What are the benefits of proprietary software?

Thoughts?

Attached: Yes.gif (350x258, 1.55M)

it works

/thread

Pretty much this

There are none
>Usually costs money
>License usually has to be renewed
>It works no better than free shit
>Closed source
>Written by pajeets usually

you can take something no one owns (order of 1s and 0s) and sell it to people

see: capitalism

software patents lmao

china lmao

>It works no better than free shit
lol

>give a man or a woman a cat, he becomes a garlic boy or a catlady
>give a physicist a cat, he becomes schrödinger
ofc the dumb nigger user of proprietary s/w that expects 4 working buttons is going to claim just works tm.
otoh the demanding oss user wants 100 working buttons, a batch mode for his batch jobs, an agile config file with options and ofc a place to submit patches.
just like car drivers
faggot buys $100k mercedes, gets blown the fuck out even though it behaves like a boat.
race driver drives a car with $5mil mods and r&d car, step out after several laps and complains about the suspension, the gear ratio and the engine's torque curve.

I used DOS, then Windows 1.0, then 3.0, then 3.11, then I paid $20 for M$ to send me the install floppies for Chicago (95 beta) and a lot of my 16 bit software that wasn't basically a gui for a DOS program would refuse to run, throwing a "this is not a valid win32 application" error. A lot of the software I used on the regular, some of it for work, fell into that category. Contacting the developers, they had all refused to release 32bit versions of their software so long as w95 was still beta software as they didn't want to waste money developing for an OS that could potentially fail. So I opted for free software by switching to Linux. Ironically, in 1993-1994 there really wasn't anything that lacked a free software clone.For the following 24 years, I used free software exclusively, until my thinkpad died and a friend gifted me a macbook air 13". At first I ran only Linux on it, but after a time I decided to boot into the macOS partition to poke around and see how terrible it was.

Only ... It wasn't. I could run every piece of free software I was used to, as well as proprietary software without using WINE. Moreover, on Linux segfaults were just a fact of life... Sometimes they happened, and I'd have to attach gdb, figure out what caused it, go to the project page for the offending program, see if there was a patch, apply the patch, etc. Losing an hour or two when shit broke was just something I was used to. In fact, it had made "install Gentoo" more than just a meme, since using any other distro meant all the headaches of getting the source package and all of the -dev packages for the dependency packages to fix shit when it broke, but at least with Gentoo it was already built from source. But... On macOS, the shit didn't break. It just werks.

Now... I'm a macfaggot. And I don't care.

>Works no better than frew shit
wrong

one shekel has been deposited in your account

>tl;dr: I'm straight until I use mac

>All proprietary software is owned by big jewish corps!
Go outside, freetard.

>Implying the opinion of children that jerk off to Chinese cartoons and boys with dicks matters to me.

Hence the "And I don't care." part.

proprietary softwares have as an advantage: funding, are expected to be idiotproof, have a dedicated team working on them(see: funding), wider userbase(more opportunity for feedback),
and more resources at their disposal(aside from funding, which is big: did I mention?)

software used for commercial music production is a good case for proprietary vs. foss, proprietary music software tends to be more accessible(user friendly), and "it just works".

This.

money

>>It works no better than free shit

Attached: 1529719458862.png (625x626, 66K)

>that greentext
nice gay fantasy, faggot

>freetards never go outside
who is stallman

You forgot to take your antipsychs this morning user

No shekels have been deposited in your account ever, because
>he does it for free

fpbp

You forgot to take your antipsychs this morning user