youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g [Open]

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>List your uses e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors include purpose & graphics pairing
>NO Speccy or "bottleneck checkers"

Secure CPUs based on current prices
>1600/1700 - for non-gaming; worse in gaming due to slower memory latency
>R3 2200G - Light 30-60fps gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2600/X - Good 60fps+ gaming & multithreaded work use
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper - HEDT

RAM
>NEVER use only a single stick
>8GB - very light use, and/or if you don't mind closing programs regularly
>16GB - standard amount. If you have to ask if you need more, you don't
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2800MHz+ is ideal. Check "more" for true latency formula

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570/580 - value. May have to lower settings in some cases.
>1660 - current generation games on high/maxed 60fps+
> 1660Ti / 1070 / Vega56 / 2060 - higher framerates
1440p (WQHD)
>1070Ti / Vega / 2070 - 60-120fps+ in most games on high/maxed
>RTX 2080 / 2080Ti - higher framerates
>Radeon VII - may be considered; needs cooler mod to run quiet
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080 / Radeon VII - upscale or lower settings
>RTX 2080 Ti, but poor value.

Other
>Consider a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & HDD
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are old models
>PLAN BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>AIOs don't change the laws of physics

rentry.co/pcbg-more

Prev

Attached: muh need EATX because im retarded and might wutter kewl.jpg (576x768, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kaspersky.com/blog/35c3-spectre-meltdown-2019/25268/
thehackernews.com/2018/03/amd-processor-vulnerabilities.html
youtube.com/watch?v=pfnzHA3-MhM
youtube.com/watch?v=zZB7RU1L8jM
pbtech.co.nz/category/peripherals/monitors/shop-all?fs=4496936&o=lowest_price
evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-2070-KR
amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Gaming-Graphics-08G-P4-2070-KR/dp/B07KD7LWL1/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=evga rtx 2070 blower&qid=1554880061&s=electronics&sr=1-1-fkmrnull
pcpartpicker.com/list/2PL9MZ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137375
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500459
centrecom.com.au/samsung-27-curved-qled-wqhd-144hz-freesync-gaming-monitor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why didn't you put the 590 for 1440p?

>no intel cpu recommended
Shill thread alert

I have Corsair 850watt power supply from 2010, still works. Still compatible with today's builds?

I haven't kept up with PC gaming tech since 2010 (had shit internet for 4 years).

because it isn't good for 1440p hence why it wasn't put in the thread description

This is a pretty bad OP, for the following reasons:

>Secure CPUs
AMD CPUs aren't secure

>Moreover, even though earlier AMD had claimed that its CPUs were not exposed to Meltdown-class vulnerabilities, researchers discovered a variation of Meltdown (called Meltdown-BR) that was perfectly operational with AMD CPUs. So at this point, the CPUs of all three of the largest global CPU vendors — AMD, ARM, and Intel — are susceptible to both Meltdown and Spectre. Well, at least to some of the variations from both these families.
kaspersky.com/blog/35c3-spectre-meltdown-2019/25268/ - Kaspersky, one of the foremost names in security

>Moreover, researchers also claimed to have found two exploitable manufacturer backdoors inside Ryzen chipset that could allow attackers to inject malicious code inside the chip.
thehackernews.com/2018/03/amd-processor-vulnerabilities.html
Which raises the question, is OP a glowie?

No Intel CPUs are mentioned, because OP is an AMD fanbitch.

>Graphics cards
>1440p
The 2060 isn't mentioned because of the 'muh VRAM' meme that's been proven false time and time again, despite performing as well as or better than the 1070Ti and Vega 56 with a significant boost to efficiency
youtube.com/watch?v=pfnzHA3-MhM

I was looking to upgrade a laptop and noticed some ddr3 ram had ddr4 speeds such as 14900 and even 17000. Are there any laptops that have motherboards that can even work with those speeds or is it only a few custom motherboards on the market?

wich is a pity because he clarified the FPS issue of 2060 and 2080

>2080ti for 4k is poor value
my nibba i just regret saying that, theres no options for good or even okay 4k. if someone wants 4k gaymin it gotta be 2080ti because theres no other powerhouses that can hope to breach 60fps constantly

4k gaming is 4k territory because of the monitor alone, you not gonna cheap out on the part that will make it work, will you?

really wish there were a means to check how close that PSU is of dying
it might still work for a few years but franly the risk of it blowing up or having its max potency reduced to something like 600w could potentially kill your build

who here waiting on navi just for then nvidia my react with 1650 and 2070ti?

