Forget-proof password

If you have a "master password", for something like KeePass, which can then decrypt everything else, how do you ensure that you would always be able to remember that original password?

For example, say you get in some accident and you lose your memory of the password, or maybe you just get older and gradually forget it. Maybe you encrypt a drive, and think you've lost it, and find it later but can't remember what password you used originally.

How could you be sure that you could always figure out your password, even with brain damage, but no one else could ever figure it out?

I was thinking, maybe some sort of steganographic tattoo? Writing the password down is obviously the worst option, but if you can do it in a way that isn't obvious, you could perhaps jump start your memory enough to proceed. Even then though, I can't think of any numeric values, or other unique (yet secret) identifiers a human has outside of their own mind.

maybe the answer is "if your brain fails in that way, the data is gone forever." but surely there must be a better solution. Even in military situations, surely there is no mission-critical data that is stored solely in the mind of a person.

Attached: dunno.gif (250x251, 999K)

I use a different password for everything

For example for my phone it's

>password1_phone

for my reddit account it's

>password1_reddit

Easy to remember, hard to crack, different for every device/account

No, you use the same password for everything with some shit stuck on the end
As soon as your password gets leaked in plaintext or cracked as a hash ur fucked
How are you this stupid

>for my reddit account
nvm that explains it

Write it down and hide it in the woods

reverse serial number of drive
modify as you see fit to trigger the "jumpstart"

how do you know where you hid it though?
i'm suggesting a very unlikely situation, and realistically you'll probably never "lose your memory" in such a specific way.
however, the future is unknown. the best thing i can think of would be using a password hint to reference some aspect of your past that is only significant to you, and generating a mnemonic from that.

as an example, your "plain text" password hint would be "birthplace", and you were born at "North West Hospital, New York", and you've got some mnemonic for NWHNY.

or maybe your grandad called you "Scout", so you have some mnemonic on S C O U T.

that still runs the risk of being forgettable, but if you use it often enough, the identifier should be able to remind you (more than just relying on memory alone).

Use a data crypt for all of your master-passwords and implant it into your body. Best somewhere near a vital organ, so unless you die in the accident, any limb loss will not affect the crypt.
Either something like NFC in the chip, or only physical access, requiring you to cut it out to get at the data.

Attached: beep.png (231x230, 140K)

>reddit
Kys

all account passwords can be reset with knowing your email's password

everything else you personally encrypt must not be important if you let a single point of failure prevent access to it
two is one and one is none

i think about being able to generate a password from somewhere that is public information, and always retrievable. a very very simple (and bad one to use) would be like, using a line from the bible, and then having the reference (like john 3:16) be somewhere visible yet innocuous in your life.

for a better security example, say you have a library, or even a textbook from school. you remember the name of the book, a page number, and a paragraph number. you use that line from the book as your password, and then even if you forget the content of the password, so long as you remember the generation method you could always retrieve it, even if you lost the book.

Bank it.
Scribe it to a tree or your house.
Bury timecapsule with that pass.
Tattoo it to your mom.

Ur an idiot

I don't think it's likely you'd ever lose your memory so completely you'd forget both the phrase you use very frequently AND the physical place you hid it. If you forget both of those things, chances are you have suffered other brain damage as well and your current self is essentially long gone anyway. And that's not something you can ever prepare for.

If you wanna prepare for that very unlikely scenario, I guess your idea of a readily available start-up phrase could be good. But you're much more likely to just flat out die than completely forget everything.

Put your password on something you'll notice, like a red piece of paper. Tape it to the inside of your fridge where it will look odd, or in bathroom medicine cabinet or something. Or above coffee maker.

Anyway, it's not the real password, but the password you'd get if it was obfuscated a bit.

Write down the steps used to de-obfuscate the password and give it to someone you trust like a family member or friend. Tell them if you ever forget your memory to give you the envelope.

They'll probably ask what it's for. You can tell them it's a reminder for something.

It can simply be a instruction set:

1. Divide red paper into 4 groups.
2. Take 3rd group and put it in front.
3. Add '+' to end.
etc etc

If you don't want them to know it's for a password, make the steps complicated enough without using steps that involve password like characters, and something glow in the dark niggers raiding your house finding the red paper and doing stuff to it can't figure out.

