Took the plunge and decided to give Linux a spin on my thinkpad. One of you guys recommend Mint...

Took the plunge and decided to give Linux a spin on my thinkpad. One of you guys recommend Mint. This is such a comfortable, quick experience. The documentation hasn't been too tough, and all of my questions are easy to answer via Google. I'm so impressed that it's FOSS. Thank you for the good recommendation

Attached: Logo_Linux_Mint.png (622x565, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spins.fedoraproject.org/en/kde/
spyware.neocities.org/guides/firefox.html
if-not-true-then-false.com/2012/howto-change-runlevel-on-grub2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I used mint for awhile too

but then you run into niggling issues and incredibly slow updates and realize you want something better supported and switch to debian

You haven't even seen KDE plasma yet...

Attached: manjaro-16.06_kde-5.6.4_3-menus-applications.gif (1920x1080, 1.41M)

I'm using Mint and I have 5.0 kernel and Mesa 19, what am I missing that really matters?

I'm open to changing it up, no problem. I use this machine for light programming and personal stuff when I'm away from home.

Tell me more user

I just broke my LM installation after installing DIGImend. Now it doesn't boot and only shows a black page.
Help.

Attached: 1529920515228.png (242x293, 187K)

Every time I see a "tried x distro of linux", I am either getting ready for a rant from a itoddler or some hot girl leaning over a macbook with ubuntu on it.

install debian

t. hot gilr leaning over a debian memepad

also using Mint and like it far better then ubuntu, it reminds me of XP (in a good way) but im new and only know 2 commands. How do secure linux? do you just do banking in a VM? is there virus ware?

Attached: 1552880022925.png (778x962, 471K)

Well, if you only installed apps from the default app repository and didn't run any unknown scripts then you are secure already

dont listen to him i like plasma but cinnamon is a much more stable and complete DE

*Krashes*

Install Microsoft Windows

Is KDE Neon okay for a winfag's first Linux distro? Or should I pick something else and put KDE on it?

You're semi secure

There's kernel changes you can make to be more secure but then you get inconvenienced a bit

I've never used neon, but kde in general blows every other DE on linux out of the water

Kubuntu first
Then move to fedora kde

font sizes in KDE are so ugly and all over the place. it's a shame cause otherwise it'd look quite decent.

>oh no I get slow updates
>better switch to debian
nice bait

Things work better in debian than in mint and that is in part due to better updates.

KDE is an unstable mess and has always been an unstable mess since the beggining of time, stay away from that shit
Just use Xfce or any of the gnome forks that try to make gnome tolerable/decent (cinnamon, budgie, mate, etc)

debian is a meme distro, there's a reason there's a gorillion other distros that try to make it usable. But hey, if it works for you I'm happy buddy.

I was thinking about Fedora

Which version? MATE and cinnamon fucked with my xorg sometimes. Xfce works perfectly though.
Also, if you're new learn to make a separate /home partition while installing, it will save you a lot of headaches

Been using mint for 3 years now as my daily driver on my PC and my Laptop that I use for uni.
Switched to Manjaro GNU/Linux on my PC because I wanted to try something fresh and I am positively surprised so far.

I would like to actually like KDE, but is and has always been an unstable mess.
Stick with anything with xfce (manjaro default or mint-xfce) it may not be as good looking, but is rock solid and easy on the resources

Do you guys know any solution to linux mint's wifi problem. It loses wifi connection sometimes.

Not a Mint issue. WiFi hardware manufacturer either has shit hardware or shit drivers. Use the windows drivers if you can and see if they work.

Try it, it's great
spins.fedoraproject.org/en/kde/

Attached: 1554901380395.png (2000x2000, 283K)

Fedora KDE is bugged as fuck.
>KDE is an unstable mess
Not anymore.

Attached: 1554678221898.jpg (512x512, 41K)

Cinnamon and kde is just as stable.
>MUH kde before 5.10 but after release of 5 is unstable meme

use unstable releases if you feel like your software is outdated.

you must really want a virus to get infected on linux. if you want security look up how to configure iptables and check out spyware.neocities.org/guides/firefox.html
also, use vpn when using public networks.

If you don't like slow updates in Debian, just change it. Takes two seconds. You DO know that you can control that, right?

Attached: 1465660294735.gif (500x216, 871K)

Looks like a developer's first attempt at UI design.

same feels but i switched to OpenSUSE for the image previews.
OpenSUSE is pretty good for what it is (KDE)
It has never krashed on me and seems more stable than Linux Mint.
>Mint kept crashing for no reason
mint is a great distro for beginners but once you get used to linux you should move on to something a little better.

I started with mint too. Now using kali light on my laptop and manjaro KDE on desktop. Consider giving manjaro a whirl on a live USB or vm you'd probably dig it.

This x1000. Recently switched away from mint for these exact reasons.

there are like 5 to 10 documented viruses which affect linux systems. getting one is akin to winning the lottery. all the anti virus programs on linux more or less just exist so you don't spread viruses to windows machines.
mind you that doesn't mean there isn't malware on linux

This.

>this particular iteration of KDE is totally stable guys, just trust me
yea, no. I know what KDEfags consider "stable". It's a product of them lowering their standards throughout 23 years of development.

you need the bleeding edge repos and even those are kinda slow
besides that, updates is only one of many problems with dedian. It's just not meant for desktop use in the first place, only edgy wannabe h4x00rs use debian isntead of any of its forks that are atually desktop-ready.

>only edgy wannabe h4x00rs use debian instead of any of its forks that are atually desktop-ready.
So many buzzwords, so much stupidity. You realize it takes about 5 minutes to make Debian look like Mint or any flavor of Ubuntu right?

What does mint actually offer that ubuntu doesn't have? You would think cinnamon but even that can be installed on ubuntu.

and only 2 days to deal with 10 million server-oriented user permissions to start using it.

I actually wonder this as well. Especially if you want to do some gaming does it just have better initial drivers or something?

Mint has a Debian base as well

>Which version?
Cinnamon, although I finally fixed it by uninstalling digimend thanks to the help of some user in /fglt/.

Change runlevel to 1 in Grub. Google how to do this. Try updating and uninstalling DIGImend.

Sorry try runlevel 3 first. Runlevel 1 is without network drivers.

More info here.

if-not-true-then-false.com/2012/howto-change-runlevel-on-grub2/

I already solved it, but thanks anyway. Apparently it was just DIGImend preventing X from starting for some reason. Uninstalling DIGImend through the console immediately fixed it.

Something about this is rather amusing.

Attached: 1540773036834.png (900x498, 108K)

I'm sorry for being a stupid retard.

Attached: 1551504653721.jpg (437x501, 14K)

Heh, people do retarded stuff all the time. I've even wiped my partition table once when I didn't understand dd.

KDE is utter crap.

It has some pretty good software but i just can't stand using kde itself. Feels a bit too bloaty for me.

True, but everything else is far worse.

How do you edit themes? I only installed linux mint to rice the fuck out of everything since Wangblows never allowed it.
nowadays though I'm starting to learn the terminal via apropros but I still want everything to look pretty

I will investigate my dude. Thank you