Anti-glare coating / warranty

Has anyone experience with TV displays, especially QLEDs with an anti-glare coating?

Yesterday my GF tried to wipe the dust off the TV with a wet papertowel...
Now the screen looks terrible as fuck, the corner she 'cleaned' before i stopped her seems fucked up.

I thought it might be dampness in the panel, but after waiting a day for it to evaporate - i figure that she rubbed off most of the anti-glare coating with the paper towel...

I tried gently getting wiping with a micro-fiber cloth, but the big smudge-stain remains.
I gently slid my finger across the screen and the smudge area doesn't feel as smooth as the rest of the screen.

Does anyone know if there is a way to restore the anti-glare coating?
It looks terrible when the TV is off, but its even worse when it's on because you can still see the smudge and the colors seem a bit off, kinda more grey-ish than the rest of the screen.

Do you guys think that a warranty repair would cover something like that?
Im pretty sure that samsung will tell me to go fuck myself when i mention it happened during cleaning, and there is nothing i can think off that could cause similar type of damage (besides cleaning it wrong, oh wait).

Attached: 33333.jpg (3024x2268, 540K)

Just pay for the repair.

No fucking way did she just use a paper towel.

My bet is it was a magic eraser, since that strips the coating of easily. And no, there's no way to fix it and I doubt the warranty would cover it since it's clearly neglect.

That's what you get for being an idiot, not reading the manual and trying to clean screens with alcoholic substances. This is not covered by warranty.

Post gfs tits

Modern screens are usually laminated to improve contrast, colors and legibility. I don't think there is anything the manufacturer can do short of replacing the entire panel.

>TV
>GF
>2019
Get out.

>That's what you get for being an idiot, not reading the manual and trying to clean screens with alcoholic substances. This is not covered by warranty.

i did not clean it, my girlfriend did.
she did not use alcohol, only water on a paper towel

this.
i googled the coating problem, and usually the repair cost is about half the price of the tv as the whole panel needs to be replaced

so im not sure if samsung would take it under warranty

They must have replacement panels in case of build error in one of their shipped panels. OP can just pay a sum to have his replaced. Probably not cheap but I assume better than buying an entire new TV.

i walked in on her when she just started, it was 100% a wet/damp paper towel. she just used water on a paper towel, and it was apparently more than enough abrasive to get the coating off

>samsung
You deserve it.

her dumbass put windex on it and didn't ask first

i know user, i know.
i learned my lesson with samsung phones, should have figured the TVs will also suck.

the 2018 QLED was pretty much a big disappointment out of the box, pretty much the only thing it offered was a nice picture - now that's gone too lol
samsung bloatware, no dolby atmos - i should have went for an LG instead, preferably waiting till now for the 8K models, but yeah - i fucked up

nah, i was there when she just started cleaning it. i freaked out and after she told me it was just water on the paper towel i even smelled it because i was terrified it might be windex. smelled like nothing, so im fairly sure it was just water.

so, pretty much no way they would take this under warranty?
fucking sucks. i want that thing repaired but having to pay out of my pocket half the cost of the tv - oh boy...
i think the better option would be to just sell it and get a different one

PS 8k is a waste of fucking time

Maybe in 2030

there isn't even enough 4K HDR content i would find interesting, and definitely none in 8K.
but i sometimes use my TV as an additional computer display, 8K resolution would be a lot of space i could use when working in ableton
otherwise it is pretty much just a waste of money and there is just no usage for it now

but considering i spent a shitload of money on a top of the line 4K samsung tv just a couple months ago - with the same cash i would be able to get an 8K TV in the near future. or you know, a great, not samsung, 4K TV for half the price.

this is bait, right?

no, this is serious
i usually never post on Jow Forums and im way too lazy to bother of thinking how to bait strangers online
why would my TV being fucked up be bait?

Looks like a cut out, what kind of towel cleans in such precise shapes. Post screenshot with it on.

