Open Source Videogames

Why don't we have more open source videogames? Literally nobody does it, not even in the indie scene, regardless of its obvious advantages:
free code peer review
superior modding support
transparency with the community
inb4 vidya is software, therefore tech, therefore Jow Forums material

Attached: 1525783756935.png (386x406, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5479
store.steampowered.com/app/364510/Transcendence/
github.com/kronosaur/TranscendenceDev
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mereological_nihilism
github.com/CompletelyFairGames/dwarfcorp
keeperrl.com/
penguspy.com/
gelatolabs.itch.io/
mrsatterly.com/openbsd_games.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one reviews code
Mod support has to be baked in to be good
The community only cares about getting a good product, so it helps to actually be able to pay the people making it

>free code peer review
your code doesn't need a peer review, most people into open source are just pendants who would vomit upon witnessing normal closed sourced production code which never the less gets the job done
>superior modding support
most games don't get modded
>transparency with the community
community doesnt care

Minetest, Xonotic and nethack. You don't need anything more.

Typical freetard delusion with dumb excuses.

>peer review useless
What i meant with that is that people could help diagnose and solve bugs faster by having access to the source, this cuts maintanance costs
>most games don't get modded
If they were open source it would be easier to mod them, therefore you would have more mods->more content->more people playing->more product lifetime
>community doesn't care
I think that lot of community would care about the internal mechanics of some kind of videogames in particular, for example drop percentages, item statistics etc, it would makje wikis way more reliable

Because no sane person would public domain their video game assets.

who said that you have to use a public domain license? you could license your assets on a non commercial license, or are you implying that not publishing the source protect your assets, cause it's really easy to rip models and music from most videogames

Openarena

>What i meant with that is that people could help diagnose and solve bugs faster by having access to the source, this cuts maintanance costs
you don't maintain code for a typical game, you make it once and release it and you're pretty much done
drop percentages are things that are supposed to be hidden
developers don't really want players to look behind the curtain, it ruins the illuision of the game

>you don't maintain code for a typical game
seriously? you say that in 2019 with how many updates you have to download to be able to play
>drop percentages are things that are supposed to be hidden
the moment you load that in memory it's not hidden anymore, if you want to hide stuff you sjould do it server side, and that doesn't prevent you from going open source
>developers don't really want players to look behind the curtain, it ruins the illuision of the game
not sure what you mean there

I think the guy who made "One Hour, One Life" made his game open source/public domain. Then some chinks yoinked it and published it to japanese and china app store and made bank.
onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5479
Kinda his fault for trusting them I guess though.

name all your variables as variants of censored words in china, they get put in chinese gulags and you have less competion, profit
to be fair thou if he used a public doamin license they would actually have the right to do that i guess

Attached: 1546167569939.gif (360x346, 170K)

Most of the alleged benefits that come with being open source are a fucking joke. They do not apply in reality unless your program is being used by other programmers who are interested in improving the software for their own needs.
Gamers just want to have fun. Modders are usually shit at anything more complex than some basic scripting so it's not like they';re going to be submitting pull requests on the regular. If you're lucky someone would just steal a bunch of your shit to use on their closed source indie title.

>unless your program is being used by other programmers who are interested in improving the software for their own needs.
you just described modding
>Modders are usually shit at anything more complex than some basic scripting
having the source, but even more important having the documentation of the source would make it way easier to mod and that would improve the quality of the mods
>If you're lucky someone would just steal a bunch of your shit to use on their closed source indie title.
that's not that different from pirating a game and then starting selling it, if it uses your assets or code in a way that goes against your license you can sue them

>if you want to hide stuff you sjould do it server side
not all games are online retard
>and that doesn't prevent you from going open source
open source is exposing the illusion. Game developers work to build a game world that tricks you into thinking it's a real world. It's like a magic trick, you don't want to show people how it's done

>indie games
combined with
>free and open source software
makes for the most insufferable group of people on the fucking planet. The only game in development I know of that fits is Transcendence, and the "community" is nothing but furries, trannies, and thirld worlders who just want a free game and can't code.

>not all games are online retard
my point is that you should never trust the client if you want to keep something secret regardless of your game being online, offline, closed source or open source
>Game developers work to build a game world that tricks you into thinking it's a real world.
you have it all wrong, it's the opposite people play videogames to escape the real world, you don't need any magic trick people are really good at fooling themselfs
fuck off back to Jow Forums thanks ^^

Attached: 1547275466603.png (612x491, 74K)

>fuck off back to Jow Forums thanks ^^

do you know how prohibitive that kind of environment is? Hypersensitive obnoxious furries ruin everything and keep new people from coming in. Trannies push overcomplicated codes of conduct to give them unwarranted control over the project and the community.

osu!

