Can someone explain this to me?

Can someone explain this to me?

Some random plugged a loopback into our new 16 port unmanaged switch. For 4 hours our entire internal network was down. Nobody could work. We lost a lot of money, my bosses are furious at themselves. I don't understand the situation, what did they fuck up?

Attached: 3242455.jpg (4032x3024, 1.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_loop
superuser.com/questions/728171/what-happens-if-an-unmanaged-ethernet-switch-is-looped-connected-to-itself
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Your packets are stuck in an infinite loop until TTL expires.

This is what you get for not using Schuko power outlets.

Attached: schuko socket.jpg (1000x1000, 47K)

A lot of network switches purposefully shut down if you unplug things so you can't fix them easily and are forced to do an expensive service call or keep one key employee around who set it up that way for job security.

I know nothing about networking, but this caught my interest. What cause the service to be available again, or did it just ""fix itself"" after a few hours?

But why did only our internal network come to an halt? Internet was just fine.

Well, its an unmanaged switch with no settings at all other than to distribute ip's from the networks routing tables?

Literally unplugging the cable. (See example in op pic).
But then in a rack with a lot of hardware.

Any switch without loop protection prevention measure with fuck up the network.

Just how it goes.

>The loop createsbroadcast stormsas broadcasts andmulticastsare forwarded by switches out everyport, the switch or switches will repeatedly rebroadcast the broadcast messages flooding the network. Since the Layer 2 header does not support atime to live(TTL) value, if a frame is sent into a looped topology, it can loop forever.

The text didn't copy properly
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_loop

Lol. I accidentally did this once while setting up my home network and it took me too long to figure out.

Thanks user, pretty clear.

You have no idea of the chaos I witnessed today lol.

Do you think someone did it on purpose or was it an innocent mistake? It could have been a mistake that no one wants to own up to

>fuck I need this overtime pay

Why doesn't the switch just stop traffic on those two ports and then have an admin restart it after they unfuck the physical connection?

Broadcast storm. You know that since you went out of the way to mention the switch is unmanaged. Stop clogging your work LAN for (You)s on Jow Forums.

More expensive switches have loop detection.

superuser.com/questions/728171/what-happens-if-an-unmanaged-ethernet-switch-is-looped-connected-to-itself

They fucked up the spanning tree protocol which should prevent broadcast loops on switches.

There is no TTL at layer 2 frames on switches, only routers at layer 3 place TTL on packets.

>not knowing what is a stp protocol
>not knowing what is a mac address broadcast storm

is this the technology board or what?

Attached: weird_doggo___jpeg__by_bajamemelord-da2ffpp.jpg (620x457, 71K)

>Work in factory
>Industrial network on plant floor
>Had intermittent network issues for about a month until we discovered some bored Retard found an ethernet cable and plugged it into a loop.
Just disable unused ports. If someone needs one have them fill out paperwork to use the port.

This is the board for saying MY PREFERRED BRAND IS BETTER THAN YOURS and circlejerking over manchild cartoons and aesthetics of technology you don't understand. I'd point you to better boards, but I don't want them flooded with morons from Jow Forums.

about 3 or 4 years ago someone bored did that in my company in one of the conference rooms, connecting two publicly available slots with one cable
almost 1000 people in two buildings were without the internet for most of the day
oh and we work on remote desktops only, fun times

Attached: derp3.jpg (202x174, 18K)

One time one of the faggots in my old office did this on a cheap switchand took down a good part of the network.
When I walked over and seen it, I asked them why they done it.
They said they just liked the flashing lights on the front of the switch.
Fucking morons, people like this are why Crapple is not yet bankrupt.

>spanning tree on an unmanaged switch

Attached: srsly.jpg (640x360, 41K)

>using a shit tier unmanaged switch in production

Attached: 15211689_10208910892862271_1021836423_n.png.jpg (131x126, 3K)

>giving random people access to datacentre/infracstructure hardware

even the Network+ taught me what STP is
guess CompTIA isnt as much of a meme

I get that it's easy to create a loop with 2 switches without STP, but wouldn't even a dumb switch realize it's talking to its own MAC address?

that usually resorts in people unplugging used ports or doing other retarded shit

meh, it's fine for connecting a few workstations and a printer or something at the edge of the network

An unmanaged switch is not acceptable in any production environment.

that's all fine and dandy if you work in an environment where your colleagues and bosses aren't retarded, which is nowhere

It's fine in environments where physical access is locked down, like IP cameras or isolated ICS workstations if you configure layer 2 whitelisting or static CAM tables.
Managed is still preferable, of course.

>Using unmanaged switches for wall jacks
>Not having spanning tree enabled.

Yall played yourselves. Should have spent the money on a real switch to begin with.

That's what you get for using cheap, shitty unmanaged switches.
I find it really hard to believe any company would use one though, I call LARP.

>we lost money that could have easily been avoided by spending just a little more on better hardware, specially since we know we work with retards
Haha

this is how Dmitri got banned from University

It's a physical loopback.

>Spanning Tree Protocol Protocol

We call them the "go home" adapter. Boss sends you home with pay. Good for those spring days.

Sounds like something I would do

user, literally 90% of companies in the world run on unmanaged switches. Only tech companies care.

>have an unmanaged switch at work under my desk plugging in some end devices
>decide to do exactly this for shits and giggles
>everyones internet goes down
holy shit

The loop causes a broadcast storm which overloads the switch. Basically RAM fills up, the CPU gets hammered, and packets start dropping.

You think that's bad...
A former coworker had to explain to a real estate company why you can't daisy-chain consumer grade unmanaged switches.

Jow Forums really is 90% freshmen entry level I.T. faggots.

good grief

Most people on Jow Forums are NEETs or kids from /v/ that insist they know anything about computers.

Let me guess: the power of Linux? Microsoft Windows 10 doesn't have this problem.

A Switching loop or bridge loop occurs in computer networks when there is more than one Layer 2 (OSI model) path between two endpoints (e.g. multiple connections between two network switches or two ports on the same switch connected to each other). The loop creates broadcast storms as broadcasts and multicasts are forwarded by switches out every port, the switch or switches will repeatedly rebroadcast the broadcast messages flooding the network. Since the Layer 2 header does not support a time to live (TTL) value, if a frame is sent into a looped topology, it can loop forever.

wow is that word for word from the CompTIA textbook?

lol if you think an unmanaged switch running Microsoft Windows 10 is a thing that exists in reality

> the power of Linux? Microsoft Windows 10 doesn't have this problem
> L2 switch
You're so fucking dim, your fellow street shitters won't let you sit near them.

I believe he meant the copy and paste

Which was through android

>L2 switch

is it wrong to say layer2 switch? i mean switches are only in layer 2 so.....

>But why did only our internal network come to an halt?
Because no STP

There are L3 switches retard.

then its a layer 2/3 switch aka a router. faggot

I did this at my high school when they where doing grading, big fun IT was pissed.

What's that spatter on the wall, OP? Did your wife get a little too excited on family brapp night?

I work at a tech company, and our network infrastructure consists of one WLAN router in each of our two offices. No one in the company could tell you the difference between a network switch and an ethernet hub, I guess most wouldn't even visually recognize a switch.

I take it that's the networking equivalent of installing Gentoo?

nice, I made $60 off of a switching loop once