I've finally seen the light. You guys were right all along... If only I knew

I've finally seen the light. You guys were right all along... If only I knew....

Attached: Vimlogo.svg.png (1200x1202, 106K)

you're still blinded by darkness, the church of emacs is always open should you choose to repent

Attached: 1504734147441.jpg (358x326, 25K)

>I've finally seen the light
Sure you did.

Attached: Emacs-icon.sh_.png (1000x1000, 155K)

The editor war is over guys; emacs is dead. You're like the Japanese holdouts who kept fighting world war II for 40 years

Attached: stackoverflow2018.png (2018x1620, 299K)

Vim is a meme, just like emacs.

By any objective measure, vscode is far better code editor.

Vim fanboyism is that of the same strain as, for example, people who swear that shaving with anything else than a single-blade razor is blasphemy and extol the virtue of single-blade shaving in 100+ long bbs threads.

It's virtue signalling.

vi > all

don't (You) me

>giving a shit about pajeet webdev overflow

Attached: c297bfc4d3b5d1bed45a77ecf16e7020284c8b10.png (1500x1230, 77K)

Not that great for on-site, though…

Attached: 0c8429f60b923c0e625d0736c961110544122cdb.png (1600x1230, 77K)

>dat mental gymnastics just to save a file
yeah, nah. gedit is better

>I've finally seen the light.
No you didn't.

Attached: 1547741750838.png (604x519, 43K)

Emacs is a better Vi than Vim.

Beware... vimuser.org

>:w
?
>:x
>ZZ
???

>type write while in command mode to write to file
>mental gymnastics

>"Hold on, let me just hold ESC, and then type :xilovesuckingcocks so I can save this file."

Attached: giphy.gif (480x270, 800K)

Then map it to Ctrl-S, you dumbfuck retard.

You mean let me double tap Z
You mean if ZZ is too much let me just rebind a key to a macro and now it's shift+s

What's the actual benefit of emacs over vim other than you can do stupid shit like check ur email? I'd rather just use a dedicated program for that.

>downloading more packages to bloat the os even more
>while you can use a editor that just werks
lol

Please stop embarrassing yourself

>muh testimonial
uh huh, completely believable

Attached: wowkot.gif (612x612, 93K)

>"Shit, I need to open a file. Hold on. ESC cd/cocks/loving/niggers/(you).list"
>"Oh fuckkkk I made a mistake. Hold on. ESC + :xremovethatshitijustmadelmaothanks".
nah, ive got better things to do other than spend 10 minutes just to open a text file

Attached: 151027_PaulRyan-1250x650.jpg (1250x650, 218K)

How do you manage to write code at all if you are so incapable of using a keyboard?

>unironically implying that its fine to use a incomplete text editor
>"j-just type faster!haha"
lol nothx

How is it an incomplete text editor?
What text editing is it incapable of doing?

If you can't read what has been just said by other anons in this thread... then you probably will never understand why vim is a incomplete text editor.

kek what's up with Eclipse

imagine using a text editor without proper intellisense or code navigation in the current year
you are literally putting yourself at a disadvantage compared to everyone else using an ide

IDE of choice for brainlet java pajeets

(You)

Attached: Neovim-logo.svg.png (1280x369, 37K)

How can Notepad++ beat vim?

>dude look I can do the same things as in notepad++ but I look like a cool hacker because I have to learn cryptic keybinds to do anything lmao

based

As a live, self-documented development environment, it's outstanding. Comprehensive yet comprehensible, the same way old UNIX was. That's the primary reason it has all that software written in it. However, if you're not planning to extensively use Elisp, it won't do you that much good. Like with UNIX, if you're not using its core toolchain (shell with pipes for example) for some heavy textual data processing, you probably won't see why so many people won't shut up about how good it is.

>Using cd to open files
>Trying to use :x to close a file without saving
Pathetic

Attached: Can't tell if bait or sushi.gif (500x209, 151K)

High five!

>the same way old UNIX was.
lolno. Unix documentation was the antithesis of "comprehensive". In fact, the main reason Emacs is good is because it's a big middle finger to the braindead Eunuchs philosophy of splitting literally everything, artificially, into smaller programs, leading to suboptimal, hacked-together solutions. Emacs instead offers an integrated, seamless experience, making it often better than your actual OS.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 18:19:23 -0400
Subject: Meeting Unix Robustness Standards

Heard in a talk by a vendor at a conference I was at
recently...

``The unix market has generally been more forgiving
on quality aspects.''

Gee, I always thought of the distinctive Unix level of
quality as unambiguously negative. But seen from the other
side, it has its advantage. First beat your customers into
a daze where they don't know good from bad, then lean back
and enjoy the cash flow from putting out products that meet
established expectations... Why didn't I think of that?

I've been using vanilla vi more and more lately. Everything else eventually annoys me.

My only real gripe with emacs is I can't use it over a remote shell. Much of its functionality can't be done in a regular terminal.

vim isn't a "code editor" in the way you mean though. you're probably referring to all the comfy features (fuzzy finding, etc) that editors like sublime or vscode have. Just use vintage mode in sublime and you get the best of both worlds.

emacs -nw

Man pages are güd.

>1 in 24 devs use emacs
The dead rise again in our age of decadence, user

This or just run the GUI version locally and use TRAMP.

As a vim user, this makes me think less of vim. If it's popular on stack overflow, chances are it's trendy bullshit that inexperienced uneducated people use.

Attached: 1554652053825.jpg (749x1024, 104K)

based mailposter

It's no use to argue about that, because it's totally a matter of perspective. From the user's point of view it is a solid integrated environment, providing a great seamless experience. From the Elisp tinkerer's point of view, it's split to absolutely atomic pieces, literally dissolved. Which, actually, makes it feel so great to construct your logic from this atoms with literally no overhead.