Best game of all time released their source code, no game ever came close. Jagged Alliance 2

Attached: ss_287a66d34dabb23d042b12f991baf9519a2a7907.1920x1080.jpg (720x540, 230K)

Everything else aside I'm just glad someone else out there knows about Transcendence.

>my point is that you should never trust the client if you want to keep something secret
is there a brain in your head? If it's an offline game you don't have a choice. So you obfuscate things, even if you can't make them unbreakable. Everything about a game is an illusion. You have the illusion of motion even though thinks are being updated discretely at a frame rate. You have maps that give you the illusion of a big world even though if you cheat and fly into the sky those buildings off in the distance are empty. Those illusions are used to make it feel believable. Revealing the source code is revealing alot of the magic

I know the world we live in yes, but you can guide your community the way you want if you know what you're doing, always refuse CoCs and probably is a good idea to not have furry characters in your game
stable is not open source yet thou, and i'm skeptical it will ever be functional, i hope i will be proven wrong by peppy
if your game if offline and there is player competition/ranked games you probably don't need to keep stuff secret, make examples if you disagree
>muh illusions
are implying that if i learn physics i am gonna lose my will to live life(already lost but that is for another thead)?

The reasons are quite simple in my
>opinions:

-cannot effectively sell them. Even if you make it libre software and charge for the art only, people would just share it
-big multiplayers games with microtransactions are the shit now lad. You cannot operate a massive multiplayers game when your clients are running modified version because of compatibility reasons and fucking rampant cheating. They would also lose total comtrol over their games and game creators would rather suck off a herd of bulls than to admit they made a mistake. Make a shit patch? k buddy we fork your games and you can go fuck yourself with your new forced meta, broken maps and OP abilities.

Not true, check JA2, released in 1999. Still getting updates from modders 20 years later

>-cannot effectively sell them

make the base game free, and sell official highly produced DLC

Release the source code with last DLC, the issue is fixed. If it's always online thing, release after you drop support/take servers offline

the real world isn't an illusion, it's real. Physics are the rules of the real world, it's not maintaining any illusion. Video games are entirely illusions made to make you think they're real but they aren't
Nobody needs to keep stuff secret, many people don't, most games at least have assets packed into archives but they're unencrypted

>and there is player competition
i meant and there is not player competition
>cannot effectively sell them. Even if you make it libre software and charge for the art only, people would just share it
you could say the same about any game without DRM, i could just copy the files and share them
>You cannot operate a massive multiplayers game when your clients are running modified version
yes open source takes away control from the companies so if you engage in anti consumer behavior maybe it's not for you, about cheating same as what i said to the other user never trust the client

yeah but what do you gain from making the game open source? You only stand to lose, there's no point

>Video games are entirely illusions made to make you think they're real but they aren't
the vast majority of videogames have no interest in making you think that they are real or simulations of reality, most videogame are a fantasy(as in they simulate a fantasy), wants to be a fantasy and players approach them as a fantasy, what kind of videogames do you play user?

Attached: 1549087959339.png (645x773, 11K)

>Transcendence on Steam
store.steampowered.com/app/364510/Transcendence/
>Transcendence on Github
github.com/kronosaur/TranscendenceDev

The base game was always free (steam version includes all the paid DLC), but I think it was made open source to help modders. Was it helpful? I don't know, ask the dev.

Are you an idiot? You think this has anything to do with the game content? What do you think a polygonal model is? It's just a bunch of triangles, but if an artist puts them together correctly you get the illusion of a thing, maybe not a thing that exists in our world but could exist in a similar one. All art is about making illusions. Well, nearly all art

Mods arent that helpful to most games
It's a good idea to make Rimworld moddable, making Assassins Creed moddable is a waste of time

user, I don't think anyone here is advocating for AAA games to go open source.

The question was why aren't more games open source
That's the answer, most of them gain nothing from it

What do you think matter is? It's just a bunch of quantum states, but if you put them toghether you get the illusion of a thing ... wait a second ...
it would be pretty cool to make a combat system mod for Assassin's Creed II

No you don't get the illusion of a thing, you get the thing. Look up illusion in the dictionary if you're having trouble with this concept

An illusion is a distortion of your perception of reality, seems to me that you are the one that should look in a dictionary, what i think you're referring to is en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mereological_nihilism

>cannot effectively sell them.
most of indie videogames revenue is made during the first period, you could release the source after a certain amount of time

>obvious advantages:
Like what? There's no advantages listed in the thread and I can only think of disadvantages.
You keep mentioning modding like that's necessary but modding tools, basic documentation, and a script language support is all that's needed, open source offers no benefits.

