Helios for coding?

Gentlemen. Some advise, please. Which laptop? I am a 35 year old dude that is just getting in to coding for the first time. I want to start off learning javascript then maybe a few other languages like c+ and python and maybe c#. I am getting ahead of myself though. I have been a gamer all my life, built my own PC like 10 years ago and am on my third build now. Getting in to coding though, I do not want to be stuck int he same chair for hours everyday because I am using the desktop PC. I want to buy a laptop that I can take around and code on, but that can also play a few games that I like as well. I do not have a HUGE amount of expendable income, but I do plan on reprogging and selling my desktop after I get the laptop set up to cover some of the cost.Any advise on if this is a good idea? Would I be better off getting a budget laptop dedicating entirely to coding rather than this hybrid idea? This is the laptop I was considering getting now, the Acer Predator Helios 300.

Attached: 81g7AiqWrtL._SX425_.jpg (425x287, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eloquentjavascript.net/
phoenix35.js.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Get a thinkpad my boomer friend

thinkpad x220/x230/t430/t440

I don't know man this might drop frames on notepad++

lol
Thanks guys, are you talking about the thinkpad only for coding? I looked them up and the prices are very reasonable. Honestly I would still probably sell my desktop and buy both. Any advice for beginning to learn JS? Some cool dudes here on Jow Forums linked me to the elequent javascript website/course to learn from. I am not going to school for this, I work full time and am teaching myself.

I'm curious, what do you want to learn for?

To get in to the field. I want to eventually be able to work on making phone apps and maybe some game development. Honestly, I have been working full-time for other people since I was 16 and I am ready to start working for myself. Branch out in to entrepreneur world and just provide for myself and the family I want to have. After I learn Javascript and develop a certain level of proficiency, I can start taking side jobs and eventually make coding my full time job. I have always liked working on and with computers, and learning their language is a fascinating endeavor to me. The questions I ask myself is "Why didn't I start sooner?"

That's great, but javascript might not be what you should be aiming for in that case. Good luck though.

I'm unironically learning javascript myself, as well as node and other web dev supplemental languages. How is the field right now? A lot of demand for JS?

Any advise on what I SHOULD be aiming for? I heard JS is very popular right now, and if I wanted to learn a language that I could start making money with doing side jobs and such, JS would be perfect. Like I said, I am just getting in to this so any different perspectives are appreciated.

It's the most popular programming language right now.

>Acer Predator Helios 300.
I have one and it's pretty damn good. Fast as fuck and can handle gaming. However, if you're buying refurb be aware that you're risking getting a paperweight. Mine died and luckily it was within 90 days so I could send it in for repair.
A Thinkpad isn't going to be able to play games.

JS is a great and necessary side language to know, but I can't really see anyone hiring just for it.

There are a ton of jobs for Javascript frameworks like React and Angular. However, you're gonna have a hard time getting in without experience. Ideally you'd have someone refer you to the job.

Thanks anons, wtf should I do then... I want to get into programming and want to learn a practical language with good job prospects. I have a mechanical engineering background and hate the living fuck out of it. What would you anons recommend for someone self driven who has very little knowledge of coding, etc. I can dedicate 8 hours a day to learning, the faster I can become proficient the better.

Don't listen to the fedoras, unless you are doing some java microservice shit or relatable, any notebook for $250 with an Intel N5000 and 8gb of ram will do the job.

Python?

Attached: 1554540234385.jpg (515x595, 23K)

Are you me? I made this thread, but aside from the mechanical engineering background you sound like me, hahaha. Godspeed to us both, user.

Thanks for the info bro. You just confirmed what I thought to be the case, I am going to pull the trigger. Been wanting to replace my desktop with a laptop. I am going to get the helios and a thinkpad then wipe and sell my desktop PC.

Oh really? Are you learning javascript as well? I'm afraid to waste my time with it if it will only be looked at as a supplemental required skill. It doesn't seem like it can hurt to learn it though. How are you tackling this problem?

Thanks user, I haven't looked into python and the job prospects/requirements for an entry level position.

Honestly I do not see it as a problem dude. I knew going in to this endeavor that it will be like learning a new trade from scratch. The way I see it, the months or so of learning I will put in to Javascript is BOUND to be beneficial in my coding experience at some point. For now I am aiming to learn Javascrip, C+ then python. I am sure along the way my target will get in better focus and my aim may shift a bit. Like anything else in life though.

