Lost the job today, and former boss is a retarded rich asshole who expects me to pay ~$800 to keep the MacBook Pro (15"...

Lost the job today, and former boss is a retarded rich asshole who expects me to pay ~$800 to keep the MacBook Pro (15", mid-2014) that I've used the last 4 years working for him.

So I'm in the market for something new, and it's not going to be Apple this time. Is there a good site for finding the best laptops?

What I care about:
> Battery life *on GNU/Linux* (I've really liked macOS, but don't have the effort to Hackintosh, and I know some laptops get awful battery when not running Windows)
> Durability (I'm very careful with my stuff, but I want it to last for as long as possible, no problems that will happen from shitty engineering/QA)
> Good screen (if it's not at least FHD, it should go into the trash. It'd be cool with OLED like I think Retina screen is, but maybe not too important?)
> Pretty balanced in terms of future-proofing (have pretty good specs for today, with the rest of the stuff easy to upgrade if time goes on)

Otherwise, the rest of the stuff is just optional. I really like the design of the 2014 MBP, but it's not worth its price anymore. Where can I build this dream laptop?

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Attached: 1554130422457-0.jpg (2048x2048, 667K)

Other urls found in this thread:

system76.com/
makeawebsitehub.com/best-laptops-linux/
system76.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's a long bot post.

I'm not a bot my niqqa, I'm just quite depressed about losing my first long-term job unexpectedly, realizing my boss was never truly my friend, and trying to come up with some solutions on what computer I will need to buy to survive with.

Attached: 1542499507191.png (796x1082, 94K)

MACTODDLER BTFO

Attached: 1528807411723.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

I don't need to finish reading this.
Thinkpad.

Attached: 1554451504122.jpg (758x644, 64K)

>Yes, I use a Thinkpad. How did you know?

Attached: 1526871461426.jpg (1080x1331, 97K)

Google it faggot, Jow Forums isn't here to give you buying advice

thinkpad x200 with libreboot.

Unironically, use System76: system76.com/

THESE: makeawebsitehub.com/best-laptops-linux/

thinkpad x1

why don't their laptops have a trackpoint? not one of them

Attached: 1554797051581.jpg (234x250, 10K)

> niqqa
why is everyone so cucked with this word? Just say hard-r niggeR, its not hard.

I thought Thinkpad got a lot worse in the last 5 years, and is just a meme now?

Dell XPS is where it's at.

T470 with the QHD panels fit the bills.

>Battery life *on GNU/Linux* (I've really liked macOS, but don't have the effort to Hackintosh, and I know some laptops get awful battery when not running Windows)
Check
> Durability (I'm very careful with my stuff, but I want it to last for as long as possible, no problems that will happen from shitty engineering/QA)
Check
> Good screen (if it's not at least FHD, it should go into the trash. It'd be cool with OLED like I think Retina screen is, but maybe not too important?)
Check
> Pretty balanced in terms of future-proofing (have pretty good specs for today, with the rest of the stuff easy to upgrade if time goes on)
Check, it has USB-C Thunderbolt.

You could find one for around $500 to 800.

based and redpilled

>Of course my x220 is librebooted! Isn't yours?

Attached: averagethinkpaduser.jpg (1242x1394, 156K)

*sigh*....
Based
and
Unemployed-pilled.

A Mac really is the black people of computers.
They say, once you go Mac you never go back. But they always leave out the reason why: once you go Mac, nobody wants you back.

>x220
>libreboot
Why are you memeing something you don't even understand? x220 cannot have libreboot.

>people really would use a Thinkpad from 2008

Have fun with your shitty Intel Core 2 CPU lmao. Thinkpad is the worst meme of Jow Forums. Just buy a Dell XPS or something, tons better.

It doesn't have much power, sure.

But when you put libre/coreboot on it it becomes very very zippy.

Attached: 1507515370515.png (292x296, 143K)

How can you sleep at night knowing that your device is spying on you? How can you use your computer comfortably knowing that every key your press is recorded and the data sent through the Intel ME? At least my librebooted x60 doesn't send data about my sleeping schedule to some control freaks in DC.

Just stay with a Mac, buy one used for like $500.

