I need your wisdom. My grampa has an old laptop with about 500mb ram. As he is using it now its almost unusable...

I need your wisdom. My grampa has an old laptop with about 500mb ram. As he is using it now its almost unusable, takes a long time to do anythng but he only uses it for Facebook.
I was thinking of installing a less demanding OS with a low resources browser that he can use Facebook with less lag. What do you recommend? Was thinking of an XP with Opera

Attached: 6468.jpg (370x277, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FNuotRFDH7c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

install gentoo

Xubuntu

this

With chromium

won't see much improvement and he won't like it
just spend eighty bucks on your gramps and get him a usable refurbished laptop

>500MB RAM
>Chromium

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (692x729, 25K)

can you upgrade the RAM to anything, literally anything more? 500MB is too little to work with. If you can get a GB then use Lubuntu/Xubuntu

>"What the Hell you did with my Laptop, user!? now wolfestein 3d runs full of screen tearing!"

How about Puppy linux?

this. puppy linux is ridiculously fast

Even though the OS itself uses less RAM, the browser his gramps uses will eat up the remainder. So I still recommend getting more RAM before doing anything

Get her more RAM, it will cost pennies for how old it is (I assume DDR1). Heck, you should be able to get her a newer laptop for next to nothing.
Modern browsers (especially ones that will handle bloated sites like facebook) are memory hogs.

Hi OP, I use a laptop from 2005 as my daily driver by choice. You're not going to find a good solution simply because facebook itself has become so bloated that it's laggy as all fuck except on really modern hardware. I have a SSD, 2GB RAM, and a good-for-2005 intel dual core and loading messages on facebook takes close to 30 seconds.

How fast does exhentai load?

is there even a grandpa or are you making him up?

dude, get him something cheap with a core 2

get him an ssd.

Buy him a new laptop.
There is a reason panda has a lo-fi version, so few seconds.

Switch from www.facebook to m.facebook ih his bookmark, delete history, and problem solved

I find chromium faster than firefox in old computers, mainly because chromium has gpu acceleration and it doesn't consume that much ram.
youtube.com/watch?v=FNuotRFDH7c

Arch Linux with i3, or your grandpa can go uber minimal with just Xorg and TTY

Q40S with XP4Q theme

Don't fuck up a workable system. Buy something else cheap as shit, and build something that he uses voluntarily. Grandpa might be so set in his ways anything except his existing configuration is too frustrating to use. Then his grandson destroys the one glimmer of hope he had in his miserable failing light of a life. Then he writes your Dad and you out of his will and gives all the money to a cat shelter because Snuggles.

Just get another computer for him. He won't be happy when it is so much more difficult to do anything because it is not exactly like before.

Why the fuck would you give an old person linux they need antivirus and shit to keep them from installing toolbars

bait for the bait god

install more ram, then lubuntu

nigger doesn't know

look up tiny xp beast edition

its just fucking tiny

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

it ran on a single core potato with like 256mb ram, install what ever browser just werks.

Sauce?

or and

perhaps just look for a second hand laptop or something
i recently scored a $30 laptop with a dual core cpu, dedicated graphics, and 8G ram which i use basic remote solidworks use

This sounds very specific, are you ok?

Just get him a new laptop or buy him a used one. All the ram in the world won't help him if the rest of the components are too old and slow.