X86 alternatives thread

For discussion of POWER, MIPS, ARM, J-Core, RISC-V, and any other non-x86 architectures.

Attached: nojews.jpg (1600x1600, 206K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fadu.io/
riscv.org/membership/
sifive.com/boards/hifive-unleashed
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

From that list it looks like you actually meant to write
>For name-dropping architectures I've heard of somewhere but don't know much about other than how smart I feel when I list them all at once in Jow Forums posts

Attached: 1543520428879.jpg (358x358, 14K)

I'm torn between the Raptor Talos II Lite and the Blackbird. Intel can suck my ass.

Guise check this out. Someone's making a RISC-V SSD!
fadu.io/

what do you guys think of ELBRUS?
it is based on MIPS, and can play doom and other retro gaymes

meme.

They're all bad for use in a desktop

seconded

>POWER
to expensive, same security issues
>MIPS
dead, same security issues
>ARM
slow, same security issues
>J-Core
irrelevant
>RISC-V
sounds promising, waiting for it to be undermined by the industry, look at the board of directors

how about sparc?

>waiting for it to be undermined by the industry, look at the board of directors
>undermined by the industry
>military and private defense hardware conglomerates
I don't understand what you're trying to say. They need this to work.

SPARC is the best
It was even open sourced!
Register windows are genius and vastly underappreciated.

Attached: LOW_POWER_CPU_BLENDEE.gif (400x296, 353K)

He's talking about Google

>j-core

rock64

The chip is proprietary if it contains patented codecs, or a “trusted platform” that can’t be easily flashed with physical access, or a patented ISA (like x86 or ARM).

RISC-V + per core FPGA would be the ultimate in freedom.

Wireless networking consumes more power than decoding anyhow.

Death to Intel.

why would you use x86 and not amd 64

Attached: 1552589359120.png (398x582, 342K)

Not only, just look at these fraudsters riscv.org/membership/
>Qualcomm
>Nvidia
>Western digital
>IBM
>micron
>Nxp
>Samsung
>Thales
>Alibaba
>Facebook
>Seagate
>Allwinner
>Honeywell
>Siemens
>Sony

Just to name the biggest players in the industry that design and implement garbage knowingly. You can bet your ass that it's not in their interest to base their designs on something solid. Risc-V will be sold just like ARM in licence form and with that proprietary blobs will need to find a part in the design so they can monetize on specific "optimizations" such as an Intel ME for riscv. Congrats you have achieved nothing

>Risc-V will be sold just like ARM
literally no. That's against the entire fucking point of Risc-V

Watch how it will be bent by the gold and platinum members. that's how literally every good technology has been killed. I can remember times where technological advances in user and kernelspace hasn't been underminded by redhat, or similar. Whoever has the most money outbids the poor, this is how the real world works

AMD64

this thread really shows Jow Forums's true colors

Attached: 1546906176924.jpg (326x294, 18K)

If i cant install a distro and play a steam game with ease on one of these then its not worth a lick of shit

back to /v/

amd64

>patented ISA (like x86
Haven't x86 patents expired?

Yes so you’re free to implement a Pentium clone without SSE/MMX or any other newer extensions.

MMX should be expiring real soon. SSE would still be a few years out though.

I take that back, as of this year SSE is 20 years old, and was likely filed for patent in 97/98. If it hasn't expired already SSE will expire this year(!)

What caused the entire consumer and enterprise computer market to converge on x86 and abandon other ISA that were available? In the early 90s x86, MIPS, ARM, SPARC, 86000, and Power are all common place for general purpose computers. But over the last 25 years the ccomputer market has converged to only use x86 for general computing and only using non x86 for mobile and embedded systems.

Price and code availability
x86 in the mid 90s started to get the same performance as the power house RISC chips (Pentium Pro basically debunked 90% of the perceived drawbacks to a CICS design), and did so at a fraction of the cost of a comparable RISC chip. And there was TONS of x86 code+binaries to take advantage of on x86 so everyone adopted it. Most all RISC platforms were deadends by the mid 90s.

jewish trickery

That makes sense. It seems like non open source software also probably helped motivate a consolidation of ISA I'm use since it would mean vendors only had to target one arch where as opensource could release software as source code and let users and package maintainers compile it. Also why is RISC still so popular when CISC like x86 still performs so well?

NSA was spending too much time trying to crack each arch.

Lite is not that much more expensive, while Blackbird is very limited compared to it, so it's kinda rippoff. Lite is still quite expensive for 1S board, but Blackbird is so overpriced it's not funny anymore.

>it is based on MIPS
are you sure about that? (It isn't AFAIK.)

RISC-V is too simple for its own good, the guys went for muh pure RISC which is actually not good for performance. It might become a new MIPS - embedded/MCU use only.

>Lite is not that much more expensive, while Blackbird is very limited compared to it, so it's kinda rippoff. Lite is still quite expensive for 1S board, but Blackbird is so overpriced it's not funny anymore.
There are manycore Power9 chips already (22 cores with 8t/core) and I expect much larger core counts in the future. Lite seems to be the best choice for the future.

>and I expect much larger core counts in the future.
too bad they almost certainly won't be on the same socket

Will we ever need 128 bit architectures?

You're right, it's SPARC.

only the old ones
the modern Elbrus cores are basically Russian Itanium clones with all of the same retarded ideas and bullshit assumptions

Knowledgeable types: Why is the risc board out now so damn expensive? Id like to play around but it's too much for underwhelming power.

Attached: images.jpg (847x362, 26K)

I mean this board:
sifive.com/boards/hifive-unleashed
$1000

>Also why is RISC still so popular when CISC like x86 still performs so well?
It's a meme among academia based on bullshit bench marks. For a brief period memory was clocked faster than processors so it made risc look crazy fast. Memory is once again slow is shit and so are risc processors compared to cisc architectures.

Any modern "RISC" with out-of-order and branch prediction is actually CISC.
Also, any modern CISC is actually have RISC backend for uOPs.

It's good that it's simple because it's efficient and less prone to security issues. It just requires developers to be less shit and actually educated, not some node.js "programmer". We can all see very clearly that core count is the future, and with that RISC-V could outperform an Intel processor, while staying energy efficient and secure. The only problem is are the companies that don't like investing much into solid research but build products for problems that nobody had before their products were introduced.

MIPS was and is technically still good, especially for the embedded world. Same as SPARC and Alpha were, it's just that Intel shilled so much that they went extinct.

Proprietary sodtware