I'm waiting on navi so I can laugh for a 3rd year in a row at amd's attempts at having a better gpu than the 1080ti

I posted like 50 times in that thread. Retard.

Because they no longer have the game incentives which made them a better deal.
You can still do 1440p with a 580 or 590 on console-equivalent settings, but new GPUs are around the corner which'll probably be better deals. Before the 590 was effectively so cheap (sell the 3 games) and passable performance but now I don't think it's quite so worth it.

Secure CPUs only.
If you want to recommend CPUs which have unprecendent-ly bad and destructive security vulnerabilities, you're the shill.
Literally, a new serious intel-only (or only serious on Intel) vulnerability comes out every fucking month. Here's the newest one: youtube.com/watch?v=zZB7RU1L8jM

And stop spamming your fake shit that already got proven wrong dozens of times.

My pc got literally melted in a house fire (inb4 nvidia caused it jokes), so I was going to use part of my insurance payout to rebuild/upgrade my rig. Had a GTX 980 before, and that was doing well. I plan to have at least 60 fps at 1440p for the next few years, how do you rate it?

Ryzen 5 2600X
MSI B450 Tomahawk Motherboard
Team Night Hawk DDR4-3200 16 GB (2x8)
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080
Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold

I've already managed to scrounge a decentish SSD and 1 TB HDD, and I might pick up a cheap wireless card for ~$20.Also, because I'm a kiwi I get absolutely fucked on part prices and I don't think I get any of the deals that you burgers get.

Is it true that there is going to be a 1650 Ti? What is the point of it since the 1660 exist?

Probably won't require more juice from your PSU so that you can slap it in your mother's Dell prebuilt.

Navi is midrange. It's not meant to be better than the 1080Ti.
Radeon VII has 10 times the fp64 of the 1080Ti and almost three times the fp16, already, as well, in addition to more fp32 performance, better Tensorflow performance, etc. It already beats the 1080Ti.
Also, it's been 2 years since the 1080Ti came out, not 3. Facts are clearly not your strong suit.

>Is it true that there is going to be a 1650 Ti
Rumor is that there will be, though I really don't think so. There isn't enough of a pricing segmentation to make room for it. Also, I don't think the chip is strong enough to make use of GDDR6 as the rumors suggest.

A 2080 is greatly overspending to simply have 1440p@60. I can't really think of any game that Vega56 and 1070Ti don't get well over 1440p@60 in currently, so there's already plenty of a buffer for 1/3rd the price with those cards.
It's an awful time to be spending $400+ on GPUs. The relative price:performance of them is the worst it's ever been in decades, or *ever*. I've only been following hardware for 2 decades, so there may have been some time more than 20 years ago that it was worse than this, but I don't think so.

I'll look into those cards, thanks

>It's an awful time to be spending $400+ on GPUs.
On the flip side, you could also argue that the $100-$350 range is the best it's been since they were practically giving away R9 Air Fury's for $240 a few years ago. The current pricing structure is completely unsustainable with such good midrange options available for people with sensible performance expectations. I'm expecting massive price cuts in Q3 if Nvidia continues to miss sales targets.

Yeah, since Black Friday 2016 you could get the R9 fury for like $240-$265 which was insane at the time.
But they had bad memory controllers which stutter abnormally bad like the 970s do when they're out of VRAM.
Polaris has been the best "mainstream range" value ever during some sales. The 590 was actually better than the R9 Fury, and though it is a bit of a hassle to sell those 3 games since you had to sell the whole account, that was even better value. That's over now, though.

I wouldn't says unsustainable, though. Margins were decent enough except when memory got super expensive or else we'd have lost some AMD only AIBs from selling as many 470s and 570s for $100 as they did. AMD probably only charges $15-$20 for those chips and the boards are probably another $20 or so. Packing a few dollars. As long as VRAM isn't too expensive (it was nearly $1 per Gb for GDDR5 at one point IIRC), there's still a fair deal of margin.

The real scam is that the VRAM and PCB cost on a high end card scales *less than* linearly, and their absurd cost doesn't justify the yields being slightly lower.
It's hard to believe there isn't a big market for a powerful $500 or $600 card, as that's what the 7970 and 290X were priced at, but Nvidia instead charges $800 for their $500 card. So you're either fucked having to buy lower end than you really want, to have reasonable value, or you out yourself as a finsub cuck. I'd assume a lot more people would buy $500-$600 cards again if they were nearly twice the performance of a $250 or $300 card, but maybe I'm wrong and marketing is all that matters.

