Is this what happens to every foss when allowing a community to contribute?

Is this what happens to every foss when allowing a community to contribute?

Attached: 1546197652333.jpg (1200x1098, 316K)

What exactly does const mean?

what's wrong with adding "const" when it's appropriate... nothing.
just because it's a woman doing it doesn't make it less or more valueable.

variable value won’t be changed

EASY
MODE

but there’s literally nothing wrong with that. It may have prevented an exploit down the line.

this and the compiler will enforce that it doesn't change

the only reason why she got scholarship for 300 consts is that she is a woman of colour

The sad part is this is still more than what 90% of this board has contributed. That being zero code and autistic posts about CoCs on GitHub.

New
Very hear the story about the man with a hammer? Charges thousands to hit something with a hammer to fix it, client says wtf you hit it with a hammer why so expensive
The cost is because the guy knows where to hit it.

The absolute fucking state of Jow Forums

why should i bother developing anything if SJWs are just going to shit up my PRs with useless COCs? open source just isnt worth the liberal outrage anymore

what kind of cuck contributes to open source projects?
I only write propetiary software

Also doesn't make it worthy of scholarships or praise.

based

She's cheating the system to get ahead of actually knowledgeable and hard working people.
You can try talking pedantics but it is what it is. Her intentions are obviously to use the commits to boost her opportunities, not make the kernel better.

>Linux = Linux Foundation
My favorite episode.

If you look back much farther in her commits you'll find that she contributed more than just consts before she went on her const crusade.
Not that I would expect Jow Forums to actually check the validity of claims.

Like this dumb nigger.

This is completely worthless post OP.
Do one instead about how RMS put a joke in gnu? Docs about aborting a program government had no say about it (political satire) and women and literally a pre op mtf trans complained and opened a review about it 20 years after the fact because as a man RMS doesn't know what it's like to have jokes made about abortion which is necessary because living in perpetual state of fear being raped.
Yes. A mtf trans person telling a man he knows what it's like as a woman about rape and abortion.
Now if you ask me THAT is a dev community that's lost sight of its purpose

>i corrected 300 typos in the kernel
>gibe scholarship plox

If you go even FARTHER and look at the commits themselves, you'll see they're things like removing useless casts or removing functions that aren't used.

In short, she opened the linux kernel in an ide and pressed alt+enter a few times.

don't hate player hate the game

In short, she is autistic and thus a perfect representation of Jow Forums.

So although at first glance I can see how doing this sort of thing is worthwhile and beneficial even as simple as it is, I have to wonder why the fuck she took so long.

If you discovered that something was consistently being assigned to a dynamic variable incorrectly, why spend a whole fucking year taking your time to fix it. Either she is incompetent, or truly was just trying to bolster her street cred. Maybe even had her eye on this scholarship the whole time.

Something's fishy here, Jow Forumsuys!

Why post inane ignorant waffle on an anonymous imageboard?
Why does anyone open source? Idiot.

>heh yeah I’d contribute my super awesome l33tx hacker code to the kernel but you know, it’s so good it’d probably trigger all those sjw types
Code talks, you shouldn’t

She is just better at the game than you.

i never understood the point of a VARIABLE that cannot be changed

90% is unreasonably conservative, I doubt that even an expert forum has a >10% base of actual developers

This

Something needs to hold values. Variables are just what we call them, most of the time.

If you want to be technical, declaring a value just reserves a certain amount of space in memory
Const makes it so the value cannot be changed after it is initialized, otherwise it is a variable
Why we refer to all values as variables is confusing to me

Oh, and for the point. It's much more efficient if it is known that the variable won't change. As long as the value could be variable the compiler has to take more steps to ensure that there won't be problems induced by the fact that the value might change while the program is running.

sweet CS class 101

think about it

variable was a bad choice of name, for this reason we have to use the word variadic to describe indefinite length arrays and function parameters

source: my prejudiced ass

fuck off retard.

It's so you can use the same type system as all the variables you utter moron.

