/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme setup for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Attached: 1552927204167s.jpg (250x250, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/44084-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html
amazon.com/V7-LED236W3R-8N-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B008ABP0W4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
youtube.com/watch?v=zZB7RU1L8jM&t=41s
pcpartpicker.com/user/MaximusElefante/saved/4v6nHx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

can i train memory on a low end intel mobo?

RAM latency, final update

read the OP, this is of course meant for dual channel. No one can research it better than with this graph

here it is, updated

>no amd cards above the budget 570
Fuck yourself.

Nvidia has a new gen, while AMD doesn't. Believe me, Navi can't get here soon enough

What are the best times for sales besides Black Friday/December?

>dual channel
He said dual rank, which has a negligible to 5% benefit

repost that shit reeeeeeeeeeee

Sir , please update the OP post with RX 590 8GB for 1440p gaming, do the needful and thank you

i fucked up yet again, so here you go, final edit

Attached: RAM (Ryzen).png (624x789, 56K)

Can anyone recommend a good small cube case? I currently have a corsair carbide air 240. I hate the build quality, but it's got better reviews than other small cube cases.
However, I can't help but think that there's a better one out there.

>recommending virusware Intel CPUs
>ignoring how cheap RX580s are when that's all most people need for their needs
>ignoring Strix Vega56 being $350 and Red Devil Vega56 being $314
yikes

Sir, why no AMD cards? Do the needful sir. Raydeon 7 very good card for 1080p, 16gb ram, sir.

But it's a powerhog and it heats your room (and summer is coming...)
>just undervolt
but then i lose performance

>lose performance
hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/44084-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html

>lose performance
Tbh, you gain performance when you undervolt most of the time.

Better, but the "score" is still arbitrary and pointless. You could just have one column with the true latency(ns) and rank.

Does Silverstone FT-02 count as a cube? I'd recommend it over the garbage you're thinking of.

They are "overvolted" stock to supply enough voltage to keep the worst possible GPU stable. You can generally undervolt without reducing clocks. This is independently verified by hundreds of people if you'd bother to look.
And for Vega56 specifically, they have artificially reduced memory speeds stock to keep them from being too close in performance to Vega64. Every single one can have memory clocked at least 12.5% higher at a minimum.

>They are "overvolted" stock to supply enough voltage to keep the worst possible GPU stable.
>They are "overvolted" stock to supply enough voltage to keep the worst possible GPU stable.
And trust me goy, it's a mere 0.0001% of those gpus that need that voltage
Amd did it just for laughts, as a joke.
You certainly are not playing lottery with GPUs, buy yours today!
0.9V undervolts and perfectly stable performance is guaranteed!

Disclamer:AMD is not responsible nor legally obligated to provide the results promised by user the shill

So who needs 2070? Do you really benefit from the extra 2 gigs of vram?

Only saying cause its the only rtx missing from the suggestions

You're a fucking moron. You know google exists, right? Find me one single example of someone who can't undervolt their vega below stock.

I'd say 2070 is the best value if you're into deep learning/using your GPU for algo training and want to start off without Amazon or Colab servers.

Just undervolt, sir. Please add vega to op.

>AMD gave a all of their GPUS too much voltage
>as a joke
>for lulz
>no reason at all
>all of them can run on 0.9V
>they just upped the voltage to 1.2V for giggles

.95V @ 1400/1050mhz stable, eat shit.

>muh performance
I can crank the shit out of it if I want to put headphones on, no point in doing so if I'm just going to gain 5-10 fps.

Where the fuck have you pulled 0.9v from? Did you even look at , a VERY conservative undervolt showing a huge performance uplift.

>but why did AMD overvolt it so much then?
>to make a big margin of GPUS still function at those specs
>so a lot of them need the voltage

>undervolt good sir, actually a lot of them don't need that voltage and AMD overvolted literally ALL their GPUS just for shits and giggles

I won the lottery, eat shit.

>a lot of them need the voltage
Prove it. Find evidence. Surely it must be easy.