>Here's the newest one
Irrelevant for average users, there's so many steps (including a firmware downgrade) required to get at that exploit it's dumb to even mention it outside of a curiosity

Obviously Intel CPUs are the most common, so attackers will work harder to get at them. (Partially the same reason that MacOS has fewer viruses than Windows.) Don't think that AMD's CPUs are any less vulnerable, as noted by the myriad of exploits and backdoors already discovered

Attached: index.png (728x380, 17K)

Is this the right place to ask for advice on buying a new monitor?
Mines dying.
Needs to be 24" to fit in the gap

Attached: IMG_4163 (Custom).jpg (3000x2000, 571K)

>have to wait until Ryzen 2 comes out because the 9900k is a literal fucking housefire

its not fair

Attached: 1552689333653.jpg (1125x643, 470K)

That video is titled intel visa.
They saying buying online anit safe?

>More gaslighting from the guy who admitted in the past that he gaslights
Yeah, VISA requires a firmware downgrade. And Intel CPUs are so insecure that attackers are able to remotely downgrade the fucking firmware. Rofl.

Keep spamming AMD "vulnerabilities" which weren't even AMD vulnerabilities or which are already patched, though. Keep gaslighting and conflating already fixed minor vulnerabilities with the major and UNPATCHABLE vulnerabilities than Intel CPUs have. You'll eventually trick someone into buying Intel garbage, I'm sure.

Acer B247W bmiprzx (1920x1200 and on sale for $60 off at bhphotovideo) or VG220Q

Not that much of a wait when Zen just came out a little over 2 years ago.

why is the IO die bigger than the actual cores on ryzen 2

why is the IO die bigger than entire first gen ryzen chip

>but Nvidia instead charges $800 for their $500 card
This is because AMD cards suck dick.

One thing is the IO die is 14nm Vs 7nm.
Aswell as for costs(I think can't remember) the IO die is used from thread ripper to the smaller ryzen chips with parts just disabled. Or say some parts of the IO die are defective that's perfectly fine they can use it in a smaller ryzen chip that doesn't need all quadrants of the IO die in use.
Basically the IO die has 4 quadrants or sections and in manufacturing one io die might be defective. So instead of tossing it and making a loss they can put it on a chip that doesn't need it.

>why is the IO die bigger than entire first gen ryzen chip
Twice the cache is a big part of it. It's a good question where that remaining ~150mm^2 comes from, though. It could simply be dark space to make the wiring through the substrate easier because those GloFo 14nm dies are so cheap.

Nice Stockholm Syndrome.

Yeah,
ATX still rocking it since the 1990s.
Which is great for system builders who have an old good quality power supply like you have

why do idiots delid ryzen

Attached: ryzen.jpg (700x455, 42K)

>why do idiots delid ryzen
You should rather ask why any sane person would mutilate their CPU.

ok thanks, i'm not in the US though.
Which one would you choose off here?
pbtech.co.nz/category/peripherals/monitors/shop-all?fs=4496936&o=lowest_price

So I have been using a Samsung 850 Evo SSD as a boot drive for a couple of years. And I have been thinking about moving from my OS to a smaller m.2 nvme drive. Should I be looking for high sequential reads or random reads?

>pbtech.co.nz/category/peripherals/monitors/shop-all?fs=4496936&o=lowest_price
Samsung S24F350F
Philips 243V7QDAB
Lenovo ThinkVision T23i
Those are the 3 I'd consider. All are newer models, decent panels, and 4ms response which is fast for IPS or VA.

Also you said it has room to fit 24". Are you sure you measured the diagonal correctly? Are you accounting for bezel size? A 24" monitor is actually typically around 22"-23" wide with bezel. (56-58.5cm)

That's a lot of money to lower boot times by 1/20th of second. Plus the inconvenience of the smaller size. Are you sure you're all right in the head?

Thinking of upgrading to a 1TB ssd. Not gonna jump to those M2 sticks. Gonna stick with regular SATA. Is Samsung still good?

Attached: 20-147-673-V03.jpg (720x540, 27K)

Quick question, could high frametimes be caused by cpu bottleneck? I'm running 60fps but what looks like stutter/lag but it never leaves 60fps, when I check afterburner I have really high frametimes.

>guy who admitted in the past that he gaslights
Nah, but nice paranoia. The rest of your post is also delusional bullshit like

>aren't AMD vulnerabilities
They are
>already patches
Only some, as are some Intel vulnerabilities
>unpatchable
As are some AMD vulnerabilities, including the "it's a feature" manufacture backdoors

Is undervolting still required for Vega and VII?