Basically the setup is like a safe deposit box. 2 keys to open. The red piece of paper you'll find, which looks like a password and not something you might throw away when you find it rummaging through your fridge or taking a piss after you get back from the hospital, and the other half given to you by your trusted friend / family who is like 'holy shit I remember when you told me if you ever forgot your memory to give you this weird list'.

As long as the list mentions the red piece of paper or whatever obvious thing you should look for, you'll probably connect the dots and hope it's the master password for your password manager.

Anyway, at this point, you can change your password regularly and automate the manual obfuscation on every new password change. As long as they can be written down.

If you decide to not worry anymore, or don't trust the person anymore, you can just get rid of the paper and stop using the obfuscation on the master password when you change it.

>reddit spacing
Oh, what a surprise

>Take a random book you own
>Pick a 2-digit number that you'll always remember
>Get to the nth word in the book where n is the number you picked
>Make the password the next 10 words in the book
Or
>Use md5sum on a file that you'll always keep with you or that you can always create
>for example, type "hello world" into a text file, save it, hash it, use the hash as your password
You'll remember it permanently as long as you're forced to use the password at least once every few days for a month or two.

imagine being this retarded

>imagine being this retarded

You can always tell who the real retarded faggots are. They genetically lack the ability to comprehend trolling.

Attached: 1552141808264.jpg (400x544, 34K)

For me it's something that if I would forget it not being able to open my keypads db would be pretty down on problem list. Don't need tech if I'm mentally damaged at that level.

Nah it's you who is retarded because the leaks show that A LOT of people actually set their passwords in this way.

Got it offline on my phones internal storage and a fireproof safe in my house. If i lose both on the same day I’m just planning to kill myself.

I usually keep a pen and a piece of paper, along with a box that I keep hidden near my bed. How is this a difficult concept? I've got the passwords to every single thing ive ever had. I have ten year old default router and modem passwords, because I figured out how to write with a pen

very valid points. i don't have any issue locking up a phone full of pictures, or a day-to-day PC, but hard-locking potentially years of work and depending on my brain alone is for some reason hard for me to do. i've always had some sort of physical obfuscated copy of the password, which is bad opsec.

Forgot to mention, this box has a key and is bulletproof and fireproof. Spent $80 on it years ago, tested it myself because it came with a warranty. If someone breaks into my house, manages to find it, breaks into it, then logs into my stuff, then theyve earned it. Takes $80 (and I spent too much on it) plus 30 seconds of work when you make a new account with sensitive information

i guess it depends on your threat model. i would consider a code in a safe to be almost as worthless as a code on a sticky note.

if you're looking for a password, you're going to look in a safe. again, it depends on your threat model, but hiding something like that in plain sight would surely be better. something akin to writing it in the margins of a book on a shelf, or similar.

I put all my passwords in a text file which I put in a folder where it is synced into my google drive account

Just use an easy to remember passphrase with a keyfile.

Attached: de362f6d-e1f2-4fd7-b29b-abc4ca9cac84..jpg (500x500, 188K)

What happens if my drive dies and keepas is in it?

Based schizo

>having -1 backups in current year

Attached: chrischan.jpg (480x640, 81K)

You're supposed to trust someone else with the master password. So if shit hits the fan. they can use your masterpass and help you with your shit if you lose memory and/or get crippled or die.

Unfortunately, I trust nobody.

But who said you couldn't trust me?

use pic related

Attached: 1.jpg (460x300, 14K)

>everybody eats the bait

If you get brain damage to the point where you can't remember your password, you probably can't remember your username either

The name of the file is a reference to the obscure TV show quote I use as a password

Easiest way is to write all your passwords down in a letter, put it inside an envelope and seal it with wax. Then, deposit the letter into a bank safety deposit box. Inform a significant other of this plan should anything occur to your brain or brain periphery.

Attached: 1277468664453.png (222x211, 4K)

all right you got a bunch of idiots might as well

I use a JavaCard smart card that has the number of times I've been laid as the PIN and it will wipe the keys if you get it wrong three times.

0000 ?

I use the same password relatively for everything but it is so fucking retarded no one would guess it and trying to crack it would most likely rove useless