Shenzen I/O

Will this teach me assembly? I saw it for half off on gog.

Attached: ShenzhenIO.jpg (616x353, 58K)

It uses it's own weird proprietary language, so no

syntax < principles

you can learn assembly in a day or two, it could take you months to learn whats actually going on fundamentally though

If by learn assembly you mean learn how to deconstruct basic problems into a mundane language that is high level in it's own fucked up way? Sure?

Zachtronic games are all fantastic. I also find there is a very strong correlation with people being good at them and being intelligent at my uni. I very much doubt the correlation goes the other way and you can become smarter by playing them though. Still recommend 10/10 300+ iq only

>tfw you're fantastic at Shenzhen I/O but a brainlet at Exapunks

This. Only real way to learn assembly is to just start coding in it. Not reading a book, not taking a course that teaches you some weird ass "high level" shit, etc; though those may be useful if you're an utter normie.

> tfw STILL on the final world of spacechem
It's fine, Ive always wanted to be a janitor

Attached: birb.jpg (600x385, 51K)

My motivation for learning assembly is to read compiled code so I can judge optimizations. I have no reason to use it otherwise. Is there a good reference for learning this type of analysis?

just use godbolt and write code that compiles smaller

assembly still has bad optimizations, real men just use machine code

Try looking into assembly for RISC architectures, not CISC. Don't get me wrong, Intel CPUs are technically RISC CPUs with a CISC wrapper, but if you really want to dig down into optimization, RISC architectures are your best bet. You first need to understand how pipelining works in architectures first if you want to figure out how out of order executions work since it can really help with reducing no-ops.

It depens on the assembler, you can choose wheter or not use macros.

good advice but also a ton of work lel, i don't think the OP is actually interested in diving that deep into the processor

I remember talking to an old geezer and he started complaining about how assemblers were bloated and then he went back to octal
he used to program those old IBM mainframes

>MUH BLOAT
Is he, dare I say it, /our guy/?

Zachtronic programming games are games first and foremost and have unrealistic restrictions on player to make it more fun.

>deconstruct basic problems into a mundane language that is high level in it's own fucked up way
Honestly that describes x86 assembly pretty well.

Haven't learned any programming
If I'm good at this game then it's only a matter of time until my 300k/year job at amazon?

what are you gonna do with principals in writing machine code. Unless you're pursuing a career in obscure embedded systems without access to a C compiler? Asm is fun to learn every programmer should take the time to learn it. Because the challenge of writing in such an abstract language is a rewarding feeling.

I wouldn't want to work in it on a regular basis though there's just no point other than the self satisfaction. I do project euler problems in it sometimes and that's about it.

>300k/year job at amazon?
Amazon has a base salary cap of 160k user

Is TIS-100 any better for learning?

Attached: Relatable.jpg (1145x946, 255K)

Not really.
Real life ASM differs from CPU/Architecture to CPU/Architecture like it's always almost a whole new "language".
It might only teach you the very very basic understanding, but you should have this anyway when you not a complete computer idort.

assembly is the opposite of abstract you git