Opinions on this build for high quality gaming?

16 gb ram
2080 GPU
I7 8700k
M.2 250 GB
Z 390 MB
1 TB HDD

Parts were chosen around my desire to use windows 7 as the OS. Can I improve this build in any way?

Yep.

Yeah.

My GTX 960 just shat itself hard. The most demanding game I really play is TF2 at 144fps. I have a very small form factor case (Dan case) so I probably want a blower style gpu or otherwise one that doesn't generate much heat. I'm guessing I don't need to get a top of the line GPU (but more than 2gb of gpu ram would be really nice...), what range of GPUs should I be looking at?

Attached: tf2.jpg (2016x1134, 783K)

Be more specific with the ram, SSD, and GPU user.

Ones that fit your description.
You're welcome user.

If TF2 is really the only game you play and plan to play, then a 570 or 1050ti should be good enough, whichever is cheaper.

GTX 1660 Ti

>z390
>windows 7
>pick one

Any recommendations for these?

Ah, Intel marketing at it's finest.

>Ryzenfall meme
You realize this was literally a marketing stunt by Intel? I was joking with the marketing, but Jesus, you're actually one.
Ryzenfall was only relevant *WHEN* you had physical admin access to a machine.

Attached: 1554761277283.jpg (305x305, 14K)

Why? I thought z390 worked with w7.

What's more important for PSUs, wattage or rating? Is 750+ considered excessive these days?

How long do PSUs usually last? I'm also using an 850w that's been chugging along for about 10 years.

nope

not easy

Sometimes I go on an overwatch binge. What would be a good gpu for playing that game at 144hz 1080p?

Im on a HX 650 thats got like 20k hours since late 2013. Im gonna replace it next year possibly *7 year warranty*

why would recommend a 570?

it isnt supported by NVIDIA anymore

RIP Fermi

>tfw 570 was my first gfx card

This is the gpu I'm looking at: evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-2070-KR

I might as well get it straight from evga, it's cheaper than amazon: amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Gaming-Graphics-08G-P4-2070-KR/dp/B07KD7LWL1/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=evga rtx 2070 blower&qid=1554880061&s=electronics&sr=1-1-fkmrnull
I'm a little leery of it having no reviews, but I think I trust evga pretty well. What do you guys think?

rx570 is fine for that if you turn down the settings some

Zotac, Asus or EVGA?

It turns out I don't need a new GPU after all! My cord wasn't plugged in right. I guess that's what I get for forgetting to use the little screws!

Zotac

Any particular reason?
Last time I was in the PC building world was around 8 years ago and remember them having quality control issues at the time.

This is why I still stay away from them. Maybe they changed? I've always bought EVGA, never had one single problem.

im building a new pc and need to know 2 things regarding space clearance for a meshify c

#1: my PSU is 160mm long/deep while FD says psu clearance is 175mm, but i have a 140mm long psu in a define c that clearly has more than 4cm of space. If in the case that I want custom cables in the future, am I fucked or am I fine?

#2: how dark is the tint irl? The only thing that would be glowing in my PC would be the ROG logo, with possibly an AIO in the future and either rgb fans or an rgb led strip.

r8 pcpartpicker.com/list/2PL9MZ
(optimizing for fps for crt like motion clarity and lowest latency possible) i'm cpu/ram speed bottlenecked here, stepping up to i9 doesn't do much for me as its small power increase isn't justified for the price above the i7. same with stepping up to 2080ti for 1080p, the average fps increase isn't much and minimums aren't impacted much either, this isn't true up to this point. it seems at the point where the 2080 is, 1080p is fully unlocked. we raw cpu/ram speed bound now. core count doesn't matter as long as its at least 4. i only need 8gb ram, 16gb total is ok if it can't be helped. i don't mind noise, recommend same performance cooling for cheaper if you know of it. i'm willing to pay 5% more more than a 5% performance gain, probably ram is the only thing possible left to optimize towards this. send help (max motherboard ram speed compatibility is 3866)

Attached: 1544944562793.jpg (1920x1080, 961K)

1050 ti or rx 570.

rating is more important than wattage. You can have a 1000w psu with an 80+ white rating but then only get 80% electrical efficiency with less reliable parts inside the psu. You're much better off getting a lower wattage psu with a higher rating, and if you're going high end than at least 80+ gold.

to add on this, a 750w psu is not excessive, but parts are becoming more power efficient so unless you have an rtx 2070 with a huge tdp cpu, you dont need it. I'm building a system with an rtx 2060 and a 2600x but i'm getting a 650w psu because the load wattage usage is in the low 500s.