Seems more likely there is a film on the TV and cleaning it smeared it around
Do you smoke/vape or something?
I would try cleaning the whole screen with some very mild soap and water and a clean cotton t-shirt.
There is no way water and a paper towel ate the coating off your tv, that would make it more delicate than the sensor in my dlsr.
If anything the paper towel would scratch it not remove coating.

just clean the whole screen with isopropyl alcohol and you will get a nice screen

>i usually never post on Jow Forums
what a shocking revelation

Attached: not your tech support.jpg (863x388, 64K)

this is fairly common on some coatings especially if they're in the light and if the water in your area is hard (i.e. full of minerals which can deposit on the screen); my dell monitor looks the same if I shine a light at an angle onto it and I've only ever washed it once with a microfiber cloth and an isopropyl/water mix. anti glare coatings fucking suck but it shouldn't be visible when the monitor is on or not directly in the light. hope this helps, don't freak out at your girlfriend plox she's worth more than a tv

>Looks like a cut out, what kind of towel cleans in such precise shapes. Post screenshot with it on.
what?
if you mean the darker rectangle in the lower right corner of the screen, that is a reflection of a door. it's about the smudge around it

user, i think you might be onto something.
my PC is directly in front & below the TV. and i usually smoke a lot when working on tedious audio projects.

could be smoke residue, but my PC display is totally unaffected by this - but it's also a different type of display, with a different type of non-glare coating (and i never cleaned it with wet paper towels, just dry micro fiber cloth)

>Samsung QE65Q9FN
>Asus PG348Q

>There is no way water and a paper towel ate the coating off your tv, that would make it more delicate than the sensor in my dlsr.
>If anything the paper towel would scratch it not remove coating.
that's whats got me confused, because i would never assume paper towels to be so abrasive in a few motions.

i mean, looking closer i can see a few scratches in the 'smudge area', but the smudge area is well, more smudge-y than scratched. it feels less smooth than the rest of the screen, but it could also be due to the smoke residue that has been smeared around and pressed into the panel around that area.

what would you advise?

seems like a way to wreck the rest of the coating

>8K TV

Attached: 1281577239930.gif (300x222, 607K)

Yeah thats smoke residue for sure best bet is to get something designed for cleaning screens and go to town

Also get a juul and quit smoking your electronics will thank you

>could be smoke residue
Just clean the entire TV. There are a couple of things that can happen:
- It was actually coating, but at least everything looks the same color and glare now, so it looks better than before
- It was actually coating and you get a repair to replace the panel. In this case it doesn't even matter whether a corner is smudged or the whole screen, because the whole thing will be replaced anyway.
- It was smoke residue or some shit and you just completed a successful cleaning

i already quit smoking cigarettes, currently using Pax3 to vape herbals (mostly lavender and eucalyptus) but i still smoke an occasional doobie once a month

>your electronics will thank you
oh boy, i've seen the insides of never cleaned computers used by heavy smokers
that sticky, thick brown dusty horror

Now imagine the insides of heavy smokers.

>- It was actually coating and you get a repair to replace the panel. In this case it doesn't even matter whether a corner is smudged or the whole screen, because the whole thing will be replaced anyway.
in this case, if the whole coating gets fucked up and i send it for repair - i would still have to pay out of my own pocket, as im sure the warranty would be voided.
at least i can't think of a reason it would work on warranty, and replacing the panel might be too costly

At this point it smoke damage they're not going to warranty anything on it
Clean it the best you can and deal with it

vaping can also leave residue

No.

I'm a chain (literally non-stop) smoking neet that vapes and there's not a drop of anything anywhere in my neetdom that's not a body fluid.

It really depends on where you live.
If you are from the US, you're pretty much fucked, i think.
I am an eurofag so I have some experience with warranty in the EU. Under EU laws the consumer has a lot of power. If you have it for less than 6 months, you are basically guaranteed to get a free repar/money back/new free TV.
If you live somewhere else, i can't really help you.

Anyways contact the place where you got it from, they should point you in the right direction. It costs nothing to try.

Eurofag, Austria to be exact. got the TV last september so it's been 7 months now.

customer service can be nice, but i had experience with samsung support in the past, and these guys are just...

