached: desktop-4M.jpg (5120x2880, 3.69M)

If Linux didn't exist something else would've.... Hurd, Minix, BSD...

probably a version of BSD depending on how easy it is to understand.

Windows because fuck anything else

FreeBSD is arguably easier than Arch or Gentoo to use. I'd say it's easier than Debian or Ubuntu too, since there's less bullshit to deal with.
But that "bullshit" is probably stuff you're used to.

reactos, haiku, menuet, dragonflybsd

OpenBSD until I can build my own.

OS/2.

Attached: 1412264195096.jpg (1600x1200, 417K)

freedos

intel management engine (intel ME) is based on minix

GNU/NT

MacOS on non-Mac hardware because I don't want to be seen as a status-symbol-flaunting cunt

>going from UNIX to UNIX
whoaaaa so different

GNU Hurd

MS-DOS 6.22
Then I'd just glorify it with a customized anime themed GUI
Oh wait.
That would be Linux.
And Linux isn't exist.

OpenBSD, I’m actually completing my move from Linux since Microsoft is now on the board of the Linux Foundation. OpenBSD has some minor issues when it comes to certain types of performance, but I understand that this can’t be avoided and anything even remotely modern (2000 or so or newer) will run it just fine. I actually installed it on an old Thinkpad X23 and it works great on that machine, I can even shitpost with Seamonkey even though that computer is older than fuck and only has 384MB of RAM.

Linux jumped the shark, it only took MS twenty years to kill it.

Hah your computer junk chamber is even more jammed with crap than mine.

not windows
because it's worse than every other option
because I like what I've learned of unix-like systems
because vim and emacs are really good

GNU/HURD because muh microkernel

Most likely some BSD variant.
Next option, Plan 9. Might also give GNU Hurd a try.

>Microsoft is now on the board of the Linux Foundation.
The Linux Foundation has no involvement in the actual kernel project, excessively shitty code from corporate interests is still rejected.

Go fuck yourself, through networking they, along with Jewgle and Intel, decide the future direction of Linux and are responsible for bloat, pozz, and making the kernel unable to function on many older perfectly good computers.

Linux is finished. It’s over. It has no future except as the new Windows.

**hugs**

As long as the spirit of free software is alive is a man's heart, GNU+Linux will never die!

That’s great, you can make it a big cause like being gay is now, with official Google backing. Only incel Nazis use BSD, rite?

How much are they paying you?

MS is Linux now you faggot, don’t you understand?

You are clueless. There are 100+ other companies that are Linux Foundation members, not just MS and Intel. Their influence is significantly diluted. And even if it wasn't the correct course of action is to fork, not abandon.

Additionally, note that over the past few years Microsoft, Google and Facebook have also been major financial contributors to OpenBSD: openbsdfoundation.org/contributors.html

MS, Intel, Google, and IBM are funding most of the kernel developers. All four companies are unrepentantly evil. Linux has gone to shit in the last decade as well.

OpenBSD and 9front are the future. Along with TempleOS and Squeak.

freeBSD maybe idk

>muh ebil gorborashuns
grow up already

>OpenBSD
Funded by MS, Google and Facebook, it's just as bad by your definition

I’m not saying all corporations are evil, chatbot. I’m saying those particular ones are confirmed to be evil.

Linux has been subverted. It’s over. It’s far too bloated as it is and it will surely collapse under its own weight soon. It was a fun ride but it’s time to put it out to pasture.

Serves as a great example of what not to do, though.

Why are you ignoring the fact that the OS you're shilling for is paid for by the same corporations?

Wrong, they do not constitute the bulk of funding nor are any of them on the board of the OpenBSD foundation. Intel was extremely pissed when Theo shut off SMT on Intel as a precaution then OOPS a dozen new Spectre variants were found that exploit it.

They won’t be giving him any more shekels.

GNU/BSD.

They have donated but their employees are not directly writing kernel code and foisting off hare brained shit on everybody at the behest of their employers.

It’s quite a distinct scenario, comparing OpenBSD and Linux. It doesn’t take a genius to see the differences, but it takes a shill to ignore them.

