Why the FUCK are eGPU solutions so expensive

Why the FUCK are eGPU solutions so expensive

it makes me irrationally angry that I could literally buy a whole computer for that price

I just want to run Leela Zero at a normal speed

Attached: 1518994615359.png (339x348, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

louqe.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I could literally buy a whole computer for that price
Then do that instead

Use a desktop remotely then?

you can't take a whole computer on a plane, unless it has a shitty GPU which gets us back to where we started from

that requires that desktop to be turned on, which doesn't work if I'm in another town or country, since I'm not going to run a computer for months at a time

Ask your girlfriend to turn your computer on at home while you're on a work trip

what is wol

you cant comfortably take a egpu either

>girlfriend
You know exactly what you're doing, you scamp, you

no, that's the problem, I live with my girlfriend in China and she doesn't have a desktop

I get one checked luggage, it should fit into it just fine if it's the smaller one

that's actually an idea, I'd have to ponder on it - I would be putting into a desktop at my dad's place in the USA

Another option is to just spin up a cloud instance that has gpu power.

Basically EVERYONE who has ever used an eGPU solution has realized that:
A: laptop CPU bottlenecks the shit out of the GPU especially if it can't maintain 3.6 GHz on at least 4 cores under heavy load (ie 99% of laptops).
B: latency is a fucking bitch and can make you nauseous

So in effect eGPU solutions are turbo memes so manufacturers hike up the price for those few stupid enough to buy them.

Buy a server morherboard that lets you turn on the pc over ip and remotely turn the pc on and off.

Seriously 3 seconds of research tell you to either buy a turbo overpriced "gAmInG lApToP" or just buy a ultra small form factor PC already be done with it.

The loque wants a word with you

louqe.com/

You can do a small form factor build with a watercooled 1080ti that would fit in your personal item on an airplane, and then do VR gaming (good luck running it off of plane power, though) while you fly. Stop being a lazy dumb nigger.

Just do wake-on-LAN dumb dumb.

get those gpu docks for like under 40 bucks

Attached: earlyEGPU.jpg (1000x508, 113K)

Latency isn't an issue with external monitors

stop being poor

Attached: IMG_20180927_214017.jpg (2028x1520, 667K)

>stop being poor
>posts middleclass rig from a generation ago

>48Hz
>i7-8650U @ 1.90GHz
>1070
>Calls others poor

Attached: 1551752240123.png (480x360, 212K)

Yes, that's an option, but I'd have to figure out how to run Lizzie over the network

No it doesn't, not on Leela Zero since I'm not running a GAME, I'm running a neural network

yeah, I was thinking about just buying a gaming laptop, but that's at least a grand for one that comes with a powerful GPU and it still won't match the strongest desktop ones

how much would the smallest build with a serious gpu weigh?

The real way to do it is to have a good desktop and a cheap as shit laptop
I've got my nice desktop, and my used laptop cost me $180 4 years ago and is a Sandy Bridge i5 that does everything I'll ever need on the go and has a 1080p 14'' screen. Fucking business laptops are retarded cheap.