>had a new samsung phone overheat and freeze
>support guy does a factory reset and tells me it's because i have too many apps
>literally just my banking app and whatsapp (my work phone at the time)
>tell him to use it for while, plug it into a charger
>phone gets super hot, freezes the fuck out
>"yeah, the phone needs a while to adjust after the reset"
>what the fuck
i spoke to the supervisor, told me the same thing - i got the fuck outta there and never used a samsung phone again

Please tell me you beat her up, preferably by punching her in the stomach.

but is it possible to remove the coating? i have some monitors that have scratches on it so it would look better without it

its yet another reason to not get a gf. women are stupid and annoying and do that kind of things.

Attached: 1553098376901.jpg (371x532, 27K)

>Anyways contact the place where you got it from, they should point you in the right direction. It costs nothing to try.
yeah, i will do that before trying anything else with the TV. don't know if i should go directly to samsung or do it via the shop i bought it.

i used a slightly wet micro fiber cloth and tested it on a corner of the TV, left the same smudge

i guess it's probably smoke residue or the samsung anti-glare is super fragile to liquids.

already searched for some cleaners made for LED screens, but every single one had some comments that these ate away the coating - even products that were alc/ammonia free and designed for screens with a coating.
most of the people having that problem used the cleaners on a macbook and fucked the screen up

so im not sure about cleaners, all i know is that using a bit moisture with a micro fiber cloth creates the same smudge.
now is it super fragile coating, or just smoke residue - i have no idea.
but how do i go on about safely cleaning it without fucking the screen up beyond repair?

pic related, a macbook that used a screen cleaner safe for coated displays

the product had over 3000 good reviews on amazon, but about 100 people posted a similar picture
so i have no idea how to go on, because even a safe screen cleaner can fuck the screen up even further

Attached: 618zlEgKzpL.jpg (1632x1224, 127K)

another display fucked up by a different screen cleaning product

Attached: 713Q3GwBv5L.jpg (1632x1224, 129K)

The coating on screens is in a way a thick plastic sheet, you will never ``damage'' or ``smear'' it off with paper towel/water, maybe with some aggressive solvent that can melt plastics. Imagine phone screen protectors, even scratching it is difficult. Unlike the actual screen, behind the coating, which you could possibly damage with paper towels.
I have removed some coatings on older monitors, and when removed they are piss yellow, like cheap plastics that turn to yellow. I assume after prolonged exposure to oxygen or something. Due to this, most monitors colour profile changes overtime, but never see anyone talk about it.

I believe the yellowing happens due to UV (sunlight) exposure, although oxygen plays a role in some of the plastics.

Not sure about the color change in monitors, but every clear plastic will have this form of degradation. The longest i have seen a plastic piece not turning visibly yellow was about 10months. Talking about materials used in manufacturing clear smartphone cases, using better polymers in production than the cheapo chinese cases. Still, 10months before it gets visibly VERY noticeable. But about 3 months till you can see the first very slight discoloration.

Never thought about this happening on PC display plastics, but it makes sense - some of my older displays are visibly more yellow

Pic related

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.38M)

>that perfect rectangle
yeah, nah, that's not a towel

surprised to hear you supposedly can't clean screens anymore. Is this just an OLED thing, or does it apply to any old LCD nowadays? How are you supposed to keep them clean?

>2019
>Get Out
Us

It does leave a sticky residue that collects more dust. I used to vape pretty heavily and blow it at my PC like a retard to watch it flow through the case. Cleaned out my PSU like two months ago and while it had regular house dust in it, it was stuck to components by a sticky residue and was really built up in visible layers. Unlike tobacco tar though, it isn't difficult to remove at all, or smelly. Some 50% isopropyl takes it right off.

thats some rectangle thats being reflected u fucking nigger of a human being, the smuge is bigger than that cant u fucking see or what?

It's an reflection, op is not talking about it. The thing is, op is either an absolute retard or just baiting.
There isn't anything wrong with the screen, it's just smeared by some dirty nigger gorillas hands.

Alcohol doesn't fucker those coating.
Window washers do, and this is exactly what GF of OP did. I worked in warranty service, and that shit is quite often, especially with elderly

is that colorado?

What?

are you dense?