>Literally nobody does it
github.com/CompletelyFairGames/dwarfcorp

Video games, unlike most software, lack a well-defined design goal. So if you let any old shmuck contribute, soon you get a bunch of creative differences and infighting about how the gameplay should operate.

It's important to separate creative design from technical design(not always possible but let's try), in this case people would only contribute on the technical side ... solving bugs, providing technical assistancee to other players etc, if people wants to be creative they can make mods.

theres no point open sourcing a game to fix bugs and get code monkeys to work on it for free at any level
you can do that yourself as the developer

it's not that easy, testing and troubleshooting it's always gonna involve the user to some degree, lots of videogames already rely on users on reporting bugs why not going further?

then don't
keeperrl.com/

yes we have ways of finding bugs, it's called QA, no open source required

>Literally nobody does it
penguspy.com/

for an indie development studio that may not be the best way to spend the budget on

the id games were open source

>Open Source Videogames
I know a good game for a disgusting attention whoring anime pedo scum like you.
Step one: you go fucking neck yourself
Step two: you fucked up and die in agony

it doesnt cost money, you get your friends to test your game and you fix the bugs yourself, you honestly think letting random nobodies comb through your code is going to get it done faster?

It's useless. If you have the time better make some library that can actually be reused by tons of people.

hi, all my games are open source: gelatolabs.itch.io/

It's mostly about making the engine open source not the assets. Old id software games are a good example.

Look up OpenMW
New engine for morrowind built in C++ that's already spawned a multiplayer fork and is being updated to work with every bethesda title out now along with permitting people to build their own titles on the engine as stand alone games.

>If you're a developer on Linux and Mac, it may be possible to build the game without too much fuss using Mono, provided you have a content package that was first built on Windows
winblows-oriented bullshit

Ill begin your open source video game right now

typedef struct rect{
int x,y,w,h;
} rect;
typedef struct vec2{
int x,y;
} vec2;
typedef struct sprite{
vec2 pos;
rect rec;
} sprite;
int main(void){
return 0;
}

Attached: asuka2.jpg (1000x1498, 171K)

slight change
typedef struct vec2{
int x,y;
} vec2;
typedef struct rect{
vec2 pos;
vec2 size;
} rect;
typedef struct sprite{
vec2 pos;
rect texture_rect;
rect collision_rect;
} sprite;
int main(void){
return 0;
}

Attached: asuka.jpg (1441x2160, 515K)

>He doesn't play free cities.

Because it isn't profitable. It's one thing to open an engine, or a game that's no longer sold, but to open source an ongoing game project is a financial suicide unless you have a fuck ton of market dominance and financial power already. For example, either Google, Microsoft or Valve could start making an open source game. The issue is why would they? Making a tool open source makes sense because it's improved by the community and you can use it. Games aren't used for work so you don't benefit or profit from open sourcing them. It's like open sourcing a movie. It only makes sense if you don't want money outside of maybe donations. So it only makes sense if you care about your community and want for the game to live on. Game studios don't want their old games to be played because they NEED to sell new ones, and they don't care about their users their only care about their users' wallets.
However, I can see something like Garry's Mod existing open source, where the engine and core game and all is open source while you can make and join paid servers with different game types. It's probably doable in Minetest or some project like that.
There's an open source game of every game genre already, and some of them are really fucking good.

Just play more source engine gamea and quake 3/Wolfenstein et bro

/thread

Yeah but it's not well protected, HoLLy Hacker has a repo on GitHub for decrypting the binaries

godot

Don't forget Warsow my nigga. And OpenArena. And Cube/Cube2/AssaultCube

JA2 is probably the best game I ever played, but X-Com UFO Defense (also now "OpenXCOM") is up there.
FreeCiv, OpenRCT2, OpenTTD, that simcity one, also are worth noting. Spring RTS is also really great. Look up "Balanced Annihilation" if you ever played Total Annihilation 20 years ago.

This isn't even including the myriad of roguelikes, or tthings like all the idtech games that are now open source (wolf3d, doom/2/heretic/hexen, quake1/2/3), the build engine and its associated games (duke3d/blood/shadow-warrior/RR/etc), cross-platform recreations like OpenRA, FreeOrion, etc...

You must be 18 years or older to post here.

Nethack is a genius game. These retards need flashy war simulators to have fun.

mrsatterly.com/openbsd_games.html

I wanna sniff Bratass

Attached: 641CCE71-2892-45D4-970F-2E4898DE6A6D.gif (480x270, 885K)