Attached: 1554941464132.jpg (700x700, 209K)

I have no idea what you just said there. You alright bud? Should I call someone?

Are you upset you didn't do it first?

somebody have to do it, let it be niggers

Attached: YOU_MY_SLAVE.jpg (731x1000, 63K)

If you can read enough of the kernel code to determine whether a variable can be made read-only and then commit that upstream and not break anything then go right ahead and start contributing as well.

Why drag other people down for contributing to the kernel?

*kills you*
hey dont hate me, hate the game lol

ACTUALY IF AFTER const PROGRAMM STILL COMPILES, THE BINAIES IS EQUAL AND IT SAVE TO KEEP
SHE HAVE TIME TO FIND ALL THIS SHIT AND TEST IT
IT STUPED BUT HARD WORK

fuck off back to taiwan. also checked

this is just a bait thread to see how little it takes for Jow Forums to sperg at women isn't it

Old tired meme, but to explain: she had the time to learn how the kernel works in order to influence the type system. If the retards writing kernel code weren't incompetent, then the variables would have been constants in the first place. Something similar is happening with the switch cases, a lot of them are incorrect and pose security problems, search it. The Ganoo+Lanux kernel also uses GCC, and GCC is better able to optimize variables if they're marked as constant by the programmer.

>If you discovered that something was consistently being assigned to a dynamic variable incorrectly

In case anybody later on tries to mess with the variable. Newsflash: kernels are always on-going projects, they are never finished until they're declared EOL.

>I have to wonder why the fuck she took so long.

I have to wonder why the fuck it's taken anyone on Jow Forums to make a single commit to the kernel.

And you're part of us, dumb fuck white knight

Adding const correctnes to the kernel is God's work.

This

Just checked, looks like 411 of 514 commits authored by her were to add consts.

Attached: image.jpg (1536x2048, 1.31M)

Good fucking lord.

best part is that she commits after each const for artificial commit cred

I'd fuck her

How is that sad? Expecting something in return for volunteer work, that type of person is garbage. I still don't understand why there's any perceived merit involved in working on projects like this or for certain companies, why you guys think it has any meaning.

Locks the value of a variable. It’s actually very important in a kernel and her work made GNU/Linux considerably more secure, I’m assuming the incels are codelets upset a woman has done something they couldn’t.

Codelets simply don’t understand the value of const because they never made anything complex enough for it to matter. One of the main things the Rust trannies did right was make const the default and require the extra keyword for non-const shit.

That's based though. No reason for those variables to not be const, it can only add security and stability

>i would totally program something interesting or useful but the SJWs are the reason I won't
Lmao sure

Pass by reference

>Her intentions are obviously to use the commits to boost her opportunities, not make the kernel better.
Yes, but as a direct result of her actions the Kernel is still more secure to this day, can you say the same about your actions user?

How is it cheating the system when the scholarship she got is allocated exactly for people like her?

>Linux Kernel Guru:
>This category will recognize individuals who have already worked with the Linux kernel community and who can become more valuable contributor

Scholarship literally exists so people like her who have expressed interest and actually pushed patches can go and get a computer science education so they can contribute more. You'd have to be a pretty jealous asshole to take issue with someone getting this scholarship. Let me guess, you'd commit to the kernel if it weren't for the COC and SJWs right?

can we stop having these fucking daily incel threads? this isn't technology

const should never be used in pure ANSI C, use #define instead

>brainlets don't understand the importance of const
it might be a seemingly easy boring / monotone work, but it is important for speed and security.
speed:

consider the following code:
int x;
printf("%d", x);
do_something(&x);
printf("%d", x);

if do_something takes const int*, the compiler is allowed to not re-read x from memory, but store it in -for example- a non-volatile register

security:
weaponizing a limited write vulnerability is harder, because things that aren't meant to be changed cannot be changed, as enforced by the processor.

that has more effort and value than most of whatever someone here has ever done

no wonder kernels past 4.8 went to shit