>if you mean the darker rectangle in the lower right corner of the screen, that is a reflection of a door. it's about the smudge around it

Attached: 33333.jpg (3024x2268, 493K)

you can clean. just not with those liquids that dumb normies use

looks fine user, just clean it again with water this time with those glass wipes and you'll be fine

im not baiting
micro fiber doesn't seem to get it out, rest of the screen looks great after cleaning though.

wet micro fiber makes it worse and also makes the rest of the screen all smudged up

it was literally just water on a paper towel that created the smudge

why not just clean all screen the same and turn up the brightness to the max?
see I was fucking right ure just a nigger. a blind negro

please include me in the screenshot

Attached: 1541655812063.jpg (640x627, 53K)

Maybe he's got chemicals in his water.

>why not just clean all screen the same and turn up the brightness to the max?
when the TV is turned on, the smudged surface not only does reflect a lot, the color is a little bit off (grey-ish compared to unaffected parts of screen) and the smudges are very visible.

not something i would consider as it would make the whole display this way.

then the screen is ruined I would try to just sell it to some idiot and recoup atleast some money. well you live and learn maybe next time it wont happen

OP, when I buy displays from thrift shops, I use car headlight polish to remove light scratches from the panels. It's a very mild polish that also removes oxidation, and it might work to remove your foggy smudges. I have used it on glossy Samsung screens matte-screens, my glasses, VR HMD lenses, etc that have coatings and it's usually fairly safe, but I have seen it remove paint so be careful and don't scrub, just wipe on in circular motions like a wax and wipe off. Should leave a really clean, high gloss on any plastic surface.
I use Meguiars Plast-X. Can get it at any auto parts store or Wal-mart.

Yes it does, go vape in a car everyday for a couple of weeks then go for a drive one night and watch as you can't see shit because the other cars headlight light is shimmering against the thin layer of vape shit on your windscreen. It's easy to wipe off and clean but it does leave residue.

i guess that would be the only option left.

im still not sure if it's because of smoke residue, but as i said in
>could be smoke residue, but my PC display is totally unaffected by this - but it's also a different type of display, with a different type of non-glare coating (and i never cleaned it with wet paper towels, just dry micro fiber cloth)

this and the fact that dry micro fiber doesn't do anything to the screen makes me unsure if it is because of smoke residue - smoke residue would be oily and would leave smudgy spots even when dry wiped

so i can't really say for sure it's because of smoke residue. is it possible samsung used a coating super sensitive to moisture?

pic related is how samsung says QLED TVs need to be cleaned.

>dry micro fiber cleans screen, does nothing
>wet paper towel fucked the screen up
>wet micro fiber fucks the screen up in the same way
what am i missing???

Attached: samsung.png (1195x313, 50K)

vaping = vapor

it's not water you're vaping, but VG with artificial smell, coloring and usually nicotine.
while it will leave a lot less residue than tobacco/cigarettes - it will still leave some kind of residue over a prolonged time.
it might not be as yellow as with tobacco, but there will be residue

It has the added benefit of not really sticking to warm objects though. I vape inside, and behind my blinds the window is thick enough with the shit for it to drip. The mining rig in front of the window though is totally residue free, only have to blow dry dust out every couple months.

i dont think anyone on the planet still actually thinks people seriously vape water, but vapor is the name of the not-smoke generated by the process of vaping.

me saying it's not water was more about the residue.
vaping wouldn't leave residue if it were just water, but as nobody vapes water = vaping leaves residue (not as much, and not as yellow as tobacco though)

>no one:
>you: theres no water in your vape

yeah, I vape

Attached: avatars-000230105681-8hefk0-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 30K)

Movies by that one nigger

What a sad individual

Attached: 1554534837665.png (599x596, 391K)

Ditch your gf. There is no way a wet paper towel could eat off the anti-glare layer. Obviously she lied to you. Don't be suppried if she cheats onto you

not as sad as manchildren like you who post anorexic whores like that.

have sex

Those macbook screens have had garbage coating that would get eaten away just from the skin oils on the palmrest.

Attached: 436673040.jpg (2048x1139, 936K)