Honestly man, I think alot of people's advise when it comes to job prospects has alot to do with their perspective in the job world. As an entrepreneur your perspective changes from trying to land A job, to being willing to do ANY job. If you are willing to do ANY job, I am sure you will find work with Javascript. Personally I am looking to do more contract work than a 9-5 with coding.

Very nice user, what time frame have you given yourself in order to feel comfortable to move from JS to C+? Are you just going to wing it?

I would do any menial job to get my foot in the door, if it turns out to be stagnant I can always supplement to not get rusty. The end goal would be a remote job from home but I know those are rare.

>coding

Attached: 1525616100126.jpg (1032x745, 80K)

Well I am going to go through the course on eloquentjavascript.net/ that another user recommended. I do not even have the hardware now though, going to pick up a thinkpad and get started this week. I am optimistic though. I do not know how long it will take me to finish, but I am working full time as well. After I finish that course, I will gauge how comfortable I am with JS, then start with C+ or python.

Thanks for the link user, I'm going through the phoenix35.js.org/ course and it seems to do the job so far, also recommended by a Jow Forums user. I'm focusing on learning first then will upgrade the hardware as necessary. This seems to bring the same pitfalls early business owners fall into so I'm holding out on purchasing tools for now.

Been working C# development for 8 years, in my current remote job I'm using a $200 Thinkpad T420s with an SSD and it handles everything just fine - I was pretty surprised. It has an underpowered I5 with 2 cores that is 7 years old now, and 8 GB RAM, but I can keep 2 Visual Studio instances with solutions that have 60+ projects, Chrome with quite some tabs and source control tools and everything runs OK - I even use it instead of my desktop because I like to crash lying on the couch at some friends' house and work several hours.

You'll be fine with whatever laptop for coding - unless you're doing game development or database stuff - I've heard Mongo can take quite a bit of resources, so just take whatever nice lighter 15 inch laptop, and skip the mobile gaming and use your desktop for that.

The problems with using gaming laptops for coding is
- Their keyboard is pretty bad - layout, key travel etc.
- They weigh quite a lot, which seems like a non-issue until you have to carry a 5-6k backpack around, and they're not comfortable to use in your lap
- Their build quality is not that good, so you may not abuse them like throw them around or use them not on a table

But if a gamer laptop scratches your boat go for it too - there's no wrong decision

If you're looking for a laptop with decent specs, i8, discrete graphics, etc, I can recommend the Lenovo Y530. After using thinkpads for several years, I bought one of these because I work with a lot of CAD stuff and my X220 wasn't cutting it. I added an M.2 SSD and it runs really well. Linux support isn't bad, but does require a little config out of the box.
I also just like it because it's the least epic gamer looking of the epic gamer laptops.

Attached: file.png (1184x923, 941K)

Thank you friend. After the responses I received here and some research I have decided to get a thinkpad and the Helios for gaming. I realize I was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone in that I want to replace my gaming PC for the reasons above (Not wanting to stay in one seat uncomfortable, the ability to go tot he couch or friends houses etc.) and my needs for the new coding endeavor. I am going to get the Helios for gaming and a thinkpad for coding. Your post is very useful with your practical experience in the field. Cheers.

If you can find a refurbished or used Thinkpad T580 this is the holy grail - they have an 8th gen processor that has 4 cores and is quite power-efficient, 15" screen, really good keyboard and the trackpoint (that nipple-like thing on the keyboard that allows you to control the mouse without using the pad)
If it's too much $ there are quite a lot of cheaper options - my advice is to find a FullHD display, 8th gen intel processor and aim for lightness & portability

My biggest issue with T420s is that since it's old the battery can't last more than an hour tops, so I need to be near an outlet when I'm outside

thinkpad with SSD and docking station and 1080p monitor + nice keyboard and mouse and speakers is based.

My x230 is gr8, only limitations are video games.

get a monitor arm and a recliner instead

>im an algorithm artisan

Keep desktop
Used X1 Carbon for like $275-$300
Use it for only programming
Don't bother trying to mix it. Almost every "gay men" laptop has horrible thermals / cooling, and the ones that don't are like $1200 as a minimum (Eluktronics Mech 15 G2 for example)