>Do you really benefit from the extra 2 gigs of vram?
No

Silence is not an argument, you are required to prove that ALL V56 can be undervolted, which is a moronic statement. As the other user indicated, AMD doesn't have those stock settings for laughs

No CPUs are secure, in fact no system connected to the internet is secure, so quit meming about "muh security"
The 570 is listed and is only around 12% behind the 580, but I guess you're too stupid to know that
V56 was pretty meh compared to the 1070Ti, and it's even worse when compared to the 2060

>AMD overvoltage ALL of their vegas
>because merely a 0.000001% of vegas needed that voltage
>prove to me it wasn't just 0.00001% of vegas
>surely it must be easy to prove AMD overvolted all their vegas and make them hotter and perform worse, just "because"

>Silence is not an argument
Actually, on the internet, it is. You know damn well comments always have a negative bias, if there is a rare problem with something you can be damn sure the minority will not shut the fuck about it.
You can't find any though, can you?

> the "score" is still arbitrary and pointless
it would've been, if i had set more decimals on latency. Live to improve i guess. If i went this far, i won't leave it half-assed

Fixed

Attached: RAM (Ryzen) final.png (570x788, 51K)

>falling for the 6gb meme
fuck off nvidiots

>posts benchmark of the RTX 2060 DUNKING on Vega 64 in some meme game
Get owned, AMDjeets.

Time to stop posting 6GB cards in the op.

>won the lottery
It's not even the best case scenario, either way here's the difference with an R5 2600 @4.1Ghz. It's really not a big deal between stock and UV besides the noise and temps.

>1452 (1400 under load) /950mV /1050Mhz HBM2 @75*C 2200RPM
2069 on heaven.
>1502 (1450 under load) /1000mV /1050Mhz HBM2 @75*C 2400RPM
2100 on heaven.
>1602 (1540 under load) /1150mV /1050Mhz HBM2 @80*C 2800RPM
2186 on heaven.
>1702 (1630-1640 under load) /1200mV /1050Mhz HBM2 @80*C 4000RPM
2240 on heaven.

we must shill harder bros! nothing less than 16GB of VRAM will do in 2019!

>dude check out this SICK undervolt when I reduce the core frequency as well!
Woah BRO!

SICK so you can like, advertize higher performance and then tell users to give up that performance when they actually get it because it runs hot and loud
Thanks AMD, I am sure to buy gaming GPU form you next year as well.

Factory is set to 1602/1200mV/975Mhz @ 100%PL and it's unstable as fuck and won't hold above 1500mhz. You get better fps even with the lower core clock.

Real hard to load a profile for whatever I'm doing, huh?

>dude free lotery performance!
>but if it just so happens to turn out that you don't win the lottery, know that AMD can't be held responsible for you not winning it, after all they never guaranteed your win
>but dude LAMO buy the lottery ticket, I won a limo yesterday!

The hilarious thing about trying to argue these bullshit lies to people, is that tons of Jow Forums owners actually HAVE Vega56 and no one has these terrible results you claim are all you can manage.

I've read from others with the same model and all seem to have similar results, give or take.

>to make a big margin of GPUS still function at those specs
>so a lot of them need the voltage
It seems the only reasons that voltage is so high is for OpenCL stability. Games only need like 80-85% of that voltage to be stable even on the worst die.

A better comparison would be stock vs your undervolt.

1400MHz isn't reducing the core frequency by half. Stock is what... 1471Mhz on Vega 56? You're retarded.

Do you have a source showing the 2070 is better for deep learning than Vega or something?
People seem to automatically assume Nvidia is better because "muh tensor cores" and marketing but Tensorflow performance on Radeon VII is actually extremely good.

>The hilarious thing about trying to argue these bullshit lies to people, is that tons of Jow Forums owners actually HAVE Vega56 and no one has these terrible results you claim are all you can manage.
Yeah like me, me, me and oh me.
God, just look at all of Jow Forums that is me shilling for AMD!