Do you think the woman who developed the algorithm that took the first picture of a Black Hole was using some riced-up Thinkpad? Pic related, how many Thinkpads do you see here in the pic? hahaha...!

Most people on Jow Forums are just unemployed losers, go get a Mac and go hunting for your next job. 

Attached: 1549715194491.jpg (960x959, 99K)

Cleared the IME off my 8770w workstation laptop.

Gonna fucking solder SOIC socket adapter a pop in a 1Gigabit SOIC16 chip to this damn thing and pack it full of coreboot payload ROMs.

Assuming I can get Coreboot to build...

Attached: 1494775819359.jpg (1835x832, 219K)

unironically this

All frog/wojak shitposters and therefore bots.

>OLED like I think Retina screen is
>apple sheep are this delusional

Get a toughbook.

she cute

Attached: E789DADA-4F4B-4126-9BEC-901B2C39C253.gif (300x577, 279K)

>implying she would fuk you

Attached: 1546521733682.png (281x215, 44K)

100 times this

That's a nice photo of her black hole user

Attached: FEFEF5D1-91DD-4673-9E25-AC8C0BB9E6FC.jpg (600x427, 39K)

yes buy a macshit so you can "program" a "black hole" (screensaver) for all the dumb goys to justify a shitty "space program"
no thanks.

based

Uhm, that image isn't relevant to the photo...

mossad please leave

why did you get fired?

Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro

It's basically a copy of the Macbook Pro with a lower price tag and better keyboard, 1080p and good sRGB coverage, stellar battery life

Tbh I just buy like used Thinkpads, Elitebooks or whatever fits the bill. Refurb ones with 1.5 year warranty cost like 300 usd.

I know its not the latest but who cares. Top of the line machines, all work great with Linux, all have replaceable battery, etc. And you can just buy another one in a few years from the money you saved.

But unless you buy a 6 core Intel now (boy are those expensive!) you won't miss anything.

Shut up nibba

>lost the job
>lost

since you'll be working at jiffy lube, you probably just need an emachine tower for $5 from goodwill

bro, you're out of a job, you can't afford to throw away a bunch of money on a computer. just pick up the next desktop you see sitting on the side of the road.

Never fails.

God forbid you try to take credit for your discovery.

old thinkpads not new thinkpads

$1600 for chinkshit?

got the dell xps 13 the other day, it's awesome

I don't use ganoo garbage though because I need to be productive at work

the mob gets angry

>nibba/nigger
>normie/normalfag
I like it, helps me spot the redditors without any real effort

>>>>yOU'rE fRoM rEdDiT iF yOu aReN't eDjY eNoUgH tO pReTeNd tO bE bLaCk

shut up n****r

Jow Forumsjesuschristreddit

You must be fun at parties

>system76.com
Ive owned one.
Why they are such faggots, I do not know, but in all honesty, they could make something nice if they just adopted a thinkpad philosophy, or adopted a matrix keyboard layout.

Attached: 1553650568080.png (500x575, 216K)

Shut the fuck up redditor nigger

Thinkpads from T440p and up (look up specs on Thinkwiki), HP Zbook from G1, probably G2 if you want PCI passthrough (I use G1 myself), beware of broken parts. Elitebooks and Dell Precision should be alright as well in terms of durability and future-proofing if they come with DDR3 and i7, but I dunno where you'll dig the info about their screens.

r/suddenlygay

Wow the prices for that company are crazy.

>boss expects me to pay ~$800 to keep the MacBook Pro that I've used the last 4 years working for him.
Was it a company laptop? If so why would you expect to be able to just keep it for free after leaving?

It's not unreasonable for an employee to keep their work laptop when they've loyally slaved away for a company for 4 years. Considering it their severance package or whatever.

Regardless, it doesn't look like OP implied he deserves to get it for free, but rather that he shouldn't need to pay such a steep price for it. You can go on ebay and find a MBP for a fraction of that price. Hell, you could almost buy a brand new one for a bit more than that price.