I cannot decide between rx550 2gb and Gtx1050 2gb

The gtx 1050 seems a lot cheaper but i'm not sure whether it would fit into the matx case which only holds like a 9 inch card or something

Think i'll just get a used 750ti for 50 bucks and be done with it

Attached: 1554806769443.png (464x401, 132K)

I was looking at a 9700k and 2070 or 2080 unless the zen 3 and navi stuff ends up being JustAsGood. Would a 750w platinum or 850w gold suffice for a long while?

Absolutely, undervolting is required on all amd gpus because they are housefires.

lower your memory clock or gpu clock by 10% and see what the result is.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137375
msi 2080 2 fan
vs
zotac 2080 2 fan
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500459

me
both $700

Best budget NVMe SSD? Or whatever the current meme is.

I have a low profile Zotac 1050ti in an optiplex and it’s a little beast. Very quiet, barely audible over the Noctua fans I custom fitted. I can only imagine thier full sized cards are just as good.
By comparison I had an loW profile MSI 460 in another optiplex build that screamed at load.

PM981 if you can find it for cheap
Otherwise that 1TB Intel that kept going on sales.

Best card money can buy for $250 CAD on amazon beating my GPU? Must be 4GB minimum
My R7 260X is fucked, cannot install drivers, BSOD at boot on Windows and Ubuntu freezes, had to reinstall to use Nouveau drivers (Noob, I know)

lad noveau is for nvidia

>Easily pick parts
>Find a nice keyboard and mouse that suit me
>Get to picking a monitor now
>can't decide if I want to go 24" 1080p since I'll be close to the screen or 27" 1440p
>can't decide on a brand
>every time I look at reviews there's always one major bad thing about it
This shouldn't really be as hard as I'm making it.
centrecom.com.au/samsung-27-curved-qled-wqhd-144hz-freesync-gaming-monitor
What do guys think of this? Keep in mind price is AUD, not USD
Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB is the videocard I'm using
Or should I go 24" 1080p?

Attached: 1552598120625.jpg (512x512, 39K)

27" 4K but play at 1080

thanks user
i will check the measurements before i buy
was just going off what screen size my current monitor is, which just fits, and has quite a large bezel

well. I use the default driver. my mistake
Even the Dolphin emulator runs like shit above the game's native resolution, same for Dreamcast over 1280x960

Get some used mining card, they're really cheap

>GTX 1070 for $299
>Intel 1tb M2.2280 PCIe4x for $110

Should I pick these up instead of a 1660ti at the same price point and a 1tb SATA 6gb SSD?

Is it worth waiting for Easter or Memorial Day in the hopes of getting decent sale prices on computer parts? Or should I just buy whenever I see a deal?

Whats the downside of having to build my gaming PC around Dell Optiplex?

is the kingston uv500 worth buying? planning to replace my laptop's hdd because my local stores having a sale.

>EKWB
OP is a nigger that fell for memes

Why no speccy?

Just want to say that I agree with you. I don't know what that other guy's problem is but my understanding of this crop of vulnerabilities is that they target branch prediction which should thoeretically affect SMT equipped AMD CPUs just as it has affected HT equipped intel CPUs.

There is less knowledge about AMD vulnerabilities because there is less funding into research to detect AMD vulnerabilities because so few people, especially high value servers, are running AMD CPUs. This could change.

getting 10 fps on runescape with a 1.83ghz t2400. would upgrading to 2.33 ghz t7600 be worth it? trying to get atleast 30 fps

an old used one? Limited sapce if you get a smaller one and proprietary parts. Hard to upgrade because the PSU is too shit for a good GPU but you might not be able to swap in a new PSU because it's not a standard unit.
And it's old.

1070 and 1660ti are pretty much equivalent so yeah, i'd go the 1070 route

What's the go to monitor models/brand for 27"+ IPS, 1440p+, optionally with high refresh or Adaptive Sync these days? Always had an eye of the Asus PG279Q, but the panels are a bit dated as far as I know.

Attached: IMG-20190408-WA0000.jpg (700x419, 40K)

I made that same upgrade on my old T60 and the difference was slightly perceptible in desktop tasks/watching streamed video but ultimately not worth the hassle at all. Can't imagine it would be worth it for you, though it only cost me like 15 bucks on ebay.

Is $105 USD for a Benq RL2455HM a good deal?

>RL2455HM
>1080/60/TN
No.