Whose paying YOU? You seem emotionally and financially invested in Linux. I suspect you’re a Googler and this shift’s Jenny. Yes I know m00t sold the board not to Hiro but to Jewgle, and I know he still works here.

Linux is as stagnant and bloated as OS X and Windows. There’s nothing elegant left. It’s pajeet spaghettiware. Security stinks as badly or even worse than Windows too. No commonly available general purpose networked OS has the security of OpenBSD, not even Solaris.

Workbench 3.1

>It’s quite a distinct scenario
It's really not, either you refuse to do any kind of business with those "unrepentantly evil" corporations as you so eloquently put it or you're just a butthurt loser with a personal vendetta against Linux

>but their employees are not directly writing kernel code
maybe they should because apparently the people behind openbsd are too inept to implement trim support

󠛡 󠛡 ▲
▲ ▲

It is quite a different scenario. The OpenBSD foundation has no corporate members. Corporations can donate to it but they don’t direct it’s future course like the big corporations do with Linux. I understand that you wish to attempt to salvage the now badly tarnished reputation of Linux, it seems like you’re almost desperate to do so, but that’s a large distinction.

Trim support hasn’t been needed for about a decade on SSDs. So try to keep up kiddo. But it’s a good point, they also don’t support faggy shit like Bluetooth on OpenBSD, as it has fundamental security issues. So it’s better not to have BT at all. It’s also slower because OpenBSD takes active steps toward addressing system security, unlike Linux which is full of security holes and had an intentionally crippled RNG for over a decade.

If I was a googler I would be shilling OpenBSD, which is a confirmed honeypot by now that ships about as many binary blobs as Linux does. Linux also being shit does not magically change this.
Personally I would rather use HURD or Redox or some other microkernel.

underrated post

The OpenBSD foundation has no corporate members because it has no members to begin with and Theo just takes all the money anyway. This isn't about the reputation of Linux but about the reputation of OpenBSD, which is equally shit.

OpenBSD doesn’t ship with a single blob.

The OpenBSD Foundation pays Theo as well as other developers but Theo is not a director himself. He’s an employee. You seem a little out of your knowledge domain here, consistently. I guess there isn’t a script for everything.

>badly tarnished reputation of Linux
Tarnished by what? Taking donations from evil corporations?

>Trim support hasn’t been needed for about a decade on SSDs
says who? the same people who's too stupid to implement it? lmao

Mainly by bloat and shitty code being approved.

>shitty code
And what makes you a good judge here? Care to post your code in comparison?

FreeBSD

SSD controller implementations have grown more intelligent in how they manage data on the flash that the trim command is redundant. It has been this way for a decade or so.

I’m sure you can poke your finger onto your phone and look it up yourself, kiddo. But I have to ask, are you a chatbot? You seem to operate like one, no soul or personality, stale script...

The Linux kernel has more lines of code than the OpenBSD kernel, userland, and X combined. The fact that Linux is bloated is a mathematical truth.

There are two directors who were hired by Theo and they aren't paid. There is no room for you to claim that there is nothing going on there because all BDFLs are prone to corporate manipulation. It just happens that way. Please enjoy your honeypotted system.

Nice dodge you LARPing faggot

>OpenBSD doesn’t ship with a single blob
wrong

firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/

MS DOS

>SSD controller implementations have grown more intelligent
any more intelligent and we should all start worrying about them turning self conscious skynet style

auto trimming reduces the life of the drive significantly and isn't recommended
why do openbsd devs want to destroy my drive? are they paid by ssd companies to sell me replacement drives when openbsd kills mine?

OpenBSD has provably better security than Linux, and I’m sure you know about the development freeze and audit Theo did. Linux has never had a proper freeze and audit you know. It had a rigged glownigger RNG for a decade, longer!

OpenBSD isn’t a honeypot but I commend you for following your script to completion. I look forward to your regurgitation of your shallow facts database next time. It might be out of date but it always catches a (You)! I just hope your a mere Australian, and not somebody actually intending to defend Linux and attack BSD though, because you’re making a mockery of yourself if that’s your intent. Are you a woman? I only ask because you seem more peevish today than usual. It could be that time.

We’ll slap my fro!