Why are you such a retard? You've been memeing over and over about the same thing and it's not going to make what you're saying correct.

UV/OC is the easiest shit.

I'll get you those results in a sec.

Attached: jKeErOD[1].jpg (1850x735, 411K)

wow like dude like you are right, anybody who disagrees with our lord and saivor AMD is a retard, like how do these sheepie don't see the truth?
Like I keep telling every one undervolt, overclock, simple. But nvidiots just dont get it undervolt, overclock.
I gained so much performance after I undervolt, overclock, its amazing how much people underestimate undervolt, overclock, just free performance.

>don't buy Nvidia cards because your auto-OC results might not be as good as some youtuber's!

Yup.
Only stock results are guaranteed.

Attached: x00YAdG[1].jpg (2100x1111, 718K)

i got a 32 inch VA 1440p monitor to replace the 32 inch cheapo tv i was using and the colour seems off no matter how much i fuck with the limited settings, it also seems like the whole screen is just black light bleed, i have it hooked up to my xbox at the moment, VA panels are ment to be the same thing tvs use right? its crisp with the higher rez but that just means i can see the shit colours in all there glory, am i going to have to rma this thing or is there something im not doing right? its a LG 32GK650F-B

2082 on balanced, never went above 1500Mhz.

Attached: ccHntMk[1].jpg (1949x1345, 228K)

Dropped voltage to 1100mV and raised HBM to 1050. Everything else the same.

Attached: 8mUdzgd[1].jpg (2101x1349, 410K)

Peak at 1572Mhz and 83*C, fans at 2800RPM. 2217.

Attached: BaYAWmt[1].jpg (2108x1330, 620K)

Alright so your 950mv is only about 5% slower while being much cooler and lower power consumption. Your 1050mv is lower power while performing better. Sounds right.

Try windows calibration as well as the OSD. It's under display and resolution settings, link at the bottom.

Sure, only stock is "guaranteed", yet even the worst 1660Ti will get a few mhz extra core and memory OC. Just like how every Vega56 will get at least a 12.5% memory OC, even if it has Hynix HBM2, which is more significant gains.

AMD has done this since the beginning of time. 7950 7970, 290 290X, 570 580. The former of each is artificially gimped much lower than the chip is capable to sell the higher end one to normies who don't want to fiddle.

>min fps 30
nice s-s-sutters

The mins are usually just scene switches.

Sirs plz buy rx 590 for beauty 1440p30 perf, is console quality just do the needful

I'm curious as to why the general pasta says to build around monitor if gaming. Surely the only difference it would make is if you are going for 1080 vs 4k right? You should build around processor, then gpu, then monitor to suit those two right?

No, monitor first, because that tells you what performance target you're trying to hit. Res tells you graphics card, Hz tells you CPU

>Does Silverstone FT-02
That's a tower which is more of rectangle than a cube. Learn your shapes and get back to me.

>going for 1080 vs 4k
This is a massive difference in required GPU muscle.
>You should build around processor, then gpu, then monitor to suit those two right?
Most games these days are graphics bound. The CPU of course is important but since AMD released Ryzen a while back, all but the most anemic budget CPUs will provide near acceptable performance for modern games. High refresh rate (120 Hz+) gaming does require special considerations. Either way, building around the monitor is critical. If you have a shitty monitor it won't matter if you have the best PC in the world because your games will look and feel like dogshit.

First time builder, i got it together, everything seems to be running fine, but i autisticly yanked the graphics cards retention clip out, i have a anti sag bar and a box that my hyper x headsets wires came in holding it up, its bugging me tho, is it possible to fix the clip or take a clip from another slot and put it in the top slot, or just move the card down a slot?
its a z390 aurous elite

Having owned an RX580, 1070, and Vega 56, Vega 56 is definitely unique in how overvolted it is stock and how poorly tuned it is for gaming stock.
It's almost surely to do with some of its special machine learning functions which aren't used in games. It's the way that AMD has their "flexible cores" compared to Nvidia having lots of different specialized cores, combined with their lack of software voltage control to automatically detect the workload and adjust voltage like Pascal/Volta/Turing do.