I'm surprised he was even offered the opportunity to buy it. I've never gotten the option to retain my work laptop after leaving a job, for a cost or otherwise.
And the business doesn't care how much an equivalent laptop costs, they care about the cost to them to replace it. If they keep the laptop, they can hand it off to the next employee. If they give it to OP, they need to buy a new laptop, pay the person who takes the time to buy the laptop, and pay the person who sets up the laptop to integrate it with their corporate network and software stack.

shut the fuck up don't say the n word

She barely did any of it

>they can hand it off to the next employee
What makes you think there is a next employee?
>pay the person who sets up the laptop to integrate it with their corporate network and software stack
What makes you think there's such a thing?

All jobs I've worked at is "we give you a blank laptop, it's your job to fix up VStudio etc". Welcome to startup life.

Nigger

He probably reverse engineered the Management Engine and managed to replace it

its ok, my mailman is black

>expects me to pay ~$800 to keep the MacBook Pro (15", mid-2014) that I've used the last 4 years working for him.

Are you expecting it for less or not to pay?

seething söy redditor

Most people work for actual companies and not just some 22 year old who wants to revolutionize juice with a 3 month business plan.

He's actually a boomer (45) and thinks Apple products lose zero value, but yes.

>libreboot
Don't tell you guys actually use this.

Why not ?_?

>Lost the job today
Why did your boss find out you're a dumb frog faggot.

what did she discover exactly?

Search for /tpg/ here on Jow Forums.
Posted from my T430s lole

Rolling last two digits for our push ups bros

Widespread professional usage of crApple products and Winblows can be explained away as people who live busy lives spend less time thinking about the quality of the user experience on computers or how much money they piss away on over-priced iShit. It is in no shape or form evidence that commercial products are a better choice. It's just evidence that - surprise, surprise - mainstream tech shit is more popular. Do you really think people who aren't computer aficionados are gonna bother with Linux or hunt down robust laptops for an optimal user experience? Yuppies just buy whatever chic garbage their friends and colleagues buy.

10 year old laptops? wtf m8?

>bother with Linux or hunt down robust laptops for an optimal user experience

what

you think gentoo has the potential for the optimal user experience?

Depends on your professional needs. Some jobs demand certain programs that will only run on Winshit and/or Macshit. That notwithstanding, Linux is the preferable choice to me. With Linux you create and control your user experience. With Winshit and Macshit you're served a plateful of dogshit and if you don't like it, tough. And with proprietary software, it never really feels like it belongs to you. It always feels like you're on someone else's turf - and it's people you don't like too (and they don't like you either). You never feel at home when you login to your pc; you always feel like a guest.

Based

>not reverse engineering ME to spy on intel

Attached: 1506944884055.jpg (389x339, 46K)

If your precious Thinkpads and Linux were actually that good quality and prices, they'd outsell Apple. The free market has spoken.

The product that sells the most isn't necessarily the best, it might be the one with the best marketing

Nice roll

By this logic, some of the best music artists are pre-teen pop idols. The majority of people are very stupid, including myself.

Hey, my t420 is only 7 yrs old

There are also good ones up to around 2012 and t430 has 3rd gen CPU, t420 can be upgraded to one if librebooted. As long as you use an ssd and ganoo slash loonix there should be no speed problems.

>once you go Mac, nobody wants you back.

Nothing really. She wrote a relatively small amount of code related to the discovery of an image of a black hole.
However a bunch of redditfags are giving her all of the credit.

*corebooted

>> Battery life *on GNU/Linux* (I've really liked macOS, but don't have the effort to Hackintosh, and I know some laptops get awful battery when not running Windows)
already at this point you won't find alternatives from Macs, don't believe Jow Forums or ask these questions here, they will come up with clunky pisspads that will last 30min using linux

I didn't payed for mine 2016 15' retina mbp fully specced, so I guess he expected same

/thread

Just buy the mbp or a similar one locally and be done with it. Run whatever you want on it. You’ll waste more time looking for some alternative. Time is money user.

Attached: 7A286392-D672-43D8-A3E7-8BDCB3BA4532.jpg (600x820, 159K)

Nothing less for my fellow thinkpad bros

Attached: 1554858246238.png (723x666, 163K)

this is the harsh truth that Jow Forums doesnt wanna hear
none of these thinkpad basement dwellers actually have jobs, dont listen to them

Andrew Chael wrote most of the code.
Shes not even an astronomer.