>Much of its functionality can't be done in a regular terminal.
You're doing it wrong. There's no need to use Emacs over a shell of some sort, because it is a shell itself. Pretty enhanced one, if you're familiar with it.

As a non-vim user, this makes me think less of vim. If its own users think less of it because its becoming popular, chances are it's just arcane bullshit that contrarian people use.

@70487029
>it's just arcane bullshit that contrarian people use
It being supposedly ``arcane'' is just a method of keeping retards like you out.

I must protect my preferred text editor from being used by the unworthy!

Attached: 1497660712045.jpg (528x528, 156K)

ITT: Snowflakes using a incomplete text editor because "doing things differently" makes em feel special

Can't be used over SSH.

But Emacs can do literally everything other editors can. How is that "incomplete"?

Why do you quote like this? Are you gay?

C-h i C-s tramp

pretty sure you can oneclick your cares away in memac
oh wait
you can't

Emacs still gets commits every day, and Emacs is twice as old as Vim.

Also pic related, the reason there aren't as many Emacs users is because most devs are incompetent.

Attached: 9dc03a46ea6663c2a7e3bbf74a855347a445c3df.png (1470x745, 77K)

>not using the built in psychotherapist

This thread is like discussing which kind of knob is better or if one should eat hamburgers or not.
Text editos are completely irrelevant and does not affect the distro in anything -- just use whatever you want you fucking autists.

Not to mention that people still seem to confuse Vim with Vi. The thing people really like about Vim (the keybindings) are not its original invention: that was Vi. Vim is simply another editor that adopted Vi commands and got popular, in the same way qutebrowser is just a browser which adopted Vi commands. It did not originally come up with them.
That said, considering that good Vi implementations exist for Emacs (Evil mode, Viper...) there really isn't any reason to use Vim anymore.
>b-but muh minimalism
There are lots of much lighter and more "minimalist" Vi implementations out there (nvi, elvis...) if that's what you're after. But if you want a large editor with features, go with Emacs.
Vim is an awkward middle ground.

I believe hamburgers really increase programming productivity. After I committed to eating hamburgers at least two or three times a week, I found myself not only writing more code, but better code. Hamburgers and any activity relating to their consumption is not to be taken lightly, user. I suggest you go out and purchase some hamburgers as soon as possible so you can stave off some of the mental retardation you're exerting.

Any list of famous people who use vim?
So far I only know about geohotz and david mallan

I use nano

Indians

There is also that libreboot tranny and Luke Smith.

They don't count

Larry Wall

tried using vim as an cpp ide, couldn't even get auto completion and go to reference etc
garbage other than editing text files

There's probably tons, but unlike emacs users, vim users don't usually base their entire identity around their text editor, so you don't see them bragging about it as much.

Autocompletion is built-in, are you per chance mentally disabled?

std::ve are you telling me this would auto complete to vector? liar

>There are lots of much lighter and more "minimalist" Vi implementations out there (nvi, elvis...)
busybox vi

This is bait right?
>downloading more packages to bloat the OS even more
That's what gedit is, vim ships with every distro
>while you can use a editor that just works
Vim does just work, it's already installed. You wanna ssh into a server? Well vim is already there. Gedit through ssh? Ha.

are you racist

From personal experience vim users are way more smug and people to show their power level than their emacs counterpart.
However, you can't get more smug than an email guy telling "orgmode" to a vim guy

You're talking about vi. Not vim.

:h ins-completion

>not using ranger as a file browser
>not using a file browser to open files in vim
>using CD as an argument towards why vim sucks
>implying you have to write a paragraph to delete something
Try a little harder bro, it's not that hard, maybe talk about movement being hjkl instead of jkl;, or how configuring it to have the same features as an ide takes time away from being productive, or the horrible learning curve.

>when people say "vim" in describing "vi"

Attached: vi made this.jpg (440x960, 66K)

fpbp
spsbp

Where is your god now

Attached: emacs-interview.png (854x642, 146K)

No, but Neil Stephenson use Emacs :^)

Attached: Neil Stephenson on Emacs.jpg (1920x1080, 231K)

Vim culturally appropriated Vi.

>vim
>current year
>no code navigation
What did he mean by this?

>t. can't use ctags
>t. can't read documentation
>t. uses electron/Java IDE that takes 3GB of ram to boot up
maybe vim isn't for you, user

meant for

>tfw I use eclipse with a vim plugin
What am I?

A moron, just use intellij of you want a java IDE

>87 replies
>not one mention of `ed`
explain youselves, nu/g/

No need to mention it. Ed is the standard text editor after all.

Attached: ed.png (1097x699, 82K)

Geany on the streets
Nano in the sheets

>proprietary
>subscription based
>uses ugly and slow swing instead of based SWT
>used by onions webdevs

Why the fuck would anyone use IntelliJ over eclipse? Eclipse has it's issues, but JDT is solid as fuck and free as in freedom what the fuck is with this shilling? People who think eclipse is slow are using it without an SSD.

> Ctrl+F spacemacs
> 0 results
Bluepilled faggots ITT.

Making such a value judgement is stupid, ed was created before the computer monitor was invented, at a time where output was still printed on a sheet of paper. No shit it didn't give much visual feedback.

Spacemacs is just Emacs with a bunch of shit preinstalled.

you hipster fag

yes, after learning what modal editing is all about, you only need at least 2 more months for it to begin resembling usable software :)

Attached: 2019-04-09-232744_770x852_scrot.png (770x852, 139K)

And the reason there's such a huge difference between and for Emacs, is because Emacs users are insufferable autists. Literally only Eclipse is worse in onsite success rate.