I don't remember a card that gets such big gains from fiddling with it the way Vega does since the 7970, but even more so. And they did recently add auto-OC and auto-undervolt options to Wattman.

Yeah on the first attempt of making a FAQ paste, I did go over dual rank. But that one was WAY too long and difficult to read.
I should readd it.
Should also add something about the pros and cons of used, as it seems to come up every thread at least once, too.

It has a square shaped base. It's a tall cube.
It looks more like a tower than "tower" cases, but towers are a misnomer for them.

Gaming usually means higher hz. You should figure out what image quality (number of pixels and panel) and refresh rate you want FIRST then build around that.

You mean the part that holds in that elbow on the end? You could see about canalizing the clip from another PCIe slot. Your board also may be able to run the main GPU in a different PCIe slot than the top one.

So I got two monitors, this absolute beast amazon.com/V7-LED236W3R-8N-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B008ABP0W4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 and an ASUS VS247.

I'm pretty happy with the ASUS monitor but the other one I had is like 8 years old or some shit (mom bought it for me when I was in high school for Christmas). What's a solid monitor that fits in a VESA dual monitor stand? Not looking for 4k but might consider 1440. Got an RX 580 8gb if that factors into the recommendation.

is the clip broken? you might be able tojam it back in

Also I'm looking for a "main monitor" if that helps

>The mins are usually just scene switches.

Let's be perfectly clear here, despite all the security flaws of Intel, from a purely performance perceptive Intel is still better than AMD. Now we all hope Zen2 will finally surpass but until then, Intel is king.

so my computer has wifi on it, is there anything cool that I can do with that?

>ryzen 7 shown at ces barely beat a 9900k in an amd favorable benchmark
Think Intel will still be king even after zen 2, especially for gayman

Connect to the internet, I think

Opinions on curved monitors?
They look alright, online but not sure if it's going to look good in person. Looking at a 27" curved

Thats what I figured but I was thinking if I could connect my phone to my pc or something to be even lazier.

sirs, the op needs more amd gpu units, do the needful

some times they can have bluetooth functionality

Need bluetooth for that

Do you want to game on it or no?
1440p is the highest you should go for gaming on a RX580. It won't run newer games maxed, though. But it'll run most at like medium-high AA off. ie console-quality settings.
4k is better for just general web browsing, productivity, etc, though.

Literally no one argues anyway.
It's just when asked
>Is an extra 10-20fps worth the massive amount of unpatchable security risks and extra 100-150W of power consumption? Is it worth not having an upgrade path to a new generation of CPUs on a better process node?
The answer to most sane people is: no.

If Intel would disclose what actual hardware security fixes are being implemented in Comet Lake transparently AND Comet Lake worked on Z370 and Z390 boards, then I'd feel more comfortable recommending it.
But how can I recommend a 9700k when yet a new major security vulnerability will be unveiled next month, and the month after, and the month after, and the month after, and many of them will be unpatchable like last month's?

>barely beat 250W CPU with a 65W CPU that's not their high end SKU
I-it's shit I swear buy Intel.

i saw one in store, im not sure if i could get used too it, your best option is to go to a store that has them and check them out, even if you dont actually buy it from there, sometimes you get better deals online

Yeah, I'm thinking will still be the way to go for games. I watched the benchs for the 12 cores parts, and the memory latency regressed to zen levels, not to mention they won't be even close to 5ghz.

i have an 9700k, how worried should i realisticly be?

Planning to replace my 2 full HD shit 22 inch monitors with one 40 inch 4k monitor. Should turn out somewhat similar, except slightly higher pixel density, no bezels and effectively double the monitors.

At that size and at PC distances, I'm concerned that a flat monitor will be annoying. My current monitors are tilted towards me.

The Philips BDM4037UW seems to be my only option in Europe since AOC doesn't sell theirs here.

