BSD vs Linux

Is BSD the future?

Linux seems more like just a stepping stone, something to get the public interested in UNIX.

What do you think Jow Forums?

Attached: ChuckVsTux.jpg (800x600, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.4/amd64/install64.fs
cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.4/amd64/install64.iso
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Installing-OpenBSD-5-6-using-a-USB-Flash-drive-td265509.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reminder that UNIX is proprietary malware that doesn't respect your freedoms.

Attached: 1539401749108.jpg (640x640, 39K)

>implying ReactOS isn't the future of operating systems

Attached: mmmstanza.png (500x500, 311K)

BSD is literally the past. It had its day in the '80s, but now Linux is leaving it further and further behind.

>the public
Why would you want to get the public interested in anything? The public is what ruins things.
>Is BSD the future?
No. The future is microkernels with a legacy Linux (not POSIX, but specifically Linux) compatibility layer.

I switched from Linux to FreeBSD a few years back and everything feels exactly the same, as it should, and there's the added bonus that there is no Pajeet infestation.

Not that I care, because licenses don't mean anything to me, but FreeBSD is the only true 'free' OS because it's license allows you to do anything you want with it. GPL on the other hand restricts you and makes you follow it's rules. This infuriates communist Stallman followers to no end and the BSD community is quite tickled that they are still fighting over licenses.

BSD is completely fucking irrelevant.
They have completely stagnated and only exist to get cucked by places like Sony to take their code and not provide anything back.

Based. Genode and Fuchsia are the future.

*points to the opensolaris forks*
try again
drivers are usually the biggest opaque blobs in a standard UNIX setup
but that's because there's not quite enough push to get them fully replaced ffs

>specifically linux
yuck

>public is what ruins things
couldn't have said it better myself.

I want to like OpenBSD but I can't get it to find the file sets during installation. Can a BigSwingingDick bro help me?

Devilish

Attached: 628a6b029ba3d6ac36a2eeccc5fd7876.jpg_new.jpg (904x1600, 137K)

the one with more trannies win

Which image are you using?
The installation guide may come handy: openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
You should use install64.fs if booting from USB, or install64.iso if booting from CD/DVD. Arseuming you're on amd64:
cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.4/amd64/install64.fs
cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.4/amd64/install64.iso

minirootXX.fs and cdXX.iso are akin to netinstall images, maybe you're using those instead?

Thanks for the help BaSeDbro.
I did use install64.fs and I burned it with Rufus. Installation seems to work great right up until asks me for the path for the amd64 sets, which I cannot find.

The only device detected is sd0, which is what I'm installing it from. Everything seems to partition and mount correctly but the sets just aren't in any of the directories.

Tried this?
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Installing-OpenBSD-5-6-using-a-USB-Flash-drive-td265509.html

Keep em satania doujins comin

Attached: approved.png (720x644, 39K)

>Companies should have the freedom to take away my freedom
Spoken like a true cuck

BSD is pretty comfy, switched to NetBSD after 10 years of using Archlinux on my desktop. OpenBSD works great as a router, and is generally a pretty good server os

Linux is only a kernel.

Unix is already more popular than Linux. macOS is the second most popular desktop operating system.

>WINEOS
>future
It just exists to run crappy proprietary software.

Both UNIX and Linux are dogshit and should had been dead many years ago. Plan 9 is the future.

Any one here use OpenBSD as a Desktop? I've tried installing it on VirtualBox, but I couldn't get any browser to run on it sadly - I tried seamonkey, vimb, firefox - none of them would start, or they would start and then shut down almost immediately

Use Dillo.

Im tired of linux, windows, macos and bds

Is there even a real alternative?
>not reactos

Plan 9.

>What do you think
Call me when it has drivers and current applications.

i wish to use it. With XFCE or other GUI it has. But i can't use it for shit. It confuses me.

would use it if it gain some more traction so that more software(drivers included) will port to BSD

>The future is microkernels with a legacy Linux (not POSIX, but specifically Linux) compatibility layer.
So Windows?
Although NT is not a pure microkernel, it's an hybrid with retarded shit that should be in userspace in the kernel.

Chromium works fine. It's the one the best supported by OpenBSD developers.

I'm a big BSD fan, but unfortunately it's increasingly lagging behind Linux with no chance of ever catching up at this stage.
OpenBSD used to be a bit slower, but basically they have not optimized anything in almost 15 years, if not 20. On some stuff it's literally ten times slower than Linux (or worse)...
It's a nice system and everything but it's slow, the file system needs to fsck() which is a real pain when you lose power (this happens to me occasionally), sometimes the system hangs for mysterious reasons...

And it's the best BSD. FreeBSD has more features but basic stuff is broken, and it's mostly not useable as a desktop system.

Linux is faster and has better support. The userland is an inconsistent mess, but it's not like UNIX was very consistent in the first place. Some systems try to improve that (NixOS) but I haven't tried them.

My feeling is that the future is distros like NixOS, Guix (or even Gobo) that break away from the UNIX way. Basically combining the powerful Linux kernel with a userland that is *not* UNIX and is more powerful and friendly.

No, obviously not. Windows is a legacy OS with per-core licensing. The microkernels of the future must be open source to complete against Linux.

>FreeBSD has more features but basic stuff is broken, and it's mostly not useable as a desktop system.

WTF? I'm using FreeBSD as a desktop, there is nothing broken.

do you prefer freeBSD over openBSD?
if so, why?
have you tried booth?

based

I'm not him, but I use FreeBSD as my desktop, though I've used OpenBSD in the past. Some X.org programs segfault on FreeBSD right now, like xedit, as if they haven't been tested in a while.
In the past, though it's been fixed, Firefox and Chromium both wouldn't work after being installed on FreeBSD, unless you manually fixed some bugs with a text editor.
And OpenBSD has never had these problems. If I had the correct video card, I'd be using OpenBSD instead.

how stable is it? i would like to set up a machine which
>just werks
as my main machine i am using void linux and i love it, but as an second machine i would like something that i can just rely on so i thought about either devuan or openBSD

Yeah, why use an OS that should have died years ago when you could use one that's already dead today?

Is OpenBSD the last uncucked OS?

I use Firefox-ESR

unironically use chromium for openbsd, it runs much better than ff with a tighter pledge(2), and has unveil support with "--enable-unveil".

i would suggest looking at login.conf(5) and increasing memory limits, and making sure /usr/local is mounted with wxallowed. there are guides with more info on this available online, just google them.

No, it's quite cucked. Large BSD licensed programs should not be trusted because they are a patent minefield. LLVM made the correct decision in switching to Apache-2.0, but still has a big problem with companies making proprietary forks. Using a BSD licensed operating system is actively supporting hardware vendors who want to make closed platforms, and its popularity will lead to more hardware backdoors. Don't forget that Intel ME is closed source and uses the BSD-licensed MINIX.