Since these monitors usually support picture by picture with 4 inputs and because Windows can only tile 4 windows normally, I plan to connect all 4 inputs for up to 16 window tiles.

For super retard mode, I would like to even attach my two old monitors vertically on the side. Essentially that would be 6 monitors from one GPU - the RTX 2080, which has 4 outputs, but the display ports should support monitor hubs - unsure if the GPU can have more than 4 monitors though. Supposedly it's possible to drive 4 monitors from one GPU and 2 from the CPUs IGPU, unfortunately I opted for a Xenon CPU which doesn't have that. Might be time to upgrade though.

But my main concern is whether or not a 40 inch monitor at desk distances can even work without being curved.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 174K)

Honestly, you shouldn't. Zen 2 won't clock close to the 9700k and the memory latency is still terrible.

Some of the vulnerabilities can work through Javascript. "Games" you install can also take advantage of these vulnerabilities the same way
I'd be very scared to have encrypted passwords saved in my browser, encrypted credit cards saved in my browser, crypto wallets on my PC, etc, if I were using an Intel CPU. If you memorize all your passwords and never have your browser save them, and dont use crypto wallets, and have no other sensitive information that would ever be in memory which you thought may be safe due to encryption, I'd say you're fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=zZB7RU1L8jM&t=41s is the latest one which appears to have been used for state sponsored hacking, so it very well may have been used to steal millions or billions of dollars of data. There is LITERALLY a new major vulnerability every month. No severe ones have affected AMD so far.

Personally, I don't find that insecurity circus to be worth a few more FPS. I get around 90-180fps in everything I play fine with a 1600X.

That monitor is WAY too close for that size of display.

>citation needed

>the same way
that some games had crypto miners.
I didn't finish writing that.

>I get around 90-180fps in everything I play fine with a 1600X.

Attached: bruh ryzen doesn't bottleneck GPUs.jpg (3844x2164, 840K)

>haha Steve accidentally disabled a whole CCX making it a 4c/8t chip with half the cache. check these legit benchmarks out
retard

Based Radeon VII though. Why do you guys try and hide how good that card is? 2080 perf or better for cheaper with double the VRAM.
We should remove the 2080 from the OP entirely based on that image.

>>haha Steve accidentally disabled a whole CCX making it a 4c/8t chip with half the cache. check these legit benchmarks out
What form of cope is this? Do you just make shit up because it makes you feel better?

Why do you keep giving attention to the namefag amd shill? I honestly don't know why he's still coming to these threads to get btfo day after day.

>lets not talk about the CPUS
>instead lets look at the GPUS
>My isn't radeon a good looking GPU, look at that performance, it even makes you feel more manly
>Why I would buy two myself, if I wasn't thinking of you my dear customer who also wants to buy some of these

is it the guy that said the 590 was good for 1440p because of 8 gb of ram?

Rather than thinking of it as one large monitor, think of it as 4 regular monitors.

I'm reasonably happy with my two side by side monitors and I assume most of us are. I don't think I would hate it if I had two more on top of them.

In addition, most of what I would run, I would run on subsections of the monitor, rather than on all of it, just like using 4 individual monitors.

pcpartpicker.com/user/MaximusElefante/saved/4v6nHx
Does anyone see any redflags? will my RAM be fine without heatsinks?

Attached: goodGirlsLikeBadGuys.gif (171x171, 1.08M)

>Recommending 6gb cards.
Is this thread sponsored by nvidia?

Top kek

it's hilarious how amdrones are still trying to push the "intel has security vulnerabilities" meme with different imaginary theories of how someone could be affected when in reality there's yet to be one person actually affected by them.

cooler is overkill
mobo has garbo vrms

it seemed like a decent power for price card...

i dont know much about vrms, if i dont intend on overclocking much does it matter?

plssss do the needful and buy a 2060 so you have 60 FPS in 1080[[ titles for the next 3 months

wait for navi sirs

sirs navi offers 2080 rtx performance for $200 please wait